Performance Split... Time for something new

  1. New Member
    joelast's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    25
    Posts
    195
    Rep Power
    193
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    8.23%

    Performance Split... Time for something new


    Haven't been active on AM for a while, have some free time in the next few months and figured I'd put up a log. I've lifted consistently for the past 5 years; always geared towards bodybuilding, obviously done some power lifting training because heavy weight is so appealing. Just ran a marathon a week and a half ago so my lifting fell of a bit training for that lesson in pain. For the next 8 weeks I'm going train aimed at mainintaing a high level of aerobic fitness and performance... gunna be alot of running with four days of strength training mixed in, trying to get stonger as well.

    Splits going to look something like this:
    • -Monday:AM: Snatch + Back (Dead's), PM: Slow 30 min run
    • -Tuesday: Track workout (400 or 800 intervals)
    • -Wednesday: AM: slow 30 min run, PM:Cleans + Legs (Squat or Front Squat)
    • -Thursday: Easy/ Recovery day - 45 min slow cardio (probablly bike)
    • -Friday: AM: Push (Chest and Shoulders), PM: 40 min Tempo run
    • -Saturday: AM: Track Workout (100's or 200's) + Plyos, PM: Probablly an arm lift because I'll get bored
    • -Sunday: Slow Long Run 90 - 120 minutes


    This will give me three big days for lifting and three good run workouts. On the slow runs I'll build up the mileage as I get into better running shape. My Big lifts are currently Bench 275 x 4, Deads 315 x 4 (always been a weakness, gunna hit them hard), squat 365 x 5. Haven't one rep maxed in over a year. These numbers are already picking up as I'm getting back into a regular lifting routine. Currently weighing 220 at 10-12 % bf, expect to lose some weight for sure. I'll be eating plenty tho and sleeping a ton. More specifics on the diet to follow.

    This split is going to put some serious strain on my body, I've never felt like I've overtrained before but this is more work than i've done before. I'll adjust this on the fly and keep the log update. Gunna be starting this split on Monday, next week will be a little busy but I should be able to get all my workouts in, after that its all buisness.

  2. New Member
    jacobcoile's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    173
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    78.97%

    Hey that's a really cool routine you got there! Good luck with you goals, man!
  3. New Member
    joelast's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    25
    Posts
    195
    Rep Power
    193
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    8.23%

    thanks man


    had to fix that Sunday info, accidentally wrote 90 -120 miles hahah

    Info about sups, diet and possibly pics later today when i have some time.
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    joelast's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    25
    Posts
    195
    Rep Power
    193
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    8.23%

    Here's some diet info. Never been real anal about calories or exact measurement of macros. I'll carefully prep my meals the first few days and once I get an idea of the nutrients and servings I'll estimate for the rest of the log.

    • 250 g protein
    • 450 g carbs
    • 90 g fat
    • total cals = 3610

    My protein sources will be mostly Whey, Chicken Breast, Steak, Egg whites and Cottage Chesse. Fats will come from olive oil, nuts, and some from the protein sources. Carbs are whole wheat bread, oats, fruit and vegetables. Once I get into a diet I'm pretty good at staying consistent and don't mind eating the same things over and over.

    I will probably bump up the cals with all the activity involved with this split, I'll just have to feel it out the first week.

    On a different note first leg lift today since December (didn't lift them at all while training for my marathon), lost a lot more strength than I though. 5 sets of squat, finished with 315 for 3... humbling experience. I'm not using a belt or straps for this program, looking to work on my grip, corp strength. Tomorrow I'll hit arms, run on Sunday, then start my new split on Monday.
  5. New Member
    joelast's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    25
    Posts
    195
    Rep Power
    193
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    8.23%

    List of supps:
    • Myoplex Whey Protein
    • Animal Pak
    • Animal Rage
    • Fish Oil
    • Vitamin C
    • BCAAs (Xtend)
    • Diesel Test Pro-Cycle
    • Beta-Alanine


    Nothing too fancy here, just some basics and the Diesel Test to jump start my lifting, taken it in the past and have liked it.

