It's a long way to...
- 07-27-2012, 11:35 PM
It's a long way to...
I'm posting to keep track of progress and will welcome tips, advice and encouragement.
I worked out a lot from 18-24 but, except for a year in my mid 30's. sporadically since then. My PR's from my training 6 years ago were as follows: Bench 355; Squat 395; Deadlift 415; Bentover Row 255. I used Madcow's advanced 5X5 and my own program (an upper lower split where I worked out 4 days a week). I liked both but prefer an approach where I have to hit the gym 3 times per week. As a result, I'll be following a Starting Strength type program (personal modifications because I know best ). Got to be careful as injuries have derailed previous attempts (bad left knee and elbow pain).
Started back this May and was, as expected, weak as hell and had the following max lifts: Bench 225; Squat 275; Deads 295. My weight at the time was 188lbs. I've been going at it pretty hard since then with a 2 week period where I only worked out once (vacation) and my weight has increased to 200lbs (mostly lean gain).
My diet is decent. I usually eat 4-5 meals per day and try to get at least 30 grams of protein per meal (chicken, eggs, salmon, whey, steak, etc) and am definitely not adverse to carbs (get plenty of them). I also like to drink and usually imbibe 3-4 beers per day or 3-4 glasses of wine (sometimes both).
As far as supplements go, I'm currently taking 2g Alcar, 4g Beta Alanine, 5000IU of D3, 2g of Fish oil (EPA + DHA), 500mg of green tea and 120mg of Gingko per day. I also take 6-7g of Citrulline Malate pre-workout. The Cit Malate was a real surprise for me especially when I upped the dosage to 6+ grams. 4g nothing special but 6g was WOW. Also helps with aerobic activities that I enjoy (hiking, playing soccer, running). I will be adding Cissus which will hopefully help with my achy elbows. I've used DAA and Now Dopa Macuna and responded well so I will be doing a DAA, Erase and Endosurge cycle in couple of weeks. Also have a Kilo or 2 of Creapure hanging around and although it works it makes me feel like crap outside of the gym. I'll probably end up using it anyway when I encounter a plateau.
On to my most recent workouts: (Tempo - controlled eccentric, fast concentric; Rest Intervals - varies from 1-4 min depending on %1RM)
BW Pullups: 1X12 (did 10, rested ~10sec and then 2 more) BW=Body Wieght
Dead Lifts: 1X5X135; 1X5X205; 1X5X255; 1X5X285; 1X4X305
Bench: 1X12X135; 1X10X165; 1X8X185; 1X8X205; 1X8X225 (best I've done on my return surprised as this came after lay off)
Walking Lunges BW: 2X12 per leg (24 steps total)
DB Overhead Presses: 3X8X55's
BW pullups: 1X10
Squats: 1X12X135; 1X10X185; 1X8X225; 1X6X255; 1X5X275
Bentover Rows: 3X10X155
DB Bench Presses: 4X8X80's
Floor Wipers: 2X20 (done holding one 135lbs on BB)
KB Clean and Press: 3X10X35 (Need to buy a heavier kettlebell, prob I'll get a 44lb one next)
Was still a little sore from previous workout so not quite dialed in for this one
BW Pullup: 1X10
Dead Lifts: 1X5X135; 1X5X185; 1X5X255; 1X5X275; 1X5X305; 1X3X325 (could have gotten 4 but grip slipped. Time to chalk up)
Bench: 1X12X135; 1X10X165; 1X8X195; 1X8X215; 1X6X235
Shoulder prehab work
Plate Raises: 3X10X25
BW Pullup: 1X8
- 07-31-2012, 04:17 PM
Today's workout was not the best. I did a relatively easy 4 mile hike on Sat and WW kayaked on Sun for about 3.5 hours. The kayaking took quite a bit out of me as I haven't done much this year (only my 6th time in the water would usually have logged around 35 trips by now). Shoulders, traps and hips were sore today and overall energy felt low. Started Cissus yesterday and will see if this helps my aching elbows that have bothered me for the last 8 months. On to the workout:
