Cardio-When Do you do yours?

MattRoeske

MattRoeske

Awards
  • Established
Now i took some time and checked out a few sites, but no i didnt cheat on AM.coms haha :p But i was reading up on the best time to do cardio for BURNING FAT because my current diet is FOCUSING on me getting to 7%! Which i will achieve, but.....

I read that mornings, are best on an empty stomache with 16-24oz of water in order to stay hydrated.

Also i read that the other best time is right after Lifting, but the only prob with that is you are facing 45 mins of running because o the apparent first 20-30's are just starting you up, to burn that fat off.

What are your opinions on this?

Also i read if you decide to bulk... WALK FOR CARDIO so you don't loose Muscle Mass. (Lil' Tip) :welcome:

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Give your body the best of both worlds. Incorporate both empty stomach and HIIT training to maximize fat loss. I personally like to do empty stomach (with a lot of BCAAs) 1-2 times a week and HIIT 2 days a week after lifting.

It is very debatable which is the best way to achieve maximum fat loss. However like my sig says, don't be concerned with burning fat while your at the gym because its pointless (so the whole 30 minutes before your burning fat after lifting is bs).

Grassroots082

Grassroots082

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Whenever I can or most convenient for me

MattRoeske

MattRoeske

Awards
  • Established
Ya i kinda of figured, that i planned on switching to running to my off days so I'll be hitting it up to 4 days a week and just do it in the morning to get that metabolism racing and since working out increases your metabolism for 24-hrs figured non stop racing metabolism would always be great, Ha It's just carb cravings that r a *****. And ALSO SCREW JEWEL/DOMINICKS lol i opend the sales page and they got all their fatty food right there.

TonySmiles

TonySmiles

Awards
I train in the early AM. I lift 5 times a week and do my cardio right after, usually 30-45 minutes. The 2 days I don't lift I just do the cardio in the early AM. This has always been a good routine for me. Sounds like overkill on the cardio, I know, but I am naturally stocky, which is GREAT for building my muscle and strength, but if I don't keep my diet in check (which I always do as of the last couple years) I gain weight by looking at food. LOL! Jewel/Dominicks eh? U from Chitown area? :)

MattRoeske

MattRoeske

Awards
  • Established
Yep I'm in chicago but i actually am changing the whole routine to a 5a day week routine one muscle grp per day - 2 off days sat /sun of HIT in mornings / and learned so much crap its redicolous, and yes def OVertTraining and Overeating protein

I got inspired By Jeff Anderson, Check out some of his books and articles, It's pretty sick how much he knows and how shows you how incorrectly alot of people do alot of things.

And Chi-Town For Life :p But i did just find a website to buy food in bulk... So maybe dominicks is going to loose my buisness buying like 25llbs of Sunflowers and Other nuts haha

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
I have to push myself 3 miles each way to and from the gym in order to lift, so I can't really say when is the best time for me, as my cardio is mostly forced. I just try to be sure to eat a meal before i leave for the gym and something with some carbs after I get there so i have energy to lift. Then I grab another snack/small meal before pushing myself back home. Sometimes, I take my wheelchair through some of the many nature trail type areas I have in my neighborhood along the way, the unpaved, sandy ground is great endurance in a wheelchair.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I, myself, wouldn't do HIIT on an empty stomach. I'd do low intensity cardio first thing and HIIT after lifting.

I'm using the cardio routine JJohn posted a while back - high incline and alternating speed every minute for a half out right after lifting.
It really gets me sweating and gets my heartrate up.

TheeBC

TheeBC

Awards
  • Established
My gf is my cardio session. period. 3-6 a week, but who knows if it causes cortisol.

MattRoeske

MattRoeske

Awards
  • Established
Lol stress causes cortisol, but physical activity and stress reduction techniques reduce that, and gf's usually cause BOTH lol

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
hmm prol 0-never, but i do play alot of basketball on nights prol 3 nights a week

StanChampion

StanChampion

Awards
  • Established
I do my cardio after every lifting session. I try and shoot for 30 minutes on the elliptical and keep my heart rate in the 145-165 range. I work out M-Sat, with Thursday being one hour of higher intensity cardio. I also take about 25 grams of BCAA, with 32oz of water immediately after I workout.

bj22

Awards
Anytime you can bring yourself to do it is fine, but ideally the best time for cardiovascular work is sometime in the late afternoon (4-6). This is when the body is most adept to cardio work as neural activation reaches its peak. I usually like to lift in the morning and do cardio in the afternoon, not necessarily on the same day.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've tried everything. HIIT, fasted cardio, mid-day cardio, etc. -

The best results I've had is doing cardio after each lifting session, and also setting aside cardio days, of course doing more than you would after a lifting session. I do 20mins of low intensity cardio after lifting, and 60minutes of cardio on my cardio days.

I have breakfast, two hours later I have a whey shake and immediately go lift which takes about an hour, and then I hit cardio. On cardio days I'll drink a shake two hours after breakfast, but wait an hour to go to the gym.

I load up on BCAAs during my workouts, too. Check out my current cutting log in the Supplement Review forum and you can see the results I've made.

Squeaks4ver

Squeaks4ver

Awards
  • Established
I am up at 4:30am and run long distance.. about 6 miles or so. Get home.. swim for 40 min.. go to work!... leave work ( pre ready for the gym) and there i do a form of HITT.. KICKS my ass but i love every min of it... doesn't give fat time to even think let alone stay on me!

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've tried everything. HIIT, fasted cardio, mid-day cardio, etc. -

The best results I've had is doing cardio after each lifting session, and also setting aside cardio days, of course doing more than you would after a lifting session. I do 20mins of low intensity cardio after lifting, and 60minutes of cardio on my cardio days.

I have breakfast, two hours later I have a whey shake and immediately go lift which takes about an hour, and then I hit cardio. On cardio days I'll drink a shake two hours after breakfast, but wait an hour to go to the gym.

I load up on BCAAs during my workouts, too. Check out my current cutting log in the Supplement Review forum and you can see the results I've made.
So IC, you not really feeling fasted cardio? If not is it out of convenience vs. benefit?

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I do it 4 days a week on my non-training days. I do 30min low/medium intensity, on an empty stomach while sipping Xtend, first thing in the morning.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I do it first thing in the am on an empty stomach

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
So IC, you not really feeling fasted cardio? If not is it out of convenience vs. benefit?
The convenience, or lack there of isn't even a factor. I'm so dedicated to this crap I'd find a way to do it if it really made that much of a difference. I don't think I've done fasted cardio since early March. I just don't find it necessary or worth the effort. As I mentioned, the only thing that has been in my stomach since the breakfast I eat about 5 hours before my workout is one scoop of whey. I feel it's close enough to "fasted" as it needs to be.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
i go running first thing in the morning for about 20 mins. lift later that evening, then low intensity cardio after the workout for at least 30 mins. hasn't hurt me strength wise as of yet.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
i go running first thing in the morning for about 20 mins. lift later that evening, then low intensity cardio after the workout for at least 30 mins. hasn't hurt me strength wise as of yet.
Alright B - who took over your account? Some 130 lbs kid from VaBeach or what?

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
lol, add exactly 100lbs and move west about 90 mins. ;)