Lv. Percent
    95.4%

Cardio Workout - Help!

Hello,

For the last two months my cardio workout has looked like this:

1.5 Minutes @ 5.5 MPH
    1.5 Minutes @ 6.5 MPH
    2 Minutes @ 6.0 MPH

Repeat 3 More times for a total of 20 MIN cardio. I do this 4-5 times per week.

It is getting fairly easy for me now, as opposed when I first started this routine there were some days that I couldn't even finish. Now that it is getting easier I am wondering what I should do to improve it. Should I do the same intervals and go for 30 minutes? Should I up the speeds and still go for only 20 minutes? Does this workout suck and should I be doing something completely different?

I am about 175 lbs and 12%-13% bodyfat. The only place that I really have fat is in my chest, stomach, and love handles. My arms and legs are pretty much pure muscle. I am really tryin to lose the gut, whats the best way to go about doing this?

I will be starting a ph cycle here in about a week, so I am looking for a good workout to go with my lifting to help drop that fat.

Thanks for any advice!

2. Snuggle Club™ mascot
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.52%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I would start by increasing to 30 minutes.
  3. Recovering AXoholic
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.08%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

2 things (and these are just my opinions of things):

1) It sounds like you do your cardio to burn a few extra calories (and shed some fat). It would seem to make sense (to me at least) that you design your cardio workouts to burn calories instead of lasting a duration of time. To save yourself the trouble of figurin' a bunch of sh*t out, the amount of calories you burn on the treadmill is related to your weight the distance you run. A common rule of thumb (or at least the algorithm most treadmills use) is to multiply [your weight in pounds]*[distance in miles]*0.75 = [calories burned]. 3 miles (for me) is the minimum i'll run for workout, but I've been running for years. Right now you're doing ~1.5miles (about 200 Calories per workout), so I'd say your first order of business would be to work up until you can do 3 miles for a workout (about 395 Calories per workout)

2) I'm a HIIT whore. So my advice would be to try using a greater deviation between speeds, to create the HIIT style of training

1 minute @ as hard as you can go
    1 minute @ 6 mph
    1 minute @ a walking speed

Try that for 5 times around (15 minutes), followed by a medium-paced jog for another 10-15 minutes. I can guarantee you'll see a noteable difference by mid-April.
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI
    Ask me about the Athletic Xtreme Product Line
    •   

4. NIMBUS NUTRITION Co Founder
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.21%

I too am a big fan of HITT cardio...I feel its second to none in it's ability to shed Body fat, while maintaining lean mass...assuming proper timing and diet of course.

Workin
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.4%

Quote Originally Posted by thesinner View Post
    2 things (and these are just my opinions of things):

1) It sounds like you do your cardio to burn a few extra calories (and shed some fat). It would seem to make sense (to me at least) that you design your cardio workouts to burn calories instead of lasting a duration of time. To save yourself the trouble of figurin' a bunch of sh*t out, the amount of calories you burn on the treadmill is related to your weight the distance you run. A common rule of thumb (or at least the algorithm most treadmills use) is to multiply [your weight in pounds]*[distance in miles]*0.75 = [calories burned]. 3 miles (for me) is the minimum i'll run for workout, but I've been running for years. Right now you're doing ~1.5miles (about 200 Calories per workout), so I'd say your first order of business would be to work up until you can do 3 miles for a workout (about 395 Calories per workout)

2) I'm a HIIT whore. So my advice would be to try using a greater deviation between speeds, to create the HIIT style of training

1 minute @ as hard as you can go
    1 minute @ 6 mph
    1 minute @ a walking speed

Try that for 5 times around (15 minutes), followed by a medium-paced jog for another 10-15 minutes. I can guarantee you'll see a noteable difference by mid-April.

thanks man, im definitely going to give that a go. you were pretty much dead on with the 200 calories burned per workout, although i do finish a bit over 2 miles per workout. I will try the workout you just layout out and see how it goes.
  6. Recovering AXoholic
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.08%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by getjacked63 View Post
    thanks man, im definitely going to give that a go. you were pretty much dead on with the 200 calories burned per workout, although i do finish a bit over 2 miles per workout. I will try the workout you just layout out and see how it goes.
    1.5 Minutes @ 5.5 MPH * 3 bouts * (1 h /60 min) = 0.4125 mi
    1.5 Minutes @ 6.5 MPH * 3 bouts * (1 h /60 min) = 0.4875 mi
    2 Minutes @ 6.0 MPH * 3 bouts * (1 h /60 min) = 0.600 mi
    0.4125mi + 0.4875mi + 0.6mi = 1.5 mi
    Your treadmill is (for some reason) telling you total distance in kilometers. (1.5 mi = 2.41km)

Good luck with the HIIT, I think you'll like it.
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.4%

Quote Originally Posted by thesinner View Post
    1.5 Minutes @ 5.5 MPH * 3 bouts * (1 h /60 min) = 0.4125 mi
    1.5 Minutes @ 6.5 MPH * 3 bouts * (1 h /60 min) = 0.4875 mi
    2 Minutes @ 6.0 MPH * 3 bouts * (1 h /60 min) = 0.600 mi
    0.4125mi + 0.4875mi + 0.6mi = 1.5 mi
    Your treadmill is (for some reason) telling you total distance in kilometers. (1.5 mi = 2.41km)

Good luck with the HIIT, I think you'll like it.
    thats interesting, my treadmill must just be a piece of **** haha. it says i come in at like 2.1 mi almost everytime. perhaps I am running faster than it says (I hope haha) or maybe it just cant do math and I am only going 1.5 mi. either way, I will be trying the HIIT today in just a few minutes. here is my plan:

1 Minute @ 9 MPH
    1 Minute @ 6 MPH
    1 Minute @ 3 MPH

Repeat 4 more times for a total of 15 Minutes. Then do a 10-15 minute run @ 6 MPH.

How does this look?
  8. Recovering AXoholic
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.08%

Sounds good
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI
  9. NIMBUS NUTRITION Co Founder
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.21%

Quote Originally Posted by getjacked63 View Post
    thats interesting, my treadmill must just be a piece of **** haha. it says i come in at like 2.1 mi almost everytime. perhaps I am running faster than it says (I hope haha) or maybe it just cant do math and I am only going 1.5 mi. either way, I will be trying the HIIT today in just a few minutes. here is my plan:

1 Minute @ 9 MPH
    1 Minute @ 6 MPH
    1 Minute @ 3 MPH

Repeat 4 more times for a total of 15 Minutes. Then do a 10-15 minute run @ 6 MPH.

How does this look?

Workin
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.4%

damn that was a hell of a workout! just finished, and here is how it ended up:

1 minute at 9 MPH
    1 minute at 6 MPH
    1 minute at 3 MPH

Repeated 4 times for a total of 15 Minutes, then did:

1.5 minutes at 5.5 MPH
    1.5 minutes at 6.5 MPH
    2 minutes at 6.0 MPH

Repeated 2 more times for a total of 15 minutes.

Total workout was 30 minutes, and ran 3.1 miles. (according to the treadmill, apparently math proves otherwise). The treadmill also said I only burned 275 calories, this seems a bit low, does anyone know if this is right?

Either way, my first HIIT training was awesome! I loved it! Much better than the last 2 months of running, and I feel like I got much more out of it. I was sweating my nuts off when I was finished! Thanks for the help guys! I will be using this workout for atleast the next 2 months during my pheradrol/mega zol cycle and through pct.
  11. Recovering AXoholic
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.08%

Glad to hear you liked it.

Keep it up, and good luck!
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-23-2012, 01:39 AM
  2. Back workout help!
    By Kiwi in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 7