Newbie Needs Help - AnabolicMinds.com

Newbie Needs Help

1. New Member

Newbie Needs Help

I've been reading this Board for a few months, but just now stomached the courage to post a question. I am 42 yrs. old, 5-11, and 188 pounds. While I have always been very active, I recently started taking my workouts, diet and physical appearance much more seriously.

My goal is to increase my lean muscle mass and reduce my BF %, which is very high (estimated at 18 to 20%). As a result, I have been using the following cardio/lift routine for the past 30 days and would truly appreciate your feedback.

I do low-intensity cardio (3 to 5 mile run) first thing in the morning (6:30 a.m.) on an empty stomach. I run 4 to 5 times per week. Obvioulsy, I'm doing this for fat burning purposes, but am concerned about muscle loss.

Immediately after running, I drink a quick glass of water and get ready for the day. About an hour and a half after my run, (shower, dressed, drop kids at school, drive to work, etc.), I have a cup of coffee with skim milk and Splenda followed by a protein shake (MetRx).

At 11:30 or so I eat either a protein bar (any generic brand) or consume another protein shake and then hit the gym (conveniently located in my office building) at noon. I will work two body parts per session and my reps range from 8 to 15 reps. I will lift during my lunch hour 4 to 5 times per week.

Just before 2:00 pm, I eat lunch at my desk which ususally consists of a grilled chicken breast (or any other protein available at our Company cafeteria) and a side of vegetables (sometimes rice) with a Diet Coke.

Around 5:00 pm I will eat either a protein bar or drink another protein shake to keep me going until dinner.

I don't get home for dinner until 7:30 or so. Dinner generally consists of whatever my wife cooks for the kids -- salad with chicken, pasta with chicken, ground beef sandwiches, etc. I'm usually too tried to cook so I just heat up a plate of whatever they ate earlier in the evening and throw it down with iced tea or another Diet Coke.

What advice can you provide or changes do you recommend given my goal of fat loss and adding more lean muscle mass?

Over the next 30 days or so after incorporating your changes to my routine, I would like to add recommended supplements to assist in my goal of reducing BF %. Therefore, in addition to providing me with feedback on my routine, please recommend fat burners, protein shakes, vitamins, protein bars, drinks, etc. to aid in my pursuit of a better body.

In doing so, please keep in mind that I'm a newbie so when you recommend a product, please spellout the full name and, if possible, describe when it should be taken and in what quantities. Also, if the particular supplement is intended to be taken with other supplements as part of a stack, please say so.

Thanks for your anticipated help.

2. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.

did i read this correct.....you have a glass of water,cup of coffee and a protein shake between the hours of 6:30 and 11:30?
  3. New Member

Unhappy

More or less. I generally start running around 6:30 a.m. and finish around 7:00 or 7:15 a.m. or so. I have the protein shake at 8:30 a.m. Between 7:15 a.m. and 8:30 a.m., I am getting ready for work, driving 2 kids to school and then driving myself to work.

I keep a jug of whey protein at my desk. I immediately make a shake when arrive at the office at 8:30 a.m. However, between the end of my run (7:15 a.m) and my ar***** to work (8:30 a.m.), I put nothing in my stomach other than water and a cup of coffee.
    •   

4. Board Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Gables View Post
    I've been reading this Board for a few months, but just now stomached the courage to post a question. I am 42 yrs. old, 5-11, and 188 pounds. While I have always been very active, I recently started taking my workouts, diet and physical appearance much more seriously.

My goal is to increase my lean muscle mass and reduce my BF %, which is very high (estimated at 18 to 20%). As a result, I have been using the following cardio/lift routine for the past 30 days and would truly appreciate your feedback.

I do low-intensity cardio (3 to 5 mile run) first thing in the morning (6:30 a.m.) on an empty stomach. I run 4 to 5 times per week. Obvioulsy, I'm doing this for fat burning purposes, but am concerned about muscle loss.