    Here's some Pics to show what I'm starting with. Not worried about How i look on this program just want to get faster and stronger. I guess I'll lean out some because there's a lot of running here, but I do plan on eating alot (probably going to bump up the diet I just posted)


  6. Advanced Member
    Steelwolf's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Age
    27
    Posts
    887
    Rep Power
    1018
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    23.18%

    AWesome to see. This is a little like mine
    ACSM-CPT
  7. New Member
    joelast's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    25
    Posts
    195
    Rep Power
    193
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    8.23%

    Just a light arm lift today to keep busy, planned on doing about 40 mins of cardio but played a few hours of racquetball instead, lot more fun and a more dynamic way to spend my time.
  8. New Member
    joelast's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    25
    Posts
    195
    Rep Power
    193
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    8.23%

    Yesterday was a rest day, got to fish from 6am to 4pm first time i've gotten to dot that this season. Going to go for a slow 3-5 mile run later tonight, first run since the marathon, my legs are finally feeling normal. Excited to start the new split off tomorrow with my Snatch + Back day.
  9. New Member
    joelast's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    25
    Posts
    195
    Rep Power
    193
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    8.23%

    Today:
    Hang Clean: 135 x5, 185x3, 185x3, 135x5 (Form was getting sloppy so I dropped the weight)
    Dead lift: 275x10, 315x5, 315x5, 315x4 (Again didn't hit the last rep b/c my form was lagging)
    WG Pullups: 8xbw, 7xbw, two more sets on the assisted machine for 10. I do my pullups with very strict form, resting for 2 secs on the bottom and making sure i get a good pinch.
    Sandbag Rows (Steelwolf Inspired) 70x12, 70x12, 100x10, 100x10
    Towel Pullups: 3 sets to failure (6-4 reps, grip was starting to give out at this point)
    Machine pulldowns for burnout set.

    I am starting to get in the groove of things, DL was stronger today that it as last week, happy with my progress but still alot of work to be done. My Grip strength was shot at the end of the workout out, awesome because this is really something I'm trying to improve. The towel pullups and sandbag Rows were great. Also a few hours after my workout I went for a 4 mile run, nice and slow, hammies were a little sore after the Deadlifts.

    I was running of four hours of sleep, I have to be up at 0430 all week and I have plenty to do before I graduate on Sat. I can keep my energy levels up during my workouts but I'm dragging the rest of the day. Overall though it was a good first day on the new split, I'm going to put some serious time in tomorrow on working on my form for the Olympic lifts and in some core/grip work.
  10. Advanced Member
    Steelwolf's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Age
    27
    Posts
    887
    Rep Power
    1018
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    23.18%

    Quote Originally Posted by joelast View Post
    Today:
    Hang Clean: 135 x5, 185x3, 185x3, 135x5 (Form was getting sloppy so I dropped the weight)
    Dead lift: 275x10, 315x5, 315x5, 315x4 (Again didn't hit the last rep b/c my form was lagging)
    WG Pullups: 8xbw, 7xbw, two more sets on the assisted machine for 10. I do my pullups with very strict form, resting for 2 secs on the bottom and making sure i get a good pinch.
    Sandbag Rows (Steelwolf Inspired) 70x12, 70x12, 100x10, 100x10
    Towel Pullups: 3 sets to failure (6-4 reps, grip was starting to give out at this point)
    Machine pulldowns for burnout set.

    I am starting to get in the groove of things, DL was stronger today that it as last week, happy with my progress but still alot of work to be done. My Grip strength was shot at the end of the workout out, awesome because this is really something I'm trying to improve. The towel pullups and sandbag Rows were great. Also a few hours after my workout I went for a 4 mile run, nice and slow, hammies were a little sore after the Deadlifts.

    I was running of four hours of sleep, I have to be up at 0430 all week and I have plenty to do before I graduate on Sat. I can keep my energy levels up during my workouts but I'm dragging the rest of the day. Overall though it was a good first day on the new split, I'm going to put some serious time in tomorrow on working on my form for the Olympic lifts and in some core/grip work.
    Sandbags are fun aren't they

    I dont have access to a chin up bar at my home gym, but I do do deadlifts with a jujitsu gi, which I think builds awesome real world power. Chin ups will do the same thing but a little more dynamic than deadlifts
    ACSM-CPT
  11. New Member
    joelast's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    25
    Posts
    195
    Rep Power
    193
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    8.23%

