Jim: Performance is King Log. - AnabolicMinds.com

Jim: Performance is King Log.

Page 1 of 56 1236 ... Last
  1. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Jim: Performance is King Log.

This is going to be my permanent home on AM for the foreseeable future. I will be logging everything from my supplementation, training, and nutrition.

For those that don't know me my name is Jim, I am currently active duty army and for those that know that means I workout 2x a day M-F. The morning PT session is always some type of endurance event, occasionally crossfit but normally a run or a ruck. Very taxing on the body and my naturally fast metabolism means I have to eat a TON of food just to make meager progress as far as weight gain goes.

This coming year my main goals are to get up to 175-180 pounds and to stay lean or get leaner than I am now.

I am 5'9" (depending on who you ask) and weigh in at about 165 pounds. I will get an official weigh in and my baseline measurements here in the next week or so.

I will try to keep this log as updated and in depth as possible and if any of you have any questions feel free to ask and I will answer them to the best of my ability. My training is a little bit different that what is generally seen on this forum, the programming is done by our very own zir.red and I have seen some fantastic progress in this past month working with him. My discipline while on leave is not what it should have been and I head back to Bragg tomorrow and will be able to get back into my regular schedule.

As the title states, performance is king. My training revolves around it and my end goals are almost all performance related. I will try to get a baseline 100m time for you guys (and myself) so that I can keep track of my progress over the course of this year. As I have stated before I need to be faster, stronger, and more agile than I have ever been.

I am keeping this mostly for myself, I need to be able to easily track my progress and this will help keep me accountable throughout this year.

I will also try to keep this updated with interesting articles and studies that I come across, I'm normally on the mobile app so a lot of times my updates will be brief. I may not start this today as I am currently keeping up an AppNut log but I will be trying to keep up with both with AppNut's obviously being the priority for now.

2. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

First
  3. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by bmftisftw View Post
    First
    Holy crap! Good to have you brother, but damn that was fast!
    •   

4. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick

Holy crap! Good to have you brother, but damn that was fast!
    Hell yeah and of course Im practically a stalker
  5. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Hell yeah and of course Im practically a stalker
    There's nothing wrong with that! :wink:
  6. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.

2nd
    BOARD TYRANT
  7. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  230 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

3rd.
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  8. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Piston Honda View Post
    2nd
    Quote Originally Posted by breezy11 View Post
    3rd.
    Good to have you guys. First workout will be tomorrow, the gym was closed today.
  9. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.

"Performance is King" or is this about your "King Log," ie your pischtuk?
    BOARD TYRANT
  10. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

"Performance is King" or is this about your "King Log," ie your pischtuk?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neUaS...e_gdata_player
  11. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Ill update OP for my nutrition info when I hash it out for the new year. Going for a solid gain of 1lb per month.
  12. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Drank for the first time in 2 years last night. I deeply regret it right now.
  13. Elite Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Re: Jim: Performance is King Log.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    Drank for the first time in 2 years last night. I deeply regret it right now.
    From now on, just drink your protein shakes...lol
  14. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by vidapreta View Post

From now on, just drink your protein shakes...lol
    Lol I have to, I used up this years allotment last night.

All of it.

Its funny because I never drink, I just don't like it. And I've also never had a hangover until today.

It was the liquor-beer-liquor transition that screwed me.
  15. Elite Member

Re: Jim: Performance is King Log.

Lol I have to, I used up this years allotment last night.

All of it.

Its funny because I never drink, I just don't like it. And I've also never had a hangover until today.

It was the liquor-beer-liquor transition that screwed me.
    That's why I can't drink.. I can't handle the hangovers, I'm a big baby with that, I need 2 days just to get over it, just hating life...lol
  16. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Back at Bragg

Went to the gym today to do a prowler workout.

Popped 4xIGF-2, 2xSuperCissus, 6xUptake on the way to the gym (I don't normally take IGF-2 and SC before a workout but I was on the road all day so that was the best time for it)

The workout was supposed to be:

Dynamic Track Warmup
    Band Resisted March - 3x20M
    Prowler Sprints- 10x40M @100%BW
    Cool Down Pacer- 5x50M

What I actually accomplished:
    Dynamic Track Warmup
    Band Resisted March- 3x20M
    Prowler Sprint- 6x40M @ 160lbs +sled
    Cool Down Pacer- 5x50M

The prowler sprints kicked my @ss.

