5/3/1, Half Marathons, PHAT, etc etc. - Beast Mode

longhornsp

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established

[video=youtube;9vvuLAl99ec]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vvuLAl99ec[/video]

Intro:

I've been a golfer all my life. The weight room was never somewhere I needed to spend my time :(

So I had a late start and started lifting about 2.5 years ago in the spare bedroom of my apartment, hittin' up the bench press and curls about 3 times a week. It was the exact model of a confused newb's plan, didn't squat or deadlift, very little back work, no shoulder work, just worked the gunz and chest. Then I went to college about a yr. and a half ago, and hit up the weight room there. The equipment was somewhat limited but I had plenty of barbells, db's, and power racks to do work. Still wasn't doing any leg work or deadlifts though. Fast forwarding to around April or May of 09', I finally got a gym membership and started getting really serious about putting on size and strength. Now I want to just get into the best shape possible and possibly one day compete, I'm still undecided on that one. But bodybuilding means alot to me and has helped me alot in just the two years I've been into it.​

Diet:

Currently shooting for 3k calories @ 45/35/20 (p/c/f)

The numbers vary just depending on how I feel, progress, and whether its a rest day or training day.

Training:

5/3/1

Sunday: Deadlifts and Back
Monday: Shoulders, tri's
Tuesday: Off
Wednesday: Off
Thursday: Squats and legs
Friday: Bench and chest, bi's
Saturday: Off

Cardio 1-2 times a week but that will increase to 3-4 days soon and at least 5 days when I'm cutting. Lifting is 5/3/1 with bodybuilding template for assistance work, but this changes every 2-3 months. I've done the boring but big, triumverate (sp?), and "ain't doing jack sh!t" templates as well

Goals:

Add a lot of weight to all of my lifts across the board. Short term (6 months - a year) strength goals: Bench - 275 or more, Squat - 350 or more, Deadlift- 450 or more. Not far from these and have hit all those numbers before but not consistent enough to maintain it.

Welcome to the log. Reps to followers. Link me to your log if you have ono, I'd love to follow along. I'm new to the forums and will be on here representing Beast Sports Nutrition but I also want to get to know as many lifters on here as I can. I accept any and all criticism and suggestions, speak your mind if you see something I could be doing better/different! Thanks for dropping in :)

longhornsp

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeettttttttt ttttttttttttttssssssssssssssss ssss gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oo

[video=youtube;SkD-CjnW0MU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkD-CjnW0MU[/video]

Blood, sweat, and puke. Literally (srs).

Today was leg day. Nasty pump, legs are already sore. Its gonna be a rough week walking around but gotta get dem gainzzzzz

Squats

210 x 3
240 x 3
270 x 10 :eek: lightweight.

Leg Press

7 PPS x 7
7 PPS x 5
6 PPS + 25 lbs x 8
6 PPS x 10

BB Lunges

175 x 8, 6 these suck. I almost fell twice, would've been bad news bears. No spotter :eek:

Front Squats

185 x 6, 185 x 6, 185 x 6

don't stop, get it get it

Leg Extensions

one big superset 90 x 10, 110 x 10, 130 x 6
150 x 10

Seated Hamstring Curls

one big superset 90 x 10, 110 x 10, 130 x 4
150 x 8​

longhornsp

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
[video=youtube;W_-qRcHAhzk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_-qRcHAhzk[/video]

This workout was from Saturday morning. Was hoping for a lot more on my bench press but I hit my numbers easily.

Today I did some cardio and abs, along with a couple sets of machine flyes for chest to pump some blood in there and hopefully get the pecs growin' :cool:

the ab roller is my new friend for core work

Flat BB Bench

155 x 3, 175 x 3, 200 x 6

Incline DB

80 x 9, 6, 6
75 x 8

Decline HS Press

180 x 8, 8

Floor Press

185 x 4, 2 wtf :eek:

BW Dips

10 reps

Skullcrusher with ez-bar, supersetted with close grip press to failure

80 x 8, 80 x 6, 80 x 5
single arm with a DB: 30 x 10

Bench Dips

95 x 10, 10, 10​

I really need to start loving chest day :(

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You need more hamstring work. Also try only picking 2 days a week per wave to set rep PRs on. This will allow more progress before you stall.

longhornsp

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
You need more hamstring work. Also try only picking 2 days a week per wave to set rep PRs on. This will allow more progress before you stall.
I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for dropping in!