    Quote Originally Posted by Steelwolf View Post
    Sandbags are fun aren't they

    I dont have access to a chin up bar at my home gym, but I do do deadlifts with a jujitsu gi, which I think builds awesome real world power. Chin ups will do the same thing but a little more dynamic than deadlifts
    Yeah i just gripped the bag material instead of using any handles, toasted my hands/forearms... I will definatly be doing these again. I think next time I will do the towel pullups before any WG pullups when I'm fresher.
  12. New Member
    joelast's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    25
    Posts
    195
    Rep Power
    193
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    8.23%

    Developed a little bit of a cold yesterday, decided running intervals in the cold rain wasn't a good idea. Got an hour in on the bike and about 20 mins of core work. This cold is still bugging me a little, going to go warm up and see if I should lift today, if not I'll just push it back to tomorrow.
  13. Advanced Member
    Steelwolf's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Age
    27
    Posts
    887
    Rep Power
    1018
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    23.18%

    Quote Originally Posted by joelast View Post
    Developed a little bit of a cold yesterday, decided running intervals in the cold rain wasn't a good idea. Got an hour in on the bike and about 20 mins of core work. This cold is still bugging me a little, going to go warm up and see if I should lift today, if not I'll just push it back to tomorrow.
    With the heavy volume load of training as you are( similar to mine except I train everyday with some form of something and have been picking up daily doubles) I notice the immune system tends to take a poop and you have to be a little more careful. I guess thats the compromise. I have noticed the more your body builds to the crazy style split the more your immune system recovers. Mind is becoming pretty good now. So just get ready for a small bout of getting sick more often sadly.
    ACSM-CPT
  14. New Member
    joelast's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    25
    Posts
    195
    Rep Power
    193
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    8.23%

    Quote Originally Posted by Steelwolf View Post
    With the heavy volume load of training as you are( similar to mine except I train everyday with some form of something and have been picking up daily doubles) I notice the immune system tends to take a poop and you have to be a little more careful. I guess thats the compromise. I have noticed the more your body builds to the crazy style split the more your immune system recovers. Mind is becoming pretty good now. So just get ready for a small bout of getting sick more often sadly.
    Yeah its just a matter of getting used to it. In the past I've lifted 6-7 days a week with a few of those being doubles so I know what you're saying about the immune system drop. A big part about it was standing around in the rain for two hours doing grad stuff. Mega dosing vitamin C usually helps speed up recovery for me.

    I decided to push the lift back to tomorrow, no need to go into a lift when I'm not 100% on a four day split, I'll just have to run through some soreness. Today I had to settle for a slow 4 mile run, Finally feel like my I got my legs back.
  15. New Member
    joelast's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    25
    Posts
    195
    Rep Power
    193
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    8.23%

    Good Lift today:

    Snatch: 95x5, 115x3, 115x3, 125x2
    Front Squat: 185x7, 185x12, 225x8, 225x7
    Walking DB Lunges: 3 Sets of 10 w/ 45 lb DBs
    Walking Side Lunges: 95x8 each leg, 75x8 each leg

    DB RDL: 3 sets with 65s 12-10 reps
    Hanging Leg Raises: 3x15
    These last two were super setted.

    Real happy with my form on Snatch, good balance and explosiveness, Will try and up the weight next week. Started leaning over on my Front squats so i cut the last two sets a few reps short. DB RDL was done explosively, down in 4, hold for a second, up as fast as possible. Finished it all up with a 20 min spin on the bike as a cool down.
  16. Advanced Member
    Steelwolf's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Age
    27
    Posts
    887
    Rep Power
    1018
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    23.18%

    Quote Originally Posted by joelast View Post
    Good Lift today:

    Snatch: 95x5, 115x3, 115x3, 125x2
    Front Squat: 185x7, 185x12, 225x8, 225x7
    Walking DB Lunges: 3 Sets of 10 w/ 45 lb DBs
    Walking Side Lunges: 95x8 each leg, 75x8 each leg

    DB RDL: 3 sets with 65s 12-10 reps
    Hanging Leg Raises: 3x15
    These last two were super setted.

