Jim: Performance is King Log.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is going to be my permanent home on AM for the foreseeable future. I will be logging everything from my supplementation, training, and nutrition.

For those that don't know me my name is Jim, I am currently active duty army and for those that know that means I workout 2x a day M-F. The morning PT session is always some type of endurance event, occasionally crossfit but normally a run or a ruck. Very taxing on the body and my naturally fast metabolism means I have to eat a TON of food just to make meager progress as far as weight gain goes.

This coming year my main goals are to get up to 175-180 pounds and to stay lean or get leaner than I am now.

I am 5'9" (depending on who you ask) and weigh in at about 165 pounds. I will get an official weigh in and my baseline measurements here in the next week or so.

I will try to keep this log as updated and in depth as possible and if any of you have any questions feel free to ask and I will answer them to the best of my ability. My training is a little bit different that what is generally seen on this forum, the programming is done by our very own zir.red and I have seen some fantastic progress in this past month working with him. My discipline while on leave is not what it should have been and I head back to Bragg tomorrow and will be able to get back into my regular schedule.

As the title states, performance is king. My training revolves around it and my end goals are almost all performance related. I will try to get a baseline 100m time for you guys (and myself) so that I can keep track of my progress over the course of this year. As I have stated before I need to be faster, stronger, and more agile than I have ever been.

I am keeping this mostly for myself, I need to be able to easily track my progress and this will help keep me accountable throughout this year.

I will also try to keep this updated with interesting articles and studies that I come across, I'm normally on the mobile app so a lot of times my updates will be brief. I may not start this today as I am currently keeping up an AppNut log but I will be trying to keep up with both with AppNut's obviously being the priority for now.

bmftisftw

bmftisftw

Banned
Awards
First

bmftisftw

bmftisftw

Banned
Awards
Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
2nd

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
3rd.

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
"Performance is King" or is this about your "King Log," ie your pischtuk?

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ill update OP for my nutrition info when I hash it out for the new year. Going for a solid gain of 1lb per month.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Drank for the first time in 2 years last night. I deeply regret it right now.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
From now on, just drink your protein shakes...lol
Lol I have to, I used up this years allotment last night.

All of it.

Its funny because I never drink, I just don't like it. And I've also never had a hangover until today.

It was the liquor-beer-liquor transition that screwed me.

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lol I have to, I used up this years allotment last night.

All of it.

Its funny because I never drink, I just don't like it. And I've also never had a hangover until today.

It was the liquor-beer-liquor transition that screwed me.
That's why I can't drink.. I can't handle the hangovers, I'm a big baby with that, I need 2 days just to get over it, just hating life...lol

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Back at Bragg :sad:

Went to the gym today to do a prowler workout.

Popped 4xIGF-2, 2xSuperCissus, 6xUptake on the way to the gym (I don't normally take IGF-2 and SC before a workout but I was on the road all day so that was the best time for it)

The workout was supposed to be:

Dynamic Track Warmup
Band Resisted March - 3x20M
Prowler Sprints- 10x40M @100%BW
Cool Down Pacer- 5x50M

What I actually accomplished:
Dynamic Track Warmup
Band Resisted March- 3x20M
Prowler Sprint- 6x40M @ 160lbs +sled
Cool Down Pacer- 5x50M

The prowler sprints kicked my @ss.

Now that I'm back to my regular schedule I should be able to get back some of the weight I lost over leave. I always loose a few pounds over leave and if I had to guess I would put my weight now anywhere from 161-163 lbs, I just don't have access to the amount of food that I eat on a regular day while I'm on leave and I spend too much time sleeping and don't leave myself much time to eat!

Hope everyone had a great holiday season.

bmftisftw

bmftisftw

Banned
Awards
nice workout jim!! wish i had a prowler!!

bmftisftw

bmftisftw

Banned
Awards
haha does it suck that much?

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
May or may not workout today.

I am pretty sure we have a record PT test tomorrow morning and if we so I won't be working out after work.

Will probably go with 3 Uptake before the PT test and then 3-4 before my workout that afternoon.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No PT for me today. I had to go to the dentist today.

I do have a PT test tomorrow so instead of the lifting day I had planned I did the track workout that I would have done tomorrow.

I did it at about 3/4 speed and then came home and stretched and foam rolled to make sure that none of my muscles (specifically my tight hip flexors) would cause me any problems tomorrow.

Lateral Pillar March 2 x 20m/direction
Rapid Response Lateral 3 x 15 sec, 45 sec recover
Lateral Band March 2 x 20m/direction
Lateral Shuffle 2 x 20m/direction
Crossover step sprint 3 x 15m/direction
Falling start sprint 3 x 15m/direction
Cool Down Pacers 5 x 50m

My total kCal was 3500 for today, higher in fat and lower in carbs than most days but I also didn't do as much so I didn't need as many carbs.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Went to the field for three days, got back last night. Sorry for the silence all.

