Fat loss!!!!

inyearstocome

inyearstocome

Awards
I have been thinking the past week and decided i need to do something to lose some fat...the focus areas I want to lose from are my legs and ass. I was wondering what the best way for a GUY to do this. Im willing to do almost anything including morning empty stomach cardio at 6:00 before school. I was wondering if this is the best way to lose fat or is there something else?

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I, personally, like doing morning fasted cardio. However, it wont do much good unless you get your diet in check, so I suggest you do that along with adding cardio. Also, don't focus on specific places you want to lose fat. The places you hold the most fat are often where you will hold on to it the longest. Don't get discouraged if you're not seeing dramatic changes in your problem areas right away.

inyearstocome

inyearstocome

Awards
my diet is good. consists of 5 meals around 30g protein every 2 hours intake but also is high in carbs and calories since I go to the gym 5 days a week

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
i recently read a new study that said you can actually spot reduce.

it said that if on a calorie deficit you increase bloodflow through exercise to tissue areas that you wish to burn fat it will actually speed fat reduction in those areas.

it was an interesting read that kind of refuted some of the early thoughts that spot reduction was a myth.

for your legs and ass - jogging seems like a perfect activity. or maybe do some squats and then a jog.

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
if you are really trying to be aggressive and burn fat i believe you need at least 40min to 1hr of cardio 4-6 days per week.

it sucks at first but you eventually start to enjoy it. it seems to take me 2 weeks of hating-it that i have to push through before i'm in a rhythm.

once i'm happy w/my bf levels, i ease off to just a couple of cardio sessions per week to maintain.

but remember cardio won't do sh!t for fat loss if you are not in a calorie deficit.

inyearstocome

inyearstocome

Awards
welll.....i used to be a runner so im used to it. I think i will just run 45 and try to increase. I'm on cycle right now also do you know how can I keep my mass and gains up while losing fat? and what do you mean by calorie deficit

munique

Awards
re: calorie deficit

it means that your total calorie intake is below your total calorie expenditure.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
i recently read a new study that said you can actually spot reduce.

it said that if on a calorie deficit you increase bloodflow through exercise to tissue areas that you wish to burn fat it will actually speed fat reduction in those areas.

it was an interesting read that kind of refuted some of the early thoughts that spot reduction was a myth.

for your legs and ass - jogging seems like a perfect activity. or maybe do some squats and then a jog.
If you are referring to the study that I think you are, it was basically worthless. All it said was that muscles can source energy locally during exercise. There was no data collected on how it affected fat distribution over the long term. Yes it may be possible to lose a few grams of fat around a target muscle but once you eat your next meal your body is likely going to put fat back wherever is necessary to maintain your genetic fat distribution.

drewh10987

drewh10987

Awards
  • Established
Being on cycle helps with a cut because help insure you maintain or even gain muscle.

I know you said your diet is good, but how about posting your diet up so we can take a look.

inyearstocome

inyearstocome

Awards
alright today....my diet was

breakfast - cheerios and protein shake with milk
snack - nasty nut bar, and some more mixed nuts and almonds
lunch - 2 pb & J sandwitches, peaches, and one of those 100 calorie packs of doritos
after school snack - pasta with cheese, protein shake
GYM
after gym - 2 bbq chicken sandwitches on wheat bun, protein shake
dinner - more chicken and some chicken taquitos

thats about what i get every day

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
alright today....my diet was

breakfast - cheerios and protein shake with milk
snack - nasty nut bar, and some more mixed nuts and almonds
lunch - 2 pb & J sandwitches, peaches, and one of those 100 calorie packs of doritos
after school snack - pasta with cheese, protein shake
GYM
after gym - 2 bbq chicken sandwitches on wheat bun, protein shake
dinner - more chicken and some chicken taquitos

thats about what i get every day
Apparently we have different definitions of a "good diet" for fatloss.

inyearstocome

inyearstocome

Awards
well my number 1 priority is to gain but id like to lose some fat also. is this possible?

munique

Awards
up your protein
drop your carbs
maintain fat around 20%
use some program to calculate your macros and daily intake

inyearstocome

inyearstocome

Awards
up your protein
drop your carbs
maintain fat around 20%
use some program to calculate your macros and daily intake
any suggestions on what to substitute to drop my carbs?

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
One last thing I'd like to point out is that not all calories are equal. Just because you are eating X amount of carbs/proteins/fats a day, does not mean you are necessarily eating the right TYPES of each that are the best for your goals.

inyearstocome

inyearstocome

Awards
One last thing I'd like to point out is that not all calories are equal. Just because you are eating X amount of carbs/proteins/fats a day, does not mean you are necessarily eating the right TYPES of each that are the best for your goals.
what do you think I will get out of the carbs/proteins/fats i take in?

