5/3/1 Hypertrophy Template log - from bodybuilding to functional strength training

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
5-3-1 Hypertrophy template log - Strength Training with a focus on Hypertrophy and Conditioning (basically, recomp while gaining strength)

I changed the title. Not going with Big But Boring, but instead doing the Hypertrophy template modified to my own needs and available equipment.

So this is my first ever log I've done anywhere... Figured since I've gotten more serious lately I may as well log everything to keep myself motivated and share as I go. Going to keep this as detailed as I can.

I've gotta say first, I'm a fairly big guy, but my lifts aren't as strong as I'd like them to be, and I'm not as conditioned as I'd like to be. That's why I'm doing 5/3/1 after 1 month of intense SS (Ripptoes program), but adding in high volume assistance work and some cardio/conditioning work, ramped up over time. I'll be trying to keep the conditioning interesting and switch between aerobic and anaerobic. Fasted morning sprint work when I can, and heavy prowler sprints after workouts depending on how much gas is in the tank. Usually I won't use the 'no gas in the tank' excuse though, and just push myself.

Previous & Current Sports (before lifting, etc)

So just a little background here. Always been really competitive, born into a competitive sports family (on both sides), so I've always been taught to push as far as I can from an early age.

Ski Racing (come from an olympic family, 2 relatives were placed in top 5 in GS, one is gold medal winner)
Snowboarding - been doing it since I was 13, basically - when it first started, I raced, coached, but stuck to mainly freestyle/park riding. This was and still is my passion.
Skateboarding - haven't in ages, used to for years into college
Football - played in Junior High but it was banned at my HS =( thus, the end of this
Hockey - daily road hockey in the winter growing up, grandfather is a Stanley cup winner x2
Basketball - stopped in HS for some reason, my big bro is a college bball coach, I coulda had a great chance here I guess, but my heart wasn't into it.
Tennis - have played for years, since I was a kid, still play now
Golf - once in a while

Stats:

Height: 6'2"
Weight: 235 pnds
BF%: 16-18%

Longterm Goals:

220 pnds
10% BF or less
Strong as f^ck
Conditioned like whoa

Been lifting on and off for 5 years now, but never kept up with my strength work. Did a lot of variation and volume, and a lot of HST training, but not very strict to the program. In fact, I never really followed any specific program until recently, now it's time to get serious and cause some real damage.

Current Supps:

Millenium Sports Technologies

MVP/ZMK
Athlytes
Cordygen Ultra V02
RPG

-
Nutraplanet NA-RALA
Grapeseed extract
Xtend
Animal Flex (probably the most cost efficient broad-range joint supplement I could find)
Isopure whey
Avant Sports SuperCarb
TD Magnesium Oil
-

Extras / General Health:

Jarrow SAMe (800mg daily)
Methyl-folate (800mcg daily)
Vitamin D (24000iu / 12000iu daily - raising my levels currently then switching to 12000iu)
Zinc Picolinate (as needed)
P5P - (50mg daily)

I'll revisit this later in case I'm missing anything.

Yesterday was my first day of 5-3-1. Will post up my log and plan later and am always looking for feedback. Still trying to figure out the best assistance lifts, but this will likely change overtime. Keep in mind, I'm starting lighter on my lifts - to address any weaknesses and just following Wendler's advice. Some of the assistance lifts that I'm choosing are new to me too... so the ego has been left at the door on this log. This will be all about motivation and progression, while focusing on functional strength and keeping some size while working on weak points in my physique. Sounds like a lot, cos it is lol.. but those are my goals.

BTW: I train at a gym that uses only free weights. Barbells, kettlebells, dumbbells, prowler, sled, tires, bands, chains - and the best thing - PLENTY OF CHALK. All oldschool here. All barbell work is with bumper plates, so training till failure ain't no big thang here. The gym is made for lifting some heavy ass weight. Most assistance lifts will be compound moves. Rarely any isolation, but maaybe one or two per session if I feel I need it.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Posting my template and first two logged days tomorrow. Freakin beat and have a big project due tomorrow.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
whats your current lifts at?

