First time here Any Advice?

M

mokil

Awards
Hello to all. This is my first time in this forum and this looks promising. I am trying to lose weight that I have. Im currently overweight and been to chubby and fat all my life. I am 20yrs old 5'5 in height and weigh at 223. Little by little Ive stood and done nothing as I saw my maximum weight increase from like about 180 and then next thing you know I was 256. Ive lost some of the weight and went into 223. Ive purchased stimX and I am hoping for it to work. I have access to a gym everyday and Im going to the gym twice a day 5 days a week. I currently do cardio for about 67 minutes in total (this including the bike and a walking/step machine) I wanted to know if you guys had any advice for me on any diet tips. See thats my downfall.I dont really know whats good for me in that sense of what I can eat and what I cant eat. Most of the time I look up for this info I get list of diets such as calories, carbs, etc. I was looking for a all balanced diet where everyday foods are used. By this I mean such as wheat bread, special k cereal,etc. See those special diets above often need their own special brand of foods such as the atkins where as the carbs would be listed out front of the package,etc. I was also wondering if you guys had any excersise tips and also should I hit the weights? Also how long should I be on stimx (cycle) and anything other tips/advice on supplements? ANY advice or suggestions would be GREATLY aprecciated. I am hoping to keep a log of some sort with weekly or biweekly updates. Thank you for giving the time to read this and be safe.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Technically it just comes down to calories in vs calories out. You want everyday foods but that might be a problem. Everyday foods kind of suck in general. For diet specifically I think more info is in order. What's your typical day's intake like, what are you eating and how much?

Cardio twice a day totalling more than an hour at the end seems a bit much just off the top of my head. I'd try to trim that a bit because you really should design your diet and workouts around long term maintainability. Remember those sessions add to your daily calorie requirements so if you ever can't maintain both you have to cut your calories or risk gaining a bit of weight again. Try and make one session do more for you, say through interval training maybe.

As for the diet, more info again. More info!

T

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
As for the diet, more info again. More info!
Data, Data, Data! I cannot make bricks without clay. - Sherlock Holmes

Seriously, you'll get plenty of help here (probably enough to make your head spin), but it is easier for people to point out what you are currently doing right or wrong once you supply the data than guess and build it from the ground up.

Also, search the Internet and learn about the Glycemic Index and Glycemic Load.

M

mokil

Awards
A usual diet for me is cereal such as honey nut cheerios in the morning then for lunch I would eat a yogurt and 2 whole wheat slices with some butter and in the night I would eat alittle rice with meat. That is basically it. Im am willing to change it all if I know that it can help me. Im afraid that sometimes I eat very little or that I sometimes I eat too much. Most of the time as well I would incoporate fruits such as a bannana or an apple into the mix as well.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I commend you on your effort to make changes. Typically folks develop an unhealthy relationship with food. It sounds like you have one. Under eating and over eating and the swings that come with those practices wreak havoc on your metabolism. You need to practice more consistency, self control and discipline to achieve your goals.

4-6 meals a day consisting of quality protein from fish, chicken, beef, egg whites and vegetables (fiber) are ideal. I suggest these meals be made up primarily of the above.

First meal of the morning I would have FiberOne cereal, skim milk and 4-6 egg whites and the balance of meal consisting of a 4-6 oz portion of protein (fish, chicken, beef or egg whites) and one cup of vegetables.

Drink a lot of water.

I would avoid stimulants or thermogenics that increase your heart rate. You do not need them. You can achieve results without them. If you have a problem with appetite then look into something for that.

For exercise I would walk fast paced outside (or treadmill) for a period of time that you can consistently schedule every day. If you can do 60 mins then do it. If you can do more do it. Just don't overdue it one or two days and then not do it again for a week. Don't do so much that you burn out either. You need to develop a long term lifestyle and not an obsession.

I suggest a walkman and the open road :)

Good luck.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
A usual diet for me is cereal such as honey nut cheerios in the morning then for lunch I would eat a yogurt and 2 whole wheat slices with some butter and in the night I would eat alittle rice with meat. That is basically it. Im am willing to change it all if I know that it can help me. Im afraid that sometimes I eat very little or that I sometimes I eat too much. Most of the time as well I would incoporate fruits such as a bannana or an apple into the mix as well.
I don't think you got to 256 eating like this, so I'm guessing that wasn't your diet all the time. I'm guessing your metabolism tanked thanks to a severe drop in calories. Your weightloss has plateaued, correct? I think at this point you're going to have to deal with some backlash weight gain as you get your diet in order. Your diet should have more protein for one, I'd go with a standard 40/40/20 breakdown of calorie percentages from protein, carbs and fat respectively. Pick a reasonable calorie intake and stick with it and see how you respond, adjust from there. My guess is you'll gain some weight then see some positive changes after a few months. I would also change some of your cardio sessions to resistance training. Try and maintain muscle and possibly build some muscle.

Or if you're into extreme dieting the Protein Sparing Muscle Fast might work for you. Who knows, it all depends on your goals and tolerances.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
I would avoid stimulants or thermogenics that increase your heart rate. You do not need them. You can achieve results without them. If you have a problem with appetite then look into something for that.
Bump. Stay away from the diet drugs. The help they may give is nothing next to what you'll get from a well balanced diet and effective workout routine.