Pullups: 1X12XBW (Highlight of the workout; got all reps without resting)
Squats: 1X10X135, 1X10X185, 1X8X225, 3X6X255 (almost fell over on last set)
Bench: 1X10X135, 1X10X175, 1X8X205, 1X6X225 (didn't have sh*t so I ended it here)
Crunches: 1X20X10lbs (medicine ball); Plank: 1X80sec
Shoulder Prehab: 4X12X5lbs per side
Pullups: 1X12XBW (did 10 rested about 15sec and then 2 more)
- 08-04-2012, 01:39 AM
Had a colonoscopy done yesterday so I'll be getting in 2 workouts this week. Had an ok workout and was a little disappointed with my deadlifts but considering my forced starvation on Weds I guess it was expected. Also being taking Cissus for a week now and it really hasn't helped my elbows at all. In fact I've much better luck with Aleve. On to today's workout:
Deadlifts: 1X5X135, 1X5X185, 1X5X225, 1X5X265, 2X3X305, 1X1X335 (first 3 sets I did Sumo and then conventional after; really thought I could get 2-3 on last set but definitely not happening)
DB Bench Press: 1X10X45's, 1X8X60's, 3X8X75's
Situps throwing 10lb medicine ball: 2X15
DB Walking Lunges: 3X20X20lbs
Bentover BB Rows: 1X8X95, 1X8X135, 2X6X165
Shoulder Prehab: 4X12X5lbs
08-04-2012, 02:02 AM
08-04-2012, 01:01 PM
08-04-2012, 01:03 PM
08-04-2012, 04:22 PM
In for this,
Welcome to the board.
I like to see guys my age (I'm 46), killing it in the gym.
08-05-2012, 02:36 PM
I am going to have to reduce the amount of Cissus I'm taking (3.2 grams of Super Cissus) because it appears to be aggravating my left knee and not really helping with my elbow tendonitis. Not sure why this is happening but I'm speculating that cortisol is too low.
08-07-2012, 12:04 AM
I had to grind this out but overall I am pretty happy.
Squats: 1X10X135, 1X8X185, 1X8X225, 1X6X255, 1X5X275
Bench: 1X10X135, 1X8X185, 1X8X225, 1X5X245
KB Clean n Press: 3X9X35
Shoulder Prehab: 4X12X5
08-08-2012, 09:21 PM
Another tough day. Started back to work Mon and haven't being sleeping all that great lately. Definitely not feeling as strong as last week particularly with lower body exercises. I'm going to add in some DE deads and box squats and see if this helps as I'm not getting any explosion off the floor.
Deads: 1X5X135, 1X5X205, 1X5X255, 1X4X305, 1X1X335, 1x0X345 (couldn't budge it)
DB Bench Press: 1X10X35's, 1X8X60's, 3X8X80's
RC Situps: 1X30, 1X15
BB Rows: 1X8X115, 1X8X135, 3X6X165
Shoulder Prehab: 4X12X5lbs
08-12-2012, 01:49 PM
Hiked 10 miles yesterday and now pretty sore and stiff today. I was supposed to workout yesterday but looks like it will be Mon before I hit the gym again.
08-12-2012, 02:35 PM
08-12-2012, 06:11 PM
08-13-2012, 09:05 PM
Difficult workout tonight and had to grind through again. Hitting the wall way to early on this run so I'll be adding in some DAA starting tomorrow. I was waiting on BPS to restock and hopefully continue the sale on Endosurge/Erase before starting back on DAA but doesn't look like it's going to happen. I will probably pick up some Erase regardless as I've never tried it before and am intrigued by the many positive reviews (a little worried about the joint issue hence going with the OG version and will keep my dosage at 2 pills per day max). I added low box squats (16inch box) today and they were, as usual, quite a fuker. That pause at the bottom is just not nice at all. Enough fluff, on to today's workout:
1. Low Box Squats: 1X10X135, 1X8X185, 1X8X205, 1X6X225, 1X5X235
2. Pullups: 1X12XBW (pretty easy will probably try for 15 next)
3. BB Flat Bench: 1X10X135, 1X8X1185, 1X6X225, 1X4X245
4. Incline Bench: 1X8X135, 1X8X155 (haven't done these in forever)
5. Plank: 1X3min
6. Pullups: 1X12XBW
7. KB Clean and Press: 3X10X35
Even though I'm not gaining like I fee I should and really had to grind this one out, I really enjoyed it (go figure).