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
My 1 Rep Maxes:

Squat: 400
Deadlift: 410
Bench: maybe 250 - SUCKS!! - chest is my weak spot, I always used to lift for volume on chest otherwise it just blows up my delts
OH Press: 150 (this is very low because my form has been wrong in the past. I was pressing too far forward and able to do 225 easily for reps, seated though. I'm focusing on strict OH press form as in the image below. PS this isn't me in the pic)

Posting my logs soon for Day 1 and Day 2, but will post up the routine first. I've been so busy this week so it's been tough to get it all up online. I'm working out 3-days a week, so day 1 was OH Press as my 5/3/1 and Day 2 was deads for 5/5/5...and it killed.. I'm going to start hating the 5-rep day.

So far my top 200m Prowler push (on the high bars) is over 600 pounds.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The Master Template!!

Week 1

Wave 1 - Warmup, 65% x 5, 75% x 5, 85% x 5+

Monday

OH Press - 3x5

Assistance Lifts:

Rear Delt DB Flies (seated) - just a couple light sets during warm ups before OH press
Dips - 4x8 (neglected these in the past, need to work my way up, I'm heavy and my tri's/elbows are a lil weak atm, these will not be weighted)
Barbell Upright Row - 4x10
Bent over BB row (to the neck - like a facepull) - 4x10
Behind the Back Barbell Shrugs - 4 x 8 (note: hold at the top for 5 seconds)

Conditioning:

Prowler sprints (medium weighted)

--------------------------------------------

Wednesday

Deadlift -3x5

Assistance Lifts:

BB Rows - 4x10 this will depend on the condition of my lower back after deads
Chins - 4x10 or whatever I can do (hopefully I will get some strength gains here, I suck at chins and pullups, combination of my weight and having never really done these before)
Good Mornings - 4x10 (these are new to me - I hope my lower back can take it after heavy deads)
Hanging Leg Raises - 4x15

--------------------------------------------

Friday

Bench - 3x5

Assistance Lifts:

Incline Bench - 4x10
(my gym doesn't have an incline bench, so I will try to improvise by using some bumper plates to jack up one end of the bench)
Dips - 4x8
DB Bench Press - 4x10
DB Flies - 4x10
Pushups (with chains) -
as a finisher maybe, this is new to me

Conditioning:

Prowler sprints (heavy weighted - 600+ pounds)
Prowler pushes (medium weighted - 320-360 pounds - sprint 100m into a push/release)

-----------------------------------------

Week 2

Monday

Squat - 3x5

Assistance Lifts:

Front Squat - 4x10
GHR - 4x10
Plate Pulls/sled - ? not sure yet
Weighted Sit Ups - 4x10

Conditioning:
Prowler sprints (medium weighted - 320-360pnds)

How does this look so far for assistance lifts, etc? Looking for any and all feedback and criticism!!
I will complete the rest of the weeks/1st cycle's details and add soon. I have most of it on paper. I haven't added in details about morning cardio, or added the rest of my planned conditioning in yet, except for on the 1st OH Press day.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I can't forget this.... DIET

I will be steering towards a mostly Paleo diet, with some exceptions. I'll post more later about what I will typically be having. Maybe I can log the recipes I try and post pics too, depending how they turn out.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
24000iu of vit d?
Yes, just for a short time, then going back down to 12000iu per day for long term use. My levels are a bit low, it takes a lot to raise them. The FDA's recommended daily intake is not nearly enough, and 24000iu per day is not at the toxic level. I've edited the post to clear it up.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
if i could... id like to make a couple suggestions.

start your week with the BP not the OHP. i suggesting this cuz you use your shoulders and back lots when youre benching. Another reason Im suggesting this is because youre doing a lot of back and rowing movements on OHP day, itll prolly effect your bench sooner or later. Got a lot of overlaping assistance stuff as well, dips 4x8 twice a week? id either do a heavy dip day liek 3 x 5-8 and another of 5 x 10-15 if you wanna keep it like that.

Like DL day... you may wanna swap out BB rows for just DB rows and put them behind pullups. Im usually pretty tired after DLing and doing heavy bb rows is prolly the last thing i want to do next. I usually do some type of leg press after squatting as well or 2x8 box squats if im hell bent on squatting after a main lift. maybe you'll be fine but this jus from my experience with this.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
LOG ENTRY 1 - 06/20/11

Monday

Started off with mobility work. My traps are tight and I have an old injury from snowboarding in my left (forward) shoulder. It doesn't necessarily cause pain as it's not a recurring injury, but the shoulder is crunchy. Arm rotations and PVC pipe stretching.