Now that I'm back to my regular schedule I should be able to get back some of the weight I lost over leave. I always loose a few pounds over leave and if I had to guess I would put my weight now anywhere from 161-163 lbs, I just don't have access to the amount of food that I eat on a regular day while I'm on leave and I spend too much time sleeping and don't leave myself much time to eat!

Hope everyone had a great holiday season.
  17. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

In bro
    Email me for free prodigy samples
    Ricky@pni-online.com
    www.pni-online.com
  18. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.

nice workout jim!! wish i had a prowler!!
  19. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by howwedo107 View Post
    In bro
    Good to have you brother!

nice workout jim!! wish i had a prowler!!
    Its great to have but sometimes I wish I didn't! (Like today for example) lol
  20. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.

haha does it suck that much?
  21. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

haha does it suck that much?
    Its a love/hate thing.

Its so effective as a conditioning tool and for my sprinting speed but its such a kick in the d!ck.
  22. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

May or may not workout today.

I am pretty sure we have a record PT test tomorrow morning and if we so I won't be working out after work.

Will probably go with 3 Uptake before the PT test and then 3-4 before my workout that afternoon.
  23. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

in it!
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  24. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    in it!
    Good to have you buddy.
  25. Elite Member

Its a love/hate thing.
    Stop stealing my lines..
  26. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by vidapreta View Post
    Stop stealing my lines..
    I prefer the term "borrow"
  27. Elite Member

I prefer the term "borrow"
    Fair enough Jim, just remember to give it back when your done with it.
  28. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

No PT for me today. I had to go to the dentist today.

I do have a PT test tomorrow so instead of the lifting day I had planned I did the track workout that I would have done tomorrow.

I did it at about 3/4 speed and then came home and stretched and foam rolled to make sure that none of my muscles (specifically my tight hip flexors) would cause me any problems tomorrow.

Lateral Pillar March 2 x 20m/direction
    Rapid Response Lateral 3 x 15 sec, 45 sec recover
    Lateral Band March 2 x 20m/direction
    Lateral Shuffle 2 x 20m/direction
    Crossover step sprint 3 x 15m/direction
    Falling start sprint 3 x 15m/direction
    Cool Down Pacers 5 x 50m

My total kCal was 3500 for today, higher in fat and lower in carbs than most days but I also didn't do as much so I didn't need as many carbs.
  29. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Went to the field for three days, got back last night. Sorry for the silence all.

Was supposed to hit a back squat workout yesterday, but nobody wants to do that after staying in the woods for three days so I did it today instead.

It went well (as well as Squat day can go lol)

Pre Workout: .5 Scoop of ErgoPump + 6 Vasotropin. (Have no logging commitment til Monday so I figured I'd tap into my stash for PWO today lol)

Headed to the gym and did my activations and corrective exercises for my warmup and then assessed my 1RM for back squat (training max no grinding it out)

Current Max: 315, (hit 325 but it was a grind so the training max will be 315) 135x3 (WU), 185x3 (WU), 225x1, 275x1 w/belt, 315x1 w/belt, 325x1 w/belt

Back Squat: 5x3 @85%
    265x3x5

Good Mornings: 3x10-12
    95x10, 135x10, 185x8 w/belt

Complex 1: Complete with weak side first then repeat with strong side = 1 set

RFE Split Squat: 2x8 // 60x8, 70x8
    1 Leg Bridge: 2x10 // BWx10x2 (OUCH!)
    BB Roll Out: 3x5 // x5x2
    Turkish Get up: 3x5 // 20x5x2
    Cable Wood Chop: 3x6 // 40x6, 60x6

The gym closed before I could finish, but my core was (and still is) on fire! The roll outs were supposed to be Band Resisted (referred to as BR from this point onwards) but I forgot to bring my band.

This past month of unilateral work and mobility work has really helped my squat, my glutes are still mildly underactive but it is much easier to sit back into the squat and I am able to comfortable do it from shoulder width, as opposed to the wider stance I had to use previously. Was shocked by the 325 considering I haven't squatted for a month!

Diet was all over the place today, hit up some McDonalds earlier today. Shouldn't have but it tasted fantastic at the time

Will be headed to the gym earlier in the afternoon tomorrow for OH Press, hopefully I'll be able to walk by then!
  30. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

Yeahhhh squat day! Gettin myself a new squat max tomorrow.