Was supposed to hit a back squat workout yesterday, but nobody wants to do that after staying in the woods for three days so I did it today instead.

It went well (as well as Squat day can go lol)

Pre Workout: .5 Scoop of ErgoPump + 6 Vasotropin. (Have no logging commitment til Monday so I figured I'd tap into my stash for PWO today lol)

Headed to the gym and did my activations and corrective exercises for my warmup and then assessed my 1RM for back squat (training max no grinding it out)

Current Max: 315, (hit 325 but it was a grind so the training max will be 315) 135x3 (WU), 185x3 (WU), 225x1, 275x1 w/belt, 315x1 w/belt, 325x1 w/belt

Back Squat: 5x3 @85%
265x3x5

Good Mornings: 3x10-12
95x10, 135x10, 185x8 w/belt

Complex 1: Complete with weak side first then repeat with strong side = 1 set

RFE Split Squat: 2x8 // 60x8, 70x8
1 Leg Bridge: 2x10 // BWx10x2 (OUCH!)
BB Roll Out: 3x5 // x5x2
Turkish Get up: 3x5 // 20x5x2
Cable Wood Chop: 3x6 // 40x6, 60x6

The gym closed before I could finish, but my core was (and still is) on fire! The roll outs were supposed to be Band Resisted (referred to as BR from this point onwards) but I forgot to bring my band.

This past month of unilateral work and mobility work has really helped my squat, my glutes are still mildly underactive but it is much easier to sit back into the squat and I am able to comfortable do it from shoulder width, as opposed to the wider stance I had to use previously. Was shocked by the 325 considering I haven't squatted for a month!

Diet was all over the place today, hit up some McDonalds earlier today. Shouldn't have but it tasted fantastic at the time :naughty:

Will be headed to the gym earlier in the afternoon tomorrow for OH Press, hopefully I'll be able to walk by then!

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeahhhh squat day! Gettin myself a new squat max tomorrow.

Your log makes me slightly motivated to kick my cardio up a notch

So what about McD's. I ate at a Chinese buffet 2 nights in a row. I was going to go for a 3rd until I thought I'd be funny and google reviews of the place..

What else do you throw in with your OHP day?

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
As promised my first educational post is a article from elitefts (for those that aren't on the newsletter for that site)

Dips Done Right

By Joe GiandonatoPublished: January 9, 2013
Posted in: Training
Tags: dips, John Giandonato, pressing movements, shoulder injury, triceps development

Aside from ass to grass squats and overhead presses, has there been an exercise as wrongly vilified as dips? Usually, dips serve as one of the great divides between the hardcore strength athletes and the folks they’d deem as the pencil-necked corrective exercise geeks.

Bodybuilders have credited dips for armoring their chest and triceps with dense layers of muscle while some powerlifters and Strongman competitors have boosted their pressing strength by incorporating dips as assistance exercises. Taking a gander at heavily muscled male gymnasts, you’ll note their immensely developed triceps. Think they’re camping out at the cable stack at your local commercial gym performing endless sets of press-downs? Nope. Instead, they’re performing an array of dipping and pressing movements throughout their lengthy practices each day. What about folks who don’t have access to weight rooms but often have a set of parallel bars at their disposal, such as prisoners, members of our armed forces, and bodyweight extraordinaire, Hannibal the King of YouTube fame? They all share one commonality—incredible triceps development.

Conversely, the mesh Polo shirt wearing, clipboard toting, Bosu ball bouncing, hyper analytical, pseudo physical therapist personal trainers have demonized parallel dips, arguing that they destroy the shoulder and elbow joints. While there’s some credence to their argument because parallel dips aren’t advised for individuals such as throwing athletes, those with anterior shoulder instability, and pre-existing elbow pain, they shouldn’t be entirely steered clear of, especially by healthy lifters and athletes.

Performing dips with an extra wide grip should be avoided because they predispose the shoulder to injury by forcing it into near maximal external rotation. This is akin to bench pressing with a really wide grip. Also, performing dips with an extended range of motion in which the biceps and forearms make contact will increase rotation at the shoulder, perhaps contributing to impingement over time. Going really low also overstretches the pectoralis, increasing the likelihood of tearing it.

Functional anatomy

The triceps (primarily the lateral and medial heads), sternal and clavicular heads of the pectoralis major, anterior deltoid, scapulothoracic, and core musculature, all work in accord during the movement. The scapulothoracic muscles collectively stabilize the scapulae during the movement, especially as the descent is commenced. The core resists any movement, specifically lateral sway, which occurs right off the bat in lesser experienced lifters and weaker individuals or late in the set when fatigue begins to set in. The pectoralis and anterior deltoids provide the initial push at the bottom while the triceps, along with the aconeus, take over the movement when the elbow approaches 90 degrees of flexion, helping to lock the elbows out to complete the movement. The pectoralis will again be called upon if the parallel bars are spaced apart at shoulder width or if the lifter is executing the dip with a forward torso lean.