OH PRESS

Warmup -
Rear delt flies (sitting) - 15 pounds x 12 x 2
OH Press - bar x 15 x 2

Keeping things light, focusing on form - proper Overhead press form is new to me.

5x65
5x85
5x105

*notes: eeeeeeeeeeeasy

Dips

10 x bodyweight (235)
8 x bodyweight (235)
6 x BW (235)
5 x BW (235)

BB Upright Row

Keeping things light again until I can assess how much assistance I can do
10 x 65
10 x 65
10 x 65
10 x 65

Bent Over Barbell Rows (* bar to the neck - focusing on upper back / traps / rear delts)

10 x 65
10 x 65
10 x 65
10 x 65

Behind the Back Barbell Shrugs

10 x 135 (holding at top for 5 secs)

Conditioning / finishing

Prowler (total weight = 345 pounds) X 200m sprint (*notes - LIGHTWEIGHT - felt easy)
4-5min break
Prowler (total weight = 445 pounds) x 200m sprint

DONE

------------------------

overall notes* LOTS of volume today. Seemed like an easy workout. We'll see how I feel in the next days though lol

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
if i could... id like to make a couple suggestions.

start your week with the BP not the OHP. i suggesting this cuz you use your shoulders and back lots when youre benching. Another reason Im suggesting this is because youre doing a lot of back and rowing movements on OHP day, itll prolly effect your bench sooner or later. Got a lot of overlaping assistance stuff as well, dips 4x8 twice a week? id either do a heavy dip day liek 3 x 5-8 and another of 5 x 10-15 if you wanna keep it like that.

Like DL day... you may wanna swap out BB rows for just DB rows and put them behind pullups. Im usually pretty tired after DLing and doing heavy bb rows is prolly the last thing i want to do next. I usually do some type of leg press after squatting as well or 2x8 box squats if im hell bent on squatting after a main lift. maybe you'll be fine but this jus from my experience with this.

Thanks for the feedback.

I will try to switch things up (order wise) after my first deload, since I've already started.

I'm not doing weighted dips, can't do them, so it's not toooo bad doing dips twice per week I think. I am only doing this because I am on a 3-day program and not benching every week at times. I am also not doing any isolate tricep exercises. I bench on Friday this week and my chest/tris feel great, gtg.

I think I need to get rid of BB rows on DL day because of my lower back. I think it's too much strain. Good observation, I will def switch this out. I am about to enter my DL log, you'll see I had to do light BB rows, my lower back was huuuurtin. But I just tightened up the belt and was gtg.

I have no machines in my gym, so maybe I'll add box squats. You think that should go in on DL day? Also keep in mind I'll be firing up the Prowler a lot, so I'm getting a lot of leg work in.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the feedback.

I will try to switch things up (order wise) after my first deload, since I've already started.

I'm not doing weighted dips, can't do them, so it's not toooo bad doing dips twice per week I think. I am only doing this because I am on a 3-day program and not benching every week at times. I am also not doing any isolate tricep exercises. I bench on Friday this week and my chest/tris feel great, gtg.

I think I need to get rid of BB rows on DL day because of my lower back. I think it's too much strain. Good observation, I will def switch this out. I am about to enter my DL log, you'll see I had to do light BB rows, my lower back was huuuurtin.

I have no machines in my gym, so maybe I'll add box squats. You think that should go in on DL day? Also keep in mind I'll be firing up the Prowler a lot, so I'm getting a lot of leg work in.
yeah i could barely rep 225 x 5 after DLing lol. i was just dead. if you got seated row or cable row itd work if you still want to

I was doing west side and after my ME lower body movement, i just did box sq 2x8 afterwards while being able to do at least 2+ more each set. just cuz i want exactly squatting much (2 DLs and 2 SQ variations)

yeah spose play around w the volume and crap. dont wanna piss pound your back / lats prior to benching. thats all i was concenred about

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
LOG ENTRY 2 - 06/22/11

Wednesday

Today is going to SUCK. I slept 4 hours the previous 2 nights and had a CRAZY week at work. But f^ck it I'm going to give it what I've got and more...

Loaded up 6 scoops of Xtend and 3-4 scoops of SuperCarb into 3 liters of water, started sipping preworkout. No Caffeine preworkout, cutting back on stims in a big way. TOTALLY forgot to take my ATHLYTES and ULTRA VO2 caps..... totally wasn't thinking before hitting the gym, was in a rush.