No longer doing 5/3/1.

doing a linear progression plan that changes reps each week, should help keep things fresh

Hit Chest last week and got 210 x 2 on flat bench, sucks but that should go up soon.

Today's workout.

Squats

295 x 5, 315 x 2, 320 x 2, 325 x 2 :eek:

Front Squats

225 x 3, 3, 5

Leg Extensions

210 x 5, 230 x 5, 250 x 5

Lying Leg Curls

155 x 5, 5, 5

Straight Leg DL

225 x 3, 245 x 5, 275 x 5

8 sets of calves, 5-10 reps

plan is to stick to this weight and each week the reps will increase, next week rep range is 6-8 then 9-11 reps then 12-15. So each week I'm going up in reps.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Why did you drop 5/3/1? Ive been using it for close to a year was amazing results.
Also you still need more hamstring work. If strength is a goal of yours. Pushing and pulling work should be equal. So for everything pushing (quads/chest/tris/delts) have a pulling lift (back/traps/rear delts/hamstrings).

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In here late, but I'm interested!

(It was the pic of the squatting girl that got me :lol: )

longhornsp

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Why did you drop 5/3/1? Ive been using it for close to a year was amazing results.
Also you still need more hamstring work. If strength is a goal of yours. Pushing and pulling work should be equal. So for everything pushing (quads/chest/tris/delts) have a pulling lift (back/traps/rear delts/hamstrings).
I understand what you're saying now, but tbh I've been focusing more of my efforts on my quads. Its not extremely noticeable but I'd like to improve my quads

Strength was the goal but I've been running this program for awhile now. And ran it a couple of times before that as well. Switching over to PHAT to get some more volume. Strength is always a focus for me but I'm really interested in gaining more size and getting my muscular endurance better

In here late, but I'm interested!

(It was the pic of the squatting girl that got me :lol: )

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If this is the case, buy the 5/3/1 book for powerlifting.
I do 5/3/1 for bench, squat, press, and deadlift.
I do alternating weeks of high volume and low volume for size.
I do conditioning in some form every session for endurance/conditioning.
Im bigger, stronger, and better conditioned then I have ever been.
Just saying I dont think you really read the books and explored your options.

longhornsp

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
If this is the case, buy the 5/3/1 book for powerlifting.I do 5/3/1 for bench, squat, press, and deadlift.I do alternating weeks of high volume and low volume for size.I do conditioning in some form every session for endurance/conditioning.Im bigger, stronger, and better conditioned then I have ever been. Just saying I dont think you really read the books and explored your options.
I respect your opinion boss, but I've read the original 5/3/1 book in full twice. I understand the routine and I've been utilizing the training method for awhile now. My current goals allow me to add way more volume to my training, so PHAT is perfect. My PR's will be going up way faster than what 5/3/1 can accommodate so there's no need for me to stick to that plan right now. Most likely I'll go back to it in March or April when I'm back to eating at maintenance. I don't have the 5/3/1 powerlifting book btw, I was told that there really wasn't that much different in it.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Well the first half of the 5/3/1 powerlifting book is the same as the original. But there is so much more detail in meet prep, conditioning, hypertrophy, and strength, as well as more templates that allow more frequent ME work.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ah, looks like you're changing it up already on me! I am not familiar with PHAT besides who made it and what it stands for. I guess I'll learn a little about it in here.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ah, looks like you're changing it up already on me! I am not familiar with PHAT besides who made it and what it stands for. I guess I'll learn a little about it in here.
Phat is a program by Dr. Layne Norton. Power hypertrophy A training. Lol. I don't know what the A stands for. Anyway, it's two days of power and accessory, then three days of hypertrophy. Pretty rough regime. Much more volume than the standard 5-3-1 and making strength gains on it is very hard I gather. Unless you are new, or on gear. Mass gains though are pretty good as this is a very hard program to follow.

longhornsp

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Phat is a program by Dr. Layne Norton. Power hypertrophy A training. Lol. I don't know what the A stands for. Anyway, it's two days of power and accessory, then three days of hypertrophy. Pretty rough regime. Much more volume than the standard 5-3-1 and making strength gains on it is very hard I gather. Unless you are new, or on gear. Mass gains though are pretty good as this is a very hard program to follow.
Exactly this. Its a great program, but not for everyone. Can easily be modified though. I've reduced the volume in the past and even used it during a cut. Here's a good link for using it on a cut http://gordongreenhorn.com/2010/10/03/powerhypertrophy-5-day-split/

Been busy as heck with exams and schoolwork, finally getting around to updating in here :eek:

As I posted before I've switched back to PHAT. I'm going to be setting tons of PR's and should be able to easily handle the increased volume with this routine. Diet is way up, at around 3000-3250 calories (45/35/20)

This is a workout from Monday, had to take Tuesday and Wednesday off.

