Pre-Workout more important than Post Workout?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
THis is an idea that zeppelin informed me of and I was really interested in this concept. It would easily fit into the Low GI post workout timing also.

Timing of amino acid-carbohydrate ingestion alters anabolic response of muscle to resistance exercise.

Tipton KD, Rasmussen BB, Miller SL, Wolf SE, Owens-Stovall SK, Petrini BE, Wolfe RR.

Department of Surgery, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77550, USA. [email protected]

The present study was designed to determine whether consumption of an oral essential amino acid-carbohydrate supplement (EAC) before exercise results in a greater anabolic response than supplementation after resistance exercise. Six healthy human subjects participated in two trials in random order, PRE (EAC consumed immediately before exercise), and POST (EAC consumed immediately after exercise). A primed, continuous infusion of L-[ring-(2)H(5)]phenylalanine, femoral arteriovenous catheterization, and muscle biopsies from the vastus lateralis were used to determine phenylalanine concentrations, enrichments, and net uptake across the leg. Blood and muscle phenylalanine concentrations were increased by approximately 130% after drink consumption in both trials. Amino acid delivery to the leg was increased during exercise and remained elevated for the 2 h after exercise in both trials. Delivery of amino acids (amino acid concentration times blood flow) was significantly greater in PRE than in POST during the exercise bout and in the 1st h after exercise (P < 0.05). Total net phenylalanine uptake across the leg was greater (P = 0.0002) during PRE (209 +/- 42 mg) than during POST (81 +/- 19). Phenylalanine disappearance rate, an indicator of muscle protein synthesis from blood amino acids, increased after EAC consumption in both trials. These results indicate that the response of net muscle protein synthesis to consumption of an EAC solution immediately before resistance exercise is greater than that when the solution is consumed after exercise, primarily because of an increase in muscle protein synthesis as a result of increased delivery of amino acids to the leg.

Publication Types:
Clinical Trial

Say bye bye to your N-large II junk.... ;)

pinoy

Awards
so you're supposed to have a low gi carb meal right before exercise? what i've been doing is have p/c meal 60-90 minutes before workout

John Benz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Pre-workout nutrition is not a Zeppelin brainstorm. John Berardi at T-Mag has stressed it for years, and TPRES at bb.com has talked about the importance of a pre-workout shake long before Zep mentioned it. I have been saying the same thing for several months now, and below are 3 quotes from bb.com.
If you eat a good protein/carb meal pre-workout, you won't get catabolic enough to need a huge insulin spike afterwards. I use 30 gms Optimum 100% whey, 20 gms Beverly 100% egg, and 1/2 cup of oatmeal post-workout.
...everyone focuses on post-workout nutrition and forgets the importance of a big pre-workout meal. With the proper pre-workout nutrition, your body does not enter into an amino-depleted catabolic state, and the need for supplementation with BCAA's and even glutamine becomes far less imperative.
The secret to steady gains is keeping the body anabolic at all times. With proper pre and post-workout nutrition, and BCAA supplementation, you will see results.
I keep reformulating what works best for me, and now I am eating solid food PRE-workout and a shake post. My usual pre-workout meal consists of 1/2 cup cooked oatmeal and 8-10 oz beef or poultry. Plus 2 tbls flax oil and 15 Beverly Ultra-40 liver tabs and 20 gms glutamine for insurance. ;)

pinoy

Awards
how long do you wait after eating that pre workout meal prior to workout?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Pre-workout nutrition is not a Zeppelin brainstorm. John Berardi at T-Mag has stressed it for years, and TPRES at bb.com has talked about the importance of a pre-workout shake long before Zep mentioned it. I have been saying the same thing for several months now, and below are 3 quotes from bb.com.

I keep reformulating what works best for me, and now I am eating solid food PRE-workout and a shake post. My usual pre-workout meal consists of 1/2 cup cooked oatmeal and 8-10 oz beef or poultry. Plus 2 tbls flax oil and 15 Beverly Ultra-40 liver tabs and 20 gms glutamine for insurance. ;)
Zeppelin said it before them. This is back from the old board. But now he is saying its more important than post workout and nobody said it was more important until now, hence the title of the thread....

