John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Today is December 12th 2009. The purpose of this log is to record what I did during this time so one day I can look back on it and use it for information, help people, and help me with my goals.

I have started a new intensity program, designed to fit my current goals. Toward my last training phase(DC two way split) my joints were aching and took a week break off all weights and another week of light weights/trying new exercises.

Last blast I was failing at 6-8 reps, which I can not do this all the time, I would like to because these is the rep range in my opinion that builds the best mass, for upper body;however I am a believer in cycling intensity and rep ranges so these next four weeks I'll be failing in the 10-12 rep range on most exercises to give my joints a break.

I believe form is crucial and use the slower negatives and exploding positives which recruit more white fiber muscles. White fiber muscles are the muscles responsible for the most muscle growth. Red fibers are endurance. Quick fact: you can stimulant white muscle fibers and red muscle fibers by using white fiber training; however, the opposite is NOT true you can not stimulate white muscle fibers with red muscle fiber training(thats high rep-endurance training).

This is a great training technique to change white muscle fibers..of course some people are genetically born with more white fibers and you can not change this fact but you can sure recruit the ones you do have to the maximum from what I understood out of the Joe Weider training principals.

Most of all this information I got from other people. Dorian yates, Doggcrapp, Joe weider principals, various others.

Goals

Next four weeks goals: lose an inch on the waist and gain 0.25 inch on arms.

followed my a week of light or no training

followed by four weeks of continued fat loss, and allowing the failure at 6-8 reps (ill determine this goal after i finish these next four weeks)

Nutrition is down to a science right now I am taking in 3,500 calories 350 protein, 350 carbs, and 75 grams of fat. I count everything on paper every day. I will not be writing this down as I have it on paper.

Sleep 8-10 hours per night on average.

Training: in one of the above paragraphs and you'll see it as I write it down...intensity training in general and as far as I am concerned is the best to make the most gains.

*note* sets are done with a slow negative, slight pause and exploding up. This is the technique that recruits more white fibers.

Cardio: 60 minutes twice per week, 30 minutes twice per week. all four sessions are done on an empty stomach upon awaking.

Supplements: Lean Xtreme, maybe Ec stack (I do not use stimulates at all and if it causes too much discomfort/sleep issues I stop), glycobol, stoked, joint complex, whey protein,super digestive enzymes, acidophulus, mus-blast(post training formula with glutamine peptides),creatine( I do creatine cycling 3-4 days at 20-25 grams per day, then a 3-4 day break than repeat)multi, sometimes extra vitamins if I think i can benefit from them...

with all this said nutrition is the most important and has to be in place before one can make gains. I know I am not taking in huge amounts of calories like I was so my recovery is limited to some degree..and usually during cutting phases if a person does gain muscle it is nothing like taking surplus calories. That is one of the reasons I believe in not staying super lean year round I believe to put on muscle you have to add at least some body-fat and that is what works for myself.

I am still in the 'quote' 'unquote' "off season" and have a six-seven months until my next competition. my goal with this is to slowly cut, not hardcore contest preparation phase and when I start contest preparation for the body fat to be at around ten percent so I can come in good conditioning.

Last weeks weight was 243 Ill update on this. Furthermore, My main goal is the one inch waist reduction and the 0.25 gain in the arms.

I think when doing a strict contest prep it is most likely that a person will not add any muscle mass, I am not saying impossible, just in my opinion , unlikely. Thats why if a person does the off season right they'll have the mass come pre-contest and can really focus on getting shredded instead of worried about being a mass monster coming into the show. worry about the monster mass during the gaining phase.

On hormones: yeah I am going there. My organization NGA allows over the counter only, however, if they cause a positive for anything the competitor is banned. With the recent happenings with the FDA the rules may change,we will see.Which I do not understand why the NGA does not make over the counter only and I am fine with their current rules. I am hesitate about using over the counter hormonal stuff even though it is okay with the NGA so if I am pretty unsure something would cause a positive then I simply follow the Nga's rules and stay away. If I ever want to compete in another organization that is my choice.In addition, I generally stay away from this kind of talk because many people have debating issues with it but wanted to put it out there.

