1st day of wt loss diet, dropped 45lbs already

Newbie40plus

Newbie40plus

Awards
Dropped 45lbs of fat already, another 45 to go...

Used to weigh 295lbs at 6'2" with broad shoulders, very fat, mostly in gut, ass, and thighs, then all over about 42% bf. In Jan I was 285 and went keto and dropped down to 255 by mid March. Since then I started lifting weights and began a more normal diet but it got out of control the past month. I've put on some muscle in the upper body but have been taking things slow due to my age (41) and due to the fact that I have eaten like garbage for the past 20 years and have not exercised at all.

I've been using 30lb dumbbells at home and working my arms and shoulders, put on some decent muscle considering the weak workout schedule. Just got a set of 45's and 55's so I can up the intensity on my bi's and tri's, hit my traps, and also start to tone my upper back some with the 55's as well as my legs, the 30's wouldn't really do anything for those groups.

Now it's time to drop some more weight as a primary objective. This a.m. I weighed 250, prob ~ 20% bf (weighed 247.5 this eve, typically I will always be the same or more in the eve, never less). Looking to get down to 230-225lbs before changing up.
Today I had:

5:30AM
1 cup oats with 2 handfulls of blue berries
4 egg whites

8am
3 egg whites
1 tube of low fat stawberry yogurt-60calories

10:30am
4 egg whites
1 tube of the yogurt

12:30
1/2 chicken breast
1 tube yogurt

2pm
1/2 chicken breast
2 tbsp natty pb

3:30pm
casein protein shake

4-6pm casual playing in pool with 2 yr old and some neighbor kids, v. low impact exercise

6pm
8 oz fat free cottage cheese
2 tbsp natty pb

8:30pm
casein proten shake w/ 3 heaping tbsp glutamine added

4-5 16oz bottles of H2O spread out through the day (need to double that)

I need to resume my regular consumption of omega 3 fish oil and green drink powder as well as a good multi (ran out 2 wks ago). Also need to add in veggies but think I will be keeping all carbs pre ~4pm.

I could really feel the energy drain today, exhasused after playing in the pool this afternoon. Almost fell asleep on the couch, laid there 1/2 asleep for an hour.

My main protein sources will be:
egg whites
skinless chicken breast
fat free cottage cheese
and to a lesser extent canned tuna and grilled fish

I'm looking to get to ~225lbs. and then re-eval from there. Long term goal:

250lbs or so with 8% bf.

Any and all input is appreciated, especially looking for suggestions for some nutrient rich, healthy carbs I can consume in moderation during the day. I will likely be doing asparagus w/ extra virgin olive oil and steamed broccoli.

Canadianguy

Canadianguy

Awards
well by the looks of it ur taking in les than 100 grams of carbs a day.

as for adding carbs you can never go wrong with vegetables if ur trying to drop weight fast. anoter choice are yams (sweet potatoes) plainof course, very good burning carb same with brown basmati rice if u wanna throw in 1/2 a cup or 3/4 or evena whole cup (45 g carbs in whole cup cooked brown rice)

google some calorie counters man youll get some good ideas.

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
lol... I was thinking troll for sure.. but congrats and keep it up!!!

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
google some calorie counters man youll get some good ideas.
AM already has a good diet tracker. Once you add in some of your staples (my brand tuna, bread, natty pb, etc.) it's really easy to punch in your food intake for the day and get your macros back.

Now that I've gotten it setup, it takes me less than 5 minutes to get an entire day recorded. And it beats googleing (sounds funny as a verb) half the internet or fitday.com :)

Newb40, where are the chest exercises? You're building your arms, shoulders, and you're starting to work your back and legs. Just wondering if you just left em out of your post or if you haven't incorporated them yet.

Newbie40plus

Newbie40plus

Awards
AM already has a good diet tracker. Once you add in some of your staples (my brand tuna, bread, natty pb, etc.) it's really easy to punch in your food intake for the day and get your macros back.

Now that I've gotten it setup, it takes me less than 5 minutes to get an entire day recorded.

Newb40, where are the chest exercises? You're building your arms, shoulders, and you're starting to work your back and legs. Just wondering if you just left em out of your post or if you haven't incorporated them yet.
Great question. I do not have a weight bench which makes hitting the chest more difficult (and I have been working it into the rotation less often as a result, plus since I only had 30lb dumbbells until a few days ago the weight was not working my chest the way I could get it to work bi's tris, delts and anterior and posterior forearms.

Basically what I have been doing is flys (flies?) laying flat on the floor and inclined bench presses with my big abdominal exercise ball as something to prop my back up against to get the incline.

I would really like to find a miniature bench that is more or less a board with steel frame on an incline and rubber stoppers on the corners to stabilize it so I could use that for inclined bench presses and incline flies with dumbbells. Don't know if anything like that is made but it would be great for me for the next 3-4 months until I join a gym. Something that I can throw in the closet.

Newbie40plus

Newbie40plus

Awards
It's one of those things you realize afterwards.
Also if you want to edit your title, go to your 1st post, click edit --> Go Advanced --> You can edit your title from here :)
Done. Thanks :)

edited in: it only edits the mini-title inside the thread once you open it, not the name of the thread in the collum of threads when you open the wt loss forum :(

Newbie40plus

Newbie40plus

Awards
Day 2

Woke up weighing 244.5lbs

planned to be a workout day:

5:30
1 cup oats with 1/2 handful of strawberries

7:00
1 cup oats with 1/2 handful of strawberries
4 egg whites

9:30
4 egg whites
1 tube low fat yogurt (60cals)

11:15am
4 egg whites
1 tube low fat yogurt (60cals)

Came home early, feeling very tired, not sick but drained and had a weird feeling in my brain. Possibly from significant change in my diet? From big drop in carbs?

2:00pm
2 cups cooked ziti with shrimp (gift from sis in law, got it last night and saved for pre wo meal) added in 1/4 chicken breast and 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil and oregano for flavor

Still feeling very odd and tired, did not work out. Injected 500mcg vitamin B12

3:30pm
2 grilled turkey patties
1 small lettuce salad w/ extra virgin olive oil and a few spices

5:00pm
1 grilled turkey patties
finished the salad
1 green drink (2 scoops of the powder)

Weight: 247.5lbs

9:00
1 casein protein shake

This morning woke up weight: 242lbs.

Feeling conflicted about the not working out yesterday, I was very drained but not sure if I should have pushed myself.

What would be the best way for me to preserve my muscle over the next 1-2 months while loosing the most fat?

If I did not lift weights during this period would that be an option? I think I can drop much faster that way but don't want to loose muscle, or at least keep that to a min. Am not going to use AAS yet.

Should I increase my intake of casein protein from powder shakes and fat free cottage cheese? And particuar times I should take these (I know bedtime already). Oh yeah, I doubled my intake of H2O which is good.

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
If you stop lifting then you will lose muscle. The best way to maintain muscle is to lift 2-3 times a week. You may be feeling weird due to your drop in carbs. After a while your body will adjust properly.