RaulJimenez

Awards
  • Established
holy god 20grams of glutamine!?? how much you take a day?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
bachovas

bachovas

Awards
What does Berardi say about pre-w nutrition?  P/F meals?

John Benz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Zeppelin said it before them. This is back from the old board. But now he is saying its more important than post workout and nobody said it was more important until now, hence the title of the thread....
John Berardi has said it, TPRES has said, and I have said it. The first post I came across was this one from TPRES almost 1 year ago, and it was from him I heard it first, so he deserves the credit. Read the whole post. He says Post-workout is just icing on the cake. Remember, he HAS the degrees in nutrition that YJ "claimed" to have. ;)
from bb.com 5/27/02
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33707&perpage=30&pagenumber=2
Jon I agree with ya, there were some pretty impressive bodies built before anyone had heard of whey protein. It all boils down to nitrogen balance, if you are in a positive nitrogen balance you are gaining muscle and if you are in a negative nitrogen balance you are losing muscle. Within these parameters there is some room for improvement. The big advantage whey gives us is that it allows us to get a very rapid release of amino acids which can push us into a high nitrogen balance, but the drawback is that it only lasts for a short period of time. Then we hit that dreaded "crash" where we fall into a negative nitrogen balance. This is why I feel it is important to only use whey protein as part of a blend with other proteins. It is highly anabolic if used properly, but cassein and egg proteins are still superior as far as maintaining nitrogen balance. By combining all three we take advantage of the good properties of each of them, and we make ourselves a superior protein. As far as the anabolic window is concerned I have no idea how long it actually lasts. My thought on that is it depends on many factors, so I personally don't give it a lot of thought. I feel that the preworkout meal is much more important, and maintaining a pos. nitrogen balance all day is the nirvana of building muscle. I experiement with my postworkout nutrition in an attempt to take advantage of the anabolic window, but I view it more as the icing on the cake so to speak.

John Benz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
how long do you wait after eating that pre workout meal prior to workout?
If it is a solid meal, about an hour. If I am in a hurry, and grab a shake and oatmeal, sometimes I gulp it down just before I head out the door.

RaulJimenez

Awards
  • Established
YO John I hope your ride is kinda bumpy, you don't want to have 2 BLOOD PUMPS while working out lol, one in the stomach and one in the muscle.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

John Berardi has said it, TPRES has said, and I have said it. The first post I came across was this one from TPRES almost 1 year ago, and it was from him I heard it first, so he deserves the credit. Read the whole post. He says Post-workout is just icing on the cake. Remember, he HAS the degrees in nutrition that YJ "claimed" to have. ;)
from bb.com 5/27/02
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33707&perpage=30&pagenumber=2
Like I said, its been speculated about since the old bb.com board. Thats about 3 years ago. ;)

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
... you know, something else that just came to mind... we know how far in the "dark ages" the pros of old were comparable to today, in many areas, BUT answer me this... weren't most of their diets consisting of simply, massive quantities of whole milk, eggs, beef, and grains?... I'm pretty sure they didn't slam 50g of dex/malto with their 100% whey :D

now, this isn't to say pro bbers from 30 years ago should be the yardstick of today, but damn... with the comparably fewer amounts of drugs they took, and the much more simplistic style of training and eating (shitloads, of both), they look better to my eye than almost all the over drugged, syntholed out lumpy craggy bodies of today (save the few exceptions, Dexter, Flex, Jay, Gunter).. if they only had bigger legs :D