Your log makes me slightly motivated to kick my cardio up a notch

So what about McD's. I ate at a Chinese buffet 2 nights in a row. I was going to go for a 3rd until I thought I'd be funny and google reviews of the place..

What else do you throw in with your OHP day?
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  31. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

As promised my first educational post is a article from elitefts (for those that aren't on the newsletter for that site)

Dips Done Right

By Joe GiandonatoPublished: January 9, 2013
    Posted in: Training
    Tags: dips, John Giandonato, pressing movements, shoulder injury, triceps development

Aside from ass to grass squats and overhead presses, has there been an exercise as wrongly vilified as dips? Usually, dips serve as one of the great divides between the hardcore strength athletes and the folks they’d deem as the pencil-necked corrective exercise geeks.

Bodybuilders have credited dips for armoring their chest and triceps with dense layers of muscle while some powerlifters and Strongman competitors have boosted their pressing strength by incorporating dips as assistance exercises. Taking a gander at heavily muscled male gymnasts, you’ll note their immensely developed triceps. Think they’re camping out at the cable stack at your local commercial gym performing endless sets of press-downs? Nope. Instead, they’re performing an array of dipping and pressing movements throughout their lengthy practices each day. What about folks who don’t have access to weight rooms but often have a set of parallel bars at their disposal, such as prisoners, members of our armed forces, and bodyweight extraordinaire, Hannibal the King of YouTube fame? They all share one commonality—incredible triceps development.

Conversely, the mesh Polo shirt wearing, clipboard toting, Bosu ball bouncing, hyper analytical, pseudo physical therapist personal trainers have demonized parallel dips, arguing that they destroy the shoulder and elbow joints. While there’s some credence to their argument because parallel dips aren’t advised for individuals such as throwing athletes, those with anterior shoulder instability, and pre-existing elbow pain, they shouldn’t be entirely steered clear of, especially by healthy lifters and athletes.

Performing dips with an extra wide grip should be avoided because they predispose the shoulder to injury by forcing it into near maximal external rotation. This is akin to bench pressing with a really wide grip. Also, performing dips with an extended range of motion in which the biceps and forearms make contact will increase rotation at the shoulder, perhaps contributing to impingement over time. Going really low also overstretches the pectoralis, increasing the likelihood of tearing it.

Functional anatomy

The triceps (primarily the lateral and medial heads), sternal and clavicular heads of the pectoralis major, anterior deltoid, scapulothoracic, and core musculature, all work in accord during the movement. The scapulothoracic muscles collectively stabilize the scapulae during the movement, especially as the descent is commenced. The core resists any movement, specifically lateral sway, which occurs right off the bat in lesser experienced lifters and weaker individuals or late in the set when fatigue begins to set in. The pectoralis and anterior deltoids provide the initial push at the bottom while the triceps, along with the aconeus, take over the movement when the elbow approaches 90 degrees of flexion, helping to lock the elbows out to complete the movement. The pectoralis will again be called upon if the parallel bars are spaced apart at shoulder width or if the lifter is executing the dip with a forward torso lean.

How to properly perform dips

Dips, like squats, deadlifts, and seemingly every other movement, can invite injury when the movement is botched. Ideally, before attempting a dip, you should be able to bang out fifty push-ups with strict form consecutively. You should also be free of any pre-existing shoulder or elbow pathology.

First, assume a shoulder width or slightly wider than shoulder width grip on the parallel bars. Some wall mounted parallel bars flare out at the ends. Avoid grasping this part. Selectorized assisted pull-up and dip machines will typically have handles that rotate and lock into place, allowing you to go wide or narrow, depending on your preference. Flip the handles inward to keep the hand placement narrow, at least initially.

If there isn’t a foot plate or step attached to the machine or located below the parallel bars, situate a low plyometric box, stack of plates, or aerobic steppers beneath the bars. Alternatively, you can grasp the parallel bars and jump into place.