08-13-2012, 10:05 PM
08-14-2012, 08:57 PM
08-16-2012, 09:35 PM
Been taking DAA for 3 days now and BPS got endosurge restocked looks like the erase/endosurge/daa stack is going to happen. Very Nice!
On to today's workout where I didn't exactly kill but I felt better than Mon:
1. Deads: 1X5X135, 1X5X185, 1X5XX225, 1X5X255, 1X5X285, 1X3X325
2. Pushups: 1X20, 1X20 (feet elevated), 1X20 (feet elevated)
3. Situps: 3X20
4. BB Rows: 1X8X115, 1X8X135, 2X6X175
5. Shoulder Prehab: 4X12X5
6. DB Military Press: 1X8X35's, 1X8X55's (left shoulder didn't feel too great so I stopped)
08-18-2012, 07:39 PM
Ordered the Endosurge/Erase combo and some SNS Citrulline Malate from NP and should have them by Mon, can't wait Workout today was solid and I felt good. DAA is starting to kick. Libido appetite and strength all up. Upper back and chest were still a little sore from previous workout so my numbers today were definitely far from my best. I'm expecting big jump on the bench in the coming weeks.
1. Pullups: 1X12, 1X3 (~10sec rest between sets)
2. Squats: 1x10X135, 1X10X185, 1x8X225, 1X6X255, 1X5X285 (+10 gain)
3. Bench: 1X10X135, 1X8X185, 1X8X205, 1X6X225, 1X4X245 (couldn't have gotten 5 but didn't have a spot so didn't want to risk it)
4. Incline Bench: 2X8X185
5. Shoulder Prehab: 6X12X10 per side
6. Plank 1X2min
7. Kettlebell Swings: 4X12X35
8. Twisting Crunches: 1X20
9. Pullups: 1X10, 1X2 (10 sec rest)
08-21-2012, 08:29 AM
Started my Endosurge/Erase yesterday and will wait about a week before commenting more on its effects. Workout yesterday was difficult due to still being sore and stiff (especially lower back) from Saturday's workout. Forgot how taxing those kettle bell swings are. On to yesterday's workout:
1. Low Box Squats: 1X10X135, 1X10X185, 1X8X205, 2X6X225
2. Standing Shoulder Press: 1X10X65, 1X10X95, 1X8X115, 1X8X145
3. Plank: 1X3min (did 30sec in side positions); Hanging leg Raises: 1X20
4. Pushups: 1X30XBW, 1X15X25lbs, 1X20XBW
5. T-Bar Rows: 1X10X95, 1X8X115, 1X8X135, 1X8X145
6. Romanian DL's: 3X10X185 (will increase to 225 when I do these next time)
08-22-2012, 01:18 AM
good work man.
I'm extremely partial to box squats. Extremely partial.
The numbers you're throwing up at 41 are awesome man. I know 20 year old kids who can't touch 'em.
Last edited by Quietman; 08-22-2012 at 01:19 AM. Reason: big typo.
08-22-2012, 03:32 PM
Don't think I'll be working out today as I'm still a little sore and I took 2 caps of Erase yesterday and joints are feeling it. I'll definitely have to stick to 1 cap ED from now on. Definitely "drying" me up though and already looking more defined. Workout tomorrow should be EPIC.
08-23-2012, 09:45 PM
Ha! Just reread my post from yesterday. Epic indeed. Someone was feeling a little too good on his L-Dopa In a slightly more objective mood right now so I'd say my workout today was decent. I'm starting to see some improvement particular lower body and core. Upper body particularly chest is lagging a little but overall I'm happy with progress. Weight this morning was 203.