    Real happy with my form on Snatch, good balance and explosiveness, Will try and up the weight next week. Started leaning over on my Front squats so i cut the last two sets a few reps short. DB RDL was done explosively, down in 4, hold for a second, up as fast as possible. Finished it all up with a 20 min spin on the bike as a cool down.
    Good work on those lunges
    ACSM-CPT
  17. New Member
    joelast's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    25
    Posts
    195
    Rep Power
    193
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    8.23%

    Quote Originally Posted by Steelwolf View Post
    Good work on those lunges
    Those side lunges killed me.

    Today's Lift: Was running of one skimpy meal but the energy and focus was still pretty good. Definitely felt like I built some strength today and that's all that matters.

    Bench Press: 225x10, 255x6, 255x5, 275x3 needed a spot on the last one
    Military/ Push Press: 3 sets of 135 x 6, used progressively more explosion
    One arm DB Bench Press: 70x12, 80x10, 80x10
    Band Dips: 4x12-8
    DB pullovers: 3x8 with 80

    Band Dips are done by putting a band behind your neck and grabbing the ends in your hands, this puts a lot of extra force on the top of the movement where you're typically stronger. I've fallen in love with these. Next week I will try to incorporate more shoulders for the sake of variety.
  18. Advanced Member
    Steelwolf's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Age
    27
    Posts
    887
    Rep Power
    1018
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    23.18%

    Quote Originally Posted by joelast View Post
    Those side lunges killed me.

    Today's Lift: Was running of one skimpy meal but the energy and focus was still pretty good. Definitely felt like I built some strength today and that's all that matters.

    Bench Press: 225x10, 255x6, 255x5, 275x3 needed a spot on the last one
    Military/ Push Press: 3 sets of 135 x 6, used progressively more explosion
    One arm DB Bench Press: 70x12, 80x10, 80x10
    Band Dips: 4x12-8
    DB pullovers: 3x8 with 80

    Band Dips are done by putting a band behind your neck and grabbing the ends in your hands, this puts a lot of extra force on the top of the movement where you're typically stronger. I've fallen in love with these. Next week I will try to incorporate more shoulders for the sake of variety.
    try a move I picked up from a friend called a power push. For those that do not fight or defend using chi, but use muscle its awesome... Clean upright row a barbell up to like shoulder height and push it forward like you're pushing someone away. I was working up to 60lb dumbbells using this. It teaches you to really get that drive to push someone away as well as dig yourself into the floor so you dont't move. It is a little rough on the shoulder but it definitely will help.
    ACSM-CPT
  19. New Member
    joelast's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    25
    Posts
    195
    Rep Power
    193
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    8.23%

    Quote Originally Posted by Steelwolf View Post
    try a move I picked up from a friend called a power push. For those that do not fight or defend using chi, but use muscle its awesome... Clean upright row a barbell up to like shoulder height and push it forward like you're pushing someone away. I was working up to 60lb dumbbells using this. It teaches you to really get that drive to push someone away as well as dig yourself into the floor so you dont't move. It is a little rough on the shoulder but it definitely will help.
    Thanks for the advice, I was looking for a way to incorporate more shoulders, and that seems like a really functional movement.

    Forgot to mention I also did a 4 mile run on Friday. Yesterday was my graduation, pumped to be done with school and start to do something real. Put in a 9 mile run this morning at a steady 7:30 mile pace, feeling good. Now that I'm home my diet and rest will be on point, going to get a good week of lifts and runs in. And to top it all off the weather is getting better, life is good.
  20. New Member
    joelast's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    25
    Posts
    195
    Rep Power
    193
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    8.23%

    Today's Lift took place in my basement, limited weights but I managed to get a pretty good workout in.

    Cleans: 135x5, 135x5, 155x4, 155x4, 175x2
    Towel Deadlift:two sets of 275x12, ripped my towel, wasn't feeling the lift so i move on
    One Arm BB Row: 65x15, 75x13, 85x10, 85x9
    WG Towel Pulldown: 3 sets to failure, not sure on the weight its an old machine
    CG Towel Pulldown: 3 sets to failure
    Wide Bar French Curls: 3 sets 65 x 8-12
    One Arm DB Curls (no counter weight in the other hand): 4 drop sets from 40-25
    Rope DB curls (used a press down rope, rapped it around the DB and gripped the ball on the end... exhausted my hands): 3 sets to failure with 35 lb DB

