What blood type are you?

1. New Member
    Answers

What blood type are you?

This is the question some guy asked me while I was shopping at a vitamin store. I didn't know the answer, but he told me to find out because if I was type X (variable, not really "x") then whey would be useless to me. Does this sound true to anyone?

2. Brewing Anabolic Minds
    Answers

He is full of ****...

Chemo

3. Senior Member
    Answers

Originally posted by Chemo
    He is full of ****...

Chemo
    LMAO! Gotta love the uneducated!

I had to fix that spelling error. It didn't go well with the statement!
    Last edited by Dwight Schrute; 06-19-2003 at 08:37 AM.

•   

4. New Member
    Answers

there's a book called Eat right for your type. It has a ton of different info about eating different ways according to your blood type...that's where that guy probably got his idea from...i think its bogus

5. New Member
    Answers

http://www.dolfzine.com/page467.htm posted by CycloneHWT on AU in a similar debate

6. Elite Member
    Answers

LOL.. got to love that type of question. I have a feeling that someone had been reading Eating Right for Your Type.. like motleybreu said.

7. Senior Member
    Answers

LOL

8. Professional Member
    Answers

Hahahaah. Where do people come up with this stuff. But seriously did u guys know that your hair color decides how much protein you should eat Late J

Answers

Well, actually the idea behind "Eat Right For Your Type" has some good basis, such as :

Your blood type is determined by your ancestry, which indicates where in the world your genetic ancestors evolved, and thus which kind of food they were eating... So it kinda makes sense to say that we are more adapted to a certain kind of diet...

... Which in turn, leads to the following question : is there a difference in success on a very specific diet, such as Atkins or any ketogenic, between blood types? Well, if your ancestors were eating only rice and veggies for the last 100,000 years, possibly you are less adapted to an all-meat diet.

This is all conjecture, but it kinda makes sense... To jump into it headlong and say that whey will be no good for certain types, well... LMAO

OTOH, we are seemingly all descended from the first single-cell organism, so pushing that logic a little further, we can eat ANYTHING... Which is almost true... McDonald's anyone?

Opinions?

10. Brewing Anabolic Minds
    Answers

You blood type is more dependent on your immediate parents and not so much on ancestry as you suggest.

Genetics will hold your argument well in that metabolism is largely reliant on bloodlines but ABO bloodtyping is not.

Chemo

Answers

I agree. But the basic assumption to your statement is that the recessive/dominant gene responsible for the blood type is limited to the presence or absence of certain proteins, namely ABO, in the bloodstream. This is what is easily tested and measured, but the genetics of it go way deeper than that, so a nutrition-based inference seems quite correct.

12. Brewing Anabolic Minds
    Answers

I disagree with your statement. Blood type is indeed determined by simple Mendelian genetics.

How many blood types are there? Are there any blood types present in one ethnic population that is not presented in another? WHAT POSSIBLE COORELATION CAN YOU DRAW BETWEEN BLOOD TYPE AND ABILITY TO METABOLIZE PROTEINS?

Chemo

Answers

Blood type IS the presence or absence of certain proteins in the bloodstream. That is what I was writing about above.

Yes, blood type is indeed determined by simple Mendelian genetics. BUT the genes that determine blood type don't JUST put marker proteins (A, B, rh, or, "not") in the bloodstream and not do anything else. They are responsible for a few other things, which go deeper than simply having this or that protein expressed in the bloodstream. Sorry if my English is a little difficult to follow, my usual language is French. But anyways, those genes do a lot more than that, but WHAT EXACTLY, this is not completely resolved yet.

Some more info at http://www.bioc.aecom.yu.edu/bgmut/abo_common.htm if you're interested.

14. Brewing Anabolic Minds
    Answers

Originally posted by LunaHotel
    ...They are responsible for a few other things, which go deeper than simply having this or that protein expressed in the bloodstream...

...those genes do a lot more than that, but WHAT EXACTLY, this is not completely resolved yet.
    Allow me to echo your statements and summarize for record.  You are postulating that the simple genetics that will determine blood type are responsible for other physical trait expressions but what exactly you don't know.  You have to present something better than, "I think it does something but I'm not sure" to validate your argument.

Until you provide some peer reviewed material that supports your stance (i.e. - blood type lends to expression of other traits specifically in regards to protein metabolism) your statements are unsupported and purely speculation at best.

Chemo 

Answers

Quote from : http://www.bioc.aecom.yu.edu/bgmut/abo.htm

"Function: primary gene products of functional alleles are glycosyltransferases. The A alleles encode UDP-GalNAc: Fuc alpha1->2 Gal alpha1->3 N-acetyl-D-galactosaminyltransferase (alpha 1->3 GalNAc transferase or histo-blood group A transferase). The B alleles encode UDP-Gal: Fuc alpha1->2 Gal alpha 1->3 galactosyltransferase (alpha 1->3 galactosyltransferase or histo-blood group B transferase). O alleles encode proteins without glycosyltransferase function. The function of ABH antigens remains unknown."