How to properly perform dips

Dips, like squats, deadlifts, and seemingly every other movement, can invite injury when the movement is botched. Ideally, before attempting a dip, you should be able to bang out fifty push-ups with strict form consecutively. You should also be free of any pre-existing shoulder or elbow pathology.

First, assume a shoulder width or slightly wider than shoulder width grip on the parallel bars. Some wall mounted parallel bars flare out at the ends. Avoid grasping this part. Selectorized assisted pull-up and dip machines will typically have handles that rotate and lock into place, allowing you to go wide or narrow, depending on your preference. Flip the handles inward to keep the hand placement narrow, at least initially.

If there isn’t a foot plate or step attached to the machine or located below the parallel bars, situate a low plyometric box, stack of plates, or aerobic steppers beneath the bars. Alternatively, you can grasp the parallel bars and jump into place.

Once you’re atop the parallel bars with your elbows locked out, perform the following before descending:

Inhale while simultaneously bracing the core and locking the hips into extension. If the parallel bars are high off the ground, you may keep your knees extended. If not (or if you’re freakishly tall), bend your knees, crossing one foot over the other, to keep them from hitting the ground.
Keep the chin tucked and squeeze the shoulder blades together. This will prevent any scapular elevation or excessive shoulder extension from occurring.
Using the handles, pull yourself down slowly, as if you’re rowing the handles to your chest. Do not drop down.
Keep a slight forward lean. Allow your torso to “drift” away from the handles slightly. This helps balance the stress imposed on the shoulders and elbows equally because now they’ll be stacked atop each other.
Descend to the point of a stretch, not pain. Ideally, you should feel a slight stretch of both heads of the pectoralis major as well as the anterior deltoid. You should not sink below where the elbow achieves 90 degrees of flexion or where the back of your arm is parallel with the ceiling.
Exhale while driving with the heel of the palm to initiate the push of the anterior delts and chest. Focus on pushing the bars down and away from you as if you’re scaling a fence.
Continue to exhale while you extend the elbows. There isn’t any need to forcefully lock out the elbows.
Additional considerations

It should be noted that maximal elbow extension torque doesn’t occur near full extension. Instead, it takes place when the elbow is at 90 degrees of flexion. Multi-joint pressing movements such as the dip suggest that the length of a muscle, not leverage, determines the point in the range of motion where elbow extension torque naturally occurs (1). For the bodybuilders and lifters seeking hypertrophic development of the long head of the triceps, it should be noted that the long head doesn’t possess an optimal length/tension relationship during 90 degrees of elbow flexion with minimal shoulder flexion. Instead, it occurs at close to 90 degrees of elbow flexion and full shoulder flexion.
If you aren’t strong enough to perform dips, don’t use the platform attachment of assisted pull-up and dip machines. They don’t optimally accommodate the strength curve of the exercise. Instead, wrap bands around the handles and position yourself inside the bands. The contribution of the machine is continuous whereas the bands will provide you a boost from where you’re generally the weakest—the bottom.
Alternatively, you may use the bands to overload the movement by wrapping them over your shoulders behind the neck.
With regards to loading, vests are a better option if your shoulder integrity isn’t up to par. Having plates attached to a belt will actively pull you down, pushing your shoulders into extension and forcing them into internal rotation while stretching the joint capsule and forcing the upper back to round a bit more. As you get stronger, it’s best to balance the load with a vest and a belt.
Firmly grasping the handles, which are typically thicker than barbells, will not only bolster your crushing grip but will also prevent lateral elbow pain and increase neural drive to the muscles of the rotator cuff, which dynamically stabilizes the head of the humerus allowing for smoother articulation of the shoulder joint during the movement.
Dips should not replace bench pressing variations, which include board presses, pin presses, floor presses, and presses with variable resistance in a powerlifting training program. However, they are awesome as an accessory movement, during a deload, or as a great finisher when performed with body weight only. For bodybuilders, dips are safer when wanting to move heavy loads while training alone and may be used as a main pressing movement within one’s program temporarily or permanently.
Dips, when performed correctly, are one of the most potent movements for developing the chest and triceps and boosting pressing strength. Adhere to the aforementioned guidelines and watch your upper body grow and your bench numbers soar.

References

Neumman DA (2002) Kinesiology of the Musculoskeletal System. St. Louis, MO: Mosby.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeahhhh squat day! Gettin myself a new squat max tomorrow.

Your log makes me slightly motivated to kick my cardio up a notch

So what about McD's. I ate at a Chinese buffet 2 nights in a row. I was going to go for a 3rd until I thought I'd be funny and google reviews of the place..