1. Deads: 1X5X145, 1X5X205, 1X5X255, 1X5X285, 1X3X315, 1X1X355 (+20 gain and it went up fairly easily)
2. Bench: 1X10X135, 1X10X185, 1X8X205, 1X8X225, 1X3X255
3. Plank: 1X3min; Hanging Leg Raises: 1X15
4. Pullups: 1X12XBW, 1X10XBW, 1X6XBW
5. Shoulder Prehab: 4X12X5
6. KB Cean and Press: 3X10X35 per side
08-27-2012, 11:48 AM
Didn't workout this weekend. Instead did a fairly easy 7 mile hike on Saturday (20lbs backpack) and just chilled on Sunday. For now I'm dropping Erase from my supplement protocol as it just makes me too stiff and sore and this was at the lowest dosage (25mg per day). Overall, I'm feeling much better today and looking forward to today's workout. Endosurge and DAA are kicking in nicely and libido and well being are significantly increased. For me, Endosurge has been a great addition.
08-27-2012, 05:07 PM
08-27-2012, 09:45 PM
I had a good workout tonight. Did regular squats with knee sleeves on both knees now (really liking this) and used a belt for the last set.
1. Squats: 1X10X95, 1X10X135, 1X10X185, 1X8X215, 1X8X235, 1X6X265, 1X4X295 (heaviest I've gone so far, 3 wheels not far away)
2. Floor BB Press: 1X10X45, 1X8X135, 1X8185, 1X8X205, 3X6X225 (did these with about 1-2sec pause at the bottom)
3. Plank: 1X3min (did side planks for 30sec per side)
4. Supine Bridge: 1X2min
5. BB Bentover Row: 1X10X95 1X8X115, 1X8X135, 3X6X175
6. Push ups: 1X30XBW
08-29-2012, 01:15 PM
Ran a couple of sprints yesterday and was really tight. After, and because of it, I foam rolled and stretched. the plan is to this again today. I haven't being doing this like I should but that's the way it goes sometimes. Still a little sore from legs on Monday and that, combined with some outside variables, means I'll be hitting the gym tomorrow. Feeling a little guilty about this but I'm sure I'll get over it Libido is really high, about the best it's been in a long time, and I am attributing this to the Endosurge/DAA combo. No wonder Endo is always sold out.
Last edited by leprechaun1; 08-29-2012 at 05:34 PM.
08-30-2012, 10:02 PM
Worked out today. Definitely not the best, tweaked my shoulder benching and I'm not really sure how bad.. Didn't hear any popping so maybe not too bad but it sure be sore. Will probably have to back off bench for a few weeks at the least. Missed a dead attempt at 365. Got to my knees but couldn't finish the lift. Overall, pretty depressing.
1. Deads: 1X5X135, 1X5X185, 1X5X225, 1X5X255, 1X5X295, 1X3X325, 1X0X365
2. Pullups: 1X15XBW
3. Bench: 1X10X135, 1X8X185, 1X8X205, 1X6X225, 1X4X255 (shoulder gave out on last rep)
4. Plank: 2X2min (30 sec side planks per side), 2X20 situps
5. Pullups: 1X10, 1X8
09-01-2012, 01:23 AM
Shoulder really sucked this morning and I had trouble dressing. I used some topical Celadrin and 2 Aleve the night before but if didn't seem to do much. I was pretty much resigned to no upper body pressing for a month or so but, then tonight, I tried some Joint Force I had laying around. Prior to this, i used it on my elbows and hadn't been too impressed but it did work well on my knee so I decided to give it a shot. Wow, what a difference, my shoulder is feeling a lot better. Still painful but much less than earlier. I feel like I'll be able to some prehab and maybe even pushups next week. Props to PA for this product. It's the real deal.
Going to take it easy this weekend. I will probably hike Sunday but no workout.