    Mixed in a bunch of core work; Front leaning rest, side planks, sit ups, and reverse crunch things on a bench. Did this throughout the workout to keep the tempo up.
  21. New Member
    joelast's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    25
    Posts
    195
    Rep Power
    193
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    8.23%

    Yesterday I did a 40 min tempo run... beat the hell outta me

    Today: Legs, was running short on time. I'm going to move friday's lift to tomorrow and doing a heavy leg day on FRI. details to follow.
  22. Advanced Member
    Steelwolf's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Age
    27
    Posts
    887
    Rep Power
    1018
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    23.18%

    Quote Originally Posted by joelast View Post
    Today's Lift took place in my basement, limited weights but I managed to get a pretty good workout in.

    Cleans: 135x5, 135x5, 155x4, 155x4, 175x2
    Towel Deadlift:two sets of 275x12, ripped my towel, wasn't feeling the lift so i move on
    One Arm BB Row: 65x15, 75x13, 85x10, 85x9
    WG Towel Pulldown: 3 sets to failure, not sure on the weight its an old machine
    CG Towel Pulldown: 3 sets to failure
    Wide Bar French Curls: 3 sets 65 x 8-12
    One Arm DB Curls (no counter weight in the other hand): 4 drop sets from 40-25
    Rope DB curls (used a press down rope, rapped it around the DB and gripped the ball on the end... exhausted my hands): 3 sets to failure with 35 lb DB

    Mixed in a bunch of core work; Front leaning rest, side planks, sit ups, and reverse crunch things on a bench. Did this throughout the workout to keep the tempo up.
    Get a regular jujisu gi top and cut off the sleeves. A little rougher to sue than a towel, but its very very strong
    ACSM-CPT
  23. New Member
    joelast's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    25
    Posts
    195
    Rep Power
    193
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    8.23%

    Yeah I have some old ACU blouses we used to grapple so I think I'm going to try and use them.

    Today's workout:
    One Arm DB Snatch: 40x5, 50x5, 55x4, 65x2
    Overhead Squat: 95x15, 115x10, 135x7, 135x7
    One Arm DB Lunge: 65x12 (too light and this was the heaviest DB so I just grabbed a BB with one hand and balanced it) 75x12, 95x8
    DB Straight Leg DL: 3 sets 65x12.
    Finished with some ab work for about 15 mins.

    Saturday I'll do a more conventional, heavy leg lift. This was a good little sweat/ core session.
  24. Advanced Member
    Steelwolf's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Age
    27
    Posts
    887
    Rep Power
    1018
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    23.18%

    Quote Originally Posted by joelast View Post
    Yeah I have some old ACU blouses we used to grapple so I think I'm going to try and use them.

    Today's workout:
    One Arm DB Snatch: 40x5, 50x5, 55x4, 65x2
    Overhead Squat: 95x15, 115x10, 135x7, 135x7
    One Arm DB Lunge: 65x12 (too light and this was the heaviest DB so I just grabbed a BB with one hand and balanced it) 75x12, 95x8
    DB Straight Leg DL: 3 sets 65x12.
    Finished with some ab work for about 15 mins.

    Saturday I'll do a more conventional, heavy leg lift. This was a good little sweat/ core session.
    I just cut off the sleeves and use that. Just like grabbing a persons jacket.
    Straight legs with the dumbbells are interesting. I just started using them a week ago to bring up my hamstrigns where my quads are to strong
    ACSM-CPT
  25. New Member
    joelast's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    25
    Posts
    195
    Rep Power
    193
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    8.23%

    Quote Originally Posted by Steelwolf View Post
    I just cut off the sleeves and use that. Just like grabbing a persons jacket.
    Straight legs with the dumbbells are interesting. I just started using them a week ago to bring up my hamstrigns where my quads are to strong
    I prefer DB's because you can get a better stretch. I will try using the shirt with my dead lifts tomorrow and see how it goes.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. 3day split to 4day split for fat loss?
    By SamuraiSid in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-25-2009, 08:32 PM
  2. 1-ad/4-ad Time split or no?
    By Jason161 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-03-2004, 03:59 AM
  3. All-Time Favorite Split
    By Nelson in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-27-2003, 01:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in