Cardio in the AM???

nparisi

nparisi

Awards
  • Established
Hey what's up everyone? I love this site, this is my first post but I've been reading tons of great info on here for a while.

I am about to start cutting, and I'm not sure whether or not to run first thing in the morning. I know its the best for weight loss to do it on an empty stomach, but won't that cause muscle loss?

I'm pretty concerned with keeping as much muscle as I can because I have a hard time gaining, I've always been tall and lanky for the most part. I'm up to 205 now, probably at around 12 or 13% BF and 6'2", 21 years old. I've been lifting for about 4 years, with a 6 month break around 05, but seriously lifting probably only the past year and a half.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, also what do most of you find are good supplements during cutting? I am finishing up a cycle of X Factor I have about 18 days left, then I will begin cutting. Thanks dudes!

Saurabh

Awards
I am about to start cutting, and I'm not sure whether or not to run first thing in the morning. I know its the best for weight loss to do it on an empty stomach, but won't that cause muscle loss?
Dont run at all, period.

With your weight(200 pounds) you will keep landing heavy on your knees and not only will you lose muscle but also have problems later on if you relish squats.

Do stationary bikes instead. Or elliptical machines. The key is to go at moderate speed for 35-45 minutes. Dont go fast and furious for 10-15 minutes and be done.

Also have some BCAAs like Xtend or Purple Wrath in between since you would be on empty tummy.

Good luck.

nparisi

nparisi

Awards
  • Established
Thanks bro...So is it best doing it first thing in the morning if I'm most concerned about muscle loss? I don't care if the cut takes a bit longer..

Hoopie

Hoopie

Awards
I take in bcaa's first thing in the morning prior to my cardio. BCAA's stave off catabolism while doing cardio on an empty stomch

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
I do cardio in the AM twice a week and have little/no adverse affects (or effects?.) All you have to be sure to do is keep your heart rate at around 70% of its max (so 130bpm) and if funds allow ingest bcaas prior/during/after (30 grams over the 45 min session is what I like to do.) If you were to do 2 30-45 min esssions of empty stomach you'll be fine. If your worried about loosing muscle just be very in tune with the mirror, lifts, and overall feelings (if your loosing muscle you'll know it.)

As for not running at all I don't know where that came from. I'm 220 and when its warm I do my cardio as running via HIIT and empty stomach along with tennis, basketball, football and so on. If you have access to accomplish your cardio outside it would be fine and your knees won't be shot.

nparisi

nparisi

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the replies, appreciate it. Running in the morning would be much easier than going to the gym. There's a trail right by my house...

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the replies, appreciate it. Running in the morning would be much easier than going to the gym. There's a trail right by my house...
Hell ya man, I hate wasting gas driving to the gym to do only cardio. So now regardless of temperature I go jogging. Just remember do not go all out running, jog and keep your heart rate at a reasonable rate. It can be hard to restrain yourself running but just be aware of it.

nparisi

nparisi

Awards
  • Established
Hell ya man, I hate wasting gas driving to the gym to do only cardio. So now regardless of temperature I go jogging. Just remember do not go all out running, jog and keep your heart rate at a reasonable rate. It can be hard to restrain yourself running but just be aware of it.
Haha I should be able to restrain myself...I can get lazy when I run...