JudoJosh is "Moving North of Vag" with USPlabs at his back

Page 2 of 7 First 1234 ... Last

1. Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    My max is around 240 so keeping with the 531 philosphy I stay waay under that. I am no where near what you are dead lifting over there big guy.
    Haha well I just recently found out it isnt that common to do what I do

2. Hey Josh,

Just caught up to the point of where I sub'd. Honestly, as someone who has done lower carb diets, I disagree with what your prof. said. A quick google though didn't turn up any studies to prove me right or wrong, so I PM'd AntonG420, who has argued previously on the side of low carb diets, so I am sure he can back it up better than I could.
    Just inject.
    Facebook:
    www.facebook.com/heretostudy
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by Army Guy View Post
    haha you got to love those nutty professors!!!! Send that question to Kleen. He is the master at that
    I just hate when in order to prove a point people lie. Why couldn't she just give an honest opinion and reason against it rather then making something up. We have to write a paper on a scientific study that was done from a science jouirnal. The purpose is to gt us used to reading actual studys and interperting them ourselves, so naturally I pick "The metabolic effects of low carb diets".. lol she is going to hate me.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaelael View Post
    I'm fairly positive that carbs are not needed but its the type of fuel your body is most conditioned to. . .I'm a huge fan of carb diets. . meaning incorperating carbs into your diet due to teh fact that your metabolism utilizes them for energy the most efficiently. . .extended time periods drop your metobolic rate and honestly your become slow. . .although your pancreas may secreate glucose its not the type of energy that your body wants.. . .why reinvent the wheel. . lets just make it better. . .low car periods are great for IMO 2days 3 days absolute max. . .CARBS are GOOD. . .and provide more benefits that not!! I'm no doctor but am educating myself. . .I don't claim to know everything but a lil bout a lil open for a great discussion
    No they are not NEEDED and according to some people not really the perfered energy source it is just whatwe eat the most. I have read where people argue that most dieases today are dieases of society and are a result from societys high carb highly processed food lifestyle. Potatoes for example didn't really enter into our food eating until the late 1500s and even then it was very limited and was considered food for the poor people. Weather you are an evolutionist or creationist this would mean that we have survived without eating potatoes for a very very long time. Either way like I said before I do disagree with atkins diet but I think it is wrong for her to portray it the way she did.

Quote Originally Posted by HereToStudy View Post
    Looks like I am a bit behind, but always happy to follow man. Love your detail. Nice title btw.
    Good to have you in here with us bud! Did you ever get around to watching the documentary "Outfoxed"?
    PESCIENCE.COM

"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

4. So yestarday was work and today is school. I have a quiz so naturally instead of studying I am browsing through AM and catching up with peoples logs.

One thing I noticed yestarday was my hunger!!! And damn I was hungry! All day long it was like I couldn't kick it. I have been really good on my diet with avoiding eating unplanned food. In other words I don't eat food on the spur I only eat food I have planned out for that day because it already fits my dietary requirments I set for myself, and I have been good with firghting off urges really well, except for yestarday. I was at work so food options werent the best so I did eat some not diet friendly food (damn that double chocolate carmel brownie was good!) I am going to bring extra food next time so I have good food to eat incase I get these hunger urges again. I have read before on logs that prime sometimes makes you hungry so I am thinking thats what it is. We will see if I experience the same thing today.

Now I hate when I make excuses for myself. Yestarday I effed up somewhat on my diet and there is no excuse for it. I have to hold myself to a better standard. Just so happens a facebook friend of mine posted this video he found on youtube yestarday and it is incredibily inspriring to say the least. I mean watch it! If this guy can continue to push through despite his situation HOW DARE I make such a petty excuse for myself. MAKE NO EXCUSES!!!!! Nothing can stop you but yourself and he is proof of that.

"There's a difference between interest and commitment. When you're interested in doing something, you do it only when circumstance permit. When you're committed to something, you accept no excuses, only results." - Art Turock

PESCIENCE.COM

5. Log looks great buddy!! Seems like everyone here has already commented on the points I was going to which is why I'm so proud to belong to this community!! Awesome to see all that progress!! I'm doing something similar to you right now, in that I'm taking a GH supp prior to working out, and I'm loving it. I just make sure that I don't take in any carbs an hour or more before I work out and nothing during, and most of the time, none after, as that would blunt GH release. Just some food for thought. Keep up the good log and hard work. Gonna give those face pulls a go here later today, looks more fun than plain old cables.

