MDpwrlifter's Powerlifting/Bodybuilding Log - AnabolicMinds.com

MDpwrlifter's Powerlifting/Bodybuilding Log

Page 1 of 7 1236 ... Last
    Stats
    5'8"  158 lbs.

MDpwrlifter's Powerlifting/Bodybuilding Log

Hey guys, figured I'd keep track of my workouts once again with this log, as I did once before on "another' website. I'm 18 and weigh in the upper 150's, and plan to compete in the IPA and/or IPF for a state record in the 148lb. class. I've been serious about some sort of competition for a while, and figured it's time to get my ass in gear. Until I am of age, I'll be competing in the 18-20 y/o class (Called the junior class, I believe) with hopes of achieving some sort of esteemed total, and possibly achieve record lifts. I've been through a number of training routines since I began weight training (a few years ago) and I've been sporadic with watching calories and assuring I am eating enough. That all, is about to change. I am forcing myself to be consistent with my diet, as well as in the gym. I came across a few good training routines (5/3/1 and Westside Barbell) which I have become very fond of. The chance to increase weight lifted at a light bodyweight gives me a reason to tell all of the "haters" off. But for right now, I haven't done any competition sports in years, and this will be great introduction to get the competitive juices flowing. Enough rambling, here are current stats:

5'8"
    ~156lbs.
    Bench-225
    Squat-315
    Deadlift-355

**Haven't had a one rep max day in a good while, so this is my best to date**

Daily Caloric Goals- 4000 calories, not too strict on fat and carbs, just want enough protein.

I am on a Westside Barbell routine, utilizing the conjugation method in conjunction with max effort and dynamic effort days. My goal is to break one of the Maryland State records under the IPF and/or IPA, and achieve a 1000+lb total. Let's roll.

Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.

Hell yeah in for this!
    I hope everybody thinks i'm crazy, because you cannot be a sane person and go through the type of pain i am willing to put myself through to be where i want to be, Once I completely win the war between my mind and body, my reign will begin. ~Me
    Stats
    5'8"  158 lbs.

Gonna post workouts starting tomorrow, today is off day!
    •   

Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.

Same here, Training legs tomorrow
    I hope everybody thinks i'm crazy, because you cannot be a sane person and go through the type of pain i am willing to put myself through to be where i want to be, Once I completely win the war between my mind and body, my reign will begin. ~Me
    Stats
    5'8"  158 lbs.

Yeah I have dynamic upper body. Good ****
    Stats
    6'0"  232 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

WSC all day!!
    Serious Nutrition Solutions
    Stats
    5'8"  158 lbs.

Ima sound like an idiot but what's wsc ha ha I'm clueless.
    Stats
    6'0"  232 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by mdpwrlifter View Post
    Ima sound like an idiot but what's wsc ha ha I'm clueless.
    west side conjugate foo :P
    Stats
    5'8"  158 lbs.

Well sh*t I sure am a fool. Yeah I really do like it a lot though. Let's see if it pays off
    Stats
    6'0"  232 lbs.

Well sh*t I sure am a fool. Yeah I really do like it a lot though. Let's see if it pays off
    haha!! it will. so many variations to every lift, grips / heights / chains / bands. as long as you get stronger at all them, your main 3 lifts will increase
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by GeekPoop View Post
    haha!! it will. so many variations to every lift, grips / heights / chains / bands. as long as you get stronger at all them, your main 3 lifts will increase
    Wish my gym had chains and bands :|
    Stats
    6'0"  232 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by thetinyguy View Post
    Wish my gym had chains and bands :|
    me too, i bought my own bands. making my own chains this week

ok ill quit spamming worthless **** in this log lol sowwwwiiiie
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I just bought a pair of EFS short light and average bands. I'm so excited to add these into my training to work on my bar speed.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Stats
    5'8"  158 lbs.

Good, because I need some competition in my life. The records are really intimidating though!.
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.

Good, because I need some competition in my life. The records are really intimidating though!.
    Just think to yourself that it's just a number, because that's honestly all it is. My will cannot be measured with a number! Think of it that way
    Stats
    5'8"  158 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by GeekPoop
    me too, i bought my own bands. making my own chains this week

ok ill quit spamming worthless **** in this log lol sowwwwiiiie
    Your cool man I like lifting chat, go ahead. I bought some bands, they are amazing. My gym already has chains.
    Stats
    5'8"  158 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja
    I just bought a pair of EFS short light and average bands. I'm so excited to add these into my training to work on my bar speed.
    I need to work on that with my lifts too, especially bench.
    Stats
    5'8"  158 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by thetinyguy

Just think to yourself that it's just a number, because that's honestly all it is. My will cannot be measured with a number! Think of it that way
    Agreed man. Thanks for the solid words of encouragement. We shall see!
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.