Back and Shoulders hyper

HS Lat Pulldown

180 x 12, 12, 12

Seated Cable Rows

120 x 12, 9, 9

DB Rows

100 x 12, 8

Close Grip Pulldowns

105 x 13, 11

Seated DB Press

45 x 12, 10, 7

Arnold Press

35 x 7, 7, 5 pump was brutal, expected to be getting way more reps and weight out of these shoulder movements

HS shoulder Press

90 x 12, 140 x 12

Seated Lateral Raise

15 x 12, 12, 12

Today's workout. Upper body - power.

Flat Bench BB

210 x 5, 215 x 5, 225 x 2

Weighted Dips

60 x 8, 6, 8

Seated DB Shoulder Press

60 x 8, 6, 8

Pendlay Rows

185 x 5, 205 x 5, 225 x 4

Pull-ups

BW x 6, 6

DB Rows

130 x 8, 8

Lying Skullcrusher

80 x 10, 9, 6

1 set of 10 reps, ez-bar curl 80 lbs for the lulz

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good god those are some sick pendalay rows. For those I pull barely 205, while the regular 45 degree (bodybuilder type) ones I can pull around 275X5... haha. Probably cheating.

Anyway, good work man. I'll check out that link later~

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Pendlay has directly impacted my bench, bb row, db row, and deadlift. Good lift.

nergy

Awards
How do you like this 5/3/1 program ? personally i love it :)

longhornsp

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Good god those are some sick pendalay rows. For those I pull barely 205, while the regular 45 degree (bodybuilder type) ones I can pull around 275X5... haha. Probably cheating.

Anyway, good work man. I'll check out that link later~
Thanks, preciate that. Pendlays are difficult for me. I can do a lot more using the 45 degree angle too and actually get more of a pump/MMC with that style vs Pendlay. But I feel like the Pendlay is better for power and strength.

I don't know if its because of my height or what but its tough to stay in that position for anything over a couple of reps.

Do you have a log?

Pendlay has directly impacted my bench, bb row, db row, and deadlift. Good lift.
definitely helped my other back movements, especially DB rows. my bench sucks so not sure if its helped or not

How do you like this 5/3/1 program ? personally i love it :)
I love it actually, doing PHAT (power/hyper routine) but going right back to 5/3/1 in about 10-12 weeks when I'm eating closer to maintenance and need to focus on maintaining (or slightly increasing) strength.

What kind of progress have you made with it and how long have you been following it???

[video=youtube;9saEpqhBP5M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9saEpqhBP5M&ob=av3e[/video]

Pretty good lower power session tomorrow, starting to get some serious pain in my bicep/shoulder area when squatting. I think its from using too narrow of a grip but not sure. If anyone has any ideas, please halp me! :eek:

Hope everyone is looking forward to a good weekend, lots of good football on. Texas > Texas Tech, Alabama > LSU and Florida State already destroyed BC :D

Squats

325 x 4, 4, 4

Hack Squats

180 x 10, 270 x 6, 4

Straight Leg DL

225 x 10, 275 x 9, 295 x 5​

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Subbed!

I want to use some mix between 5/3/1 n phat for the winter months n lean bulk.. I usually do very high volume stuff but hoping this program can cut it down for me j get some rest n shorter workouts during the winter.. Greenhorns link above looks great.. I'm just curious as to if anyone else has templates /accessory lifts for example use.. If I plan out my own lifts I tend to end up right back at too high volume lol.. I am addicted to cardio.. Hiit 3xweek n low intensity distance 1x.. I like to train 3-5 days depending on goals/time of year.. For winter I'm hoping to have a month it two at 3 days to really focus on recovery n growth.. Any advice with templates/plans to build a lean bulk moderate volume program would be awesome..