09-04-2012, 10:59 PM
Workout today was pretty much a grind but I enjoyed it and didn't have any difficulties with my shoulder (thanks Joint Force). Added in some Dynamic Effort (DE) deads and did these with a 1 min rest between sets. Also added a few different exercises for shoulder prehab: Cuban Press, lying external rotations, seated ext. rotations and standing ext. rotations. I haven't been taking my beta alanine for a couple of days and didnt' dose Cit Malate preworkout like I usually do and this probably contributed to the grind. On to today's workout:
1. Low Box Squats: 1X8X95, 1X8X135, 1X8X185, 1X8X205, 1X6X225, 1X5X255 (+30)
2. Shoulder Prehab: 2X4 (superset of above exercises, used 5lbs for all exercises except Cuban Press 45lbs)
3. Pushups: 1X30XBW, 1X20XBW, 1X10XBW (rest 1min between sets)
4. Plank: 1X3min (30sec side plank per side)
5. DE Deads: 1X3X95, 1X3X135, 8X3X185
6. Bentover BB Rows: 1X8X95, 1X8X135, 4X6X185 (+10)
09-06-2012, 07:01 PM
I did some sprints before today's workout 6X30yards and tweaked my hamstring (that's what I get for not warming up properly). It's not bad but didn't want to do any lower body as a result. I pushed my shoulder a little harder today and, despite a little pain, made it through without difficulties. Also started back on Erase at 25mg per day and, so far, joints are good.
1. Pullups 1X14, 1X8, 1X6 (rest 1min)
2. Shoulder Prehab
3. DB Bench Press: 1X10X35, 2X10X45
4. Pushups: 1X30XBW
5. Twisting Crunches: 1X15
6. Plank: 1X3min (30sec side plank per side included)
7. KB Swings: 1X12X35 (only one set because was a little worried about hammy)
8. Standing DB Press: 1X12X25, 1X10X35 (didn't want to push shoulder too much)
09-09-2012, 11:21 PM
Had a pretty decent workout. My right hamstring was a still a little sore so I didn't quite go for it.
1. Squats: 1X8x45, 1X8X95, 1X8X135, 1X8X185, 1X6X215, 1X6X245, 1X6X265, 1X6X275, 1X5X295 (got extra rep on last set)
2. Pushups: 1X20X25, 1X25XBW (incline), 1X30XBW
3. Rack Pulls: 1X5X135, 1X3X185, 1X3X225, 1X3X255, 1X3X295, 1X2X325 (stopped here because hammy was starting to complain)
4. Shoulder Prehab
5. Plank: 1X200sec (30sec side planks per side)
09-11-2012, 08:56 AM
Did some soft tissue work (foam rolled) and stretched yesterday and my hamstring is feeling much better. Shoulder appears to be decent too so I'll try some DB Bench and standing DB presses today. I've been taken Erase for a week now and, at 25mg (1 pill) per day, I've had no joint problems this time. Weight was up this morning to 209 Will have to go on a cut soon.
09-12-2012, 07:32 PM
Workout today was decent. I attempted some bench but, after a couple of sets, decided to abort (shoulder pain). Pushed pretty hard on deads despite hammy still being a little tender but didn't have any problems. Used chalk today and had no problem with grip. I will, however, need a new weight belt for heavy lift squats and deads.
1. Bench: 1X10X45, 1X10X95, 1X8X135, 1X8X185 (weights felt light but shoulder no likey)
2. DB Bench Press: 4X8X60's
3. Deads: 1X5X135, 1X5X185, 1X5X215, 1X5X255, 1X3X295, 1X3X335, 1X1X370 (+15)
4. Pullups: 1X10X10, 1X8X10, 1X6X10
5. Shoulder Prehab
6. Plank: 1X210sec (with 30 sec side planks included)
09-14-2012, 08:33 AM
Worked out really hard yesterday and it was good one. Right shoulder and elbow, however, are very sore today.