Just got my new pair of black INOV8 F-Lite 230's in. Great all around shoe, flat bottom, ultra light and super breathable. Going to love running in these, and should be good for DL's. Trying them out today. Also, the grip is a bit better on these than the others, so it should be good with the prowler.Started with some leg / back stretching and foam roller

Deadlift

warmup with 10 x 135 then threw the belt on

5x235
5x270
5x310 New 5 rep PR!!!! Did them clean!

*note:
lower back is feelin a lil rough, took a bit of a break and did some stretching over a bench.

BB Rows (was going to skip this and do DB or Kettlebell Rows, but instead I tightened up the belt a notch and went for it light)

10x115
10x115
10x115
10x115

Chins
(feeling dead here)

5 x BW (235)
4 x BW (235)
4 x BW (235)
3 x BW (235)

DONE

---------------------------

*Notes: feeling drained, but I hit a PR today so I'm happy
Went home and ate ate ate, but clean. Washed down my meal with 2 scoops of MST's RPG in water. TASTEY!!
Even though I was so drained, had MORE work to do for the office. I stayed up till 3:30 AM while sipping Xtend - was TOTALLY hungry like whoa but stopped myself from pigging out - trying to recomp here, took some MST ZMK, and hit the sheets for a grand 4 HOURS of sleep for the 3RD night in a row. Thank God this is the only week of this business, project finished today.

*Extra Notes: My traps are on FIRE... May have overdone them slightly on Monday. Oh well, more BCAA's and clean food to the rescue.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
yeah i could barely rep 225 x 5 after DLing lol. i was just dead. if you got seated row or cable row itd work if you still want to

I was doing west side and after my ME lower body movement, i just did box sq 2x8 afterwards while being able to do at least 2+ more each set. just cuz i want exactly squatting much (2 DLs and 2 SQ variations)

yeah spose play around w the volume and crap. dont wanna piss pound your back / lats prior to benching. thats all i was concenred about

No machines at the gym, so will have to do DB rows. I'm trying to get a special bar to do rows while laying down on a bench, not sure what it's called, but I think it'd work well. It's the one that goes straight across and then dips into a U shape, so you can pull high. A normal flatbar may still work fine though.

Have to figure out what else I can do on DL day. Yesterday was just too plain brutal from lack of sleep.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Whats Athlytes? Why do you use RPG and xtend? also where do you find super carb?!?!?!?!?!
Also for assistance lifts.
Oh Press, Could use some pull-ups between your oh press sets, Jim says to do 2 pulling reps for every pushing rep. So 2-3 reps per oh press lift adds some nice volume without hurting your lifts. If your gonna do rows on deadlift day. Do Incline chest supported db rows or inverted rows to take the lower back out, do pull-ups/chins before the rows too. Id add some type of unilateral movement on squat day, lunges/bulgarian split squats. I split the days up in an upper lower fashion. Bench and Press are upper days, and Squat and Deadlift are lower days.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the feedback! That's what I'm looking for! I'll be taking another look at the assistance lifts again tonight / this weekend and re-program.

http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/millennium-sport-technologies/athlytes-atp-100-caps.html

ATHLYTESATP_large.JPEG

I had a stockpile of SuperCarb!!!!!!! I'm using my last full tub now. Does anyone make this stuff anymore? And what ever happened to Avant Research? I must've been out of the loop for a bit..

I have a huge 90 serving container of Xtend left, so I'm trying to use it up. I'm using Xtend throughout the day and also while working out. Using the RPG only post workout now, and on my offdays. Once the Xtend has ran out, it's 100% RPG baby!! LOVE THE STUFF!!!!!

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Some of the powerlifters at my gym had told me I could switch from starting strength to 5/3/1 to avoid walking around sore all the time. (I did 1 month of starting strength, raising my weight by more than 5-10 pounds each week. My squat went up 100 pounds in a month, basically because I had taken a break from the gym/squats for a while, and in the past I always did volume on my legs, never tried to see how much weight I could squat).

