MDpwrlifter's Powerlifting/Bodybuilding Log

mdpwrlifter

Awards
Hey guys, figured I'd keep track of my workouts once again with this log, as I did once before on "another' website. I'm 18 and weigh in the upper 150's, and plan to compete in the IPA and/or IPF for a state record in the 148lb. class. I've been serious about some sort of competition for a while, and figured it's time to get my ass in gear. Until I am of age, I'll be competing in the 18-20 y/o class (Called the junior class, I believe) with hopes of achieving some sort of esteemed total, and possibly achieve record lifts. I've been through a number of training routines since I began weight training (a few years ago) and I've been sporadic with watching calories and assuring I am eating enough. That all, is about to change. I am forcing myself to be consistent with my diet, as well as in the gym. I came across a few good training routines (5/3/1 and Westside Barbell) which I have become very fond of. The chance to increase weight lifted at a light bodyweight gives me a reason to tell all of the "haters" off. But for right now, I haven't done any competition sports in years, and this will be great introduction to get the competitive juices flowing. Enough rambling, here are current stats:

5'8"
~156lbs.
Bench-225
Squat-315
Deadlift-355

**Haven't had a one rep max day in a good while, so this is my best to date**

Daily Caloric Goals- 4000 calories, not too strict on fat and carbs, just want enough protein.

I am on a Westside Barbell routine, utilizing the conjugation method in conjunction with max effort and dynamic effort days. My goal is to break one of the Maryland State records under the IPF and/or IPA, and achieve a 1000+lb total. Let's roll.

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
Hell yeah in for this!

mdpwrlifter

Awards
Gonna post workouts starting tomorrow, today is off day!

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
Same here, Training legs tomorrow :evil:

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
WSC all day!! :)

mdpwrlifter

Awards
Ima sound like an idiot but what's wsc ha ha I'm clueless.

mdpwrlifter

Awards
Well sh*t I sure am a fool. Yeah I really do like it a lot though. Let's see if it pays off

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
Well sh*t I sure am a fool. Yeah I really do like it a lot though. Let's see if it pays off
haha!! it will. so many variations to every lift, grips / heights / chains / bands. as long as you get stronger at all them, your main 3 lifts will increase

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
haha!! it will. so many variations to every lift, grips / heights / chains / bands. as long as you get stronger at all them, your main 3 lifts will increase
Wish my gym had chains and bands :|

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
Wish my gym had chains and bands :|
me too, i bought my own bands. making my own chains this week

ok ill quit spamming worthless **** in this log lol sowwwwiiiie

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just bought a pair of EFS short light and average bands. I'm so excited to add these into my training to work on my bar speed.

mdpwrlifter

Awards
Good, because I need some competition in my life. The records are really intimidating though!.

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
Good, because I need some competition in my life. The records are really intimidating though!.
Just think to yourself that it's just a number, because that's honestly all it is. My will cannot be measured with a number! Think of it that way

mdpwrlifter

Awards
me too, i bought my own bands. making my own chains this week

ok ill quit spamming worthless **** in this log lol sowwwwiiiie
Your cool man I like lifting chat, go ahead. I bought some bands, they are amazing. My gym already has chains.

mdpwrlifter

Awards
I just bought a pair of EFS short light and average bands. I'm so excited to add these into my training to work on my bar speed.
I need to work on that with my lifts too, especially bench.

mdpwrlifter

Awards
Just think to yourself that it's just a number, because that's honestly all it is. My will cannot be measured with a number! Think of it that way
Agreed man. Thanks for the solid words of encouragement. We shall see!

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
Agreed man. Thanks for the solid words of encouragement. We shall see!
No problem just be confident that you can do it and stay that way

mdpwrlifter

Awards
Thanks. Just got done a.m. workout, will post the happenings later after work.

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards

mdpwrlifter

Awards
8/8/2011 Dynamic Effort Upper Body

Dynamic Effort Upper Body

Flat Bench 10 sets of 3 @ 135, 3 seconds per set, Various grips

Decline Bench db Press 45lb db's 3 sets of 20

Tricep Pressdown, 60 reps total, about 8-10 reps per set (Made sure I hit 60 reps total)

Reverse Pec Deck fly (Rear Delts) 115lbs 2x10

Medial Delt Raise Machine 95lbs. 2 sets of 11

Facepulls, seated, 110lbs 3 sets of 10

***Notes***
Decent workout day, pretty tired going in but left feeling pretty good. My breakfast lacked enough calories, and I'm spending the rest of the day catching up. Hopefully I can set some new numbers on maxes in the coming weeks.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
using any bands or chains for DE work?

mdpwrlifter

Awards
Yes I use chains on bench and bands on box squats. I only have two sets of bands but I love them and hope to get more soon.