On size: at 23 years old I got my arms up at 18.5 inches pumped without ever using any kind of hormone. my legs 28 inches at the time and 230 lbs.I think that is pretty good for a natural bodybuilder never using a hormone in his life. I see so many guys that do not know how to eat for size and yet take every "super supplement"under the sun, come off and lose their size. I am not going to debate but I truly feel nutrition is where the gains are at..eating big, training intense like you mean it, and sleep. I truley think and feel that hard work carried me though and many people blame their genetics for lack of progress. I say it is intelligent hard work that carries you though

From looking back at old pictures that is why my current goal for this log is to specifically focus on arm size because my arms use to bigger than they are currently. (I had to take off upper body for a year due to a serious injury which was my fault I did not pay attention to my body with form, super heavy reps 4-6 reps for years , training though pain, ) so I think I can get them to 18.5 again and avoid injury my body.we will see...the goal now is 0.25 inch arm gain and a 1 inch waist loss by January 9th 2010.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Wednesday Chest shoulders Triceps

Decline Barbell bench press 260 lbs= 13x's rest paused(I thought I would be stronger since I was coming back into a new training program. next time Ill stay here and increase the reps as this next four weeks is higher reps to give me joints a break)
barbell very widegrip neck press 95lbs= 15 x's

Larry Scott style Seated Dumbbell press 40 lbs= 25 x's
standing side laterals 20 lbs= 15 x's

Nautilus Dip machine 250 lbs= 27 x's
Standing over the head v bar tricep extensions 70 lbs= 15 x's

thuresday
woke up and did 40 minutes cardio

Friday biceps, backwidth, backthickness

Seated dumb bell preacher curls 25 lbs= 25 x's
preacher barbell curls bar= 10 x's- arm started feeling funny so took it easy

one arm cable reverse curls 25lbs= 20 x's

nautilus pullover(yates technique) 120 lbs= 27 x's (rest pauses)
nautilus pullover 80 lbs= 15 x'ss

Old school T bar rows 4 plates= 12 x;s, 6 plates =1 x's (too heavy without good form)
5 plates= 9 x's

back hang 50 seconds

Saturday 60 minutes cardio first thing waking up on an empty stomach , first 20 minutes is Dante's cardio calve routine,followed by treadmill I stay on about 3.0 when i get bored Ill go up to 7 for a couple minutes to get heart rate racing then slow it slow again.
about six-seven hours later Larry Scott's Ring of fire abs routine

Clickster

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Very informative! Keep up the good work!

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Monday Calves, hams quads

Donkey smith machine Calve raise- 225 lbs= 15 x's

Hack machine sldl 185 lbs= 15 x's slow emphasis on form

Smith Front squat(all the way down, pause at bottom, explode up) 185=7 x's, 135=11? did not write down

Hamstring stretch 60 seconds
quadriceps stretch 60 seconds

Tuesday
upon awaking 30 minutes cardio, six hour later

Chest Shoulders triceps

Pec Dec 100lbs= 26 x's
widegrip barbell neck press 100 lbs= 15 x's

Seated smith military press 135lbs=22 x's
standing side laterals 25 lbs= 15x's

Triceps extension 75 lbs= 11x's
standing over the head cable extension 70 lbs= 20 x's

again until January 9th it is higher rep training due to sore joints giving them time to recover so I can train hard and heavy again..also the intensity may be a little less it is still there though with the most intensity focused on weak body parts.

Today Wednesday Dec 16th 09
60 minutes cardio ( first twenty minutes is cardio calves) did not do upon awaking I was too tired to get up today so i slept in which I had planned to do it but sometimes your body tells you not to. sleep is crucial and if I would have gotten up with how tired I was i would have done more harm then good on my body. my body needs its sleep.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thuresday

30 minutes cardio first thing upon awaking

6 hours later biceps, forearms, back

Standing Db curls 35lbs= 35 x's-form is very strict and yes higher reps to give joints a break.
Strait barbell preacher curls- bar= 15 x's

deadarm hammer curls(Incline db hammers) 25 lbs= 20 x's

Close to middle grip underhand pulldowns 160 lbs= 20 x's
Nautilus pullover 90 lbs= 15 x's

Deadlift(Yates style these are lifted off the floor like a regular deadlift than go to about the shin as seen in blood and guts)
345- 5x's than another full deadlift rep-1 x's
315=6x's

back hang 40 seconds

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Friday

calves hams quads

seated calve raise 45+25=10
donkey calve raise (with brother on back 150 lbs) 10 x's
*calves are done very slow negative with a long stretch and exploding up)

Lying leg curl+3(+3 is a technique DC came up with) 100 lbs=22x's

Leg Press 5 plates 16 x's, 6 plates= 10 x's

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
today

60 minutes cardio first thing in morning,, elliptical
machine, and 10 minutes stationary bike

weight is 239 lost 4 lbs from beginning

my endurance is really good and I think it is very possible the stoked has been helping me with endurance. In addition, it has for certain made me a horny monster.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This week is Dc two way split due to the holidays and gym being closed.

