Digestion first thing in the morning...

1. Jcc
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.64%

Digestion first thing in the morning...

Without giving details, let's just say that a good majority of my breakfast is 'wasted' 10-15 minutes later.

I'm rarely hungry in the morning when I wake up, so I force feed myself usually with a shake including protein powder, milk, oatmeal, and a bit of flax. And then it's off to the bathroom I go.

I've tried solid food like eggs, etc, etc... no better. The only thing I can seem to stomach first thing is a bit of oatmeal. Not exactly an anabolic kick-start I need in the A.M.

Any ideas why I can't seem to stomach my protein at the time when I need it the most?

2. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.02%

how late are you eating at night? did you try having protein shake with water instead of milk? go easy on the flax in the AM. I'm not a fan of mixing carbs and fats
  3. Jcc
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.64%

If I drink a simple whey and water shake first thing upon waking, within 5-10 minutes you'll never see a man run faster to the bathroom. Okay, exaggerating... but still, it's like I reject protein in the morning or something.

This is with a meal or shake at around midnight, then waking up at 8 or 9.
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.07%

You do realize that it couyld be the midnight shake comin out and not the morning shake. Even with the runs it should take food 20-30 minutes to pass through your intestines.
  5. BMZ
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.85%

Originally posted by maggmaster
    You do realize that it couyld be the midnight shake comin out and not the morning shake. Even with the runs it should take food 20-30 minutes to pass through your intestines.
    yeah that's what I was gonna say bro, it's probably your late meal from the night before...

the body is programmed that way...when you eat it is programmed to excrete to make room for the food coming....
    at least that's what I read about.

I don't know bro I guess I would suggest some milk for the casein to slow it down some......
  6. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.97%

I think everyone's right - you're not wasting your breakfast, your breakfast is just triggering your digestive tract. The effect is most pronounced in babies, they're usually grunting before you can even get them out of the high chair! If that's not the reason, could it be your protein? Are you using whey concentrate or isolate? If I try to use concentrate, I get bloated and sometimes get 'the runs'.
  7. Jcc
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.64%

Doubtful. Sometimes I take my protein immediately upon waking, sometimes I've tried waiting an hour. Like clockwork, things go into motion after I eat my protein.

This morning I tried eating oatmeal alone first thing in the morning. Nothing. I waited almost two hours before downing a protein shake, and bam! Off I went to the bathroom.

It's not just whey. I usually use an egg and casein mix from Protein Customizer. Anyways, this sucks. I was reading the thread about bromelain for protein digestion, and that sounded like an interesting idea...
  8. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.35%

Wink

Are you having diarrhea? if not, it's from the previous meal the night before.
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.6%

I have trouble with my bowel movements. I don't crap every day, more like every 3 days or so. And it's not exactly a clean BM either, it requires a lot of toilet paper to wipe if you catch my drift. And it's a lot. It clogs up the toilet more than half the time.

I told the doctor and she said that it's normal that I don't go everyday. Most people go between 1-7 days. I don't trust a woman doc. A

Any advice guys?
  10. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.35%

Thumbs up

It's not the lady doctor that's wrong, but modern medicine. Unfortunately, modern medicine can't explain many problems/symptoms/diseases, and their treatments(drugs and surgery) usually only masks symptoms w/o treating the cause.

Obviously, for a person like you who eats alot to build muscle, going to the bathroom every 3 days is not normal. have you had this all your life? seems like something is out of balance. don't you agree?

Ever try holistic medicine? i would highly recommend a good acupuncturist to get your body into the right balance. i've seen so many good results with IBS(irritable bowel syndrome). i know yours is not IBS, but it's similar in that your body organs are outta whack. you can try drugs or laxatives the rest of your life or go get treated right by an acupuncturist. good health is up to you!
  11. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.64%

Originally posted by Ibench800
    I have trouble with my bowel movements. I don't crap every day, more like every 3 days or so. And it's not exactly a clean BM either, it requires a lot of toilet paper to wipe if you catch my drift. And it's a lot. It clogs up the toilet more than half the time.

I told the doctor and she said that it's normal that I don't go everyday. Most people go between 1-7 days. I don't trust a woman doc. A

Any advice guys?
    Sounds like you don't get enough fiber.
  12. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.27%

Jcc : what you are signaling your body as you take that shake and food is that more food is coming so it has to eliminate what has passed through the intestines, is a very normal thing and you shouldn't worry about it.
  13. Jcc
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.64%

All who mentioned it as 'making way' for new food... were dead on. False alarm.

I'll just resign myself to taking care of business 3-4 times a day.
  14. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.81%

For the last 6 or 7 years, I used to go through a a half dozen Sam's Club size box of L-Loperamide every year, but about eight months ago I found a combination that's a lot more natural and healthier. I take 1 tablespoon of psyllium husks with my morning shake, and 1 tablespoon of psyllium husks with my bedtime shake. Additionally, I take one digestive enzyme capsule with shakes and sometimes with meals.

As far as cost goes:
    - I use Trader Joes's Psyllium Husks and it costs me $3.99 per month.
    - Twinlab Super Enzymes and it costs me $9.66 per month if I take a 4 per day.

~Todd
  15. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.23%

Originally posted by tatortodd
    For the last 6 or 7 years, I used to go through a a half dozen Sam's Club size box of L-Loperamide every year, but about eight months ago I found a combination that's a lot more natural and healthier. I take 1 tablespoon of psyllium husks with my morning shake, and 1 tablespoon of psyllium husks with my bedtime shake. Additionally, I take one digestive enzyme capsule with shakes and sometimes with meals.

As far as cost goes:
    - I use Trader Joes's Psyllium Husks and it costs me $3.99 per month.
    - Twinlab Super Enzymes and it costs me $9.66 per month if I take a 4 per day.

~Todd
    This is exactly what I do, with the phsyllium husks. Mostly with the bedtime shake, but sometimes morn or mid-day. I just stumbled on to digestive enzymes and have been using them for about 2 wks. I use NOWs super enzymes and really seem to be helping out. I was suffering from bubble guts and excessive gas after every meal. I still get some gas but not as much as before.
  16. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.68%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Digestive enzymes are a good sent. Increase your EFAS will help as well. plus you may want to do a colon flush with a product containing natural herbs.

Similar Forum Threads

1. BCAA's first thing in the morning
    By chainsaw in forum Supplements
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-20-2013, 05:27 PM
  2. Fasting before cardio first thing in the morning.
    By FATGUY in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-16-2010, 02:53 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-03-2010, 09:30 AM
  4. Question about running first thing in the morning
    By jimmbow in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-14-2009, 03:06 PM
  5. CARDIO* first thing in the morning
    By Tom 185 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 17