Thanks

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I do alternating weeks of high volume and low volume for size.
I do conditioning in some form every session for endurance/conditioning.
Could u post or pm me a template/sample weekly routine if u have time n don't mind? I Iove seeing other ppls full routines n trying to adapt to my own.. Thanks man

longhornsp

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Could u post or pm me a template/sample weekly routine if u have time n don't mind? I Iove seeing other ppls full routines n trying to adapt to my own.. Thanks man
if you google 5/3/1 write-up, you'll find some info on different routines for it as well as a spreadsheet to use for your % calculations

the book is worth the $20 too

nergy

Awards
I love it actually, doing PHAT (power/hyper routine) but going right back to 5/3/1 in about 10-12 weeks when I'm eating closer to maintenance and need to focus on maintaining (or slightly increasing) strength.
I've been on for 3 cycles, but haven't doing the deload weeks, so now it's time to do it after my last deadlift session.
I haven't been squat for a month before the cycle nor doing real deadlifting session because I had not the required equipment at home.

but here is my progression on the main lift.

(I'm 5.5 for 158)

Squat : 225*11 to 300*7
bench : 250*1 to 260*1 (I think I over estimated my max)
deadlift : 270*5 to 310* ??(result on monday)
military : 110*10 to 150*4

I think I'll keep using it for a while and then switch to the PHAT program as well which looks good.

Did you do good size progress with the PHAT program ?

longhornsp

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I've been on for 3 cycles, but haven't doing the deload weeks, so now it's time to do it after my last deadlift session.
I haven't been squat for a month before the cycle nor doing real deadlifting session because I had not the required equipment at home.

but here is my progression on the main lift.

(I'm 5.5 for 158)

Squat : 225*11 to 300*7
bench : 250*1 to 260*1 (I think I over estimated my max)
deadlift : 270*5 to 310* ??(result on monday)
military : 110*10 to 150*4

I think I'll keep using it for a while and then switch to the PHAT program as well which looks good.

Did you do good size progress with the PHAT program ?
Why haven't you been doing the deload each cycle?? I thought that was a critical part of the plan, but I could be wrong. That's amazing progress as far as strength, dam. GJ!

Size gains are great with PHAT but the volume is h3ll......I usually tweak the split as needed to accommodate my recovery. Muscle are always full and pumped when running this split, one of the nice benefits of the plan

[video=youtube;lQlIhraqL7o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQlIhraqL7o&feature=re lmfu[/video]

Weight was decent, still having some issues with my shoulder or bicep. Possibly tendonitis ? It hurts the most when I squat, but also bothers me during some of the other lifts. Got a really good pump. Using shorter rest periods and I think my muscle endurance is getting better.

Today's Games:
Bucs>NO
Bills>Jets
Dolphins<KC

Incline DB Press

85 x 8, 5, 5

Hammer Strength Chest Press found my new favorite machine, really good MMC with this movement....one of the few exercises I can really feel my chest doing the work

140 x 9, 9, 7

Incline Cable Flyes

40 lbs, 60 lbs, 40 lbs

Standing Cable Flyes FST-7 style, 30 second rest periods

30 x 10, 10, 10, 10

Smith CG BP

135 x 8, 155 x 9, 175 x 5, 6

Seated Tricep Extension w/EZ-bar

60 x 15, 16
70 x 14

Cable Rope Pulldowns

50 x 16, 60 lbs, 50 lbs

Ez-bar preacher curl

bar + 10 lbs/each side x 10 reps, bar + 20 lbs/each side x 10 reps

Standing DB Hammer Curls

50 x 10, 50 x 10​

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Subbed!

I want to use some mix between 5/3/1 n phat for the winter months n lean bulk.. I usually do very high volume stuff but hoping this program can cut it down for me j get some rest n shorter workouts during the winter.. Greenhorns link above looks great.. I'm just curious as to if anyone else has templates /accessory lifts for example use.. If I plan out my own lifts I tend to end up right back at too high volume lol.. I am addicted to cardio.. Hiit 3xweek n low intensity distance 1x.. I like to train 3-5 days depending on goals/time of year.. For winter I'm hoping to have a month it two at 3 days to really focus on recovery n growth.. Any advice with templates/plans to build a lean bulk moderate volume program would be awesome..