Well, I'm convinced they said this to me because they are following the 5/3/1 Powerlifting program, and sometimes skip their assistance, or do it very differently than this. I'm hurtin here worse than when I was doing Ripptoe's Starting Strength lol... but in a good way (not injured). Means I'm doing it right.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Im always hurting, well actually not really. For one I believe your assistence work is a lil high. Over time ive learned too: 1) Pick your battles, dont try to PR every workouts last set. I usually pick two days per wave and push those. So for me its usually bench and dead/press. 2) Make deals with urself once in awhile, so lets say you have a 350x5+ on deads, you say, "If i get 10 reps, itll be huge PR for me, and ill just leave after that". You already planned a PR, but now your gonna push extra hard bc its all you gotta do that day. 3) I like to keep my volume highest on the 5s week after the deload and decrease volume as the waves go, so wave B itll be medium volume, and wave c, bare min volume and assistence lifts. 4) Foam roll and stretch daily... 5) Also try making a list of the top two assistance lifts for each core lift. So lets say you learn your oh press really improves with dips and chins as assistance lifts. So you make sure they are on oh press day. Squats and unilateral work and lower back/ham work. So you have lunges/bulgarian split squats and hypers/ghrs on squat day. Deadlift is lower back/ham work, upper back work, and quad work. Well you pick goodmornings and lunges/bulgarian split squats. Then for bench, lets say your weak in the bottom so db presses and dead presses help and rows for back work. So you have db presses/dead presses and rows on bench day, now you see you have rows and chins in the week so deads dont need MORE upper back work on that day. Then you just layout out as:
Day 1
Bench
DB Presses
Rows
(Tris/Upper back work)

Day 2
Squat
Lunges
Hypers
Core Work

Day 3
Press
Dips
Chins
(Tris/Upper back work)

Day 4
Deadlifts
Goodmornings
Bulgarian Split Squats
Core Work.

this is how I go about picking my assistance work, and is an example. Btw if you want to learn more. Buy the 5/3/1 for powerlifting book. Its really good.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Thanks, great info. I have the book, I just need to read it more haha. I switched pretty quickly because I couldn't continue with Starting Strength anymore. It was wrecking my forearm/elbow. I had an ongoing injury there and was using the lacrosse ball daily. I have to input my week 2,3,4 above still (tonight), so I have the general template down and understood... but you're right - I need to read the manual more especially where it comes to choosing assistance moves.

My bench is weakest at the top, and typically heavy heavy bench hurts my left elbow. I usually never get hung up at the bottom. Should I do some assistance bench work with chains? And maybe add in some floor press?

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Jm Presses, Heavy Dips, Tricep Work, Floor Press/Lockouts come to mind. Id have someone check your form when you go heavy and make sure your elbows are even when you tuck, and keep wrists straight, and keep bar path in line with forearms ect. Your already doing dips so thats covered. Id add some Jm Presses and Band Pushdowns to your templates. If your want you can do floor press or some chain work on bench as your first assistence lift after bench 5/3/1. Also you have use bands for pullaparts and face pulls for upper back work.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Which 5/3/1 book do you have? There is 5/3/1 and 5/3/1 for powerlifting. Two diff books.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Ahhh I didn't realize that. I'll pick up the 2nd book, I have the 1st.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
Thanks, great info. I have the book, I just need to read it more haha. I switched pretty quickly because I couldn't continue with Starting Strength anymore. It was wrecking my forearm/elbow. I had an ongoing injury there and was using the lacrosse ball daily. I have to input my week 2,3,4 above still (tonight), so I have the general template down and understood... but you're right - I need to read the manual more especially where it comes to choosing assistance moves.

My bench is weakest at the top, and typically heavy heavy bench hurts my left elbow. I usually never get hung up at the bottom. Should I do some assistance bench work with chains? And maybe add in some floor press?
get some blue heat and aspirin for your elbows, works wonders. Make sure you're tucking your elbows as well.

if anything, id add in floor press / more tricep exercises. You could add in bands or chains but than you're gonna be pressing an awful lot. I prolly wouldnt. could do various board presses or set the pins in the power rack and do lock outs

Bnatural

Bnatural

AX Product Specialist
Awards
  • Established
get some blue heat and aspirin for your elbows, works wonders. Make sure you're tucking your elbows as well.

if anything, id add in floor press / more tricep exercises. You could add in bands or chains but than you're gonna be pressing an awful lot. I prolly wouldnt. could do various board presses or set the pins in the power rack and do lock outs
you could do weighted dips as well

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I've rarely done dips in the past.... what a big mistake, because it's a great exercise and needed. I can barely do my own bodyweight for 10 reps (235 pnds). After my first set of 10, the reps always go down for me, 8, 6, 5, and such.