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
what do you think I will get out of the carbs/proteins/fats i take in?
Everybody's body reacts differently, but if I were eating your diet, I would most likely put on some fat. All I'm saying is that eating better quality foods are more efficient, IMO, for quality gains or fat loss.

inyearstocome

inyearstocome

Awards
can you tell me what some quality foods are, my parents are willing to buy almost anything for me

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Do some searching around and reading about Complex Carbohydrates, Essential Fatty Acids(EFAs), and complete protein sources.

csunkramer

csunkramer

Awards
the 100 cal pacls of doritos may just have 100 cals buuuut look at the fat grams. if i recall the doritos are pretty high up there. watch out for the fat cals, theyll kill ya

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
change your work outs as well, interval training helps, when it rains here on the East Coast I hit the gym, treadmill, run 2 mins, walk 1, run 3 mins walk 1, always keep it going, when its nice out (I love the fall )...I run (well jog) at the track....

Also althought peanut butter is good fat (kind of)......its high in it, almond butter? and why two sandwiches?? One?

Just some thoughts..........

TC

Socrates44

Socrates44

Awards
  • Established
This diet advice is coming from a fat guy but your lunch is pretty bad. You always or should try to avoid carbs and fats (unless they are like EVOO or natty pb) together.

Pick either fat to go with your protein, or carbs to go. Take out the jelly in those sandwiches, and use natty pb and some sugar-free jelly. Make sure your bread is high-fiber and as un-processed as possible. (drop the doritos high in carbs and fat=bad combo).

After-school snack take out the cheese and use a vinagarette.(with EVOO) on the pasta and eat the bbq chicken without the bun before your workout. and have some fruit like (pineapple or a banana with your protein shake after workout).

15 min before bed eat a handful of almonds with 4% milkfat cottage cheese.

Just some things to switch.

You are eating three shakes a day, there are a lot of preservatives in shakes, dont underestimate the power of natural food.

buildmeup

Awards
I, personally, like doing morning fasted cardio. However, it wont do much good unless you get your diet in check, so I suggest you do that along with adding cardio. Also, don't focus on specific places you want to lose fat. The places you hold the most fat are often where you will hold on to it the longest. Don't get discouraged if you're not seeing dramatic changes in your problem areas right away.
I agree cardio is a great way to lose weight.. you should check out http://www.findyourdetour.com/activityhome/0,,102-000.html for some great cardio tips and ideas... you'd be surprised how many different types of cardio exercises there are..

ClintCanada

can you tell me what some quality foods are, my parents are willing to buy almost anything for me
Here are some quality foods and a couple of tips:
Cottage Cheese (contains casein protein which stays in your system for longer periods than whey -- perfect for before bed at which time you fast for several hours and enter a catabolic state) it also contains glutamine
Eggs, Turkey and Chicken are good lean sources of protein so is Tuna but don't stick to exclusively Tuna which is high in mercury
Whey protein gets into your system fast -- this is ideal first thing in the morning (most important meal of the day)
2nd most important meal of the day is post workout within a 1/2 hr -- you need both protein and carbs -- a simple idea here is a whey protein shake with a package of instant unsweetened oatmeal for carbs (you want protein + carbs)
try to eat 6 or 7 small meals per day with approx 30 grams of protein in each meal
you've gotta cut your calories but maintain protein so when you research this and do the math you'll realize that you can't afford to be eating junk like doritos
a couple of meal examples are:
-250g of no fat cottage cheese and an apple OR banana
-whey protein shake with package of oatmeal (instant unsweetened)
-8oz chicken with a salad OR rice OR vegetable
-dry whole grain toast with 2 or 3 eggs

ClintCanada

Morning cardio is efficient because first thing in the morning (you haven't eaten for several hours) you've been in a catabolic state and have burnt allot or all of your stored glycogen (energy) in your muscles. You'll burn glycogen and THEN fat in that order, so if you do cardio immediately, they say you can burn fat immediately . . . however don't get hung up on cardio . . .
Ultimately what has to happen as mentioned is you need a calorie deficit. The most EFFICIENT way to lose fat is to do an activity that will burn calories AND increase your metabolism when you aren't exercising and this can be achieved by increasing you muscle mass (you need to be pumping iron -- and working ALL muscles groups not just your legs and ass)
Cardio burns calories as well, but hour for hour, weight training is more efficient (if you have TIME do both) -- read this article on T-nation -- its one of the best

TESTOSTERONE NATION - The Hierarchy of Fat Loss

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Admin Articles 1
Weight Loss 8
Evomuse 3
Wimsicle Supplements 30
JN230 Evomuse 8