Chest Shoulders Triceps Back width Back thickness

Low Incline Barbell 185=12 x's

Standing side laterals 35 lbs=16x's

Dips =20 x's

Close grip pull down 160 lbs=20 x's

Reverse Barbell row 185= 12x's, 225 lbs=8 x's

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yesterday 60 minutes cardio(not on empty stomach)

Today Biceps forearms calve s quads hams

Db preacher curls 25 lbs=20 x's

scott variation barbell reverse curls 95lbs=4x's (heavy)

Seated calve raise 2 plates=8 x's

Leg press 5 plates+25=12 x's, 6 plates+25=10x's

Sldl (Yates style) 225=12x's, 275=10 x's

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
WHOA heyyyyy I didn't even know you started this.

Way to go!

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Always good to have support.

today

60 minutes cardio (elliptical)on empty stomach

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I get so bored on an elliptical, even when it's while watching TV. It stays warm enough year-round to where I can run outside.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I get so bored on an elliptical, even when it's while watching TV. It stays warm enough year-round to where I can run outside.
I put on some trance/energy music while doing cardio that seems to help.(mp3 player) you can find free downloads on google.

today was 65 minutes cardio on an empty stomach

calves cardio first 15 minutes, next ten elliptical, next 35 slight incline 6 at 3.5-5.0 interval.

I in no way am recommending this for every one this is just is what is working for me at this time.

I am also 250 lbs from yesterday as I allowed myself to enjoy tasting foods(and a lot) of food I normally do not eat. Probably ate five eat whatever i want meals yesterday which i normally allow one per week. feels good, feels different,however,time to get to work on the fat loss.

I got a digital scale for Christmas to weigh out my food so ill be getting even more precise with my diet. Also got a juicer to drink my vegetables when in a rush. I think so many people overlook getting their fruits and vegetables in.

I am expecting for this weight to drop in the next couple days or a week.

I usually do not log my nutrition as I write it down on a piece of paper every day with that said today i dropped my calorie intake due to no weight training, cardio no demand for the energy.This is just an idea of what I am doing right now
Today Took in

300 grams protein
300 carbs
75 fat
3,075 calories

This is just an example of nutrition and I will not be logging nutrition everyday.

Two days ago when I did legs I took in 315 protein, 400 carbs and 75 fat so each day varies.

I'm guessing my 65 minutes cardio burned about 775 calories. I will not be building significant if any amounts of muscle on this diet in my opinion. some people will debate and say yes you can still build muscle and that may be true;although in my opinion nothing builds muscle faster than taking in lots of clean calories like maybe instead of gaining a steady 1 lbs of muscle a month on a high calorie diet I may be only gaining 0.5 lbs a month. just a guess because big calories are needed for more muscle in my opinion.

and also with the rep range on upper body I am doing currently,to give joints a break, it is more like maintenance training.

I am using calorie cycling to get this weight off. If I feel tired and feel like I need more carbs to push more weights in the gym ill do that. Furthermore, I have not learn't every thing about my body I have learned the basics of nutrition how to get big and get cut but I still have much to learn. That is the difference between the professionals and amateurs they know their body inside and out and how it works. I know I can learn more this year about my body and how it works getting ready for this show.

Last year i learned a ton contest prep time. I know how to add the size and I am doing this up until I start my contest preparation, depending on how lean I am. Moreover, my goal right now is to lean up while still adding size so it is not a pre contest diet just a slow body fat reduction phase for the next training couple weeks and the next five weeks after that.

The above is me rambling on =) I do that sometimes

I'll try to get a video up of me in the exact same location each time around Jan 9th and another one up after I finish losing body fat.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Today 60 minutes cardio on empty stomach. I could lose the body fat by eating less and not doing any cardio, I have done this many times. I like cardio because it boosts my endorphins, it is a different elevation than weights. In addition on the elliptical I close my eyes listen to my music, go inside and focus on breathing. It is just as good as meditating for myself. I do this closing eyes/deep breathing on the elliptical only

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

AI Sports Nutrition
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Today 60 minutes cardio on empty stomach. I could lose the body fat by eating less and not doing any cardio, I have done this many times. I like cardio because it boosts my endorphins, it is a different elevation than weights. In addition on the elliptical I close my eyes listen to my music, go inside and focus on breathing. It is just as good as meditating for myself. I do this closing eyes/deep breathing on the elliptical only
I dread doing cardio at times but I always feel better after.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Today Cardio on empty stomach 30 minutes(warm up 5 minutes bike, interval,15 minutes cardio calves, elliptical 10 minutes) The cardio calve routine has really brought my calves up.They are not my best body part and have been stuck at 16 for years. after a few months of doing the cardio calve way they got up to 16.5. and now they are a tad over 17 flexed. (not pumped)

I highly recommend any one with wimpy calves do the cardio calves. your going to do cardio anyway so you might as well beef up the calves.