Tonight is Bench for 5's + assistance. Feeling extremely wiped out from the week though, but I'll gather up enough to do it right, eat a ton after the workout, and sleep real long. Going to brainstorm on some assistance moves this afternoon and post later. I think I need to press a lot, I need to build up my chest, especially upper chest thickness. Even though I am training for strength, I still want a balanced look, this the higher volume assistance stuff where I need it.

Btw, I'm following the order that was in Wendler's book, but the comment in here about switching up bench night so it doesn't come after deads, is spot on. My lats are still sore. We'll see how it goes tonight.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
you could do weighted dips as well
i mentioned that early because he was going to be doing dips 2x a week
I've rarely done dips in the past.... what a big mistake, because it's a great exercise and needed. I can barely do my own bodyweight for 10 reps (235 pnds). After my first set of 10, the reps always go down for me, 8, 6, 5, and such.

Tonight is Bench for 5's + assistance. Feeling extremely wiped out from the week though, but I'll gather up enough to do it right, eat a ton after the workout, and sleep real long. Going to brainstorm on some assistance moves this afternoon and post later. I think I need to press a lot, I need to build up my chest, especially upper chest thickness. Even though I am training for strength, I still want a balanced look, this the higher volume assistance stuff where I need it.

Btw, I'm following the order that was in Wendler's book, but the comment in here about switching up bench night so it doesn't come after deads, is spot on. My lats are still sore. We'll see how it goes tonight.
the order is prolly fine but just gauge it by if youre sore or not, that is all i was concerned about. i mean if youre making progress and its not effecting your bench, by all means keep it the same :)

EFS has lotta good exercsies and articles to read bout accesory lifts. id stop out there and also check a lot of other PLing journals.

eat a good meal an hour or two before as well, i cant lift on fumes.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Cool will do. I will get the owner / head coach of the gym to show me some stuff too. He's pretty badass, Ripptoe's called on him on several occasions to speak at seminars. I'm pretty lucky to be training at this place.

I can't lift on fumes either. I eat 2 hrs prior, then some protein 1 hr prior, then BCAAs and SuperCarb during. I like to train really intensely, and time my rest periods between sets. I forgot to mention in my template, I am taking a strict 30sec between each assistance set. Makes a huge difference lol

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
Cool will do. I will get the owner / head coach of the gym to show me some stuff too. He's pretty badass, Ripptoe's called on him on several occasions to speak at seminars. I'm pretty lucky to be training at this place.

I can't lift on fumes either. I eat 2 hrs prior, then some protein 1 hr prior, then BCAAs and SuperCarb during. I like to train really intensely, and time my rest periods between sets. I forgot to mention in my template, I am taking a strict 30sec between each assistance set. Makes a huge difference lol
thats sweet! wish there was a gym like that around my area or someone with a lot of experience ; /

youre doing same thing as me pre workout lol. i likes it too.

i usually take about a minute or a little longer, just long enough to catch my breathe. 30 secs would be a killer tho

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I am usually drenched in sweat from head to toe by the end of my workouts lol.. that's where MST's Athlytes come into play.

I also drink about 3 liters while I'm there. People must think I'm nuts, they're all casual between lifts. But the effort will pay off in conditioning and fat loss. The gym's not a place to be casual imo hehe

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Going to post my log from tonight soon. Just got home but still recovering here.. All that lack of sleep from the past week really caught up with me now.

So tonight I learned my 1 rep max on bench was way off. Should be higher. My last and heaviest set of 5's I did 11 reps till failure, assisted on the last rep. Going to have to figure out my proper 1 rep max.

Also had the head coach with me tonight. My main issue on bench is due to my lack of range of motion in my shoulders. They're too tight... He wants to start me on mobility work soon. I'm pressing too much with my delts at the top and not locking out properly. He saw this while I was doing floor presses... was super tough for me to keep my shoulders down and back/pinched in this position while locking out. This kinda made sense to me, due to how out of proportion in size my delts are to my chest. I have pretty huge shoulders. Chest is lacking, but back is big and strong..strong enough to support a good bench, so I've really gotta work on my shoulder mobility. Will post more later.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Looks good in here! If your find more supercarb and or palantinose let me know! Ive wanted to run bcaa+supercarb for some time now during training. I usually just eat 2 hrs prior and bcaa during for now.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
So is Avant no longer a company? What ever happened to Napalm? Anything similar out there now? I used to have eviscerate, but RPN is down now too.