What else do you throw in with your OHP day?
This will be tomorrow, it's my only press day. It's based off of my PT schedule for the month which involved a lot of horizontal pressing already so my training reflects that and will correct any potential imbalances that could occur from a poorly programmed PT schedule and will still allow me to progress as per my own goals.

Strict Standing Military Press
Close Grip Press

Complex 1
Half Kneeling DB Over Head Press
Dumbbell Row
Chest Dips

Complex 2
Single Leg Supine Bridge
Prone Bridge March
Face Pulls
Band Resisted No-Monies

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
As promised my first article for this log, taken from elitefts.

Link: http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/dips-done-right/

Dips Done Right

By Joe GiandonatoPublished: January 9, 2013
Posted in: Training
Tags: dips, John Giandonato, pressing movements, shoulder injury, triceps development

Aside from ass to grass squats and overhead presses, has there been an exercise as wrongly vilified as dips? Usually, dips serve as one of the great divides between the hardcore strength athletes and the folks they’d deem as the pencil-necked corrective exercise geeks.

Bodybuilders have credited dips for armoring their chest and triceps with dense layers of muscle while some powerlifters and Strongman competitors have boosted their pressing strength by incorporating dips as assistance exercises. Taking a gander at heavily muscled male gymnasts, you’ll note their immensely developed triceps. Think they’re camping out at the cable stack at your local commercial gym performing endless sets of press-downs? Nope. Instead, they’re performing an array of dipping and pressing movements throughout their lengthy practices each day. What about folks who don’t have access to weight rooms but often have a set of parallel bars at their disposal, such as prisoners, members of our armed forces, and bodyweight extraordinaire, Hannibal the King of YouTube fame? They all share one commonality—incredible triceps development.

Conversely, the mesh Polo shirt wearing, clipboard toting, Bosu ball bouncing, hyper analytical, pseudo physical therapist personal trainers have demonized parallel dips, arguing that they destroy the shoulder and elbow joints. While there’s some credence to their argument because parallel dips aren’t advised for individuals such as throwing athletes, those with anterior shoulder instability, and pre-existing elbow pain, they shouldn’t be entirely steered clear of, especially by healthy lifters and athletes.

Performing dips with an extra wide grip should be avoided because they predispose the shoulder to injury by forcing it into near maximal external rotation. This is akin to bench pressing with a really wide grip. Also, performing dips with an extended range of motion in which the biceps and forearms make contact will increase rotation at the shoulder, perhaps contributing to impingement over time. Going really low also overstretches the pectoralis, increasing the likelihood of tearing it.

Functional anatomy

The triceps (primarily the lateral and medial heads), sternal and clavicular heads of the pectoralis major, anterior deltoid, scapulothoracic, and core musculature, all work in accord during the movement. The scapulothoracic muscles collectively stabilize the scapulae during the movement, especially as the descent is commenced. The core resists any movement, specifically lateral sway, which occurs right off the bat in lesser experienced lifters and weaker individuals or late in the set when fatigue begins to set in. The pectoralis and anterior deltoids provide the initial push at the bottom while the triceps, along with the aconeus, take over the movement when the elbow approaches 90 degrees of flexion, helping to lock the elbows out to complete the movement. The pectoralis will again be called upon if the parallel bars are spaced apart at shoulder width or if the lifter is executing the dip with a forward torso lean.

How to properly perform dips

Dips, like squats, deadlifts, and seemingly every other movement, can invite injury when the movement is botched. Ideally, before attempting a dip, you should be able to bang out fifty push-ups with strict form consecutively. You should also be free of any pre-existing shoulder or elbow pathology.

First, assume a shoulder width or slightly wider than shoulder width grip on the parallel bars. Some wall mounted parallel bars flare out at the ends. Avoid grasping this part. Selectorized assisted pull-up and dip machines will typically have handles that rotate and lock into place, allowing you to go wide or narrow, depending on your preference. Flip the handles inward to keep the hand placement narrow, at least initially.

If there isn’t a foot plate or step attached to the machine or located below the parallel bars, situate a low plyometric box, stack of plates, or aerobic steppers beneath the bars. Alternatively, you can grasp the parallel bars and jump into place.