Thanks
Simplyshredded dot com has a good article on phat written by layne norton.
There is no need to combine 5/3/1 and phat.
Phat is a knock off of WSC training. It focuses on nonlinear progression so adding 5/3/1 to it would defeat the purpose. You have ME lifts that rotate every 2-3 weeks with DE lifts that are always the same.
5/3/1 is periodization based training. Slow increases over time, its ideal to run 5/3/1 for 6 monthes to a couple years, not 2-4 monthes.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/183854-blue-gene-green.html
Heres my log if you wanna see my actual sessions
But

I do 3/5/1 not 5/3/1
Wave A- 70/80/90%x3, high volume week
Wave B- 65/75/85%x5, low volume week
Wave C- 75/85/95%x5/3/1, high volume week
Wave D- Modified Deload 65/75/85%x3, low volume (I do this deload, then my next deload will be 40/50/60%x5)

Mon-Bench
Tues-Squat
Wed-Off
Thurs-Press
Fri-Off
Sat-Deadlift
Sun-Off

Bench:
I always start with 20 chins before I do any pressing
Bench+Chins
Pressing Assistence
Row
Tricep Lift+Upper Back Lift
Biceps
Conditioning 10-15min worth

Squat
Hamstring Assistence
Quad Lift, usually a unilateral lift
Core Work

Press
20 Chins
Press+Chins
Dips
Row+Upper Back Lift
Tricep Lift+Bicep Lift
YTLs

Deadlift
Quad Assistence, usually uni-lateral work
Hamstring Lift
Core Work

Low volume weeks I do 3 sets for 8-20 reps on my assistence lifts
High volume weeks I do 5 sets for 8-20 reps on my assistence lifts
I only pick to main lifts a week to try to PR on
Conditioning Work includes circuits with the prowler, bear crawls, trap work, farmers walk, sprints, ect.
Chins are always done inbetween every pressing set, always.
I usually got for rep PRs on assistence in low volume weeks and weight PRs in high volume weeks.

Btw to the guy who doesnt deload, just do it. Your not doing 5/3/1 if you dont deload...

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I believe there is a PHAT/5-3-1 hybrid written by a scivation athlete on M&S i wanna say?? I know I read it there. Volume is insane...

nergy

Awards
Why haven't you been doing the deload each cycle?? I thought that was a critical part of the plan, but I could be wrong. That's amazing progress as far as strength, dam. GJ!

Size gains are great with PHAT but the volume is h3ll......I usually tweak the split as needed to accommodate my recovery. Muscle are always full and pumped when running this split, one of the nice benefits of the plan
Because I've been used to higher intensity for a long period so, getting back to 4 workouts a week was pretty easy and i wasn't that tired but yeah i should have followed the plan, which will be necessary for the next cycles, I'm on the big but boring for military press and deadlift. It feels pretty good but it was only 5*10 for now.
5*20 will be very hard :)

I'll keep you update if you wish.

Did you take any pictures for the before/after comparaison for the PHAT program ?

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Really interesting you find the hammer strength chest press machine so useful. I'm glad you found something, though.

Here's something I've been doing since July that's helped me immensely feel the chest muscles get hammered doing bench work. After I'm more or less set up on the bench, I like to go through the motion of pulling a rubber band apart with my hands until my hands are at my sides basically. Then, keeping my back tight, I repeat said motion. I really feel this helping me open up my chest so that all the muscles get stretched during the eccentric portion of the press (it probably also plays more of a role during the concentric, too, if you do this!).

Just thought I'd share this with you. If you try it on your next bench session, let me know how it goes. It works for incline, flat or decline!

longhornsp

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Because I've been used to higher intensity for a long period so, getting back to 4 workouts a week was pretty easy and i wasn't that tired but yeah i should have followed the plan, which will be necessary for the next cycles, I'm on the big but boring for military press and deadlift. It feels pretty good but it was only 5*10 for now.
5*20 will be very hard :)

I'll keep you update if you wish.

Did you take any pictures for the before/after comparaison for the PHAT program ?
Boring But Big is brutal, that's my go to. I enjoy that one and the Triumverate (sp?)

Didn't take any pictures, might take some soon actually to see where I'm at.

Really interesting you find the hammer strength chest press machine so useful. I'm glad you found something, though.

Here's something I've been doing since July that's helped me immensely feel the chest muscles get hammered doing bench work. After I'm more or less set up on the bench, I like to go through the motion of pulling a rubber band apart with my hands until my hands are at my sides basically. Then, keeping my back tight, I repeat said motion. I really feel this helping me open up my chest so that all the muscles get stretched during the eccentric portion of the press (it probably also plays more of a role during the concentric, too, if you do this!).