http://www.intensemuscle.com/31749-random-thoughts-dante-again-i-think-betito-wanted-me-do.html?highlight=calves

six hours later Chest Shoulders Triceps

Decline Barbell press 265=11x's
widegrip barbell neck press 105lbs= 15 x's

nautilus side lateral 110lbs=27 x's
(one arm at a time)
standing side laterals 25lbs=15x's

close grip bench presss 195=17x's
standing overhead v bar cable extensions 70 lbs=20 x's

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

AI Sports Nutrition
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Today Cardio on empty stomach 30 minutes(warm up 5 minutes bike, interval,15 minutes cardio calves, elliptical 10 minutes) The cardio calve routine has really brought my calves up.They are not my best body part and have been stuck at 16 for years. after a few months of doing the cardio calve way they got up to 16.5. and now they are a tad over 17 flexed. (not pumped)

I highly recommend any one with wimpy calves do the cardio calves. your going to do cardio anyway so you might as well beef up the calves.

http://www.intensemuscle.com/31749-random-thoughts-dante-again-i-think-betito-wanted-me-do.html?highlight=calves

six hours later Chest Shoulders Triceps

Decline Barbell press 265=11x's
widegrip barbell neck press 105lbs= 15 x's

nautilus side lateral 110lbs=27 x's
(one arm at a time)
standing side laterals 25lbs=15x's

close grip bench presss 195=17x's
standing overhead v bar cable extensions 70 lbs=20 x's
Just a quick question. When you do cardio on a empty stomach do you ever get light headed or dizzy? Reason I ask is has happened to me from time to time. Not often but it has happened.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just a quick question. When you do cardio on a empty stomach do you ever get light headed or dizzy? Reason I ask is has happened to me from time to time. Not often but it has happened.
No Right When I do cardio on an empty stomach as soon as I get up I take very low dose stimulants,12 mgs ephedrine, 100 caffeine, with lean xtreme.In addition on the way to the gym I drink a big cup of water and while doing cardio Ill slow down every so often to drink some water.I may get in about half a gallon of water before cardio is done. usually at least 75 ounces.

and one to two times per week I substitute 12 mgs geranium in place of ephedrine.

Currently, my tolerance is low for stimulants and I use them once every other day.(yes even these low doses) I am trying to work my way up to one dose per day but I am a believer in keeping myself laid back and too much stimulation causes me to feel funny and I think that could stress me out so I am gradually working my way up.

no cardio today weights only. I am lowering calories today because of no cardio. Thats why i like cardio I can eat a bit more and the mood. but a person can achieve the same results though diet and if one can not get cardio in just lower calories if cutting

I tend to ramble on sometimes it helps get thoughts out of my head and onto paper and helps me when i write stuff out some times

Biceps, forearms, back width back thickness
Gironda ez bar curls 65 lbs=15x's
preacher barbell bar=17 x's

wide grip reverse preacher(larry scott range of motion) 35 lbs= 15 x's

assisted underhand chin up 100 lbs= 22x's
nautilus pullover 100 lbs= 17 x's

Underhand barbell rows 185=10. 225=4-6 lost count
Cable row(close grip) 105 lbs= ~ forgot to write down

back hang 60 seconds

In the past I have used much more weight but this is a higher rep phase until Jan 9th and impeccable form very slow down and explode up or visa or pull exercises. I really feel my muscles getting hammered.

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

AI Sports Nutrition
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
No Right When I do cardio on an empty stomach as soon as I get up I take very low dose stimulants,12 mgs ephedrine, 100 caffeine, with lean xtreme.In addition on the way to the gym I drink a big cup of water and while doing cardio Ill slow down every so often to drink some water.I may get in about half a gallon of water before cardio is done. usually at least 75 ounces.

and one to two times per week I substitute 12 mgs geranium in place of ephedrine.

Currently, my tolerance is low for stimulants and I use them once every other day.(yes even these low doses) I am trying to work my way up to one dose per day but I am a believer in keeping myself laid back and too much stimulation causes me to feel funny and I think that could stress me out so I am gradually working my way up.

no cardio today weights only. I am lowering calories today because of no cardio. Thats why i like cardio I can eat a bit more and the mood. but a person can achieve the same results though diet and if one can not get cardio in just lower calories if cutting

I tend to ramble on sometimes it helps get thoughts out of my head and onto paper and helps me when i write stuff out some times
Thanks I will have to try some mild stims the next time I do it.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
today 60 minutes cardio heart rate was between 110-130 if the thing read right. I really do not count heart rate much i just do the cardio and what my body tells me. If I feel I am going to hard I do not push it. This is just meant to burn calories I could do this though diet.

punthra

punthra

Awards
  • Established
In!! Sorry i haven't been on here for a bit....Keep smashing those weights bro and you'll reach your goals for sure!