Once you’re atop the parallel bars with your elbows locked out, perform the following before descending:

Inhale while simultaneously bracing the core and locking the hips into extension. If the parallel bars are high off the ground, you may keep your knees extended. If not (or if you’re freakishly tall), bend your knees, crossing one foot over the other, to keep them from hitting the ground.
Keep the chin tucked and squeeze the shoulder blades together. This will prevent any scapular elevation or excessive shoulder extension from occurring.
Using the handles, pull yourself down slowly, as if you’re rowing the handles to your chest. Do not drop down.
Keep a slight forward lean. Allow your torso to “drift” away from the handles slightly. This helps balance the stress imposed on the shoulders and elbows equally because now they’ll be stacked atop each other.
Descend to the point of a stretch, not pain. Ideally, you should feel a slight stretch of both heads of the pectoralis major as well as the anterior deltoid. You should not sink below where the elbow achieves 90 degrees of flexion or where the back of your arm is parallel with the ceiling.
Exhale while driving with the heel of the palm to initiate the push of the anterior delts and chest. Focus on pushing the bars down and away from you as if you’re scaling a fence.
Continue to exhale while you extend the elbows. There isn’t any need to forcefully lock out the elbows.
Additional considerations

It should be noted that maximal elbow extension torque doesn’t occur near full extension. Instead, it takes place when the elbow is at 90 degrees of flexion. Multi-joint pressing movements such as the dip suggest that the length of a muscle, not leverage, determines the point in the range of motion where elbow extension torque naturally occurs (1). For the bodybuilders and lifters seeking hypertrophic development of the long head of the triceps, it should be noted that the long head doesn’t possess an optimal length/tension relationship during 90 degrees of elbow flexion with minimal shoulder flexion. Instead, it occurs at close to 90 degrees of elbow flexion and full shoulder flexion.
If you aren’t strong enough to perform dips, don’t use the platform attachment of assisted pull-up and dip machines. They don’t optimally accommodate the strength curve of the exercise. Instead, wrap bands around the handles and position yourself inside the bands. The contribution of the machine is continuous whereas the bands will provide you a boost from where you’re generally the weakest—the bottom.
Alternatively, you may use the bands to overload the movement by wrapping them over your shoulders behind the neck.
With regards to loading, vests are a better option if your shoulder integrity isn’t up to par. Having plates attached to a belt will actively pull you down, pushing your shoulders into extension and forcing them into internal rotation while stretching the joint capsule and forcing the upper back to round a bit more. As you get stronger, it’s best to balance the load with a vest and a belt.
Firmly grasping the handles, which are typically thicker than barbells, will not only bolster your crushing grip but will also prevent lateral elbow pain and increase neural drive to the muscles of the rotator cuff, which dynamically stabilizes the head of the humerus allowing for smoother articulation of the shoulder joint during the movement.
Dips should not replace bench pressing variations, which include board presses, pin presses, floor presses, and presses with variable resistance in a powerlifting training program. However, they are awesome as an accessory movement, during a deload, or as a great finisher when performed with body weight only. For bodybuilders, dips are safer when wanting to move heavy loads while training alone and may be used as a main pressing movement within one’s program temporarily or permanently.
Dips, when performed correctly, are one of the most potent movements for developing the chest and triceps and boosting pressing strength. Adhere to the aforementioned guidelines and watch your upper body grow and your bench numbers soar.

References

Neumman DA (2002) Kinesiology of the Musculoskeletal System. St. Louis, MO: Mosby.

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Great job so far, and informative too!

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Great job so far, and informative too!
Thanks brother.

Hit dat dere upper body workout today, it literally whooped my @SS.

Hittin up some golden corral post workout and headed home. Will update tonight.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Pre Workout: 1 scoop CL White Flood (tastes so bad!), 6 Vasotropin (same as yesterday, just reachin in the stash until tomorrow)

OH Press: Strict 1RM - 135 (was hoping for 155 but it was a grind and I needed an initial push off of the chest)
5X3@85% 1RM - 115x3x5

Close Grip Bench - 3x10-12
135x10, 155x6, 135x7.5 (was hoping for 185 but my tri's were burnt out before I even got here)

Complex 1 - Unilateral

1/2 Kneeling DB OH Press - 2x8 per side // 40x8x2
DB Row- 2x8 per side // 40x8, 60x8
Chest Dips (used the machine) 2x6 per round // 90x6x2, 180x6x2 (used the machine because it's closer to the DB's, just more convenient)

Complex 2- Unilateral

1 Leg Bridge- 3x12 // BWx12x3 (OUCH SO SORE!)
Prone March- 3x5 // BWx5x3
Face Pulls- 3x12 per round // 70x12x4, 80x12x2
BR No Monies- 3x10 per round // EH x10x6

Looked vascular as fuark today too. Which is a shock for me because I am not particularly vascular usually. The wife pointed it out during the OH Presses, it looked awesome while doing No Monies. Hoping this continues to improve over this year.

EH refers to my extra heavy band which, especially for no monies, really is EXTRA heavy. Will be buying a lighter band for next week. My entire body from the core down is sore from yesterday and after today I am positive that my upper body will follow suit tomorrow.

Because I missed Monday's DL workout this week (had to do crossfit with the unit :mad: ) I will be assessing my training max this Monday and then proceeding with the workout as planned (which will blow I am sure).