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards

Flat Bench 10 sets of 3 @ 135, 3 seconds per set, Various grips

Decline Bench db Press 45lb db's 3 sets of 20

Tricep Pressdown, 60 reps total, about 8-10 reps per set (Made sure I hit 60 reps total)

Reverse Pec Deck fly (Rear Delts) 115lbs 2x10

Medial Delt Raise Machine 95lbs. 2 sets of 11

Facepulls, seated, 110lbs 3 sets of 10

***Notes***
Decent workout day, pretty tired going in but left feeling pretty good. My breakfast lacked enough calories, and I'm spending the rest of the day catching up. Hopefully I can set some new numbers on maxes in the coming weeks.
Calories will make that difference too, it literally happened to me in my log...It SUCKS

Keep up the good work!

mdpwrlifter

Awards
Thanks. I believe I made it up at dinner, bashed legs this morning. Will journal it later after work.

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
Thanks. I believe I made it up at dinner, bashed legs this morning. Will journal it later after work.
You'll be good then, i'll post my leg session today too

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
i got some ME lower... dem squats vs monster minis in a couple hours. the bands dont stand a chance :)

mdpwrlifter

Awards
Max Effort Lower Body 8/9/2011

Max Effort Lower Body

Front Squats, work up to max, 185x3, 225x1 (PR)

Glute Ham Raise Machine 3x7

Pullthroughs 3x8-10 reps

DB Rows, 125lb db, 3x5-7

Hammer Curls 3x10-12 reps

***Notes***
Felt pretty good, was impressed with myself on front squats. The rest of the workout was great, always look forward to dumbbell rows. Diet was pretty solid today, enough cals and protein in. I really don't enjoy having to eat this much, as I have a bad stomach, but the thought of progressing sounds nice. In other news, I was watching a report on CBS by Scott Pelley, who was reporting from Somalia. The refugees in the camp and those entering were severely malnourished, and it got me thinking. I'm really lucky to have what I have and be given the chance to even pick up a hobby like bodybuilding or powerlifting. I'm not trying to preach to anyone, it was just a sight to see people who don't even have the basic needs of life. I am thankful for what I have every day, and to be able to pursue my goals without such a strain on the mind and body as these people are enduring.

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
Max Effort Lower Body

Front Squats, work up to max, 185x3, 225x1 (PR)

Glute Ham Raise Machine 3x7

Pullthroughs 3x8-10 reps

DB Rows, 125lb db, 3x5-7

Hammer Curls 3x10-12 reps

***Notes***
Felt pretty good, was impressed with myself on front squats. The rest of the workout was great, always look forward to dumbbell rows. Diet was pretty solid today, enough cals and protein in. I really don't enjoy having to eat this much, as I have a bad stomach, but the thought of progressing sounds nice. In other news, I was watching a report on CBS by Scott Pelley, who was reporting from Somalia. The refugees in the camp and those entering were severely malnourished, and it got me thinking. I'm really lucky to have what I have and be given the chance to even pick up a hobby like bodybuilding or powerlifting. I'm not trying to preach to anyone, it was just a sight to see people who don't even have the basic needs of life. I am thankful for what I have every day, and to be able to pursue my goals without such a strain on the mind and body as these people are enduring.
I hear you on that, Checkout this documentary i guarantee you'll like it. Shows you how much people take for granted, I literally don't waste my money on anything i don't believe in because of this. Great workout too!

http://documentarystorm.com/afghan-muscles/

When you click the play icon just exit out of the pop-up and go back it'll play.

mdpwrlifter

Awards
Good workout today, will post shortly my numbers and thoughts.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
incase youre wondering what im doing on a saturday afternoon... bout to do some DE squats. dammit.

mdpwrlifter

Awards
sorry I didn't get to post thursday's lift! It will be up here in minutes! In regards to today, I had plumbing work to do all hours that my gym was open 8am-530pm, so I reluctantly missed a workout. I will probably go tomorrow and switch up my days, or just go on three days or something. I am not sure.