6. Quote Originally Posted by subweevil View Post
    Log looks great buddy!! Seems like everyone here has already commented on the points I was going to which is why I'm so proud to belong to this community!! Awesome to see all that progress!! I'm doing something similar to you right now, in that I'm taking a GH supp prior to working out, and I'm loving it. I just make sure that I don't take in any carbs an hour or more before I work out and nothing during, and most of the time, none after, as that would blunt GH release. Just some food for thought. Keep up the good log and hard work. Gonna give those face pulls a go here later today, looks more fun than plain old cables.
    Hmm.. For pre workout I usually have a AP cap then 20mins later I have a whey shake with 1/3cup oatmeal and 3 fish oil caps. Then I wait 1.30 hours then have 2 scoop jacked, 1 cap OEP and 3 caps powerfull. So my pre workout timing is good but post workout i typically pop a AP cap before I do my post workout strength cardio and then immediately after whatever I do I take another shake with whey and oats but no fish oil. So what your suggesting is I completely forgo the oats postworkout and stick with just a whey shake?

7. Well, from my experience, and other peoples, seems that carbs during and real close to workouts can limit the amount of fat burned during the workout. If your getting results now, which you are, I wouldn't think there would be any need to change up, I'd finish up your cycle and then you will know exactly what you did and didn't gain from it, versus changing it up and skewing the results. I was just throwing an idea out there about carbs since your taking something to elicit GH release and are on kinda a recomp.

8. Almost forgot to mention. After my current workouts, it's a shake and then bedtime. So for me, it's easy right now to forgo the carbs post workout. Your timing for carbs pre-workout looks solid though, no need to mess with success there. For future you could try taking in carbs later after your workout, like maybe an hour, that will give you more time to burn through reserves. I'm sure others more knowledgeable can chime in with useful advice about this.

9. Thanks for the advice. I think I'll stop with the postworkout carb and maybe have a tuber with my post meal.

Right now I am debating picking up another bottle of prime. I think I have enough for 2 more weeks left. That will make a total of 4 weeks. I thought it would last longer but guess not. Maybe I'll just wait till week 3 and see how I feel with the prime. Week 3 is soupposed to be the amazing week according to the prime booklet so if it is truely amazing would it be fine to keep it going?

10. Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    Good to have you in here with us bud! Did you ever get around to watching the documentary "Outfoxed"?
    Thanks for reminding me, I just added it to my netflix instant queue and will watch it tonight. Lot of crazyness going on (PP Sale), so Ive lost my mind on alot of other things.

As for that video, dude is very inspirational. Next time I "can't" I am going to watch that video.
    Just inject.
    Facebook:
    •   

11. Quote Originally Posted by HereToStudy View Post
    Thanks for reminding me, I just added it to my netflix instant queue and will watch it tonight. Lot of crazyness going on (PP Sale), so Ive lost my mind on alot of other things.

As for that video, dude is very inspirational. Next time I "can't" I am going to watch that video.
    I was available for instant watch (I have netflix too) but I don't know if it still is

And yea watching him really kicked my ass. If he can despite his situation I have no excuse that is acceptable

12. ok well the conventional wisdom always goes against low/no carb diets. dieticians and doctors are taught using the US food pyramid, which reccomends 5-8 servings of grain daily. to them, high amounts of carbs are essential to good health. these are the same people who pay no attention to gluten concentration, PH levels of food, etc.

first of all, its either low carb or no carb. in no carb, your body enters a state of ketosis. once the liver glycogen stores are depleted, the liver produces ketones that the brain continues to burn..instead of glucose. the energy in this diet comes from fat stores and consumed dietary fat. this is a great diet to drop body fat but not a bodybuilding diet. people who deplete their muscle glycogen through workouts will have a hard time replenishing that glycogen without carbs/glucose. however it is perfectly possible to live in ketosis, just like how our ancestors did before the agricultural revolution. you might not power through 2 workouts a day but if given enough dietary fat, there is research showing that physical endurance wont be affected.

paleo people believe in a low carb approach. low meaning the ceiling is about 150-170 g a day. this gives you many benefits. your insulin sensitivity improves because you are not spiking the insulin and blood sugar throughout the day with super high glycemic carbs. vegetables are extremely low glycemic and fruit has a low glycemic load because of the fiber content, longer time to digest, fructose is processed in the liver, etc. eating fruit/vegetables/red potatoes allows us to replenish muscle glycogen without all the health issues thats associated with grains and processed sugars.

so no carb/keto is a little more difficult to stay with if you lift/train, but there is no research proving that there is any harm. the best is to use low carb (up to 180 grams) and limit the carbs to fruit, veg, red potatoes.