Hit up GC after my workout and got 2 steaks, some shrimp, catfish, taters, mac n cheese, green beans, mushrooms, and some jelly beans! Headed to the movies soon and will be eating again after the movie before I head to bed tonight.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Today started my HT mesocycle, the focus is on TUT for hypertrophy. My weight took a shot during this field operation but I came back strong had a solid workout and flew through it. Focus was incredible, especially considering how tired I have been all day and the pump today was awesome. Sweated up a storm and beat my upper body up.

Pre-Workout: 1.5 scoop Prodigy (Loved this amount)

Intra: .25 scoop Prodigy, Powerade (drank my wifes powerade as well)

12FEB2013 Upper HT 1

Incline Press- 3x10 // 135x10, 145x9, 145x5 +2 (thought I could push it out for 10 after the set of 9 but the lowered rest killed me)

Chest Supported DB Rear Delt Row- 3x10 // 30x7, 20x10, 25x10 (strong contraction)

a1. WG Cable Row- 3x12 // 80x12, 90x12, 100x10
a2. DB Bench w/ Bridge- 3x10 // 50x10, 60x10, 70x7.5

b1. Face Pulls- 3x12 // 70x12, 80x12, 110x12 (these got easier on the second set)
b2. Lying Tri Ext- 3x10 // 20x10, 25x10, 25x9
b3. Ext Shoulder Rot.- 3x12 // 10x12, 20x12x2
b4. Standing Cable Crunch- 3x12 // 60x12, 90x12, 130x12

Felt awesome for a first day back, never have been a fan of incline bench but I think I finally figured out my groove for it today. I was pumped up today, especially in my back and traps. I felt GOOD. Will pick back up with the Paragon and rest of my staples tomorrow morning.

Trying to get some of this GET BIG work in here, hoping to get up to 185-190 (end goal) and stay fast so I can walk on a team when I get out and go to college.

Hit up this workout today, gonna try to start posting in here as well.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Apparently the crappiest 2 days in my military career lead to some awesome workouts.

Pre-Workout: 1.5 scoops Prodigy (this is friggin awesome at 1.5 scoops)

Intra: Butt ton of water. Like a lot.

Trap Bar Deadlift: 3x10
225x10, 275x10, 315x7

Good Morning:3x10
135x10, 185x10, 225x10 PR(had planned on doing a second of the 185 but it felt great so I upped to 225)

a1. DB RDL: 3x12 // 30x12, 40x12, 45x12
a2. RFE Split Squat: 3x10 // 80x10x2, 90x10

b1. BB Hip Bridge: 3x12 // 135x12x2, 155x12
b2. Psoas March: 3x10 // BWx10x3
b3. Monster Walk: 3x12 // N/A (forgot my friggin band at work)
b4. Swiss Ball Roll Out: 3x12 // BWx12x3

Went into the gym with a lot of soreness in my knee (the bad one), normally it isn't an issue but being off of the joint support for the last 8 days and then being forced to run with the pose method at PT this morning and it is inflamed! Didn't really notice it once I got moving but I am definitely feeling the pain right now. I try to explain to them that I cannot run that way because the acute contraction of my upper leg leads to improper patellal tracking (diagnosed) and inflames the tendons and ligaments, it isn't really a fun thing.

It also doesn't help because I'm not a SGT and if you aren't a SGT it doesn't matter what you know because you are wrong. Even though I'm the only one with any background in fitness :sigh:

As yesterday, focus and energy were awesome. Can't say much in the way of pumps (it was leg day afterall) but I felt good! Strength was there and I was moving some weight today. Thermogenic effect was definitely strengthened, I was literally dripping sweat right from the get go, relieved a lot of stress. Now I'm just hoping PT tomorrow morning isn't ridiculous because I am going to be HURTING!

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Had a fantastic workout. Almost wasn't going to go and was gonna use today as a recovery day but had a buddy ask me if he could try a pre workout (jack3d micro this time) and he made me feel like a bum because he was going and I was gonna sham out lol.

After I got there I was definitely glad I went. No ridiculous PR's but the MM connection was solid and I was all kinds of pumped up. Felt friggin GREAT! Actually looked pretty beefy in my XL fear no workout T-Shirt, it was all draped off of my shoulders and chest and you could see my traps straight through it leading down to my tiny little waist. I flew through it today as well, I was just chugging along.

