caffeine and creatine

1. Registered User
    Answers

caffeine and creatine

Although caffeine clears the body quickly, how large of a window is enough, so that the caffeine i consumed previously does not hinder the efficiency and efficacy of the creatine. If i am drinking approximately three cups of coffee at 8:30 am and then take 5 grams of creatine at 7:30pm, will the effects of the creatine be impeded by the caffeine i previously consumed? thanks.

2. Registered User
    Answers

Caffeine half-life is 4 hours.

If you're taking your creatine for the volumization properties of creatine, you shouldn't worry about timing. Caffeine has been shown to not affect muscle Cr uptake or the volumization effect of Cr.

If you're taking your creatine for strength, then you need to worry about timing and such. Give yourself at least the four hours, although I've never seen any papers that had the creatine and caffeine dosages administered at different times. I don't know if the strength benefits of"creatine would still be hindered, and I don't think anyone can really tell you for sure because it hasn't been stuided yet.
  3. Registered User
    Answers
    •   

4. rollin' on dubs!
    Stats
    5'9"  178 lbs.
    Answers

interesting... i thought that was just a legend. i remember PA dispelling this awhile back with some science that i didnt fully understand. if this is true, then a lot of companies are making half-ass supplements by combining the two.
  5. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by WannaBeHulk View Post
    interesting... i thought that was just a legend. i remember PA dispelling this awhile back with some science that i didnt fully understand. if this is true, then a lot of companies are making half-ass supplements by combining the two.
    I have no idea if it is true...but it is interesting.
  6. Registered User
    Answers

Thread almost 4 yrs old. Was it bumped b/c of article? I would be interested in PA's thoughts.
  7. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by yeahright View Post
    I have no idea if it is true...but it is interesting.
    The study had several aspects that challenge its relevance to bodybuilding...

1) Exercise protocol isn't directly applicable:

"The exercise consisted of three consecutive maximal isometric contractions and three interval series of 90, 80, and 50 maximal voluntary contractions performed with a rest interval of 2 min between the series."

50-90 reps per set (1st series done isometrically), nah. not applicable to BB.

2) The protocol was carried out after a 6 day loading phase. This means that if caffeine indeed interfered with the creatine loading process, then it would simply be a matter of time (perhaps another week or so) before the creatine + caffeine group's creatine stores became saturated & thus on a level playing field with the creatine only group.

3) The study is over 10 years old & its results haven't been replicated. In essence, it's a one-hit wonder to be taken with a grain of salt.

4) In habitual caffeine users, you're already starting at baseline by virtue of your body being accustomed to caffeine. Therefore, any potential antagonism between creatine & caffeine would be minimal. But again, once your tissue stores are saturated with creatine @ appx 160 mmol/kg, I doubt any amount of caffeine would negatively influence performance, because you're already loaded.
  8. Board Supporter
    Answers

I use the two pre-workout with success. In my view that was a poor study. Until there is more science, I say using em together is fine.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-22-2010, 01:43 PM
  2. AAS, PH, and creatine
    By baham99 in forum Cycle Info
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-23-2006, 09:22 AM
  3. Two questions....M1T and M5AA and creatine post w/o
    By hardlyworkin in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-20-2004, 02:41 PM