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Saturday Jan 2 2010

Calves Hams Quads

Leg Press calves 3 plates on each side= 15 x's (three rest paused sets)

One legged curls+3 40 lbs= 31 x's (3 rest pauses)
(+3 is a special technique I got from the Dc inventor Dante)

smith squats all the way down 240 lbs= 10 x's, 225 = 10 x's

The 225 wore me out I almost passed out than the 240 probably needed to take deeper breathes between the set or a longer rest or both

I might put some videos on from time to time no promises though I have to learn how to use movie maker. edit clips, make nice videos

punthra

punthra

Awards
  • Established
Nice Workout!

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

AI Sports Nutrition
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Saturday Jan 2 2010

Calves Hams Quads

Leg Press calves 3 plates on each side= 15 x's (three rest paused sets)

One legged curls+3 40 lbs= 31 x's (3 rest pauses)
(+3 is a special technique I got from the Dc inventor Dante)

smith squats all the way down 240 lbs= 10 x's, 225 = 10 x's

The 225 wore me out I almost passed out than the 240 probably needed to take deeper breathes between the set or a longer rest or both

I might put some videos on from time to time no promises though I have to learn how to use movie maker. edit clips, make nice videos
Great workout bro.:)

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yesterday Chest shoulders triceps traps

Incline bench 185=12 x's
widegrip flat bench to the neck 110lbs= 13x's

Larry Scott seated db press 45 lbs= 18 x's
standing side laterals 30 lbs= 15 x's

Nautlius dip machine 260 lbs= 21 x's
standing behind the head v bar tricep extensions 75lbs= 15 x's

Traps standing db shrugs 90 lbs= 10 x's

Today biceps forearms, back width back thickness

seated db preacher curl 30 lbs= 16 x's
strait bar preacher = 15 x's

One arm reverse curl 25lbs= 20 x's

Nautilus Pullover 130 lbs= 24 x's
nautilus pullover 100 lbs= 10 x's

T bar rows 4 plates 8 x's, 4 plates=6 x's and I can heave a lot more but I focus on a slow negative and exploding up on every exercise except stuff like squats dead lifts ,and rack dead lifts.

I feel I am getting more muscle growth from the slow negative and exploding up than just lifting the weight. I'll let my body do the talking when i go on stage and I may take some videos coming in to the show just for progress.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Smeton when is the actual show?
In June there has not been a date posted.

http://www.oxbodypromotions.com/events.html

I would like to do one in Atlanta on June 5th and the super pro qualifier in Alabama since they are not that far away and these are not for certain and am not making promises I can not keep, while there is a possibly I could do these. Moreover, the only one for sure is the 2010 Nashville night of champions.

Today 45 minutes moderate-high intensity cardio

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

AI Sports Nutrition
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

I would like to do one in Atlanta on June 5th and the super pro qualifier in Alabama since they are not that far away and these are not for certain and am not making promises I can not keep, while there is a possibly I could do these. Moreover, the only one for sure is the 2010 Nashville night of champions.

I wish you the best in the contest I am sure you will do very well.:)

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Today: Chest Shoulders Triceps

Nautilus Slight Incline Pec Dec(these carve the inner chest like nothing I have ever done)
l.t. 100lbs=26 x's
t.t. 120lbs=19x's
Wide grip barbell neck press 110 lbs= 8 x's I am cutting these out feels too dangerous. will replace them with something else

Seated Smith
l.t. 135lbs=22x's
t.t. 140 lbs= 19 x's
standing side laterals 30lbs=17x's

Nautilus Triceps extension machine
100 lbs=25x's
Standing overhead tricep extensions(rope) 80 lbs=12x's

Just want to add

there really does not appear a big difference in the ranges of 12-16 % body fat for most guys. thats why a guy can put on fat in this area and fill out his shirt bigger and think it is muscle

On the other hand a guy can lose a good 10 lbs going from 16-13 % and not have it look like much. Their shirt size becomes a bit smaller(due to body fat and think they think are losing muscle) after getting under 11-12% is when it really shows. A lot of guys do not know this about the 12-16 % body fat range.

so keep up the work in this 13-16 body fat range a person may not notice much but it pays off and after they get past that 11-13% and lower the hard work really starts to show.

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

AI Sports Nutrition
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Today: Chest Shoulders Triceps

Nautilus Slight Incline Pec Dec(these carve the inner chest like nothing I have ever done)
l.t. 100lbs=26 x's
t.t. 120lbs=19x's
Wide grip barbell neck press 110 lbs= 8 x's I am cutting these out feels too dangerous. will replace them with something else

Seated Smith
l.t. 135lbs=22x's
t.t. 140 lbs= 19 x's
standing side laterals 30lbs=17x's

Nautilus Triceps extension machine
100 lbs=25x's
Standing overhead tricep extensions(rope) 80 lbs=12x's
Looks good.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Today 30 minutes cardio.