Pre-Workout: 1.5 Scoop Prodigy (This is definitely the right amount for me lol)

Intra: Water/Gatorade Powder

14FEB Upper HT 2

OHP- 3x10

95x10, 95x10, 95x5 (lol what a shot to the ego, although my 1RM is only 145 :shrug: )

Pull-ups- 3x10
BWx10, BWx7+1, BWx7+2+1(assist)

a1. Chinese Rows- 3x12 // 45x12, 50x12, 55x12 (holy pump)
a2. 1/2 Kneel DB OHP- 3x10 // 40x10, 45x10, 50x10 (holy lactic acid buildup lol)

b1. Scapula Dips: 3x12 // BWx12, +20x12, +35x12
b2. BB Curls: 3x10 // 70x9, 70x7, 60x9
b3. DB External Rot.: 3x12 // 10x12, 20x12, 20x8
b4. Turkish Get-up: 3x3 // 45xF (2 R, 1 L), 35x3, 35x3 (per arm)

Felt like a straight monster on this one. Pull-ups were humbling (normally do Chins) and we did a few this morning with PT. Got a couple of nudes, I'm a terrible poser so give me a break, got one relaxed of the back and one attempt at a lat spread. I think they show some pretty good progress personally, especially considering all of the time I am being forced to undereat, undersleep, and undertrain (stupid 82nd lol)

Shoulders rolled slightly forward Relaxed
View attachment 74963

Good Posture Relaxed
View attachment 74964

Lat Spread (I'm really bad at this lol)
View attachment 74965

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Preworkout: 1.5 scoop Prodigy, 1 Cap Paragon

Intra: water

Front Squat: ATG 3x10
185x10, 205x8, 195x8 (could have probably done 10 but didn't have the rack set up for me to risk failure)

Snatch Grip RDL: 3x10
135x10, 155x10x2 (couldn't hold it and forgot my chalk)

a1. Split Squat: 3x12 // 90x12, 100x12
a2. 1 leg Swiss ball curl: 3x10 // BWx10x2

Didn't do the complex.

Crappy day, my fuse has been short since last weeks field problem and I was about to explode at the gym. Nobody was even doing anything wrong but just having people around me was pissing me off today.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No sprints today. Its snowing out here in NC, coming down pretty hard too!

Not sure how I feel about driving in it...

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Jesus I don't know where to post......I feel that I need to reply twice!!!!!!

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yesterday's Update:

Pre-Workout: 1.5 Scoop Prodigy

Intra: Idk, water or powerade or something

Incline Press: 4x10
115x10, 135x10, 145x10, 155x6

CS DB RD Row: 4x10
20x10, 25x10x2, 30x7.5

a1. WG Cable Row: 2x15 // 90x15, 100x15
a2. DB Bench w/ Bridge: 2x12 // 65x12, 75x8

Complex
Face Pulls: 3x12 // 80x12, 90x12, 110x12
Lying Tri Ext: 3x12 // 20x12, 25x12, 30x4---25x4
Cable External Rot: 3x12 // 20x12, 30x12, 20x12
Standing Cable Crunch: 3x12 // 130x12, 140x12, 130x12 (tried the stack, wasn't gonna happen lol)

This workout went great! Got a new workout partner and me and him are able to compete pretty well, he's got me on most flat presses and I have him on the Inclines and Standing. He's the reason I grabbed the 75's instead of 70's lol, he walks up after I did my first set and grabs 80's, pissing me right off lol.

Today's Update:

Not nearly as good as yesterday's, started late and was stressed out as I was leaving. My anniversary is coming up next month and I'm going to take my wife to the George Strait concert in Greensboro but can't find the seats I want (am debating between floor seats or just going for lower level but am not sure if floor is worth the extra $150 as I've never had floor seats). Couldn't find my chalk but my partner was waiting so I left without it, forgot my bands as well (AGAIN!)

Pre: 1.5 Scoop Prodigy, 1 Cap Paragon

Intra: basically nothing, was sweating like a pig too....

Trap Bar Deadlift: 4x10
225x10, 255x10, 275x5 (DAMN GRIP), 315x2 (AARGHH)

Good Mornings: 4x10
135x10, 185x10, 225x10, 155x10

a1.DB RDL: 2x15 // 40x15
a2. RFE Split Squat: 2x12 // 90x12

Complex
BB Bridge: 3x12 // 135x12, 155x12, 185x12
Supine March: 3x12 // BWx12x3
Monster Walk: N/A
Swiss Ball Roll Out: 3x12 // BWx12x3

Couldn't hold the 275 but figured "what the hell" and thought I could just reset my grip when necessary and keep going until I got the 10 on 315. I was WRONG. And unfortunately when I start focusing on my grip I lose focus and my lower back was taking too much of the load, there wasn't any rounding but it was less hip drive and more spinal extension. That's why we cut the superset short because both of our backs were cramping up HARD!

Did a lot of air squats this morning for PT and I was a little tight just getting started but it evened out after the first set. Oh well there is always next week :sad:

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Had a good workout tonight. Relieved a lot of stress from this week, going to get rewound tomorrow at work but oh well.

Wasn't able to do any speed work on Wednesday, got off work at like 2030 and had to go back in at 0530. It was dumb.

