10 weeks to APF TX State - AnabolicMinds.com

10 weeks to APF TX State

Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last
  1. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

10 weeks to APF TX State

My wait is over and it's time to gear up (pun intended) for April 13th. After some initial debate and thought, I will be competing in the 220lbs weight class instead of 198lbs. I'm currently sitting at almost 230, which is really heavy for me, and I will be closer to 222-224 by the week of the meet. Cutting weight is not something that is new to me, but I don't want to have anything substantial going into this one to keep the number of external factors to a minimum. My primary gear is going to be Metal Ace shirt and Metal Ace suit. The main thing is still in the air is what degree of thickness I will be able to get underneath my suit. I have successfully fit a single-ply under my suit, but haven't tried double-ply since gaining roughly 12-15lbs.

My actual template has been something that has deviated away from conjugate principles to something that is primarily rep effort and max effort. My reason for moving away from dynamic is primarily two-fold. First, I find it extremely boring and something that I don't get psyched to do. Second, and the most important part, is carryover. For whatever reason, I don't see much, if any, carryover from the DE.

I will have a heavy influence of block periodization on this template and will be focusing on strength building instead of strength testing until the final 3-4 weeks when I will start working on my first and second attempts.

Let the ride begin...
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

2. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

In here for the ride and knowledge intake. Good luck. Particularly interested in watching you a few weeks out for tips as our meets are close together.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  3. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Definitely in for this

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/231713-rob112-3-means.html
    "Train like a beast, think like a human"-RTS
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.

Ill be following as well, good luck rodja
  5. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Following for knowledge
    Independent Review
  6. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

1/29

RE Upper

CG Floor Press (thumbs away from smooth)
    225x5x4
    20 reps

JM Press
    155x10
    185x10
    205x9

HS Unilateral Neutral Rows (weight added)
    180x12x4

Facepulls/Pressdowns/Side Laterals
    90x12/90x12/35x12
    3 sets total of each

Getting this log rolling with a triceps oriented day. Made some slight adjustments in my form on floor press with a more narrow grip and a different setup to increase upper back tightness. My grip in my shirt is ring finger on the outer ring and requires more triceps strength compared to my old grip of index finger (max legal grip).

At the end of the night, I had my wife dig out some adhesions in my mid-traps/rotator cuff muscles and could immediately feel the difference in mobility. I guess once you get to a certain level, the self MFR methods don't quite do the job and I need to make this a regular thing.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.

You like the JMs? I've never done them before but seeing them up on your log sparked some interest.
  8. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by NYiron View Post
    You like the JMs? I've never done them before but seeing them up on your log sparked some interest.
    Love/hate relationship. They very difficult in that the leverage is not with you at all and requires great patience and control. I can't deny their effectiveness, though.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  9. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Another one?!

Geez, 1 log ain't enough for you Rodja?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
  10. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Different aim, different log.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  11. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Idk why that picture is attached......
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja

Love/hate relationship. They very difficult in that the leverage is not with you at all and requires great patience and control. I can't deny their effectiveness, though.
    Ill have to give them a shot. The last few months I've refocused my training efforts toward a possible April APF meet as well, being my first meet I'm just looking to put up the best raw numbers I can. I've grown rather bored with my past bodybuilding endeavors and have chosen to capitalize on my base of strength and athleticism. Partly I can say it has been as a result of the knowledge I've acquired on this board and interactions with individuals such as yourself.
  13. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

1/30

510x2
    510x1

SLDL
    315x10x4

Walking DB Lunges
    50x12x4

DB Side Bends
    75x15
    90x10x2
    100x10

Standing Cable Crunches
    110x15x2

Learned a valuable lesson on this day: Pro briefs under my Ace for pulling are a no-go right now. I couldn't get my hips into position as there was too much tension from the gear. Also, adding chains in the center virtually eliminated the flex of the bar and makes the lift more difficult.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  14. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

2/1

Bench
    Worked up to 495x1 (3-board)
    455x2 (2-board)

Facepulls/Tate Press
    90x15x3/35x15x3

Starting to really get this new groove in my shirt. My previous grip and groove was much wider in the elbows and I didn't tuck until I hit a 2-board. With this groove, I tuck much earlier and it allows me to stay tighter in the traps.

One thing I noticed is that I still need to work on driving my heels down a tad more, but everything else looked much better compared to my last shirted video.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  15. Elite Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

In for the rest of this. Been reading up a lot on Block Periodization lately so it'll be cool to follow along. Good luck.
    PES Representative
    Don't miss out on the next deal:
    http://pescience.com/insider
    Protein Backed by Science: http://selectprotein.com
  16. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

2/3

Squat

GM
    185x15
    225x10
    245x10

Ab Wheel
    BWx10x4

First time with briefs and suit since October and it felt really weird at first. The session didn't start off too well as I was having some difficulties keeping my thoracic tight and my hands in place, but I locked in once I hit ~560.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  17. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    2/3

Squat
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tgnl6FrnW8E">YouTube Link</a>
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VLenqkaDbA">YouTube Link</a>
    Awesome
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  18. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332

Awesome
    Agreed. Those are some big squats.

19. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Lower back is quite tight today from Sunday and right shoulder is also tight, but nothing some mobility and ice couldn't help.

2/5

Incline CG
    185x8x2
    205x5x2

DB Rows
    145x15
    145x18

Dips
    BWx15
    BW+25x8
    BW+45x8
    BW+70x5

WY/BB Curls/Rolling Ex
    15x6/85x12/30x12
    15x6/85x12/30x12

I got in some really solid work on this day. Decided to throw in dips as my supplemental move to change things a bit and because I couldn't find a good handoff guy for some 2-board presses. One thing that I noticed, and this is very positive, is that my upper back mobility is improved and I was able to hold extra tightness during the CG incline and dips.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  20. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

2/6

Sumo
    405x5x3
    455x3

Suspended Cambered GM
    225x5
    245x5
    275x5
    315x5x2

Unilateral LP/Standing Cable Crunches
    360x15x3/110x15x3

Used more of a RE today based off of Prilepin's chart and hit the "optimal" reps based off my projected 1RM. I didn't attempt anything near failure and worked primarily speed and technique with the GM variation as my primary muscle builder.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  21. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.

Those are serious GMs man

22. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by rob112 View Post
    Those are serious GMs man

Thanks.

Although it's not part of my total, I've made it a goal to get to 375-405x3-5 on suspended GM by the end of the year. These easily have the best carryover to my squat. They're not as important to my deadlift since I pull sumo, but anytime you strengthen your entire posterior chain, good things will follow.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  23. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Wow, I wondered what had happened to your old log. I always look to your logs for insight.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/230377-13-weeks-rps.html
  24. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post
    Wow, I wondered what had happened to your old log. I always look to your logs for insight.
    Started this one as a specific log for this meet. My other log was more of a general training log.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  25. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Well, count me in.
    Training log:
  26. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Ok, now that I'm caught up, I have a question. I see that when you squat, your shins are damn near perfectly vertical. When I squat, I sit back until I think I'm going to fall, and my knees still come almost all the way out to my toes. Why is that?
    Training log:
  27. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Ok, now that I'm caught up, I have a question. I see that when you squat, your shins are damn near perfectly vertical. When I squat, I sit back until I think I'm going to fall, and my knees still come almost all the way out to my toes. Why is that?
    It's the gear. With each layer that you add, you have to sit back further on your hips and push the knees out hard to move the weight.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  28. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

2/8 Bench

Close Grip
    225x8x3

Tate Press/External Rotations (mini)
    35x15x3/15x3

Easily my best bench ever in a shirt. I ****ing nailed it today. On each set in the video (both of which were PRs), I had another rep in me, but my lumbar cramped after the single. Either way, I am far ahead of my pace and am extremely happy with my progress. Next week will be floor press per my 2:1 of shirted:raw work.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  29. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

****ing solid Rodja. That looks great.
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  30. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

****ing SMOKED both of them. How many boards? Video quality on my phone is bad.
    Training log:
  31. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

****ing SMOKED both of them. How many boards? Video quality on my phone is bad.
    2 boards. I wanted to go for a double with each of them, but my lumbar had other plans.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  32. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Subbed, you know I am an addict for your training insights and also for the sport too haha.

Congratz on the bench Ryan!
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  33. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Ah. Understandable. Looks like the rest of you was ready for it. The arch hasn't gotten easier for you as you've gone along? Mine has, even as I've gotten better at forcing my ass toward my scapula.
    Training log:
  34. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Ah. Understandable. Looks like the rest of you was ready for it. The arch hasn't gotten easier for you as you've gone along? Mine has, even as I've gotten better at forcing my ass toward my scapula.
    The shirt changes the arch and forces more pressure onto you. Gear amplifies the amount of tightness that you need or the shirt will fold you.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  35. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Killin it. Vids look good, but then again, I expected as much
  36. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

DAMN BRO> Awesome bench brah!!!
    Independent Review
  37. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  171 lbs.

Whoa how long have you been lifting seriously??
  38. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.

Killed that bench!

39. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post

The shirt changes the arch and forces more pressure onto you. Gear amplifies the amount of tightness that you need or the shirt will fold you.
    True. The groove for my shirt with the back closed was mid-pec and even that tried to flatten me.
    Training log:
  40. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by JD261985 View Post
    Whoa how long have you been lifting seriously??
    I've been lifting for 11 years not with the past 3 PL oriented.
    True. The groove for my shirt with the back closed was mid-pec and even that tried to flatten me.
    That was probably a single-ply as well. Depending on the cut and shirt type, some of them place more pressure on the chest and others on the triceps. One of the guys I train with uses a grid-stitched Inzer Rage X, which is puts all the pressure in the triceps and is extremely difficult to move.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. 10 weeks to get from 207 to 185-190
    By houseofpainhulk in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-01-2010, 01:21 PM
  2. My 10 Weeks to strength
    By bsandora in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-14-2009, 11:37 AM
  3. Replies: 5