13. When I'm cutting carbs, cardio is kept short, HIIT style and I train in the lower rep ranges. I find it's easier to bounce back that way, as I'm not really tapping too much into my glycogen during lifts, and only really hitting it on cardio days. I would agree with the above statement about "Low or no carbs," when used for recomping and such. Every so often though, I'll carb up for a day just to shock the body and keep it guessing, plus, it lets me go harder at it next time I'm in the gym. I'm not talking overboard here, just some sensible carbs timed around my schedule for that day. It doesn't concern me if I don't lose weight for that day, because I know it's not enough to plateau me. Besides, I don't need to weigh myself everyday, I can pretty much tell by this point what's going on.

14. Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    so no carb/keto is a little more difficult to stay with if you lift/train, but there is no research proving that there is any harm. the best is to use low carb (up to 180 grams) and limit the carbs to fruit, veg, red potatoes.
    Thanks for responding bro. Knew you were the man for it. Question though, by mentioning specifically red, are you suggesting to avoid sweet potatoes? I absolutely love them, and all I have seen about them is that they are a smart choice. Any reason to limit intake?
    Just inject.
    Facebook:

15. Quote Originally Posted by HereToStudy View Post
    Thanks for responding bro. Knew you were the man for it. Question though, by mentioning specifically red, are you suggesting to avoid sweet potatoes? I absolutely love them, and all I have seen about them is that they are a smart choice. Any reason to limit intake?
    no sweet potatoes are good. sweet potatoes actually have a lower GI. red potatoes are less starchy than white, they are more waxier. sincei its a borderline paleo food, its best to choose the most compatible to your body potato. so yeah stick to sweet and red.

16. Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    no sweet potatoes are good. sweet potatoes actually have a lower GI. red potatoes are less starchy than white, they are more waxier. sincei its a borderline paleo food, its best to choose the most compatible to your body potato. so yeah stick to sweet and red.
    Cool thats what I was hoping to hear, thanks bro.
    Just inject.
    Facebook:

17. Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    Yea I read mixed views on tubers and paleo. How do you feel about oats? Or basmati rice or quiona herb?
    PESCIENCE.COM

18. 9/29

Had my quiz today, which I think I did fairly well on. I decided to just buy another bottle of prime and extend this. I counted my left over prime caps today and if I pick up anoter bottle and continue with the 69 protocol I should be able to about 4 more weeks which would make my total 6 weeks on prime. My OEP, AP, Jack3d, and powerful should last till then. If my powerful runs out I have some 1-carboxy I can take afterwards. Not sure if it is just as good or not. I am also toying with the idea of adding in some ephedera into the mix to aide with the fat loss and also help kill the hunger cravings I been getting recently. If I do it will be very minimal like say 25 grams a day split into 2 servings taking a couple hours after the OEP, but im still not sure.

Anyway today was bench so workout was

Bench x5/x3/x1
    DB Incline 5x10
    Face pulls with my rope 5x10
    kettlebell complex done twice
    PESCIENCE.COM

19. Quote Originally Posted by HereToStudy View Post
    Cool thats what I was hoping to hear, thanks bro.
    I know me too. Just had another half of sweet potato and banana mash with a nice big steak mmmm

20. Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    Yea I read mixed views on tubers and paleo. How do you feel about oats? Or basmati rice or quiona herb?
    oats are no good in my opinion. there is very little gluten but they are highly acidic like all grains. you also dont want to eat so much insoluble fiber. ive mentioned it before, you want naturally flowing digestion cycles....not a sped up process because you are eating a ton of insoluble fiber. going once a day > more than once a day because frequent cycles empty out good intestine bacteria. scientists say that the fiber twigs literally scrape the intestines forcing some kind of mucus to be released to lubricate and ease the damage. thats why you only need the fiber thats in fruits/vegetables. if you eat enough vegetables there wont be any constipation issues.

basmati rice is good. i know rodja eats it post workout. the acidity is much lower than other kinds of rice. you can google the PRAL score of food, that will give you an idea how acidic or alkaline the food is.

quinoa i have no experience with. im not sure if its sprouted or not which would make a difference in its anti-nutrient content.

dont eat ephedrine. that sh#t is too harsh on the body/heart. if you wanna lose fat, put yourself in keto and do less martial arts. use weekends for re-carbing. let me know what else you need to know

21. Man, I've only got til' saturday and then I'm a married man. I should be doing more wedding stuff, but too much good info here. I will add that spinach is great for balancing high acidity, the darker the better. As for quinoa, I like it and it's a very protein complete carb. At this point, though, I'm not sure of it's acidity.

22. Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    oats are no good in my opinion. there is very little gluten but they are highly acidic like all grains. you also dont want to eat so much insoluble fiber. ive mentioned it before, you want naturally flowing digestion cycles....not a sped up process because you are eating a ton of insoluble fiber. going once a day > more than once a day because frequent cycles empty out good intestine bacteria. scientists say that the fiber twigs literally scrape the intestines forcing some kind of mucus to be released to lubricate and ease the damage. thats why you only need the fiber thats in fruits/vegetables. if you eat enough vegetables there wont be any constipation issues.

basmati rice is good. i know rodja eats it post workout. the acidity is much lower than other kinds of rice. you can google the PRAL score of food, that will give you an idea how acidic or alkaline the food is.

quinoa i have no experience with. im not sure if its sprouted or not which would make a difference in its anti-nutrient content.

dont eat ephedrine. that sh#t is too harsh on the body/heart. if you wanna lose fat, put yourself in keto and do less martial arts. use weekends for re-carbing. let me know what else you need to know
    Quinoa is gluten-free, which is really how I eat now instead of true Paleo. Anton started his usage of red potatoes per my recommendations since it's both alkalinic and gluten-free. Plus, they're really high in potassium and can be made in many ways to avoid eating the same things.

I still take in quite a bit of carbs since I've been adding more cardio into my training and am still performance based as opposed to aesthetically based. Right now, I'd say I'm getting about 275-300g of carbs along with 240-300g of protein and 60-80g of fat. All of my fats come from beef, whole eggs, EVOO, coconut milk, and mixed nuts.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

23. Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk88 View Post
    I know me too. Just had another half of sweet potato and banana mash with a nice big steak mmmm
    Banana mash? what is this you speak of? Is it like mashed potatoes but with bananas instead?

Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post

I have some red potatos that I will start taking for my pre workout, I'll stop with the oats. Thanks for clearing that up, I was wondering about it.

I am presently out of basmati rice. I had opted to get quinoa instead during my last grocery trip. I had read some articles on vegetarian eating and saw many people eat quinoa with black beans and say they formed a complete protein. So I figured it would be some cheap meals to have once in a while instead of meat. But now that I have been looking into this paleo lifestyle and it preaches against beans I never made the quinoa. I also am not sure if it is sprouted or not. This is what a quick google search turned up if this helps

Quinoa (pronounced Keen-wah) is an ancient food that is not yet well known in North America. It has been cultivated in South American Andes since at least 3,000 B.C. and has been a staple food of millions of native inhabitants. The ancient Incas called quinoa the "mother grain" and revered it as sacred. Each year at planting time it was traditional for the Inca leader to plant the first quinoa seed using a solid gold shovel! Quinoa was used to sustain Incan armies, which frequently marched for many days eating a mixture of quinoa and fat, known as "war balls." Beginning with the Spanish conquest in the 1500s, there was a 400-year decline in the production of quinoa. It became a minor crop at that time and was grown only by peasants in remote areas for local consumption.
    Technically quinoa is not a true grain, but is the seed of the Chenopodium or Goosefoot plant. It is used as a grain and substituted for grains because of it's cooking characteristics. The name comes from the Greek words, chen (a goose) and pous (a foot). This is due to a resemblance of the leaves of the plant to the webbed foot of a goose. The leaves are lobed or toothed and often triangular in shape. The succulent like plant grows from 4 to 6 feet high and has many angular branches. The flower heads are branched and when in seed looks much like millet, with large clusters of seeds at the end of a stalk. The plant will grow in a variety of conditions but favors a cool, arid climate and higher elevations. Beets, spinach, Swiss chard, and lamb's quarters are all relatives of quinoa
    For people who need to follow a gluten free diet regime the good news is that standard quinoa grains are gluten free. Quinoa grain can be included into your diet easily and you can be sure that as long as the other ingredients are also gluten free there will be no problem.

There are however quinoa food products where it is not quite so clear cut. Quinoa flour and quinoa flakes are processed quinoa and cannot be guaranteed gluten free. The problem comes because some quinoa manufacturers use the same factory to produce other flours. This means that there can be some cross contamination with wheat flour products.
    So since quinoa is not really a grain and the article said it is realated to spinach is it safe to say it is paleo friendly?