Just thought I'd share this with you. If you try it on your next bench session, let me know how it goes. It works for incline, flat or decline!
That's an awesome tip! I saw that somewhere elitefts I believe and do it every once in a while to get shoulder blades tight before benching, but I should do more often. Never thought to do it on the other chest moves.

I do like the HS machine, I think if I shorten the range of motion a little bit it might feel even better. Sometimes I use too much ROM and take the tension on the muscle being worked

longhornsp

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
[video=youtube;22l1sf5JZD0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22l1sf5JZD0[/video]

shoulder is a little tweaked, didn't feel 100 on the shoulder presses

Press

155 x 5, 150 x 5, 155 x 4

Arnold Press

35 lbs x 15, 35 x 8

Lateral Raises

40 x 12, 45 x 8, 25 x fail

HS Lat Pulldowns

200 x 12, 230 x 12, 10

Yates Rows

135 x 12, 185 x 8, 205 x 8

Seated Cable Rows with a Rope attachment

90, 90

Seated Cable Rows with str8 bar

DB Shrugs

130 x 15, 15​

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Nice sessions man, I bet you could do much more weight on your yates rows if you try.

longhornsp

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Nice sessions man, I bet you could do much more weight on your yates rows if you try.
yeah probably, had to take it a little easy my back felt terrible....could be from the volume of these workouts or i just didn't stretch it out enough

Upper Body Power

Flat Bench

225 x 5, 225 x 5, 225 x 4 wooo-hoo lol....almost got the last rep but my wife had to help me out

Weighted Dips

70 x 9, 6

DB Shoulder Press on a flat bench with no back support

60 x 7

Hammer Strength Shoulder Press

140 x 10, 180 x 5

Pendlay Rows

135 x 5, 185 x 5, 225 x 5, 225 x 5

Hammer Curls w/DB

55 x 10, 10

Ez-bar Curls

90 x 10

Skullcrusher

90 x 3 (lulz)
standing overhead extensions 90 x 10, 10

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Late but following now! Get it done!

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Also meant to ask, do you mind posting your current supps list?

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just decided that I will be using PHAT for my next training phase. Coming off 5x5. :D

I'll be back here for some more of your posts on workouts :D

longhornsp

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Just decided that I will be using PHAT for my next training phase. Coming off 5x5. :D

I'll be back here for some more of your posts on workouts :D
Nice, link me to a log if you do one for it.

I'm loving the split right now. Had an awesome chest hypertrophy workout yesterday. I'll post up some updates tomorrow morning, gotta get to bed early so I can get in my back/shoulder workout in the am before work

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Real nice dips on that last workout you posted, man.

longhornsp

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Decent leg day yesterday (not worthy of posting tho :/), still not back on track with legs. I was doing squats last week with 335 (a PR for me) for reps and tweaked my shoulder/elbow, feels like tendonitis but I'm not positive what it is. Leg day was a bit of a struggle without being able to do any squats, I'll have to change things up a bit until I feel 100% again. Everything else is going great though, weight is up and strength is up. Successful bulk so far :D

Real nice dips on that last workout you posted, man.
Thanks, I love dips but they're killing my joints so I might have to take a couple weeks off. Even doing bodyweight dips hurt :(

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Try letting the weight sit in your lats when you dip and use your back, this should help the shoulder issues.

longhornsp

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Try letting the weight sit in your lats when you dip and use your back, this should help the shoulder issues.
I'll try this and see what happens, I've never seen this tip before. This is for parallel grip dips right???

I think its just because of my joints.

I apologize for the lack of updates. :eek:

workouts have been going pretty good, body is feeling great one day and achy the next. Tonight was one of those workouts where I just zoned out and wanted to keep going and going, only left because it was closing time and the mofos kicked me out lol.

going to post up all my recent workouts

11/13- Sunday (Chest and arms hyper)

Incline DB Press

85 x 11, 7
80 x 9
Barbell: 135 x 8

Hammer Strength Flat Press

140 x 5, 11, 7

Dips

BW x 12

Machine Flye

100 x 15, 110 x 12

Low cable flye

20 x 15, 30 x 12

Skullcrushers (lying)

60 x 16, 80 x 11

Ez-bar Pressdowns

120 x 7, 100 x 11

One arm Pushdowns

50 x 9, 40 x fail

DB Curls

35 x 10, 45 x 7, 35 x 9

DB Concentration curls

25 x 12, 12

Hi Cable Curls

20 x 15, 20 x 15

11/14- Legs (hyper)

not worth posting. did some hack squats and 2 sets of leg presses then left :/

11/15- Shoulder and Back (hyper)