Once you’re atop the parallel bars with your elbows locked out, perform the following before descending:

Inhale while simultaneously bracing the core and locking the hips into extension. If the parallel bars are high off the ground, you may keep your knees extended. If not (or if you’re freakishly tall), bend your knees, crossing one foot over the other, to keep them from hitting the ground.
    Keep the chin tucked and squeeze the shoulder blades together. This will prevent any scapular elevation or excessive shoulder extension from occurring.
    Using the handles, pull yourself down slowly, as if you’re rowing the handles to your chest. Do not drop down.
    Keep a slight forward lean. Allow your torso to “drift” away from the handles slightly. This helps balance the stress imposed on the shoulders and elbows equally because now they’ll be stacked atop each other.
    Descend to the point of a stretch, not pain. Ideally, you should feel a slight stretch of both heads of the pectoralis major as well as the anterior deltoid. You should not sink below where the elbow achieves 90 degrees of flexion or where the back of your arm is parallel with the ceiling.
    Exhale while driving with the heel of the palm to initiate the push of the anterior delts and chest. Focus on pushing the bars down and away from you as if you’re scaling a fence.
    Continue to exhale while you extend the elbows. There isn’t any need to forcefully lock out the elbows.
    Additional considerations

It should be noted that maximal elbow extension torque doesn’t occur near full extension. Instead, it takes place when the elbow is at 90 degrees of flexion. Multi-joint pressing movements such as the dip suggest that the length of a muscle, not leverage, determines the point in the range of motion where elbow extension torque naturally occurs (1). For the bodybuilders and lifters seeking hypertrophic development of the long head of the triceps, it should be noted that the long head doesn’t possess an optimal length/tension relationship during 90 degrees of elbow flexion with minimal shoulder flexion. Instead, it occurs at close to 90 degrees of elbow flexion and full shoulder flexion.
    If you aren’t strong enough to perform dips, don’t use the platform attachment of assisted pull-up and dip machines. They don’t optimally accommodate the strength curve of the exercise. Instead, wrap bands around the handles and position yourself inside the bands. The contribution of the machine is continuous whereas the bands will provide you a boost from where you’re generally the weakest—the bottom.
    Alternatively, you may use the bands to overload the movement by wrapping them over your shoulders behind the neck.
    With regards to loading, vests are a better option if your shoulder integrity isn’t up to par. Having plates attached to a belt will actively pull you down, pushing your shoulders into extension and forcing them into internal rotation while stretching the joint capsule and forcing the upper back to round a bit more. As you get stronger, it’s best to balance the load with a vest and a belt.
    Firmly grasping the handles, which are typically thicker than barbells, will not only bolster your crushing grip but will also prevent lateral elbow pain and increase neural drive to the muscles of the rotator cuff, which dynamically stabilizes the head of the humerus allowing for smoother articulation of the shoulder joint during the movement.
    Dips should not replace bench pressing variations, which include board presses, pin presses, floor presses, and presses with variable resistance in a powerlifting training program. However, they are awesome as an accessory movement, during a deload, or as a great finisher when performed with body weight only. For bodybuilders, dips are safer when wanting to move heavy loads while training alone and may be used as a main pressing movement within one’s program temporarily or permanently.
    Dips, when performed correctly, are one of the most potent movements for developing the chest and triceps and boosting pressing strength. Adhere to the aforementioned guidelines and watch your upper body grow and your bench numbers soar.

References

Neumman DA (2002) Kinesiology of the Musculoskeletal System. St. Louis, MO: Mosby.
  32. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    Yeahhhh squat day! Gettin myself a new squat max tomorrow.

Your log makes me slightly motivated to kick my cardio up a notch

So what about McD's. I ate at a Chinese buffet 2 nights in a row. I was going to go for a 3rd until I thought I'd be funny and google reviews of the place..

What else do you throw in with your OHP day?
    This will be tomorrow, it's my only press day. It's based off of my PT schedule for the month which involved a lot of horizontal pressing already so my training reflects that and will correct any potential imbalances that could occur from a poorly programmed PT schedule and will still allow me to progress as per my own goals.

Strict Standing Military Press
    Close Grip Press

Complex 1
    Half Kneeling DB Over Head Press
    Dumbbell Row
    Chest Dips

Complex 2
    Single Leg Supine Bridge
    Prone Bridge March
    Face Pulls
    Band Resisted No-Monies
  33. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

As promised my first article for this log, taken from elitefts.

Link: http://articles.elitefts.com/trainin...ps-done-right/

Dips Done Right

By Joe GiandonatoPublished: January 9, 2013
    Posted in: Training
    Tags: dips, John Giandonato, pressing movements, shoulder injury, triceps development

Aside from ass to grass squats and overhead presses, has there been an exercise as wrongly vilified as dips? Usually, dips serve as one of the great divides between the hardcore strength athletes and the folks they’d deem as the pencil-necked corrective exercise geeks.

