Mixin' it up with 5/3/1: Strong AND Fast!

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
I really like the 5/3/1 program, but keeping my cardio up (or even improving) is a top priority for me, so I'm following Wendler's program on the basic lifts: Bench, Squats, Deads, and Shoulder Press, but also doing about 30 min. of full body cardio circuits each day using mostly body weight moves, sort of similar to the way a CrossFit routine might go. So a typical week might look like this:

Mon: 5/3/1 Bench, Cardio Circuit
Tues: Cardio Circuit
Wed: 5/3/1 Squats, Cardio Circuit
Thurs: Cardio Circuit
Fri: 5/3/1 Shoulder Press, Cardio Circuit
Sat: (optional) Cardio Circuit
Sun: Off

Since there are four major lifts, it takes me a little over a week to get through all of them. Also, noteworthy is that I usually tailor the cardio to compliment the lifting done that day since I'm not doing any supplement lifts. I don't know how long I'll stick with this, but right now I'm loving it and I'll be logging my progress as I go. I'll post back after today's workout.

-j

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
Today's workout went pretty well. Here's how it went down:

Bench Press (nice and slow breaks; I didn't time them, but they were comfortable)
135/10, 185/5, 205/3, 215/3, 205/3x4, 185/5

Then came the cardio circuit. I followed this template five times with a 30-60 second rest between each.

5 Push-ups, 5 Chin-ups x5 (total of 25 of each)
Round Kicks -25/leg
100 ft Bear Crawls w/ push-ups every 25 ft.
Split Lunges -20
Uppercuts w/30 lb db's -20/arm

Good workout overall. Because of the nature of some of the moves, it wasn't a lighting fast cardio routine like some of them tend to be, but it still did the job. Tomorrow's will have less strength moves and more speed oriented stuff.

For whatever reason, I took a pic.

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
Decent quick workout today:

1 min. heavy bag
1 min. crunches
1 min. iso push-up (hold at bottom position)
1 min. rest
(repeated 7x)

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
throw in accesory lifts, its kinda teh key to the program / any pling routine. i did 5/3/1 for like 8 or 9 months n i liked it

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
I generally try to make sure I do some sort of pulling move for the back on a regular basis, since it's about the only muscle group not being worked, but other than that, I don't really consider myself a body builder, so I'm not interested in doing isolation moves all that often. Some, sure, but not a lot.

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
Hardest. Workout. Ever.

Strength:
Deadlifts: 135/10, 185/5, 225/3, 280/5x5
Bent-over rows (db): 40/10x5

Cardio Circuit:
50 25lb. DB swings
50 Sit-ups
20 BB Cleans (135 for first 3 rounds, 95 for last two)
50 Cable Pulls (highest resistance on Total Gym)
10 Tuck jumps after each move
x5

-j

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
Good workout yesterday:

Squats: 95/10, 135/10, 185/10, 235/10x2

Then cardio:

10 Push-ups/Chin-ups (alternating)
100 ft. Bear Crawl
10 Tuck Jumps
10 Barbell Clean & Press (65 lbs)
10 Ski Abs
10 Heavy Bag Round Kicks
20 Crunches
x5

Total time was 24 minutes for the cardio.

Today was a light day:

40 Crunches
50 Round kicks
1 min all out on the heavy bag
x4

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
Nice easy one today. About 25 minutes of light work on the heavy bag and 20 minutes of yoga. I'll probably do something similar the rest of the week. I think I need some time to recover a little.

Turk1976

Awards
Good effort John. Looks a little different than 5/3/1 programming. Are you using a variation?

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
Yes, I am. I like 5/3/1, but I want to keep my cardio up as much as possible for martial arts and just because I feel like it's practical, so I've modified a bit. When I started doing 5/3/1, I was figuring exact %'s and all that, but after the first month or two, I just started winging it. I know I'll get railed on for that, but so far, so good.

