Extreme cutter -- lost 15 lbs in six weeks - AnabolicMinds.com

Extreme cutter -- lost 15 lbs in six weeks

1. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'6"  260 lbs.
    Answers

Extreme cutter -- lost 15 lbs in six weeks

About five or six months ago I decided I needed to finally get lean, so I started eating 'cleaner' and doing more cardio. But, I went through a long spell where I was on a seemingly never-ending plateau and I didn't really lose any bodyfat for three to four months. I was doing cardio for 45-plus minutes, five to six days a week. My diet was very clean with no junk (except for one or two diet sodas a day) and lots of vegetables and lean protein.

The truth was, for me at least, that my calories weren't low enough to be burning fat. Even at a weight of 235 - 240 and averaging about 2500 to 2700 calories a day, I still wasn't losing fat. Everybody is different (and I am 40 years old), but even with an average caloric deficit of about 800 - 1000 calories a day I wasn't getting results.

As someone who has worked to build muscle for many years, it is hard to think about going too low in calories and losing hard-earned muscle in an effort to burn fat. After this long period of plateau I just said, "Aw, screw it!" and decided to dramatically lower my calories even if it meant losing some lean mass as well.

I tried to be smart about it though. Instead of just lowering my calories down to a certain level each day, I decided to 'cycle' my really low calorie days. Basically, every second or third day would be a really low (for me) calorie day, eating about 1200 to 1400 calories. The "higher" calorie days would still be low at around 1600 to 1800 calories. Then, one day a week, I'd allow myself to have around 2500 - 3000 calories and I might also have a second 'high' calorie day of about 2000.

Here's what a typical week has looked like for me with this approach:

Mon: 1200 cal
    Tue: 1800 cal
    Wed: 1700 cal
    Thu: 1400 cal
    Fri: 2900 cal
    Sat: 2000 cal
    Sun: 1600 cal

I have never in my adult life (and I mean NEVER) gone this low with calories before. At my weight, the above would have seemed like a "starvation" diet to me. But, I was determined to burn bodyfat even if it meant losing some muscle. In the past 6 weeks I have lost 15 pounds. To my surprise, I don't think I have lost any significant lean mass. I think this was possible because of my cycling the calories up and down, especially allowing myself that one day a week of up to 3000 calories (NOTE: when I was in my 20's I probably averaged about 4000 to 5000 calories a day -- ahh, those were the days!).

So, I would recommend people who've been trying to get leaner without much success consider cycling calories up and down throughout the week -- it may not work for you, but it has worked great for me.

The one or two high calorie days keep your body from going into starvation mode and are great for your sanity. Those can also be the nights you go out to dinner, allow yourself some alcohol, etc. Your glycogen stores will be replenished and those are the best days to do heavy lifting.

Needless to say, on the really low calorie days you burn a boatload of bodyfat. ;-)

Keys to success for me:

1) Writing down everything I eat and tracking the calories. I use a program called FitDay which makes it easier and also tracks calories eaten vs burned, % of carbs/fats/ protein, and a bunch of other data that can be very helpful.

2) I have been eating a lot of vegetables -- broccoli, green beans, spinach, salads, and carrots. Sweet potatoes (a.k.a Yams) are a super low-glyceminc carb that I never really ate a lot in the past but are now a staple for me.

3) For breakfast I've been loving Bob's Red Mill Oatmeal each day.

4) Except for the one or two higher calorie days, have only lean protein. That mean's good-bye beef and hamburger. I've been eating a lot of turkey, chicken breasts, haddock, and sometimes salmon.

5) I have a tbsp a day of either flaxseed oil or cod liver oil. It tastes pretty good once you get used to it ... really.

6) I've completely eliminated diet soda from my diet. That was a really bad habit ... even if itís zero calories, I think it gets in the way of optimum health and fat-burning. I replaced all the soda I was drinking with water.

FWIW, Iíve been averaging roughly the 40/30/30 ratio for carbs/fats/protein. I havenít been shooting for that ĎZoneí ratio, but thatís how itís worked out.

For people who are younger, the diet I used is probably too low -- so you'd want to eat a bit more. Also, if using gear or pro-hormones then you'd obviously eat more. The basic concept of cycling the calories up and down throughout the week I think is the key point I'm trying to convey.

2. New Member
    Answers

Where can I get FitDay? And did you have to pay for it?
  3. New Member
    Answers

fitday.com its free
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"   lbs.
    Answers

www.fitday.com

There are both a free and paid version.

ltyson
  5. Board Supporter
    Answers

Even at a weight of 235 - 240 and averaging about 2500 to 2700 calories a day, I still wasn't losing fat. Everybody is different (and I am 40 years old), but even with an average caloric deficit of about 800 - 1000 calories a day I wasn't getting results.

Just for your reference at 40 yrs and 240lbs

Your Basal (basic resting life support) Metabolic rate is about 2000 cal per day

Add in an moderate active to active lifestyle it would be about 2,700 to 3,000 total.

So your average of 2500-2700 was not very far below your requirements for break even, if at all. Certianly not 1,000 below.

Now you are averaging about 1,800 per day which would be about 1,000 per day or about 7,000 per week.

At 3,500 per pound 7,000 a week would be about 2 lbs per week which is almost exactly what you did. A little fast, but not too bad for a short period. Extend this for several more weeks without a break and I'll bet you see more LBM go away.