Bodybuilders have credited dips for armoring their chest and triceps with dense layers of muscle while some powerlifters and Strongman competitors have boosted their pressing strength by incorporating dips as assistance exercises. Taking a gander at heavily muscled male gymnasts, you’ll note their immensely developed triceps. Think they’re camping out at the cable stack at your local commercial gym performing endless sets of press-downs? Nope. Instead, they’re performing an array of dipping and pressing movements throughout their lengthy practices each day. What about folks who don’t have access to weight rooms but often have a set of parallel bars at their disposal, such as prisoners, members of our armed forces, and bodyweight extraordinaire, Hannibal the King of YouTube fame? They all share one commonality—incredible triceps development.

Conversely, the mesh Polo shirt wearing, clipboard toting, Bosu ball bouncing, hyper analytical, pseudo physical therapist personal trainers have demonized parallel dips, arguing that they destroy the shoulder and elbow joints. While there’s some credence to their argument because parallel dips aren’t advised for individuals such as throwing athletes, those with anterior shoulder instability, and pre-existing elbow pain, they shouldn’t be entirely steered clear of, especially by healthy lifters and athletes.

Performing dips with an extra wide grip should be avoided because they predispose the shoulder to injury by forcing it into near maximal external rotation. This is akin to bench pressing with a really wide grip. Also, performing dips with an extended range of motion in which the biceps and forearms make contact will increase rotation at the shoulder, perhaps contributing to impingement over time. Going really low also overstretches the pectoralis, increasing the likelihood of tearing it.

Functional anatomy

The triceps (primarily the lateral and medial heads), sternal and clavicular heads of the pectoralis major, anterior deltoid, scapulothoracic, and core musculature, all work in accord during the movement. The scapulothoracic muscles collectively stabilize the scapulae during the movement, especially as the descent is commenced. The core resists any movement, specifically lateral sway, which occurs right off the bat in lesser experienced lifters and weaker individuals or late in the set when fatigue begins to set in. The pectoralis and anterior deltoids provide the initial push at the bottom while the triceps, along with the aconeus, take over the movement when the elbow approaches 90 degrees of flexion, helping to lock the elbows out to complete the movement. The pectoralis will again be called upon if the parallel bars are spaced apart at shoulder width or if the lifter is executing the dip with a forward torso lean.

How to properly perform dips

Dips, like squats, deadlifts, and seemingly every other movement, can invite injury when the movement is botched. Ideally, before attempting a dip, you should be able to bang out fifty push-ups with strict form consecutively. You should also be free of any pre-existing shoulder or elbow pathology.

First, assume a shoulder width or slightly wider than shoulder width grip on the parallel bars. Some wall mounted parallel bars flare out at the ends. Avoid grasping this part. Selectorized assisted pull-up and dip machines will typically have handles that rotate and lock into place, allowing you to go wide or narrow, depending on your preference. Flip the handles inward to keep the hand placement narrow, at least initially.

If there isn’t a foot plate or step attached to the machine or located below the parallel bars, situate a low plyometric box, stack of plates, or aerobic steppers beneath the bars. Alternatively, you can grasp the parallel bars and jump into place.

Once you’re atop the parallel bars with your elbows locked out, perform the following before descending:

Inhale while simultaneously bracing the core and locking the hips into extension. If the parallel bars are high off the ground, you may keep your knees extended. If not (or if you’re freakishly tall), bend your knees, crossing one foot over the other, to keep them from hitting the ground.
    Keep the chin tucked and squeeze the shoulder blades together. This will prevent any scapular elevation or excessive shoulder extension from occurring.
    Using the handles, pull yourself down slowly, as if you’re rowing the handles to your chest. Do not drop down.
    Keep a slight forward lean. Allow your torso to “drift” away from the handles slightly. This helps balance the stress imposed on the shoulders and elbows equally because now they’ll be stacked atop each other.
    Descend to the point of a stretch, not pain. Ideally, you should feel a slight stretch of both heads of the pectoralis major as well as the anterior deltoid. You should not sink below where the elbow achieves 90 degrees of flexion or where the back of your arm is parallel with the ceiling.
    Exhale while driving with the heel of the palm to initiate the push of the anterior delts and chest. Focus on pushing the bars down and away from you as if you’re scaling a fence.
    Continue to exhale while you extend the elbows. There isn’t any need to forcefully lock out the elbows.
    Additional considerations