Turk1976

Awards
As long as you're working hard and progressing the way you want you're doing well. Keep at it

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
Did some lifting today, but all light weight, short of failure. I'll be hitting things hard again Monday.

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
1.5 mile run, heavy bag, and core work.

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
I have karate tonight, so I just stuck to the weights today and I'll get my cardio there, hopefully.

Incline Bench: 95/6, 135/6, 155/6, 185/3x3, 135/10x3
DB Curls: 30/10, 40/10x3
Lying Tri. Ext.: 30/10x4
Cable Flys: Top resistance/10x4

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
Well, karate ended up being lame. I was stuck holding a bag the majority of the class, so the extent of my cardio there was 100 jumping jacks at the beginning of class. To make up for it, I did six 4 min. rounds on the heavy bag when I got home. Triceps are really sore from tri. extensions yesterday. It's been a while since I've done them and they definitely hit the spot.

I decided to break up today's lifting and cardio as well. Here's the lifting. I'll do the cardio sometime before bed.

Front Squats: 45/10, 95/10 (never did these before but I don't think I could go very heavy with the weight sitting on the fronts of my shoulders. Ouch.)

Back Squats: 185/10, 235/5x5

One-Leg Calf Raises: 15x5

Wall Squats (w/35. lb db's) 60 sec x2

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
Just did the "Pure Cardio" workout from Insanity to get my cardio in for the night and clear out any carbs still hangin' around in ma' belly.

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
Easy day doing Kenpo+ from P90X+ today. Good thing too, I needed an easy day.

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
Had a fasted weights session with a little circuit before my first big meal yesterday, then some assorted interval cardio with the heavy bag and a couple 10 lb. DB's before bed last night. Probably not enough to offset my splurging, but at least I made an effort. Here's the first workout:

DB Shoulder Press(some sets were done one side at a time): 30/5, 35/5, 40/5, 45/5x2, 55/5, 55/4, 30/10x4

Shoulder Fly: 25/15, 20/15/2, 15/15

Circuit:
Push-ups & Pull-ups (5,4,3,2,1)
10 tuck jumps
100 ft. Bear Crawl
10 tuck jumps
Clean & Press (10 reps of clean, press, press)
10 tuck jumps
10 Round Kicks
(x3)

I tried switching to db's this week because I've been having issues with my traps straining and pulling while using the bar. Now it seems like every time I go for serious weight, I aggravate the injury, even when I think it's completely healed. Any suggestions on this? I'm not sure how to keep it from happening without just sticking to the light weights, but maybe that's what I have to do...

For today, I just took my gas station energy shot and I'll be heading down to do deads shortly...not sure what else, but there will definitely be either a few complimentary lifts or a circuit that focuses on similar areas. Maybe both.

Turk1976

Awards
how wide is your grip on the OH Press when you use a bar? Do you have access to a bar that lets you use parallel grip?

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
Usually shoulder-width. I don't have anything for parallel grip unless you count dumbbells. I was going into a gym, but in the mornings, there's an annoying old cougar that kept hitting on me while I was lifting and in the afternoon, I always have to wait on the station I need, so I just lift at home now. *sigh* Oh well, at least I can do my circuits without getting weird looks from the lazy asses.

Deads this morning:
95/10, 185/5, 235/5, 290/7x3, 290/3 (previous PR was 290/3)

I did a couple complimentary moves, but not much, honestly, and I didn't write them down. I'll do some kind of cardio circuit later.

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
1000 20lb. DB swings before bed. Take that, glycogen!

Turk1976

Awards
parallel grip OH Press could be easier on the shoulders, its just not very practical for most people.

great job on the PR and that's a ridiculous number of swings

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
I'll try a parallel grip with the dumbbells next time. The soreness usually goes away after a few days, so I should be back to normal by then.

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
Fairly easy day today. Did some work on the heavy bag this morning and tonight along with some core work. Should be good to go for belt testing Monday and Tuesday.

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
Fighting a cold here, but hit the weights anyway.