Some times I'll up cardio and some times when I am working a bit more , tied from work and need my sleep I use diet to lose body fat. I do have a plan for reducing body fat,however I do listen to my body, and I do not have to follow that plan to a t.

My plan is one more week of this fat loss/higher rep range phase followed by a complete mental break off weights and most supplements. than a week of light weight training, abdominals and cardio. Followed by a complete all out intensity phase using lower rep range for 5-6 weeks.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Awards
  • Established

Very nice!

Keep us all updated on when they set the date.

punthra

punthra

Awards
  • Established
Nice workout big man!!! I know what you mean about the neck presses they definitely scared the crap out of me as well.

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

AI Sports Nutrition
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Today 30 minutes cardio.

Some times I'll up cardio and some times when I am working a bit more , tied from work and need my sleep I use diet to lose body fat. I do have a plan for reducing body fat,however I do listen to my body, and I do not have to follow that plan to a t.

My plan is one more week of this fat loss/higher rep range phase followed by a complete mental break off weights and most supplements. than a week of light weight training, abdominals and cardio. Followed by a complete all out intensity phase using lower rep range for 5-6 weeks.
Very nice plan bro.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Very nice plan bro.
I had to abandon the plan. So it is good to have a solid plan and stick with it but I am not rigid enough to know when my body tells me to do some thing else.

I am taking the next one or two weeks off focused goal training with body building focusing on another area of life: business.

I'll be doing cardio most likely once a day for 30-45 minutes as I have to get at least some form of exercise and the deep breathing, meditation on the hold on machines beat sitting still.

I am giving myself a mental break. When I come back Ill be hitting it hard and heavy until I think my joints need a break and Ill go higher rep range(10-12)

The best rep range for building muscle in the upper body in my opinion is the 6-8 but I can not do this all the time or my joints will slowly break down. This is why from the start of this log i have been going higher rep because I was giving my joints a break from before that training phase where I failed at 6-8 reps on upper body.

lower body in my opinion higher reps work best 10-12 rep failure sometimes 15. I might go as low on something like front squats as low as 8(because of the choking)but usually not much lower.

nutrition during this time will be on track. most likely eating five times a day instead of six.

Until I am ready to train like a maniac take care

punthra

punthra

Awards
  • Established
Good Luck Man! Life has more priorities than just the weights. When you come back rested and refreshed i'm sure you'll be beating your numbers easily!!

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

AI Sports Nutrition
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I had to abandon the plan. So it is good to have a solid plan and stick with it but I am not rigid enough to know when my body tells me to do some thing else.

I am taking the next one or two weeks off focused goal training with body building focusing on another area of life: business.

I'll be doing cardio most likely once a day for 30-45 minutes as I have to get at least some form of exercise and the deep breathing, meditation on the hold on machines beat sitting still.

I am giving myself a mental break. When I come back Ill be hitting it hard and heavy until I think my joints need a break and Ill go higher rep range(10-12)

The best rep range for building muscle in the upper body in my opinion is the 6-8 but I can not do this all the time or my joints will slowly break down. This is why from the start of this log i have been going higher rep because I was giving my joints a break from before that training phase where I failed at 6-8 reps on upper body.

lower body in my opinion higher reps work best 10-12 rep failure sometimes 15. I might go as low on something like front squats as low as 8(because of the choking)but usually not much lower.

nutrition during this time will be on track. most likely eating five times a day instead of six.

Until I am ready to train like a maniac take care
Take care bro.:)

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Back after a two week break . during the break did cardio first week and cardio and light weights second week

Next 40 day's goal: Drop 3 inches off waist

current weight 237 (that is on a monday first thing in morning on an empty stomach, shoes off)

current diet I am calorie cycling some days Ill have 2,200 at the lowest and some days 3,400 at the highest. average weekly is 2,800 calories per day. I also use a juicer to get in a lot of veggies- I recommend any one get this it makes getting in vegetable so much easier and you can formulate your own by being creative(example for extra joint support carrots and spinach or carrots and celery)

Sleep: I expect to get 8-9 hours of deep sleep per night and power naps as needed.

Current Supplements: Cycle support,Vita-lea,Joint advantage, Somnidren-gh,Mus-l-blast( bcaa-glutamine peptide post training powder), pure protein, super digestive enzymes, probiotic. will add in creatine two weeks

I feel very fortunate for Anabolic Innovations sponsoring me. I buy and continuously take nac, r-ala(and theres is the best form na-rala with an added salt for it to work better )Anabolic Innovation products are helping me achieve things faster that is for sure and I feel obligated to do my best for them.