Argh, just look up glycosyltransferase, and its functions, role in metabolism. It gets a little convoluted, but basically there's a lot more to it than just having this or that marker in the bloodstream that identifies you as A or B or so... Hope the links clear this up.

More here : http://www3.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/htbin-p...dispmim?110300

In which they describe significantly different incidence of certain diseases among blood types, which obviously signifies much more than simple "marker molecule" idea of ABO.

16. New Member
    Answers

i vote Chemo for president good debate fellas..i'm with chemo on this one, it's very sketchy idea LH

17. Anabolic Innovations Owner
    Answers

My blood looks like it is blue when it is inside me but is red when it comes out. Does this mean I should do Cyber Genics or just go with regular creatine?
    Sleep Supplement 3Z BCAA: Red Raspberry and Lemon flavors
    HGH/sleep enhancer: HGHpro
    Test Booster: TestoPRO and STOKED!
    Preworkout: MANIAC Fruit Punch and Pink Lemonade

18. Brewing Anabolic Minds
    Answers

Originally posted by LunaHotel
    Quote from : http://www.bioc.aecom.yu.edu/bgmut/abo.htm

"Function: primary gene products of functional alleles are glycosyltransferases. The A alleles encode UDP-GalNAc: Fuc alpha1->2 Gal alpha1->3 N-acetyl-D-galactosaminyltransferase (alpha 1->3 GalNAc transferase or histo-blood group A transferase). The B alleles encode UDP-Gal: Fuc alpha1->2 Gal alpha 1->3 galactosyltransferase (alpha 1->3 galactosyltransferase or histo-blood group B transferase). O alleles encode proteins without glycosyltransferase function. The function of ABH antigens remains unknown."

Argh, just look up glycosyltransferase, and its functions, role in metabolism. It gets a little convoluted, but basically there's a lot more to it than just having this or that marker in the bloodstream that identifies you as A or B or so... Hope the links clear this up.

More here : http://www3.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/htbin-p...dispmim?110300

In which they describe significantly different incidence of certain diseases among blood types, which obviously signifies much more than simple "marker molecule" idea of ABO.
    Do you even have an idea of what you are quoting???  The ABH system codes for the ABO and will determine gluco-protein affinity for the receptor.  You have done nothing more than summarize basic blood typing procedure on a techincal level.  For those that don't know, ABH determination is much like prohormones are for active parent steroidal compounds.  In the lab they test for the gluco-protein receptor (ABH) affinity to determine actual ABO typing.

Your post has nothing to do with protein metabolism as coorelated to individual blood type.  Nice try but you can't blind me with bull****...

Chemo

Answers

The only place where I talk about "protein" is in talking about the actual "A", "B" or "H" "complex molecule" or protein for generalization.

All I'm saying - and if you can't see that from the links I just showed you, then you are *BLIND* - is that the expression of these proteins - Oh, *SORRY* - "Complex Molecules" - or do you want their exact scientific name???? - Is much, MUCH more than a simple marker in your blood, but serves OTHER FUNCTIONS AS WELL. Actually, darwinian evolution didn't suddenly come up and say "Heck, let's make some different blood types, and have some molecules present in some poeple's blood and not in others, but they'll have *NO* function whatsoever - or maybe just confuse biologists?" Nope, siree, they are there for a reason. The concept of blood type is just that - a concept.

So, blood type isn't ONLY these complex, mostly peptide-based molecules, but OTHER THINGS AS WELL, as the clear indication of different disease incidence among blood types *OBVIOUSLY* indicates.

And *PLEASE* do BAN me if you don't understand this, I'll have nothing to do with a website that will blindly defend egos over knowledge.

20. Brewing Anabolic Minds
    Answers

It's time to let you in on my ace in the hole LunaHotel...I am a chemist by trade but my wife is a clinical pathologist. Your argument is nothing more than a "god has a master plan with blood types" plot and is not based in peer reviewed science. I did not mean to offend you with truth but admitting you are wrong is a hard thing to do.

We don't ban members for being incorrect but you may excuse yourself at any moment at your convenience. I suggest you research this topic and come back when you have secured enough knowledge to debate intelligently.

Nothing personal...

Chemo

21. New Member
    Answers

Actually he was quoting from that book you all mentioned; I think he was trying to get me to purchase it as well. :P

Thanks also Chemo for clearing me up on the matter.