Immediately after running, I drink a quick glass of water and get ready for the day. About an hour and a half after my run, (shower, dressed, drop kids at school, drive to work, etc.), I have a cup of coffee with skim milk and Splenda followed by a protein shake (MetRx).

At 11:30 or so I eat either a protein bar (any generic brand) or consume another protein shake and then hit the gym (conveniently located in my office building) at noon. I will work two body parts per session and my reps range from 8 to 15 reps. I will lift during my lunch hour 4 to 5 times per week.

Just before 2:00 pm, I eat lunch at my desk which ususally consists of a grilled chicken breast (or any other protein available at our Company cafeteria) and a side of vegetables (sometimes rice) with a Diet Coke.

Around 5:00 pm I will eat either a protein bar or drink another protein shake to keep me going until dinner.

I don't get home for dinner until 7:30 or so. Dinner generally consists of whatever my wife cooks for the kids -- salad with chicken, pasta with chicken, ground beef sandwiches, etc. I'm usually too tried to cook so I just heat up a plate of whatever they ate earlier in the evening and throw it down with iced tea or another Diet Coke.

What advice can you provide or changes do you recommend given my goal of fat loss and adding more lean muscle mass?

Over the next 30 days or so after incorporating your changes to my routine, I would like to add recommended supplements to assist in my goal of reducing BF %. Therefore, in addition to providing me with feedback on my routine, please recommend fat burners, protein shakes, vitamins, protein bars, drinks, etc. to aid in my pursuit of a better body.

In doing so, please keep in mind that I'm a newbie so when you recommend a product, please spellout the full name and, if possible, describe when it should be taken and in what quantities. Also, if the particular supplement is intended to be taken with other supplements as part of a stack, please say so.

Thanks for your anticipated help.
    Ok, well the obvious problem is your diet, because if your active like you say you are, but your still at 18-20%, then your simply not eating right. First off, I don't consider running in the morning on an empty stomach a good idea. Running isn't low intensity. For me (5'8 175) I can't walk any faster than 3.7 mph on a slight incline or my heart rate will go into the moderate range. If you truly want to do low intensity cardio on an empty stomach for fat burning, then make sure your heart rate is not going over 65% of your MHR. Calculate MHR by taking (220-your age) * .65. If your going above that on an empty stomach, your forcing your body to use muscle mass for fuel which is a bad thing.

Second, your diet. What you should be doing is eating 5-6 meals a day following a 40/40/20 protein/carbs/fat ratio. For someone your size, to maintain your current weight you would comsume around your current weight *15 or 2820 calories. Your carrying around 36 lbs of fat (188 * .19) right now. Each lb of fat can sustain a 31 calorie deficit, so your total fat can sustain a total deficit of 1116 cals. 2820-1116 = 1704. This is the amount of calories you can consume and not lose lbm. Here is the link explaining this process further.
    Determining the Maximum Dietary Deficit for Fat Loss

So, using that information, divide 1704 by 5 meals (or six) and further divide that by the 40/40/20 ratio I explained above. 1 gram of protein = 4 cals, 1 gram of carbs = 4 cals, and 1 gram of fat = 9 cals.

Consume good quality proteins like lean meats, (chicken, turkey, lean beef) and complex carbs like veggies, low fat dairy, oats, whole grain bread). Avoid simple sugars, and refined flours.

Ok, I know I've given you a ton of info here, but it will get you started on realizing your goals. Fine tune that diet and you'll be well on your way. Try not taking so many protein shakes to. Real food is king. I know your a busy guy and sometimes its convenient, but don't rely on them. I never have more than 2 shakes a day and thats on workout days. Ok, I'm done for now...Good luck...
  5. New Member

Thats alot of great info, glad I checked this post out.

Similar Forum Threads

1. newbie needs help cutting
    By messina61 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-14-2007, 11:47 AM
  2. newbie need help with h-drol
    By SvenEleven in forum Supplements
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-13-2007, 01:52 PM
  3. newbie need help
    By Rhino714 in forum Cycle Info
    Replies: 1