It should be noted that maximal elbow extension torque doesn’t occur near full extension. Instead, it takes place when the elbow is at 90 degrees of flexion. Multi-joint pressing movements such as the dip suggest that the length of a muscle, not leverage, determines the point in the range of motion where elbow extension torque naturally occurs (1). For the bodybuilders and lifters seeking hypertrophic development of the long head of the triceps, it should be noted that the long head doesn’t possess an optimal length/tension relationship during 90 degrees of elbow flexion with minimal shoulder flexion. Instead, it occurs at close to 90 degrees of elbow flexion and full shoulder flexion.
    If you aren’t strong enough to perform dips, don’t use the platform attachment of assisted pull-up and dip machines. They don’t optimally accommodate the strength curve of the exercise. Instead, wrap bands around the handles and position yourself inside the bands. The contribution of the machine is continuous whereas the bands will provide you a boost from where you’re generally the weakest—the bottom.
    Alternatively, you may use the bands to overload the movement by wrapping them over your shoulders behind the neck.
    With regards to loading, vests are a better option if your shoulder integrity isn’t up to par. Having plates attached to a belt will actively pull you down, pushing your shoulders into extension and forcing them into internal rotation while stretching the joint capsule and forcing the upper back to round a bit more. As you get stronger, it’s best to balance the load with a vest and a belt.
    Firmly grasping the handles, which are typically thicker than barbells, will not only bolster your crushing grip but will also prevent lateral elbow pain and increase neural drive to the muscles of the rotator cuff, which dynamically stabilizes the head of the humerus allowing for smoother articulation of the shoulder joint during the movement.
    Dips should not replace bench pressing variations, which include board presses, pin presses, floor presses, and presses with variable resistance in a powerlifting training program. However, they are awesome as an accessory movement, during a deload, or as a great finisher when performed with body weight only. For bodybuilders, dips are safer when wanting to move heavy loads while training alone and may be used as a main pressing movement within one’s program temporarily or permanently.
    Dips, when performed correctly, are one of the most potent movements for developing the chest and triceps and boosting pressing strength. Adhere to the aforementioned guidelines and watch your upper body grow and your bench numbers soar.

References

Neumman DA (2002) Kinesiology of the Musculoskeletal System. St. Louis, MO: Mosby.
  34. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.

Great job so far, and informative too!
    BOARD TYRANT
  35. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Great job so far, and informative too!
    Thanks brother.

Hit dat dere upper body workout today, it literally whooped my @SS.

Hittin up some golden corral post workout and headed home. Will update tonight.
  36. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Pre Workout: 1 scoop CL White Flood (tastes so bad!), 6 Vasotropin (same as yesterday, just reachin in the stash until tomorrow)

OH Press: Strict 1RM - 135 (was hoping for 155 but it was a grind and I needed an initial push off of the chest)
    5X3@85% 1RM - 115x3x5

Close Grip Bench - 3x10-12
    135x10, 155x6, 135x7.5 (was hoping for 185 but my tri's were burnt out before I even got here)

Complex 1 - Unilateral

1/2 Kneeling DB OH Press - 2x8 per side // 40x8x2
    DB Row- 2x8 per side // 40x8, 60x8
    Chest Dips (used the machine) 2x6 per round // 90x6x2, 180x6x2 (used the machine because it's closer to the DB's, just more convenient)

Complex 2- Unilateral

1 Leg Bridge- 3x12 // BWx12x3 (OUCH SO SORE!)
    Prone March- 3x5 // BWx5x3
    Face Pulls- 3x12 per round // 70x12x4, 80x12x2
    BR No Monies- 3x10 per round // EH x10x6

Looked vascular as fuark today too. Which is a shock for me because I am not particularly vascular usually. The wife pointed it out during the OH Presses, it looked awesome while doing No Monies. Hoping this continues to improve over this year.

EH refers to my extra heavy band which, especially for no monies, really is EXTRA heavy. Will be buying a lighter band for next week. My entire body from the core down is sore from yesterday and after today I am positive that my upper body will follow suit tomorrow.

Because I missed Monday's DL workout this week (had to do crossfit with the unit ) I will be assessing my training max this Monday and then proceeding with the workout as planned (which will blow I am sure).