22. New Member
    Answers

dont buy into it....chemo's proven his point

23. New Member
    Answers

i'm also very interested in the blood type diet hypothesis. the guy, d'adamo (naturopathic doctor), believes that different people react differently to different foods. he's written at least 5 books on this. the first one was low on science, but his two later ones (complete blood type encyclopedia and live right for your type) make a good case, especially the latter with a lot of references to animal studies, anecdotal info and some reference to statistical relationships between blood type and various conditions. plus he adds a lot of his own theories.

the idea is that you blood type has certain antigens that will attack antigens of other types as if they were foreign invaders to the body, and this results in blood agglutination. now there's a lot more to it, but basically people of different blood types react differently to different foods. eating the wrong foods will tax your bodies immune system and weaken your health. i'm curious to see what other people think.

he also hypotheses that blood type 0 and AB do better at intense sports than type B and A people who experience more cortisol (and lower DHEA levels for type B's at least) and thus become overtrained more easily. i'd like to know if type 0's on this board have had an easier time of gaining muscle than type A and B people.

Last edited by Number 5; 07-16-2003 at 10:32 PM.

24. New Member
    Answers

d'adamo believes that type 0 people do better on high protein diets (bobo, what's your blood type?), while type A's do better as vegetarians (chicken is okay, but soy products are better), and B types react better to red meat and dairy products (including whey). i'm not sure about type AB's.

mainly the diet is aimed to provide a strong immune system, but i'm curious about it's implications for bodybuilding. i'd recommend the book 'live right for your type' b/c it makes a good case and the ideas are certainly fascinating. even if you disagree it should still get you thinking.

25. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"  XXX lbs.
    Answers

**** this all, I'm A+ and do best gainswise on a high-protien from whole sources (meat, poultry, milk, eggs, tuna are my staples), and I plan on giving a CKD a shot here, and I think I'll do just peachy on it as well.... blood type my ass... my roomie went on it and he said "i didn't feel any better, but I didn't feel any worse" but he still thought it was doing him good, ROFLMAO!!!

ManBeast
    -Saving random peoples' nuts, one pair at at time... PCT info:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/steroids/192992-pct-what-why.html
    -Are you really ready for a cycle? Read this link and be honest:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/steroids/191120-checklist-before-thinking.html
    *I am not a medical expert, my opinions are not professional, and I strongly suggest doing research of your own.*

26. New Member
    Answers

i looked around for critiques of the blood type diet and it seems that the biggest problem other docs have with it is that peter d'adamo is making claims (as scientific fact) that he does not reference. here then is his take on protein digestion from the book 'live right 4 your type':

"...Intestinal alkaline phosphatase is an enzyme manufactured in the small intestine, which, among its other functions, aids the digestion of animal proteins and fat.

Recent studies clearly show that type Os - and to a lesser degree, type Bs - have high levels of intestinal alkaline phosphatase, and type As secrete almost no intestinal alkaline phosphatase, and whatever little they do secrete is inactivated by their own A antigen. This is a convincing reason why type As should stick to low-protein diets...

Evidence suggests that intestinal alkaline phosphatase, in addition to enhancing fat breakdown, also enhances the absorbtion of calcium..."

So there you have it. EDIT: he also has a reference number at the end for three pieces, which i've included at the end. maybe he is trying to answer his critics with this book and the encyclopedia one.

ManBeast, would you say you put on muscle more easily than the average person or not?

refs:

agbedana, e. o. and m. h. yeldu. "serum levels of human alkaline phospatase activities in relation to AB0 blood groups and secretor phenotypes." Afr J Med Sci, Dec 1996; 25(4): pp. 327-29

domar, U., K. Hirano,... "serum levels of human alkaline phosphatase isozymes in relation to blood groups."Clin Chim Acta, Dec 16, 1991; 203(2-3): pp. 305-13

mehta, n. ... "total serum alkaline phosphotase (SAP) and serum cholesterol in relation to secretor status and blood group in myocardial infraction patients. Indian Heart, March 1989; 41(2): pp. 82-85
    Last edited by Number 5; 07-17-2003 at 04:09 AM.

27. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"  XXX lbs.
    Answers

Yah, unlike LifeGuard, I'm the king of bulking and court jester of cutting. I tend to respond well to bulking, and have to fight for every pound when cutting.

ManBeast
    -Saving random peoples' nuts, one pair at at time... PCT info:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/steroids/192992-pct-what-why.html
    -Are you really ready for a cycle? Read this link and be honest:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/steroids/191120-checklist-before-thinking.html
    *I am not a medical expert, my opinions are not professional, and I strongly suggest doing research of your own.*

28. New Member
    Answers

O+ hard gainer, here, but I haven't read the books or their rebuttals, besides this one.

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-22-2011, 06:56 PM
  2. What type of Consumer and Supporter are YOU?
    By SamBoz19 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 02-01-2011, 09:54 AM
  3. What all supplements are you on currently...
    By elgenyo in forum Supplements
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 11-25-2009, 10:42 AM
  4. What body type are YOU
    By Nuteboy in forum General Chat
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 09-04-2004, 02:19 AM
  5. What other boards are you a member of?
    By Chemo in forum General Chat
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-24-2002, 01:00 PM