Agreed man. Thanks for the solid words of encouragement. We shall see!
    No problem just be confident that you can do it and stay that way
    Stats
    5'8"  158 lbs.

Thanks. Just got done a.m. workout, will post the happenings later after work.
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.

Thanks. Just got done a.m. workout, will post the happenings later after work.
    Yeahhh buddy, about to go train legs myself!
    Stats
    5'8"  158 lbs.

8/8/2011 Dynamic Effort Upper Body

Dynamic Effort Upper Body

Flat Bench 10 sets of 3 @ 135, 3 seconds per set, Various grips

Decline Bench db Press 45lb db's 3 sets of 20

Tricep Pressdown, 60 reps total, about 8-10 reps per set (Made sure I hit 60 reps total)

Reverse Pec Deck fly (Rear Delts) 115lbs 2x10

Medial Delt Raise Machine 95lbs. 2 sets of 11

Facepulls, seated, 110lbs 3 sets of 10

***Notes***
    Decent workout day, pretty tired going in but left feeling pretty good. My breakfast lacked enough calories, and I'm spending the rest of the day catching up. Hopefully I can set some new numbers on maxes in the coming weeks.
    Stats
    6'0"  232 lbs.

using any bands or chains for DE work?
    Stats
    5'8"  158 lbs.

Yes I use chains on bench and bands on box squats. I only have two sets of bands but I love them and hope to get more soon.
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.

Flat Bench 10 sets of 3 @ 135, 3 seconds per set, Various grips

Decline Bench db Press 45lb db's 3 sets of 20

Tricep Pressdown, 60 reps total, about 8-10 reps per set (Made sure I hit 60 reps total)

Reverse Pec Deck fly (Rear Delts) 115lbs 2x10

Medial Delt Raise Machine 95lbs. 2 sets of 11

Facepulls, seated, 110lbs 3 sets of 10

***Notes***
    Decent workout day, pretty tired going in but left feeling pretty good. My breakfast lacked enough calories, and I'm spending the rest of the day catching up. Hopefully I can set some new numbers on maxes in the coming weeks.
    Calories will make that difference too, it literally happened to me in my log...It SUCKS

Keep up the good work!
    Stats
    5'8"  158 lbs.

Thanks. I believe I made it up at dinner, bashed legs this morning. Will journal it later after work.
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.

Thanks. I believe I made it up at dinner, bashed legs this morning. Will journal it later after work.
    You'll be good then, i'll post my leg session today too
    Stats
    6'0"  232 lbs.

i got some ME lower... dem squats vs monster minis in a couple hours. the bands dont stand a chance
    Stats
    5'8"  158 lbs.

Max Effort Lower Body 8/9/2011

Max Effort Lower Body

Front Squats, work up to max, 185x3, 225x1 (PR)

Glute Ham Raise Machine 3x7

Pullthroughs 3x8-10 reps

DB Rows, 125lb db, 3x5-7

Hammer Curls 3x10-12 reps

***Notes***
    Felt pretty good, was impressed with myself on front squats. The rest of the workout was great, always look forward to dumbbell rows. Diet was pretty solid today, enough cals and protein in. I really don't enjoy having to eat this much, as I have a bad stomach, but the thought of progressing sounds nice. In other news, I was watching a report on CBS by Scott Pelley, who was reporting from Somalia. The refugees in the camp and those entering were severely malnourished, and it got me thinking. I'm really lucky to have what I have and be given the chance to even pick up a hobby like bodybuilding or powerlifting. I'm not trying to preach to anyone, it was just a sight to see people who don't even have the basic needs of life. I am thankful for what I have every day, and to be able to pursue my goals without such a strain on the mind and body as these people are enduring.
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.