If any one wants specific information on the ingredients of anabolic innovation products feel free to email me. i have been doing this a while and have used these products and have a good knowledge base about them.

The next 5-6 weeks , if no injuries or major problems with joints, tendons ligaments, will be intense and heavy for me.

Today cardio am separate by 6-7 hours weights pm...biceps, forearms, back width back thickness

cardio was 30 minutes moderate intensity. had to get some business done at the local college today so cut it 5-15 minutes short. took a nap after the class and then trained

standing dumbell curl 40 lbs= 17 x's
strait bar preacher curl bar=20 x's
21's(cable) 50 lbs

Deadarm hammer curls 30 lbs=10 x's

Close-mid underhand grip pulldowns 170 lbs= 17 x's
(yates style)
nautilus pullover 100 lbs= 15 x's

deadlift 350=5x's, 315= 7x's
cable rows 110 lbs=15 x's

I loosened the belt a bit and it was like I was not doing them with a belt. a belt helps me move more weight. Moreover, after watching this I might incorporate not using a belt and I might not. using a belt for sure helps me move heavy weights.

use firefox, google grome always crashes on muscular development videos. its about the middle Derek Poundstone talks about how a belt can cause a bigger waist and he may have alluded to wider hips although am not sure if this is true. It is good to stay open minded and consider the words if they can be proven or they work for one.IF I find out not wearing a belt (counter intuitive) can minimize stomach verses wearing one Ill do what ever works.

http://mdtv.musculardevelopment.com/train-w-pros/2644-derek-poundstone-and-evan-centopani-pulling-deadlifts-at-golds-gym-new-haven-ct.html

again I have hit much better numbers in the past and I drop my ego and pay attention to form. (like a four or so count negative, its long)

I contribute the just moving without controlling the negative extremely heavy weights to my old elbow injury.

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

AI Sports Nutrition
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Back after a two week break . during the break did cardio first week and cardio and light weights second week

Next 40 day's goal: Drop 3 inches off waist

current weight 237 (that is on a monday first thing in morning on an empty stomach, shoes off)

current diet I am calorie cycling some days Ill have 2,200 at the lowest and some days 3,400 at the highest. average weekly is 2,800 calories per day. I also use a juicer to get in a lot of veggies- I recommend any one get this it makes getting in vegetable so much easier and you can formulate your own by being creative(example for extra joint support carrots and spinach or carrots and celery)

Sleep: I expect to get 8-9 hours of deep sleep per night and power naps as needed.

Current Supplements: Cycle support,Vita-lea,Joint advantage, Somnidren-gh,Mus-l-blast( bcaa-glutamine peptide post training powder), pure protein. will add in creatine in a week or two

I feel very fortunate for Anabolic Innovations sponsoring me. I buy and continuously take nac, r-ala(and theres is the best form na-rala with an added salt for it to work better )Anabolic Innovation products are helping me achieve things faster that is for sure and I feel obligated to do my best for them.

If any one wants specific information on the ingredients of anabolic innovation products feel free to email me. i have been doing this a while and have used these products and have a good knowledge base about them.

The next 5-6 weeks , if no injuries or major problems with joints, tendons ligaments, will be intense and heavy for me.

Today cardio am separate by 6-7 hours weights pm...biceps, forearms, back width back thickness

cardio was 30 minutes moderate intensity. had to get some business done at the local college today so cut it 5-15 minutes short. took a nap after the class and then trained

standing dumbell curl 40 lbs= 17 x's
strait bar preacher curl bar=20 x's
21's(cable) 50 lbs

Deadarm hammer curls 30 lbs=10 x's

Close-mid underhand grip pulldowns 170 lbs= 17 x's
(yates style)
nautilus pullover 100 lbs= 15 x's

deadlift 350=5x's, 315= 7x's
cable rows 110 lbs=15 x's

I loosened the belt a bit and it was like I was not doing them with a belt. a belt helps me move more weight. Moreover, after watching this I might incorporate not using a belt and I might not. using a belt for sure helps me move heavy weights.

use firefox, google grome always crashes on muscular development videos. its about the middle Derek Poundstone talks about how a belt can cause a bigger waist and he may have alluded to wider hips although am not sure if this is true. It is good to stay open minded and consider the words if they can be proven or they work for one.IF I find out not wearing a belt (counter intuitive) can minimize stomach verses wearing one Ill do what ever works.

http://mdtv.musculardevelopment.com/train-w-pros/2644-derek-poundstone-and-evan-centopani-pulling-deadlifts-at-golds-gym-new-haven-ct.html

again I have hit much better numbers in the past and I drop my ego and pay attention to form. (like a four or so count negative, its long)

I contribute the just moving without controlling the negative extremely heavy weights to my old elbow injury.
Awesome work bro!!!

