Do all low-carb diets rely on ketosis for results?

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.69%

Do all low-carb diets rely on ketosis for results?

I'm type 1 diabetic and was told that they can't go into ketosis. Would I be wasting my time then following a low-carb diet?

2. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10.27%

What about the anabolic diet on the t-mag site? Its a high protien, high fat, low carb diet but not a keto diet.

http://t-mag.com/html/body_69eat.html
    http://t-mag.com/html/body_71eat.html
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.69%

Whoa, I think I'll try that; thanks for the link.
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.5%

Actually, the Anabolic Diet is a ketogenic diet; it is a CKD (cyclical ketogenic diet). There are several excellent posts on CKD on this website, and I would suggest you check them out. Since you are diabetic, these diets might not be for you.

I think people try to cut carbs while dieting because carbs have a fat-sparing effect that has to do with the release of insulin. Once again, I don't know if the rules change for diabetics, but if you eat less carbs and can consequently use less insulin, I would *imagine* this might help, but I'm not 100% sure.

-RM
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.69%

Damn... Anyone know for sure if it would work for type 1 diabetics as well?
    Last edited by Gaf Knee; 06-23-2003 at 04:39 PM.
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10.27%

Originally posted by RM BiggaFigga
    Actually, the Anabolic Diet is a ketogenic diet; it is a CKD (cyclical ketogenic diet). There are several excellent posts on CKD on this website, and I would suggest you check them out. Since you are diabetic, these diets might not be for you.

I think people try to cut carbs while dieting because carbs have a fat-sparing effect that has to do with the release of insulin. Once again, I don't know if the rules change for diabetics, but if you eat less carbs and can consequently use less insulin, I would *imagine* this might help, but I'm not 100% sure.

-RM
    But in the article it says: "The only way to help create this anabolic environment is to limit carb intake to 30 grams per day on weekdays. This doesn't put you into ketosis, nor is this a ketogenic diet. The approach could be best described as a "near-ketosis" diet." ?
  7. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.7%
    Achievements Posting Pro

No...30 grams a day during the week IS ketogenic for most individuals, however it does vary from about 15-50 depending on the person.
    What I would recommend would either be an isocaloric diet, ie 40/30/30 with maybe even higher protein, or you can cut carbs to only around workout times...ie preworkout and post workout and a meal after that. Im not a diabetic, so Im not sure how your body would respond, but I do have a friend who times his injects (he only does once a day I believe..) to post workout. Thus your using your slin in a similar way that many non-diabetics are using it. Also depends on what type of insulin you use.
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.5%

I believe Mario has stated in an interview that his Anabolic diet is/was not supposed to be a ketogenic diet. He wanted you to eat just enough carbs to stay out of ketosis, but no more than needed. 30 grams is a good starting place but if you find yourself in ketosis you would up your carb intake until you found the minimum level required to keep you out of ketosis.

And to answer the initial question, no you don't need to be in a ketogenic state to enjoy the benefits of a low carb diet. Ketosis is more like a side effect of a low carb diet than a necessity. Too many people are caught up with peeing on the damn strips when just keeping their insulin levels in check is the main reason they're burning the fat.

Similar Forum Threads

1. p-slin/anabolic pump on low carb diet
    By ryan6f7 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-23-2007, 02:40 PM
  2. Will AP Work on Low Carb Diet ?
    By MaDmaN in forum Supplements
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-14-2007, 10:40 AM
  3. arginine on low carb diets
    By cromesta in forum Supplements
    Replies: 1