whats up with protine and weightloss

offr85

Awards
How many sevings per day is ok when trying to cut weight.

my protine-

nitroech &
eggwhites international, soo im getting alot of protine. should i cut back on the shakes to cut weight. Im eating small healthy meals throughout the day. as well as high intensity weights and cardio.

Link24

Awards
  • Established
I would say shoot for Minimum of 255grams of protein ,but you could probably go as high as 400+gram for your weight. I would try to get as much of it whole foods as possible. What do your other Macros look like?

offr85

Awards
I would say shoot for Minimum of 255grams of protein ,but you could probably go as high as 400+gram for your weight. I would try to get as much of it whole foods as possible. What do your other Macros look like?

macros?

witt51

witt51

Awards
  • Established
are you adding more protien to the nutri system program? i am not sure exactly what the program consist of. if you are you are kind of defeating the purpose of the program.

Kevf

Kevf

Awards
Protein is great for cutting! Not only does it protect you from muscle-loss, protein from food (not powder) is very thermic.

Meaning that your body needs a lot of energy just digesting/using the protein. (I believe 30 kcal for every 100 kcal)

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think from reading as low as .8g/lb is enough if you are just trying to maintain existing muscle, and not doing high intensity lifting.

witt51

witt51

Awards
  • Established
ya but if he is using a design program that already has his calories figured out then if is supplementing extra protien he might not be in a calorie deficit anymore. if he is going to supplement more protien he needs to cut down his carbs. i dont know how much he knows about dieting if he didnt even know what macro's were( no offense OP).

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
true, but he is 250lbs, and i'm banking on the fact that nutrisystem doesn't provide all that much in calories a day

witt51

witt51

Awards
  • Established
ya i agree with that also. the best advice is to read the label and get back to us and let us know what he is consuming. i know if i paid for that system i wouldnt mess around with it too much. if you dont know what you are doing it could turn into a waste of money IMO.

offr85

Awards
are you adding more protien to the nutri system program? i am not sure exactly what the program consist of. if you are you are kind of defeating the purpose of the program.
ya but i should not feel like passng out at the end of the day though. my energy levels dropped so much. it was effecting my productivity at work as well as my workouts. and i replaced the snacks with the shakes. i didnt add it on...
ive been gaining alot of muscle mass this last month, as well as sliming down. its not hard for me to see gains as long as i keep at it. im just trying to loose the baby fat.
i always have high intensity workouts. but this past month is the first time ive really looked into my dieting. ive always been the type to clean out buffets with my footballbuddys. soo ya im really new at this, so i appreciate the help. im still learning about proper intake and stuff like that so any info is cool.
sorry i didnt get back to yall earlyer but theres been no time.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah, i'm guessing it comes to 1800 cal a day, something low like that. definitely need to get the total calorie count at least, even if not the whole macro breakdown. truthfully you can do better yourself for less money if you take some time to plan + prep

witt51

witt51

Awards
  • Established
i totally agree. plus you can have more freedom with what you eat instead what someone picks out for you. too bad we cant get his bf% and weight. if he is exetremely overweight i would cut calories higher for three days then do calories at maintenance for one day. that would be my plan of attack

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
or do the velocity diet style for a month. that is some crazy stuff but it works

witt51

witt51

Awards
  • Established
or do the velocity diet style for a month. that is some crazy stuff but it works
Depending on his experience i would try something easy to understand and stick to.

Easy, are you doing th velocity diet now? i read one of your threads about comparing that to evry other day fasting.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i'm doing a relative to it. more or less similar caloric structure, just more solid food. so between 1200-1500 cal a day, still hitting 200g of protein total a day. a lot of egg whites, fish, chicken breast, etc. about 1/2-2/3 of the protein is from shakes

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ah heres some info

The Nutrisystem diet is based around the glycemic index. They have options for men, women, diabetics, and vegetarians. Typical daily calorie amounts will vary from 1200 to 1500, and each days food consists of 3 meals and 2 snacks. The macro-nutrient ratios are approximately 55% carbohydrates, 25% protein and 20% fats. The have 2 additional programs for women and men over 60 - the only difference here is the addition of one months supply of a multivitamin-mineral.

witt51

witt51

Awards
  • Established
ya but i should not feel like passng out at the end of the day though. my energy levels dropped so much. it was effecting my productivity at work as well as my workouts. and i replaced the snacks with the shakes. i didnt add it on...
ive been gaining alot of muscle mass this last month, as well as sliming down. its not hard for me to see gains as long as i keep at it. im just trying to loose the baby fat.
i always have high intensity workouts. but this past month is the first time ive really looked into my dieting. ive always been the type to clean out buffets with my footballbuddys. soo ya im really new at this, so i appreciate the help. im still learning about proper intake and stuff like that so any info is cool.
sorry i didnt get back to yall earlyer but theres been no time.

sorry bud i didnt see that you responded. if you have a lack of energy i would add in a complex carb source in one of your snacks. alot of people like to cut carbs and add protein and that really diminishes your energy level. IMO i would take in the right amount of carbs so your body will not have to utilize protein for energy. this will keep the protein for muscle recuperation. there are so many approaches to dieting and so many different opinions.

witt51

witt51

Awards
  • Established
hmm. doesnt the glycemic index of a carb food change when adding protein and fat to it.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah, so I ignore the GI now. well, not totally ignore it, but realize that the numbers you see for something may not be relevant when its eaten with anything else.

offr85

Awards
so im guessing i would repace a early afternoon snack (before lunch) with a complex carb source and replace the afternoon snack with my post workout drink (lunchtime workouts)

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah, and if the calories I posted are close to right, adding a few protein shakes isn't a problem at your size, in fact its a good idea. not muscle milk, but low fat low carb protein.

offr85

Awards
yeah, and if the calories I posted are close to right, adding a few protein shakes isn't a problem at your size, in fact its a good idea. not muscle milk, but low fat low carb protein.
awsome. i appreiciate it..im using nitrotech right now but soon ill be looking for another brand. ive always used muscle tech in the past. ive just recently started looking at the supplament facts. alot of different stuff out there
:thumbsup:

witt51

witt51

Awards
  • Established
so im guessing i would repace a early afternoon snack (before lunch) with a complex carb source and replace the afternoon snack with my post workout drink (lunchtime workouts)

that sounds good. pay attention to your energy level and see if this helps. i think you are on a good track