Hit up GC after my workout and got 2 steaks, some shrimp, catfish, taters, mac n cheese, green beans, mushrooms, and some jelly beans! Headed to the movies soon and will be eating again after the movie before I head to bed tonight.
  37. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Will be posting more regularly in my PNI log for the next few weeks.

Jims Creatively Titled PNI Log
  38. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Today started my HT mesocycle, the focus is on TUT for hypertrophy. My weight took a shot during this field operation but I came back strong had a solid workout and flew through it. Focus was incredible, especially considering how tired I have been all day and the pump today was awesome. Sweated up a storm and beat my upper body up.

Pre-Workout: 1.5 scoop Prodigy (Loved this amount)

Intra: .25 scoop Prodigy, Powerade (drank my wifes powerade as well)

12FEB2013 Upper HT 1

Incline Press- 3x10 // 135x10, 145x9, 145x5 +2 (thought I could push it out for 10 after the set of 9 but the lowered rest killed me)

Chest Supported DB Rear Delt Row- 3x10 // 30x7, 20x10, 25x10 (strong contraction)

a1. WG Cable Row- 3x12 // 80x12, 90x12, 100x10
    a2. DB Bench w/ Bridge- 3x10 // 50x10, 60x10, 70x7.5

b1. Face Pulls- 3x12 // 70x12, 80x12, 110x12 (these got easier on the second set)
    b2. Lying Tri Ext- 3x10 // 20x10, 25x10, 25x9
    b3. Ext Shoulder Rot.- 3x12 // 10x12, 20x12x2
    b4. Standing Cable Crunch- 3x12 // 60x12, 90x12, 130x12

Felt awesome for a first day back, never have been a fan of incline bench but I think I finally figured out my groove for it today. I was pumped up today, especially in my back and traps. I felt GOOD. Will pick back up with the Paragon and rest of my staples tomorrow morning.

Trying to get some of this GET BIG work in here, hoping to get up to 185-190 (end goal) and stay fast so I can walk on a team when I get out and go to college.

Hit up this workout today, gonna try to start posting in here as well.
  39. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

subbed
  40. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Apparently the crappiest 2 days in my military career lead to some awesome workouts.

Pre-Workout: 1.5 scoops Prodigy (this is friggin awesome at 1.5 scoops)

Intra: Butt ton of water. Like a lot.

Trap Bar Deadlift: 3x10
    225x10, 275x10, 315x7

Good Morning:3x10
    135x10, 185x10, 225x10 PR(had planned on doing a second of the 185 but it felt great so I upped to 225)

a1. DB RDL: 3x12 // 30x12, 40x12, 45x12
    a2. RFE Split Squat: 3x10 // 80x10x2, 90x10

b1. BB Hip Bridge: 3x12 // 135x12x2, 155x12
    b2. Psoas March: 3x10 // BWx10x3
    b3. Monster Walk: 3x12 // N/A (forgot my friggin band at work)
    b4. Swiss Ball Roll Out: 3x12 // BWx12x3

Went into the gym with a lot of soreness in my knee (the bad one), normally it isn't an issue but being off of the joint support for the last 8 days and then being forced to run with the pose method at PT this morning and it is inflamed! Didn't really notice it once I got moving but I am definitely feeling the pain right now. I try to explain to them that I cannot run that way because the acute contraction of my upper leg leads to improper patellal tracking (diagnosed) and inflames the tendons and ligaments, it isn't really a fun thing.

It also doesn't help because I'm not a SGT and if you aren't a SGT it doesn't matter what you know because you are wrong. Even though I'm the only one with any background in fitness

As yesterday, focus and energy were awesome. Can't say much in the way of pumps (it was leg day afterall) but I felt good! Strength was there and I was moving some weight today. Thermogenic effect was definitely strengthened, I was literally dripping sweat right from the get go, relieved a lot of stress. Now I'm just hoping PT tomorrow morning isn't ridiculous because I am going to be HURTING!

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 126
    Last Post: 07-16-2009, 03:49 PM
  2. Jim Tressel is a...
    By CEDeoudes59 in forum Sports Talk
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-25-2006, 09:51 PM
  3. Jim Bunning is a friggin MORON!
    By oldfart in forum Politics
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-17-2005, 06:21 PM
  4. letrozole....is king