T

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
Your diet should have more protein for one, I'd go with a standard 40/40/20 breakdown of calorie percentages from protein, carbs and fat respectively. Pick a reasonable calorie intake and stick with it and see how you respond, adjust from there.
And make sure that one of the sources of your fat intake is from polyunsaturated fats - the Omega-3 buzzword. This generally comes from cold water fish (salmon) or flax/flax seed and is available in liquid or gel capsule form. Actually, throwing fish (canned tuna to fresh salmon and things in between) into your diet multiple times a week would be a wise move at this point.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
And make sure that one of the sources of your fat intake is from polyunsaturated fats - the Omega-3 buzzword. This generally comes from cold water fish (salmon) or flax/flax seed and is available in liquid or gel capsule form. Actually, throwing fish (canned tuna to fresh salmon and things in between) into your diet multiple times a week would be a wise move at this point.
Fishies are good.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lets not sweat the splinters...we have logs to deal with :) JMHO But, yes, fish is good nutrition.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Great, great advice given here and as such have none to expand on :) Stay strong, stay active and keep positive. The changes will come as long as you're actively seeking them and taking good advice and putting it into practice.

B5150 and CDB won't do you wrong.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
My way.
Buy bathroom scale, use it twice daily.
Think of you ideal weight.
Do not eat Mondays and Fridays, drink lots of water not sodas.
When you reach your ideal weight fast only Fridays (to preserve hard to get habit).
Think of yourself as active vs sedentary and make it so.

All other advice you have got so far is good, pick one that fits your personality.
---------------
Make sure your sugar, insuline, thyroid, adrenals, Estradiol, Testosterone, are in good order.

C

cage

Awards
If there's one thing that some who's tryin to lose weight must know is ( You Must Still Eat) You must exercise the bodys insulin, that's something that u dont want to get messed up especily with already being over weight. You might be close to being diebtic already. kinda like putting gas on a fire to put it out. the insulin that is triggered by (only eating) can control weight gain and weight lose also... and not eating is bad. i like B5150 op . just my op.:run:

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Small changes add up to big results over time.

Take each of these things and incorporate a new one each week....pretty soon you'll have a whole healthy lifestyle going and then it will just be a matter of time until you get the results you want.

My two cents: Eat oatmeal (instant is fine - but try to go with plain). If you need too, get the extra protein from protein shakes while you learn to like new foods. And yes, start hitting the weights. Muscle burns more calories than fat. As you increase your muscle mass, your resting metabolic rate will increase making it easier to lose weight.

Z

ZoMbSta

Awards
yeah..you gotta be patient with the fatloss and not expect any fast results...if there is any fast result...take it as a bonus and know that it wont at that rate in the long run..all things comes good with patience and perservance...

anyway jus wanna ask the great ones here....when ppl say 40/40/20 as the macros...are they referring to the nutrients in terms of grams or cals?

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
anyway jus wanna ask the great ones here....when ppl say 40/40/20 as the macros...are they referring to the nutrients in terms of grams or cals?
Percentage of calories in your diet from each macro, which necessarily means fat grams will be significantly lower than the other macros. The general ratio in grams would be 4:4:1, protein to carbs to fat, because fat has just over twice the caloric content per gram than the other two, so to get it to account for half the percetage of the others it has to be roughly one fourth their total in grams. So 40 grams of protein and carbs respectively will give you 160 calories from each, and 10 grams of fat will give you 90 calories. Overall calories will be 410, giving roughly 40% each from protein and carbs and 20% from fat, as an example.

D

derderr

Awards
hoodia is good for suppressing the appetite, no?

D

derderr

Awards
what's better in that regard then? just wonderin, personally bulking right now ..can't hurt to know though.

Z

ZoMbSta

Awards
Percentage of calories in your diet from each macro, which necessarily means fat grams will be significantly lower than the other macros. The general ratio in grams would be 4:4:1, protein to carbs to fat, because fat has just over twice the caloric content per gram than the other two, so to get it to account for half the percetage of the others it has to be roughly one fourth their total in grams. So 40 grams of protein and carbs respectively will give you 160 calories from each, and 10 grams of fat will give you 90 calories. Overall calories will be 410, giving roughly 40% each from protein and carbs and 20% from fat, as an example.
alrite....thanks!!!..i have always tot the ratio refers to grams and not cals...now that im gettin off CKD and doing a normal sustainable cutting diet for the long-term...i know how to do it properly...

dont mind me askin another qns...but is carb cycling or constant 40/40/20 diet better for efficiency and sustainability for fatloss now that im in the lower BF % at around 12% or lower...

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
alrite....thanks!!!..i have always tot the ratio refers to grams and not cals...now that im gettin off CKD and doing a normal sustainable cutting diet for the long-term...i know how to do it properly...

dont mind me askin another qns...but is carb cycling or constant 40/40/20 diet better for efficiency and sustainability for fatloss now that im in the lower BF % at around 12% or lower...
I think the leaner you get the better carb cycling becomes as an option.

M

mokil

Awards
Thanks for the advice
Although I was scared of doing any weights because I didnt want to increase my mass..would this be the case?

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Increased LBM is your ally in fat loss. It will not happen to a great extent by accident, but at first you may gain a lb or two on the scale. But in the long run accruing LBM will assist you in achieving your long term goals.

Like with all things moderation is the key to longevity and sustaining of your success.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the advice
Although I was scared of doing any weights because I didnt want to increase my mass..would this be the case?
Increased muscle mass is a good thing. If you're in a calories deficit though you'll just get some small body composition changes at most and then your mass gains will stop in favor of fat loss over time.

S

SIRRBM

Awards
A Lot Of Lifting, A Mod Amount Of Cardio (heart Rate In The Fat Burning Zone), And Eating 5-6 Small Meals (low In Carb, High In Protein) Per Day Like South Beach (easy And A No-brainer)!