Getting last night's log up. Slow moving today...body is recovering from a tough training week and 3 hours sleep per night. That's one thing you'll notice in this log. No matter how busy I get, I'll keep training even if I can't get enough sleep. No excuses. Even if I get delirious lol. I couldn't speak very well after last night's workout haha. May have had something to do with the prowler.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Friday 06/24/11

Working off of 4 nights of 3 hrs sleep per night...pretty rough

BENCH 65/75/85 % of 1RM x90%

Based off my estimated 250 1RM, I did the following lifts, but it was far too easy. I need to bump the #'s up. Looking for help here on how much I should, based on the #'s

warm up - bar x 20 reps

5x145
5x170
11x190

super easy. #'s are too low.

Floor Press

10x135
7x155
155 pounds, hold up in lockout for 30+ seconds, aim is to push shoulders back into the floor... was reeeeeallly tight. Had problems.
155 pounds, hold in lockout for 30+ seconds

Coach told me it seems my shoulders are really tight. They're not pushing back far enough and I'm getting shoulder separation. I need to work on mobility, in a big way. Looking for good mobility exercises I can do at home. I have PVC pipe at the gym that I use. I also do shoulder rotations, but it's not enough.

DIPS

bodyweight (235) x 8
BW (235) x 5

DB Bench Press

10 x 50 pounds (30 sec break)
10x50 (1min break)
7x50

Prowler (on cement floor)

250 pounds (prowler weighs 70 pnds, plus 4 plates (45s) loaded on, 2 per side.
Sprint 100ft, turn around sprint back. Just a lil warm up.

Loaded on 4 more plates. Total 430 pounds.
Sprint 100ft (well it was a slow start) into a push off at the end... got it about 7-8 ft from release.
Turn around and repeat.

Done

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Can post or link pics of what your doing with your shoulders and what your suppose to do. Im curious.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Well I haven't been given anything just yet to do.. but there's a couple things I've been doing once in a while. I need to step it up

Grab a long piece of PVC pipe, with a wide grip, holding it in front of you.
-begin to raise it up over your head, into an OH press position, pushing your head through like it was going through a window.. hold it and feel it stretch
- slowly keep pulling the pipe back, feeling it stretch, until it's all the way behind your back
- reverse the motion
- repeat

I also do some DC stretches, with a barbell set up high in the rack. I grab it behind my back and lean forward till I feel a major stretch. Alternating underhand and overhand grip.

I'll look for some pics/video

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
Are you grabbing the bar and pretending you're gonna snap it in half? When I set up to bench before I take the bar off the rack, I'm completely tight and set

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yes, I'm always set, pinching my shoulder blades back, but during the lockout I get shoulder separation

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Skipped today's workout due to work and only 2 hrs sleep last night. Talk about crazy times...I should be sleeping or comatose by now. No idea how I do it with only 2 cups of coffee per day.

It's Squat day too...I'm pissed, my fav day. Going to make up for it Wednesday and then put an extra day in on the weekend to get back on track.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I need some opinions today...

So I missed Monday (squats) due to 2 hrs sleep the night before. Should I catch up today and do Squats + Press?

If so, I'm going to have to load up on my BCAAs, EAA's + supercarb for the workout and it would look something like this:

Squat (5/5/5+)
Front Squats
Bulgarian split squats
GHR
Plate/sled pull

Press (3/3/3+)
Assistance lifts similar to last week minus BB shrugs, too much trap work last week
Basically:
DIPS
BB upright row
BB bent over row (to the neck)
Rear flies (seated)

Volume on assistance for Squats needs to be sorted out today before I go.

This look ok to do? Or too much? Maybe I can split the workout with a 20min break to eat something / rehydrate, etc

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
I need some opinions today...

So I missed Monday (squats) due to 2 hrs sleep the night before. Should I catch up today and do Squats + Press?

If so, I'm going to have to load up on my BCAAs, EAA's + supercarb for the workout and it would look something like this:

Squat (5/5/5+)
Front Squats
Bulgarian split squats
GHR
Plate/sled pull

Press (3/3/3+)
Assistance lifts similar to last week minus BB shrugs, too much trap work last week
Basically:
DIPS
BB upright row
BB bent over row (to the neck)
Rear flies (seated)

Volume on assistance for Squats needs to be sorted out today before I go.