Got off kinda late today but it was early enough to hit the gym. Got there at like 2015 and left at around 2125 (give or take), hit some McDonalds on the way home, gonna eat, shower, sleep and prepare for another long day. Hoping to make it to the gym tomorrow but I am going into the field on Tue/Wed and we are supposed to be on lockdown in the company AO all weekend (for literally no reason :sigh: ), won't be back until March 10, gonna bring my TRX and continue the Paragon (just to maintain saturation and hopefully maintain some muscle with the limited food/rest/exercise).

Pre-Workout: 1.25 Scoop Prodigy

Intra: Water/Gatorade

Upper HT 2

OHP-4x10
75x10, 95x10x2, 105x9.5 (so close lol!)

Pull-Ups-4x10
BWx10, BWx5+5 (lost grip, jumped back up to finish lol), BWx10, BWx6+3+1(assist)

a1. Chinese Rows: 2x15 // 55x15, 65x15
a2. 1/2 Kneel OHP: 2x12 // 45x12, 55x12

Complex
Scapula Dips: 3x12 // +25x12, +35x12, +45x12
BB Curl: 3x12 // 60x12, 70x11, 70x6--60x2
DB External Rotation: 3x12 // 15x12 (too much), 10x12x2
Turkish Get-Up: 3x3 (per arm) // 30x3, N/A, N/A

The get-ups put too much torque on my knee, it's been sore recently and these were pretty painful. Better safe than sorry when it comes to knees lol.

Focus was good, was sweating up a storm, and strength was up (did way more than last week on most exercises). Overall I felt good, looking forward to front squatting tomorrow :happy:

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, I get to jump into this year's JOAX. :eek:uch: And for those that followed my AN log you all know how my last jump went....

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Had a great workout today, made up for yesterday's missed workout.

Intra: water

Front Squat: 4x10
155x10, 185x10, 195x10, 205x10 (Felt awesome, in a painful way)

SG RDL: 4x10
135x10, 155x10 (strap), 185x10 (strap), 225x10 (strap)

a1. Split Squat: 2x15 // 90x15, 120x15
a2. Swiss Ball Ham Curl: 2x12 // N/A (no swiss ball)

Complex
Pull-Throughs: 3x12 // 42.5x12, 57.5x12, 72.5x12
Side Bridge w/ Abduction: 3x12 // BWx12x3
Wall Psoas March: 3x12 // BWx12x3
Prone Bridge March: 3x12 // BWx12x3

My legs are smoked out, I was rocking this one. The pump on the split squats was CRAZY, it felt good but painful. Had some cool vascularity going on in the forearms, was wearing my new "Get to da choppa" T-Shirt. Decent focus this time around, but strength was definitely up from last week. Bout to eat and watch some of the Dark Knight Rises before bed.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Did Monday's workout today and will do Tuesday's tomorrow. Leaving on Tuesday for this JOAX, not supposed to be coming back until March 10 but it is rumored to be shorter because of the budget cuts.

Anyway, had a great workout. Have a little bit of pain in that rotator cuff (infraspinatus specifically), guess I pushed it a little too hard lol. It didn't affect my workout so I'm not too worried about it.

Intra: Water

Incline Bench Press: 3x10
135x10, 145x10, 155x7 (1 more than last week)

Chest Supported RD Row: 3x10
25x10, 30x10, 35x10 (+5lbs, +2.5 Reps over last week)

a1. WG Cable Row: 4x12 // 90x12, 100x12, 110x12, 120x12
a2. DB Bench w/ Bridge: 4x10 // 65x10, 70x10, 75x9.5, 75x8.5

Complex
Face Pulls: 2x12 // 110x12, 120x12
Lying Tri Ext: 2x10 // 25x10, 30x8
Ext. Shoulder Rot: 2x12 // 10x12, 30x12
Cable Swiss Ball Crunches: 2x12 // 40x12, 60x12

A note for the Incline Bench: My shoulders were a little fatigued today, all of my sets felt heavier than usual. I'm guessing this is from the Prone Bridge Marches yesterday, holding oneself in the front leaning rest position can get tiring if done for long enough lol. Still was able to get it for 1 more than last week so I am convinced that I am making good progress.

Overall Notes: Vascularity is improved/improving (gets better everyday it seems) and the pump is actually growing on me. I generally have a hard time getting a pump in my pecs because they have historically been tougher to activate with bench presses. My pecs were visually pumped (incredibly noticeable) by the time this workout was over. Energy was good but I am noticing more of a focus increase most days and don't really get too much of a pick me up from this product (although I can't really say I get one from most products).

Strength is climbing still, and most of all I am having fun. This is a good change of pace from the usual training for me, I generally spend more time developing maximal strength and don't spend a lot of time getting a pump (which I always love to have lol). Can't wait to see what kind of progress I have been making over this run (even though the field training is going to set me back a little bit).