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Awesome work bro!!!
Thanks Don. do you have a log going?

any input is appreciated on stuff you know that I do not.

January 26th 2010

seated Calve riases
45+25+5=11x's
one at a time seated calve raises
25lb= 10 x's

lying leg curl+3 (+3 is a special technique the inventor of Dc brought to my attention)
110lbs= 24 x's

Leg Press
5 plates and 25(on each side)= 12 x's
6 plates and 25 almost passed out , blood rush made me lose count maybe 5-8?
adduction 50 lbs= 20x's
abduction 50 lbs= 20 x's

ham and quad stretch each 45 seconds

SmallTownIron

SmallTownIron

Banned
Awards
I am tagging a long now John, keep hitting it hard!

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Cardio first thing on empty stomach 50 minutes lower intensity(stationary bike 15 ,
elliptical 35)

also did a bit of walking around my old college campus doing some business. I do not count this though

5 hours later
30 minutes cardio lower intensity all in all burnt around (elliptical)

all together today burnt 700 calories according to the machine with my weight and age.

about an hour later Ring of fire ab routine talk about flexing the abs and feeling good.

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

AI Sports Nutrition
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Cardio first thing on empty stomach 50 minutes lower intensity(stationary bike 15 ,
elliptical 35)

also did a bit of walking around my old college campus doing some business. I do not count this though

5 hours later
30 minutes cardio lower intensity all in all burnt around (elliptical)

all together today burnt 700 calories according to the machine with my weight and age.

about an hour later Ring of fire ab routine talk about flexing the abs and feeling good.
700 cals is pretty impressive.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
45 minutes cardio on empty stomach(elliptical)

6 hours later Chest shoulders triceps traps

Incline Barbell
195 lbs=10 x's rest pause
incline smith widegrip
135=17x's

arnold press
60 lbs=16x's rest pause
standing side laterals
30 lbs=15x's

close grip bench press
205=13x's rest pause
overhead triceps cable extensions
80lbs=15x's
cable ez bar widgrp pushdown
80lbs=15x's

dumbbell shrug 90 lbs=15x's

CROWLER

CROWLER

Awards
  • Established
Keep at it!

Very nice job you are putting in the work.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
We had a snow storm here in west Tennessee. Gym was closed Friday paid $5 to go to a 24 hour gym(used to go there a couple years ago so I know how to get in)

Biceps Forearms Back wdith and Thickness

Standing Ez bar gironda curls
65lbs= a lot (I did not record every thing since I use my other gym as a point of reference to beat, different equipment here)
strait bar preacher curls Bar= 15 x's

One arm cable reverse curls 30 lbs= 15 x's

close grip pulldown
170lbs=15x's
Nautilus or hammer strength pulldown machine

Underhand Barbell rows
190lbs=10 x's
225lbs=8 x's
Iso row machine ~ didnt record

lying down rear delt machine = pulled my shoulder it has been hurting since

Saturday not much walked in the snow a bit

sunday not much went sledding

Monday Calves, hamstrings, Quadriceps

leg press calves(3 rest pauses)(special technique for Dcers that have been training more than one year)
3 plates and 10 on each side=17x's
one leg seated calve raises 30 lbs=10x's

One leg curls+3 (3 rest pauses)
50 lbs=27x's

Smith Squats(no belt) down to the ground
250 lbs=10 x's
230 lbs= 10 x's

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

AI Sports Nutrition
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
We had a snow storm here in west Tennessee. Gym was closed Friday paid $5 to go to a 24 hour gym(used to go there a couple years ago so I know how to get in)

Biceps Forearms Back wdith and Thickness

Standing Ez bar gironda curls
65lbs= a lot (I did not record every thing since I use my other gym as a point of reference to beat, different equipment here)
strait bar preacher curls Bar= 15 x's

One arm cable reverse curls 30 lbs= 15 x's

close grip pulldown
170lbs=15x's
Nautilus or hammer strength pulldown machine

Underhand Barbell rows
190lbs=10 x's
225lbs=8 x's
Iso row machine ~ didnt record

lying down rear delt machine = pulled my shoulder it has been hurting since

Saturday not much walked in the snow a bit

sunday not much went sledding

Monday Calves, hamstrings, Quadriceps

leg press calves(3 rest pauses)(special technique for Dcers that have been training more than one year)
3 plates and 10 on each side=17x's
one leg seated calve raises 30 lbs=10x's

One leg curls+3 (3 rest pauses)
50 lbs=27x's

Smith Squats(no belt) down to the ground
250 lbs=10 x's
230 lbs= 10 x's
Sorry to hear about the shoulder.