This look ok to do? Or too much? Maybe I can split the workout with a 20min break to eat something / rehydrate, etc
just pick up where you left off. you missed squats you said so do those today.

id prolly opt for a leg press vs a front squat after you just got done squatting. just my opinion, your back may be a little sore.

i always do 3x8 for GHR

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
We don't have any machines at the gym, it's all old school. I have power racks + BB's, DB's and KB's / chains / bands / sled + prowler, Rogue boxes, bars (for chins n pullups), ropes (for climbing), heavy bag + GHR machine is the only piece of equipment.

Any other alternative for legs besides press? How about higher volume front squat at a lower weight?

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
We don't have any machines at the gym, it's all old school. I have power racks + BB's, DB's and KB's / chains / bands / sled + prowler, Rogue boxes, bars (for chins n pullups), ropes (for climbing), heavy bag + GHR machine is the only piece of equipment.

Any other alternative for legs besides press? How about higher volume front squat at a lower weight?
oh thatd be a problem than haha

yeah give that a whirl, higher volume n such. wish my gym had chains, ive been debating on bringing my own homemade creation grrrr

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
We also have copious amounts of chalk at each power rack. I love the place..

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Id either pick up where you left off or cut the volume in half for each and combine them.
Btw im sure you would get plenty of volume if you did
Squats
Split squats 5x10-20
GHR 5x10-20
Core 5x10-20

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Thanks, I may combine them and cut the volume just on the delts, but that looks good for legs. If I do that, I'm going to finish off legs with the prowler and then sled pull for calves.

I don't need to do much for my delts to grow. They are by far the largest muscle group on me (proportionally speaking), and I usually never directly train them, so I could easily cut the volume down.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
What are your weaknesses, both from a physique stand point and a lift stand point? Maybe we can help balance out your routine a lil more?

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Chest and bench are lacking.

I have a large back + delts. My arms can blow up when I do isolation work on them and heavy presses. Forearms are somewhat lacking a bit, but that's mainly because I'm tall / long limbs. I can bench heavy if I put delts into play, but that means form suffers.

Other than getting my bench up and chest larger (fuller in upper chest too), I need to get visible abs... thats' diet based though. I also need to work on mobility. I work at a desk all day long.

So fat wise, I am fairly lean except that I seem to have the most problem with mid-section Visceral fat (organ fat) aka stomache bloat.I see veins in my delts and biceps, no chest fat. No real love handles, but problem with visceral fat. I am thinking, CKD or full Paleo diet to blast that away. I am transitioning to Paleo now, and it would be nice if I can stick to it. The main problem I am struggling with Paleo, is getting enough cals in. It's a really clean diet.

On a side note, I missed my session last night too. That's twice this week. I lost my iPhone and went on a rampage looking everywhere for it. I just replaced it today and chalked it up to a loss. I'm hitting a different gym today and combining Squat (5/5/5) and Press (3/3/3) plus my assistance for both, then tomorrow will be Deads and I will be all caught up and back on plan. I hope this gym has a belt, or else I am screwed for squats tonight.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Need to buy your own belt one day lol.
Ok well what are your weak points for each lift? Lockout on bench you said. What about squat, dead, and press?
Body fat will come down with diet, its not something paleo or ckd will fix. But with paleo you get the benfits of an alkaline based diet, which im trying to move towards myself.
Id say switch your routine to an upper/lower
Bench and press will be upper and squat and dead will be lower.
Then pick lifts for your weak points.
So an incline press for bench, dips for press since you need upper chest work and lockout work, plus another tricep lift at the end of the session.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Going to log my session from last night soon, luckily they had a belt at this other gym. I did Squats and Press last night.

I want to stick to 5/3/1, you think I should move Bench and Press to the same day and Squat/Deads to the same day? Wouldn't that be killer on the lower back when going heavy? I think it may work though, I recover quickly.

Btw, I've done both the Paleo and CKD diets. I am carb sensitive, so they help. Also, you would need to eat a hell of a lot of food to gain on either diets, that's why it's easier to cut/recomp on them - not to mention the increase in insulin sensitivity. I never recomp on 40/40/20 p/c/f, that's how I bulk. CKD is by far my favorite for recomping. I should also mention I am on HRT, so the bloat could be from hydrocortisone / test. I am E2 sensitive as well, and cortisone is notorious for bloating too.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I wouldnt combine them.
Just do
Press-upper
off
Deads-lower
off
Bench-upper
off
off
Squat-Lower
repeat

Get your endo to give something for the e2?