As for going keto.. I can imagine that would be fairly hard to do paleo. When I was doing the anabolic diet I relied heavily on cheeses for my fat intake. It would be hard to hit the needed percent of fat in your diet while still being paleo. That would have to be alot of nuts!! And I can't imagine eating without fruit in my diet now. I dont think a keto diet would be an option for me anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by subweevil View Post
    Man, I've only got til' saturday and then I'm a married man. I should be doing more wedding stuff, but too much good info here. I will add that spinach is great for balancing high acidity, the darker the better. As for quinoa, I like it and it's a very protein complete carb. At this point, though, I'm not sure of it's acidity.
    Congrats on the nuptials buddy!!!
    PESCIENCE.COM

24. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Quinoa is gluten-free, which is really how I eat now instead of true Paleo. Anton started his usage of red potatoes per my recommendations since it's both alkalinic and gluten-free. Plus, they're really high in potassium and can be made in many ways to avoid eating the same things.

I still take in quite a bit of carbs since I've been adding more cardio into my training and am still performance based as opposed to aesthetically based. Right now, I'd say I'm getting about 275-300g of carbs along with 240-300g of protein and 60-80g of fat. All of my fats come from beef, whole eggs, EVOO, coconut milk, and mixed nuts.
    Thanks for clearing up the quinoa option. I am curious as to what are some ways you cook the potatoes? I usually just chop em up and drizzle EVOO on top and bake them. Would love to hear some other ways to add them tomy meals other then baked or mashed.

I try and lift the same way. I believe in the olympic / athlethic type of lifting rather then the bodybuilding approach. Not that there is anything wrong with it, it is just a personal preference of mine. I try to avoid all movements that would involve me sitting or using a machine. I try and do almost everything standing up. I recently finished reading Power Training by Dos Medios and am about to start this other book about functional training. I see from your log you follow Defrancos WS4SB. I will prolly give that program a shot after my 531 but am gonna stick with 531 for a little longer to give it a fair chance. It is soupposed to be great for strength building. Do you read any of Jim Smiths writings?
    PESCIENCE.COM

25. Incase anyone doesnt know who Joe Defranco is, here is a compliation video of his gym

PESCIENCE.COM

26. wait...its the opposite, paleo is very keto friendly. the deficit in calories that used to be from carbs now come from fat, eggs/fish/steak/oils. paleo is the perfect diet for keto. keep carbs under 30 during the week and recarb on the weekends.

27. Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    Incase anyone doesnt know who Joe Defranco is, here is a compliation video of his gym

Thank u def got me wanting to go lift now.

Sweet potato and banana mash. Basically mash a banana into a sweet potato with a fork. Heat both of them 1st of course. About a minute in the the microwave for the banana and depends on the sweet potato. I usually use half a sweet potato and a whole banana.

28. Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk88 View Post

Sweet potato and banana mash. Basically mash a banana into a sweet potato with a fork. Heat both of them 1st of course. About a minute in the the microwave for the banana and depends on the sweet potato. I usually use half a sweet potato and a whole banana.
    No butter? Just a banana and sweet potato and that's all? I'm def gonna give it a try

Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    wait...its the opposite, paleo is very keto friendly. the deficit in calories that used to be from carbs now come from fat, eggs/fish/steak/oils. paleo is the perfect diet for keto. keep carbs under 30 during the week and recarb on the weekends.
    I gues your right now that I really think about it but again I can't imagine going without fruit all week.

29. Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk88 View Post

I actually grabbed some bananas yesterday specifically for this after you mentioned it in the food thread. Tonight is the night
    Just inject.
    Facebook:

30. Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    No butter? Just a banana and sweet potato and that's all? I'm def gonna give it a try

I gues your right now that I really think about it but again I can't imagine going without fruit all week.
    you can eat a little bit, like 1 piece of fruit a day. i mean this is a diet for extreme fat loss. the body literally uses adipose tissue for energy. energy levels dip at first but this is super effective. i have a roomate who is about 5-10 and in the beginning of the summer he weighed 193. you know, skinny fat guy physique. by putting him on paleo and eventually a little bit of keto + 3 days a week of lifting, we got him down to 165 in 2 months. now hes got no love handles and looks pretty solid.

Similar Forum Threads

1. USPLabs TNA Limited Edition "Classic Series"
    By MAxximal in forum Supplements
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 02-23-2010, 01:07 PM
  2. USPlabs JACKED "Eye of the Tiger" Contest!
    By Guest in forum Company Promotions
    Replies: 277
    Last Post: 02-25-2009, 12:39 PM
  3. 3-AD: Putting "thesinner" back in "synergy"
    By thesinner in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 266
    Last Post: 05-08-2008, 04:58 PM
  4. Replies: 144
    Last Post: 01-01-2008, 03:11 PM
  5. Back "Width" and Back "Thickness"
    By Rock Lee in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 5