There are many calorie requirement calculators on the internet that let you plug in your personal info.
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'6"  260 lbs.
    Answers

FitDay does calculate calories burned each day based on my height, weight, average activity level, plus any additional activities that are added. So if I burned 600 calories on the treadmill in 45 minutes, it doesn't just add 600 calories to my amount burned for the day but adds the difference between what was burned exercising (600) and whatever I would have burned just being sedentary during that time. It's a nice program (I have the PC version, which costs $29.95).

Blzr, your numbers must be about right because I wasn't losing before so I couldn't have been averaging much of a caloric deficit. I may have been overestimating calories burned some and underestimating what I was eating some as well.

I also agree that if I continue the approach from the past six weeks that LBM will start coming off.

Quote Originally Posted by blzr View Post
    Even at a weight of 235 - 240 and averaging about 2500 to 2700 calories a day, I still wasn't losing fat. Everybody is different (and I am 40 years old), but even with an average caloric deficit of about 800 - 1000 calories a day I wasn't getting results.

Just for your reference at 40 yrs and 240lbs

Your Basal (basic resting life support) Metabolic rate is about 2000 cal per day

Add in an moderate active to active lifestyle it would be about 2,700 to 3,000 total.

So your average of 2500-2700 was not very far below your requirements for break even, if at all. Certianly not 1,000 below.

Now you are averaging about 1,800 per day which would be about 1,000 per day or about 7,000 per week.

At 3,500 per pound 7,000 a week would be about 2 lbs per week which is almost exactly what you did. A little fast, but not too bad for a short period. Extend this for several more weeks without a break and I'll bet you see more LBM go away.

There are many calorie requirement calculators on the internet that let you plug in your personal info.
  7. New Member
    Answers

thanks for sharing, and conngrats on ur results. Did u use any supplements at all?
  8. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Answers

Congrats, that's pretty impressive.

I could never drop my cal's into the teens..I'd get pretty b!tchy if I did lol.
  9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'6"  260 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by lilanimal View Post
    thanks for sharing, and conngrats on ur results. Did u use any supplements at all?
    No, I didn't use any supplements. I even limited my caffeine intake to one small cup of coffee first thing in the morning.

Back in the day I pounded Ripped Fuel (ECA stack) when trying to speed up fat burning, but started having some problems with waking up in the middle of the night a couple of times with my heart beating at about 120 bpm or something. So, in the last five or six years I decided really to avoid stimulants as much as possible.
  10. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'6"  260 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Gutterpump View Post
    Congrats, that's pretty impressive.

I could never drop my cal's into the teens..I'd get pretty b!tchy if I did lol.
    I hear ya. I did find myself being more testy than usual with my wife on those really low calorie days.

Like I said, I don't think it would be possible to go that low if I was in my 20's.
  11. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

I've thought about doing a pulse diet like that before, just never actually did it. Nice to see such solid results from it! I'll keep that in mind.
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  12. Senior Member
    Answers

You could try the eat stop eat protocol....ie one or two 24 hours fasts a week - works well.
  13. Enhanced Body Formulations
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by saggy321
    You could try the eat stop eat protocol....ie one or two 24 hours fasts a week - works well.
    I do this 7 days a week or just about every day

1 large meal then not again till next day
    Enhanced Body Formulations Product Educator

For any questions on our products that need a quick response, please email me directly
    EnhancedBodyFormulations@gmail .com
  14. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by saggy321 View Post
    Man you really love to push this, you a shill for some company?
  15. Senior Member
    Answers

I've never before mentioned eat stop eat! But even if I had I'm curious to hear your thoughts on why you think I may be a shill. The product I'm selling for a commercial gain is.....?
  16. Senior Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by EBF Inc View Post
    I do this 7 days a week or just about every day

1 large meal then not again till next day
    How to do handle training? Surely you must have a light meal before training?
  17. Enhanced Body Formulations
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by saggy321

Never eat before training

Some coffee or a pre workout with my supplements and I'm good to go

I also do it keto style right now since I'm dieting

Cals are still highish

But it makes sure I get 3 doses f my burners in before my meal I'm literally a furnace all day and night

For any questions on our products that need a quick response, please email me directly
  18. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by saggy321 View Post
    I have nothing to eat till noon every day, stop eating by 8pm at latest, work out at 7am. So no preworkout meal, no postworkout shake, nothing till 4 hours later....
  19. Senior Member
    Answers

I think daily calories become even more important if doing this. I remember trying fasted training and not eating for a good 4-5 hours afterwards whilst on a massive calorie deficit and I screwed up my metabolism and some extent my endocrine system. I had to take a good 3 months off from the gym to receover properly.
  20. Enhanced Body Formulations
    Answers

I eat till Its hard to breathe. That's how I know I got a lot of calories

21. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Great info guy's
    Junior
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. looking to gaining 10-15 lbs.in a months time
    By suresha in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-27-2013, 12:00 AM
  2. Lost 13-16 Lbs in 3 weeks, Health Concern Question.
    By stang2supra in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-22-2009, 11:43 AM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-07-2009, 09:17 PM
  4. Down 7 lbs in a week and don't feel good
    By dhuge67 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-09-2007, 03:39 PM
  5. 34 lbs in 4 weeks? Is this possible?
    By ocyeoman in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 22