Max Effort Lower Body

Front Squats, work up to max, 185x3, 225x1 (PR)

Glute Ham Raise Machine 3x7

Pullthroughs 3x8-10 reps

DB Rows, 125lb db, 3x5-7

Hammer Curls 3x10-12 reps

***Notes***
    Felt pretty good, was impressed with myself on front squats. The rest of the workout was great, always look forward to dumbbell rows. Diet was pretty solid today, enough cals and protein in. I really don't enjoy having to eat this much, as I have a bad stomach, but the thought of progressing sounds nice. In other news, I was watching a report on CBS by Scott Pelley, who was reporting from Somalia. The refugees in the camp and those entering were severely malnourished, and it got me thinking. I'm really lucky to have what I have and be given the chance to even pick up a hobby like bodybuilding or powerlifting. I'm not trying to preach to anyone, it was just a sight to see people who don't even have the basic needs of life. I am thankful for what I have every day, and to be able to pursue my goals without such a strain on the mind and body as these people are enduring.
    I hear you on that, Checkout this documentary i guarantee you'll like it. Shows you how much people take for granted, I literally don't waste my money on anything i don't believe in because of this. Great workout too!

http://documentarystorm.com/afghan-muscles/

When you click the play icon just exit out of the pop-up and go back it'll play.
    Stats
    5'8"  158 lbs.

Thanks man I'll check it out after work.
    Stats
    5'8"  158 lbs.

Good workout today, will post shortly my numbers and thoughts.
    Stats
    6'0"  232 lbs.

incase youre wondering what im doing on a saturday afternoon... bout to do some DE squats. dammit.
    Stats
    5'8"  158 lbs.

sorry I didn't get to post thursday's lift! It will be up here in minutes! In regards to today, I had plumbing work to do all hours that my gym was open 8am-530pm, so I reluctantly missed a workout. I will probably go tomorrow and switch up my days, or just go on three days or something. I am not sure.
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.

sorry I didn't get to post thursday's lift! It will be up here in minutes! In regards to today, I had plumbing work to do all hours that my gym was open 8am-530pm, so I reluctantly missed a workout. I will probably go tomorrow and switch up my days, or just go on three days or something. I am not sure.
    As long as your planning around it you'll be good, shows your will as well!
    Stats
    5'8"  158 lbs.

Max Effort Upper Body 8/11/2011

Max Effort Upper Body

Floor Press, Dumbbells for warm ups including 85's for 5

Barbell with 185 for 3 sets of 5 reps

Rope Pressdown and Skull Crushers 3 sets, 5-7 reps

Thick Bar Barbell Shoulder Press 135 3 sets 5 reps

Facepulls 3 sets of 10

***Notes***
    Felt pretty good for doing floor presses for the first time, was a bit nervous about dropping the weights as I don't have a spotter. I am getting pretty damn hungry to do this meet and have competition once again.
    Stats
    5'8"  158 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by thetinyguy View Post
    As long as your planning around it you'll be good, shows your will as well!
    Today was a special exception, I had to help out a good friend who had a plumbing disaster haha. Believe me, I HATE missing lifting days, but I will make it up somehow! I love to train way too much to give up.
    Stats
    5'8"  158 lbs.

Great workout, dynamic upper body. Will post happenings later!
    Stats
    5'8"  158 lbs.

Dynamic Effort Upper Body 8/15/2011

Speed Work 50% BB Bench 135lbs 10 sets 2 reps, each set under 3 seconds, 3 types of grips

Flat Bench DB Press 45's 3x25

Dips and Rope Pressdown, 60 reps total

Reverse Pec Dec Fly 2x10

DB Side Raises 25's 2x8-10

Reverse Bench Rows 90lb EZ Bar 3x10

***Notes***
    Went very well, the speed work definitely needs improvement and focus, bench is probably my weakest exercise. Otherwise, I tried reverse bench rows for the first time, they seemed pretty decent. I like facepulls just as much. Diet was on point today with plenty of protein and cals. Hopefully if I am indeed gaining weight, I do not gain too much for February or August '12 comps that I plan on competing in..
    Stats
    5'8"  158 lbs.

Pretty solid lower body day today, will post later!

Similar Forum Threads

1. burn more calories Powerlifting then bodybuilding??
    By brownstown89 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-17-2012, 12:03 PM
  2. bodybuilding and powerlifting/strongman
    By DEADn in forum General Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-15-2009, 07:58 AM
  3. Bodybuilding/Powerbuilding/Powerlifting/Crossfit? What to do!?
    By DaveWalton in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-25-2009, 07:26 AM
  4. Powerlifting vs. Bodybuilding belt
    By cpa5oh in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-15-2005, 08:37 AM
  5. We need a powerlifting/bodybuilding section
    By Big H in forum General Chat
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-07-2002, 04:28 PM