Incline Bench: 95/5, 135/5, 185/5x2, 155/8, 135/10x2
EZ Bar Curls: 75/10, 95/10x3, 75/15
Chest Fly (slow on Total Gym, highest resistance): 10x4, 15
Hammer Curls: 30/10x4, 25/10

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
Cold's slightly better, despite not getting enough sleep due to work. Did some kickboxing last night for cardio. Nothing crazy, but it was decent. Squats today:

Squats: 135/10, 185/5, 235/5, 255/4, 255/3, 255/4, 145/15, 145/10, 145/15
Hip Thrusts: 90/20, 90/20, 90/20
One-Leg Calf Raises: 15, 15, 15

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
It's my low-carb day today, so I kept it pretty light. I did about 15 minutes of shadow boxing and heavy bag work for technique, then strapped on my wrist and ankle weights for some jumping jacks and other basic calisthenic stuff.

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
Had a nice, quick workout today as I'm pressed seriously for work and won't be getting to sleep until tomorrow morning. A bunch of Y-presses and curls in the 8-10 rep range. Short rests, then back to work. Yay...

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
Deads, pull-ups, and rows on the Total Gym today.

Deads: 135/5, 185/5, 235/5, 290/10, 290/7x2

Pull-ups: 10x3

Rows: 25x3

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
Decent incline bench based workout today. I forget the exact numbers, but it felt good. I kept it short because we had the first half of belt testing tonight. That was a good workout as well.

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
Leg day. More karate testing tonight. New PR on squats, ch'yeah!

Warm-ups, then:
290/3x10
Leg Extensions: 100/15, 100/20, 100/30
Standing Calf Raises: 90/30x3
Side to Side Box Jumps: 30x3

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
Karate testing went pretty well last night. Lots of cardio, so I got that in. I was awarded a blue belt, so that's pretty cool as well. Today was an optional cardio day for me, but my weight is already down and it's also my low/no carb day, not to mention I'm still fighting a cold, so I just took the day off. I'm about to go pick up another set of 45's so I can maybe max out on deadlifts Friday. I'll check back in tomorrow.

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
I went in to the gym for the first time in months today and had a fantastic workout in very little time. Started with Shoulder "Y" presses working up to 55 lb. DB's for 5 reps and did a handful of sets at that weight. Then dropped back to 35's and did 10-15 rep sets, supersetted with straight curls, shoulder flys, and tricep extensions. I also filled my rests with various ab moves. Finished in 30 minutes, hit some heavy weights, and had a crazy pump without totally exhausting myself. Huzzah!

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
BEAST MODE! Deadlift day.

Warm-Ups: Blah blah blah, whatev.
Deads: 380/1x3 (I didn't think I'd be able to get this. I failed my first attempt, yelled and grunted a little, hit the door a few times, then came back and nailed it. NEW PR!!!)

Straight Leg Deads:135/10x3
Hip Thrusters: 90/20x3
Wide Grip Pull-ups (slooow): -/10x3
DB Swings: 25/50x3

Standing Calf Raises: 90/20x3
Cable Pulls (Total Gym): -/20x3

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
Easy day playing basketball at the gym yesterday morning, then I pretty much ruined my low-carb weekend at a church Christmas banquet. Oh well, it happens.

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
Killer workout today, beast mode is still in full effect.

Bench Press: 135/2, 185/2, 205/2, 225/1, 235/1x2
(nice and relaxed, 2-3 min. breaks)

Then supersetted:

Push-ups: 30x3
Chin-Ups: 15x3
EZ Bar Curls: 65/15x5
Lying Tri Ext. (dumbbells): 30/10x3
Cable Flyes: Total Gym highest resistance/15x5
Crunches: 50x3

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
Squats this morning, with assorted leg stuff.