1. Low Box Squat: 1X10X45, 1X8X95, 1X8X135, 1X8X185, 1X8X205, 1X6X225, 1X6X245, 1X4X265 (+10)
2. Pushups: 4X15X25 (25lbs and 1min rest between sets)
3. KB Swings: 4X15X35 (tweaked shoulder and elbow on last set, lost concentration)
4. Bentover BB Rows: 1X8X95, 1X8X135, 1X6X165, 3X6X185 (+10)
5. Shoulder Prehab
6. Plank: 1X4minXBW
09-16-2012, 05:08 PM
Shoulder really bothering me today so didn't really do much upper body work.
1. Shoulder and elbow prehab (couldn't do Cuban Presses because shoulder pain)
2. DB Bench Press: 1X10X25, 1X10X35, 1X8X55
3. Pushups: 1X40, 1X30
4. DE Deads: 8X3X195
5. Pulldowns: 4X12X135
6. Bulgarian Squats: 3X12
7. Planks: 1X210sec
09-18-2012, 10:07 PM
Shoulder and elbows are feeling much better today but I decided to take the day off anyway. I also had too much to drink last night and felt pretty ****ty at work today so I figured I could either grind through a mediocre session or wait til tomorrow and kill it. Obviously, I chose the later Chilling out to Dire Straits and doing some foam rolling and stretching. Expecting some nice numbers tomorrow.
09-19-2012, 11:49 PM
Hit it pretty hard today. I seem to workout harder when I plan ahead and put it down on paper. Shoulder bothered me some but not too bad.
Squats: 1X8X95, 1X8X135, 1X8X185, 1X8X215, 1X8X235, 1X6X255, 1X6X285, 1X5X305 (+10)
Shoulder and elbow Prehab
DB Incline Bench: 1X10X35, 4X8X45
Good Mornings: 1X10X45, 1X8X95, 3X8X115
T Bar Rows: 1X8X55, 1X8X80, 3X8X115
09-24-2012, 11:50 AM
I got my new powerlifting belt today and looking forward to testing it tonight on deads. Lifted only once last week and I'm feeling a little guilty about that but only a little mind you. Have quit taking Erase again as it was aggravating my right shoulder and elbow. I'm looking at about 2 more weeks on this bulk and then it's time to cut
09-24-2012, 10:24 PM
Got to use my belt and me likes a lot. I think pushups are in order from now on as even DB bench messes with my shoulder.
1. Elbow prehab
2. Deads: 1X5X135, 1X5X185, 1X5X215, 1X5X255, 1X5X295, 1X3X325, 1X3X355, 1X1X385 (+15)
3. Pullups: 1X12XBW, 1X10XBW, 1X8XBW
4. DB Bench: 1X10X35's, 1X8X55's, 1X8X65's
5. Pushups: 1X30, 1X20
6. Bulgarian Squats: 2X12XBW
7. Plank: 1X4min
09-27-2012, 07:44 PM
Well yes, it's proven again. I am a complete dumbass. Was working with one of my players and decided to run sprints with her. No warmup.. check. Pulled hamstring.. check. There went my leg workout and I was going to try for reps with 315, fuk. Oh well hopefully I'll be able to do box squats on Sat or maybe Sun.
1. Elbow prehab
2. Pushups: 4X20 (various hand positions)
3. Plate Raises: 4X10X25
4. Situps: 2X20X25
5. Hanging Leg Raises: 2X15
6. Side Planks: 1X2min
7. Supine Bridge: 1X2min
8. Reverse Lunges: 2X15
9. T-Bar Row: 3X8X125
10. Calf Raises: 2X12X25
Similar Forum Threads
- By rambofireball in forum Workout LogsReplies: 37Last Post: 01-28-2013, 04:32 AM
- By warbird01 in forum SupplementsReplies: 9Last Post: 09-27-2007, 12:41 PM
- By TheMyth in forum NutraplanetReplies: 7Last Post: 04-01-2007, 02:26 PM
- By utvol in forum AnabolicsReplies: 1Last Post: 02-22-2006, 08:31 PM
- By Mr.50 in forum AnabolicsReplies: 4Last Post: 07-01-2005, 01:27 PM