BB Shoulder Press (standing)

160 x 5, 160 x 4, 165 x 2

DB Shoulder Press

neutral grip: 50 x 12
standing one arm: 60 x 8
seated normal grip: 50 x 12

Pull ups

BW x 8, 8, 6

Hammer Strength Low Row

135 x 8, 12, 12

Seated Cable Row (underhand grip with an ez-bar)

110 x 15, 150 x 8

Kneeling Cable Rows with Rope

120 x 12, 120 x 12

did a couple more sets for shoulders and some core/ab work (ab wheel, cable crunches)

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Its similar to when you bench, you let the weight sit in your lats as the bar comes down, this helps you get tight and stable, then you press and the lats flare some. This is why a big bb row can help someones bench press. Just do the same thing when doing dips, I have a raised AC joint in my left shoulder and never notice it bc of the back work I do (which stablizes the joint) and I do all my pressing this way. Also if its elbow pain make sure to warm up with curls. Also I saw you injured your shoulders doing squats? Imma recommend you look up joe defrancos simple six for your shoulders and his agile 8 for your hip/back. Take care man.

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
DB incline press with 85's not bad at all!
How do you like the cable flyes? They feel so good.

longhornsp

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Its similar to when you bench, you let the weight sit in your lats as the bar comes down, this helps you get tight and stable, then you press and the lats flare some. This is why a big bb row can help someones bench press. Just do the same thing when doing dips, I have a raised AC joint in my left shoulder and never notice it bc of the back work I do (which stablizes the joint) and I do all my pressing this way. Also if its elbow pain make sure to warm up with curls. Also I saw you injured your shoulders doing squats? Imma recommend you look up joe defrancos simple six for your shoulders and his agile 8 for your hip/back. Take care man.
Thanks for the info! I'll look these up this weekend. I think my back is just worn out, probably from the volume of these workouts. I've been doing low volume for a really long time. That with heavier pendlay's I think is what's causing the back pain. Shoulder just feels fine doing any other lifts, except for on squats. Shoulder presses its okay, bench its fine, but squats it hurts like shyt. Can't tell if its my rotator, tendonitis in my forearm and the pain is moving up to my shoulder, idk

DB incline press with 85's not bad at all!
How do you like the cable flyes? They feel so good.
Thanks man, chest is my weak link for sure. Hoping to get these numbers up

The flyes feel amazing. I saw a video the other day that helped a lot with em, the MMC is insane.

link: http://www.simplyshredded.com/wbff-pro-rob-riches-intense-chest-tricep-workout.html

definitely worth watching....the flyes are done without any attachments and then you can go further with the ROM

[video=youtube;uWgr_p0ykwo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWgr_p0ykwo[/video]

Weight is up to around 218-219, putting on a little fat but a lot of quality size too. Almost 9 weeks into this bulk. Hoping to hold out until the end of January and then start to recomp/cut back down (slowly)

BB Flat Bench

230 x 5, 5
235 x 3

Incline BB

185 x 6, 185 x 4

Hammer Strength Shoulder Press

180 x 10, 6

Pendlay Rows

225 x 5, 5
230 x 5

Neutral Grip Pull ups

BW 10, 8, 8

Rack Chins

25 lbs x 8
BW x 8

Close Grip Bench

135 x 12
185 x 7, 7, 4​

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Are you using anything for your preworkouts?

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Holy cats bro!

Mean on them Pendalay rows! I max out at 205 X 2 or so, Never tried doing more than triples past 185... REPS

longhornsp

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Are you using anything for your preworkouts?
Beast Mode/Creature or the AX non-stim I got the other day. There's a new pre I want to try but its hard to stray from Beast Mode. I also use Predator too. Our pre's stack up to any of the competition. The energy is exactly what I need and the pumps aren't too much that they hold you back. Just the right amount :D

Holy cats bro!

Mean on them Pendalay rows! I max out at 205 X 2 or so, Never tried doing more than triples past 185... REPS
Preciate it man! My back is growing like a freaking weed, I'll post some pics l8r

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
In for questionable half nudez

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Oliver Kween Anabolics 2
ugsavage Anabolics 7
bonbon Pics 5