Squats: 135/2, 185/2, 235/2, 285/1, 335/1, 385/FAIL (grrr. I over-estimated myself and went for too much. Lesson learned) 235/10, 235/10, 235/10

Standing Calf Raises:80/40x6

Leg Extensions: 100/20x3 (slow w/ squeeze at the top)

I had karate tonight and we did some push-ups, but not really a full workout by any means. I came home and did some kickboxing and plyo work on my own for about 30 minutes. Body fat is down to 7.5% according to my calipers and a seven fold test. I'm guessing that's about 2% low, but it's still progress, so I'm not complaining. I'm doing my best to keep the diet 100% in check getting the right macros at the right times so I can keep changing my body composition without losing any weight. I really like being @200 lbs.

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
'Insanity' this morning, fasted and it's a low/no carb day for me today. I'm getting irritable already...

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
First of all, let me say that I heart carbs...

Today's strength workout was shoulders, primarily, with some other junk mixed in.

Clean & Press: 45/5, 95/5, 135/5x5
(w/various ab moves between sets, 25 reps each)

Superset:
Y Press: 30/10x4
DB Curls: 30/15, 30/11, 30/10x2
Shoulder Fly: 20/10x4

I'll probably do Insanity before bed. I've been having a lot of fun with it lately.

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
Deads, straight leg deads, pendlay rows, lat pull-downs, and some other junk today. It was kind of scattershot, but a good workout regardless.

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
Hit the X Factor again for some cardio as well as one set of high rep squats (250/25) and some Tabata style push-ups. I have a Christmas party to go to this afternoon, so low carb isn't happening today. If I end up overeating (which is likely) I'll probably do some cardio again tonight to clean out the extra carbs before bed.

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
Well, I overate like crazy at a family Christmas thing today, came home and popped two black cats, then went down for some cardio. 1 hour of pounding away at the X Factor, heavy bag, weighted jump rope, burpees, kettle bell...you name it, I did it. And I feel amazing. I could go another hour. I'm just afraid of what I'm going to feel like when the stims wear off...

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
Chest and biceps fried:

Flat Bench: 45/15, 135/10, 185/10, 185/6+2+2

Superset:
Incline Bench: 135/12, 10x4
Seated Incline Curl: 30/12, 35/10, 10, 9, 9
Cable X-Over: 90/15, 12x4

Superset:
Standing DB Curl: 35/10x2
Cable X-Over: 90/10x2

Karate later tonight. Still holding at 197.2 and I'm looking forward to eating huge today. I feel like I need it.

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
Karate was cancelled due to weather, so I did some cardio at home. Lots of plank punches & pulls, burpees, punches, kicks, jump rope, etc. For some reason, I've been winging it a lot lately, but it's getting the job done.

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
I think I'm logging this for myself at this point, but that's ok...

My workout today doesn't look like much on paper, but it did me in.

Squats: 45/10, 135/10, 225/10, 275/5x3
Standing Calf Raises: 60/35x6
Leg Extensions: 140/15x3
Good Mornings: 135/10x3
Side to side jumps (over heavy bag): -/20x6
Mini Squat Jumps: -/20x3

-j

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
Well, I got about three hours of sleep last night due to holiday deadlines, but felt like doing something light today, so I did some medium cardio. I used the X Factor, jump rope, and did a few sets of push-ups and some shadow boxing for about 35 minutes. Broke a light sweat, but didn't get too carried away. I think it's just what I needed today.

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
Worked out with the wife today and I think she hates me a little now. Probably not a good idea on the day we're buying each other Christmas gifts...

Clean & Press: 95/5, 145/5x3
superset w/random ab move: 50 reps

"Y" Press: 40/10,8,8
Arnold Press: 40/4,4,5
Lying Tricep Ext: 30/10x3
(again, all these superset with 50 ab reps)

Shoulder Fly: 20/20x3
Pressdown (on X Factor, "weights" aren't accurate): 210/15,12,14

-j

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
Merry Christmas guys! Hope you have a good whatever it is you each celebrate. I had a good workout this morning. I'm still fighting a strain in my traps and shoulders, so I couldn't do deadlifts as per usual, but I did a bunch of assistance stuff and got a pretty nice pump going.

-j