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
sorry I didn't get to post thursday's lift! It will be up here in minutes! In regards to today, I had plumbing work to do all hours that my gym was open 8am-530pm, so I reluctantly missed a workout. I will probably go tomorrow and switch up my days, or just go on three days or something. I am not sure.
As long as your planning around it you'll be good, shows your will as well!

mdpwrlifter

Awards
Max Effort Upper Body 8/11/2011

Max Effort Upper Body

Floor Press, Dumbbells for warm ups including 85's for 5

Barbell with 185 for 3 sets of 5 reps

Rope Pressdown and Skull Crushers 3 sets, 5-7 reps

Thick Bar Barbell Shoulder Press 135 3 sets 5 reps

Facepulls 3 sets of 10

***Notes***
Felt pretty good for doing floor presses for the first time, was a bit nervous about dropping the weights as I don't have a spotter. I am getting pretty damn hungry to do this meet and have competition once again.

mdpwrlifter

Awards
As long as your planning around it you'll be good, shows your will as well!
Today was a special exception, I had to help out a good friend who had a plumbing disaster haha. Believe me, I HATE missing lifting days, but I will make it up somehow! I love to train way too much to give up.

mdpwrlifter

Awards
Great workout, dynamic upper body. Will post happenings later!

mdpwrlifter

Awards
Dynamic Effort Upper Body 8/15/2011

Speed Work 50% BB Bench 135lbs 10 sets 2 reps, each set under 3 seconds, 3 types of grips

Flat Bench DB Press 45's 3x25

Dips and Rope Pressdown, 60 reps total

Reverse Pec Dec Fly 2x10

DB Side Raises 25's 2x8-10

Reverse Bench Rows 90lb EZ Bar 3x10

***Notes***
Went very well, the speed work definitely needs improvement and focus, bench is probably my weakest exercise. Otherwise, I tried reverse bench rows for the first time, they seemed pretty decent. I like facepulls just as much. Diet was on point today with plenty of protein and cals. Hopefully if I am indeed gaining weight, I do not gain too much for February or August '12 comps that I plan on competing in..

mdpwrlifter

Awards
Pretty solid lower body day today, will post later!

mdpwrlifter

Awards
Max Effort Lower Body 8/16/2011

Max Effort Lower Body

Max Effort Movement-Good morning squat variation 185 3 sets of 3

Lying Leg Curl 4x5 reps

Pullthroughs 3x8 reps

Dumbbell Rows 125lb dumbbell 3x5-7

Hammer Curls 3x8-10

***Notes***
The good mornings went ok but seemed pretty foreign to me. I don't have a decent bar for good mornings so I just decided to incorporate it into the squat.The rest is pretty self explanatory. Going to start doing some heavy singles here soon to test my numbers, and also do a decent weigh in on the scale. Please comment and chat! I need some words!

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
If GMs are foreign, use bands for reps just to get use to the movement.

Or

Place a safety bar where you're bent over ( right before you come up in the exercise ) and just do them that way. Like a suspended goodmorning.

My best GM was 265 x 5 x 5. Haven't done them in about a year and just did the suspended version and banged out 275 x 3 x 6 after ME squat session. So far I say it's a good lift

mdpwrlifter

Awards
Thanks man that's a good idea I'll try that out. Were my numbers that weak? =\

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
whats yoru 1RM squat? i think your good morning should be like 60% or more of it

mdpwrlifter

Awards
Well, last time I did it was around 315 or so as a pr.

mdpwrlifter

Awards
Thanks man. I think out of the three the squat is my favorite

mdpwrlifter

Awards
Max Effort Upper Body 8/18/2011 and Dynamic Effort Lower Body 8/20/2011

Max Effort Upper Body (Sorry no fancy lettering it gets to be a pain after a while!)

Floor Press, Work up to max, 185x5 225x1 225x1 (failed)

Rope Pressdown and Skull crushers 60 reps total, sets of 10-15

Dumbbell Press 55lb's 3x5-7

Reverse Bench Rows with EZ Bar 3x10-12

***Notes***
Good workout, little pissed off at the fail on the last set, but I was weary of not having a spotter. Otherwise, I am pretty ok with my numbers. Still wanting to increase as always!

Dynamic Effort Lower

Olympic Style Squats 185 w/ light bands 7x2

Leg Press 245 3x15-20 (Lactic Acid Training)

GHR type machine (not Sure) 3x5-7 w/ 25lb plate

Shrugs 315lb 3x8-10

Barbell Curls 95lbx2x6 65lbx8

Ab Work

***Notes***
Great workout, the Olympic squats were awesome and really hit everything hard hopefully. Going to adjust my stance and hopefully develop better overall squat strength.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
quick question...

whyd you do 185 x 5

and

why did you attempt 225 again?

mdpwrlifter

Awards
That was a test weight since I'd never done floor press. And I attempted becatae my form wasn't perfect