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nobody was sure about it. Its just now being proved somewhat feasible. Until now, nobody had anything to back it up. THats why the study is posted. Its been thrown around for a while but only now are people saying you don't even need a post workout shake immedietly after, hence MORE IMPORTANT. A meal after exercise between 1 to 3 hours has been suggested instead. Tell me who suggested that John or do you want to argue who invented the wheel? Stop trying to spin the information like a certain someone and take the info for what its worth. I could care less who invented what or where. The first I heard of it being suggested was years ago before you were even around and I'm sure it has been before that years ago. Its just now getting some credible evidence but since your one to doubt all pubmed studies I can see why your hesitant to believing it.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
... you know, something else that just came to mind... we know how far in the "dark ages" the pros of old were comparable to today, in many areas, BUT answer me this... weren't most of their diets consisting of simply, massive quantities of whole milk, eggs, beef, and grains?... I'm pretty sure they didn't slam 50g of dex/malto with their 100% whey :D

now, this isn't to say pro bbers from 30 years ago should be the yardstick of today, but damn... with the comparably fewer amounts of drugs they took, and the much more simplistic style of training and eating (shitloads, of both), they look better to my eye than almost all the over drugged, syntholed out lumpy craggy bodies of today (save the few exceptions, Dexter, Flex, Jay, Gunter).. if they only had bigger legs :D
Exactly. Who cares when it came about. Until now there were no studies suggesting this was actually true. Just opinion.

John Benz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Bobo,

You are a good friend and have had my back more than once. So if I have offended you I apologize. I don't care who first came up with this idea, and yes, it has been around for years. Furthermore I do not doubt all pubmed studies. I think their place is to back up proven results and help formulate conclusions as to why those results were obtained. I think they are often incorrectly used as stand alone evidence that proven real world results may have been off-track or even placebo. Even then, I would have to give a lot of leeway to articles concerning double blind studies, and formally published in one of the major medical journals, replete with citations and references. As you know, pubmed is a catch-all, and every study they can find gets space.

For what it's worth, I place more emphasis on your own findings than any lab study. That's why I am now using oats instead of maltodextrin in my post-workout shake. ;)

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'n not offended at all. Just curious as to why you would try to nitpick such irrevelant points. I don't take credit for this or anything. People seem to think I preach low GI because its my idea and it most certainly is not. These things are always cyclical. You learn from me because I learned from someone else. You know nothing is personal here. We've spoken numerous times and understand each other. Your a good bro, peroid.

As for studies I agree for the most part. Studies are conducted to prove or disprove hypothesis based on theories. The reason they are conducted is to eliminate speculation and give a more thorough picture of whats really occuring. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

You've been quite the agitator recently....I guess we have to give the members a show once in a while. :D

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I got youth on my side but he has experience.... ;)

RaulJimenez

Awards
  • Established
I put my bet on JOhn if this was a real fight looking at those avatars :)

quasar

Awards
Originally posted by Biggin

sorry cuz this is OT, but I just saw Pumping Iron again on cinemax and I was thinking this same thing and I attributed it to free flowin juice in the hippy age, can anyone confirm my suspicions?

and btw, they were all about the Gold's Gym in Venice, where was that Vince gironda guy? and who trained Arnold or was he mostly self taught after Europe?

bachovas

bachovas

Awards
Sorry to bring this up again, but I've NEVER read Berardi recommending  carbs before your workout. So in that case could a P/F meal pre-w be more important that post-w too?

chi_town

Keto Jedi / HomeBrew Advocate
Awards
THis is an idea that zeppelin informed me of and I was really interested in this concept. It would easily fit into the Low GI post workout timing also.

Timing of amino acid-carbohydrate ingestion alters anabolic response of muscle to resistance exercise.

Tipton KD, Rasmussen BB, Miller SL, Wolf SE, Owens-Stovall SK, Petrini BE, Wolfe RR.

Department of Surgery, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77550, USA. [email protected]

The present study was designed to determine whether consumption of an oral essential amino acid-carbohydrate supplement (EAC) before exercise results in a greater anabolic response than supplementation after resistance exercise. Six healthy human subjects participated in two trials in random order, PRE (EAC consumed immediately before exercise), and POST (EAC consumed immediately after exercise). A primed, continuous infusion of L-[ring-(2)H(5)]phenylalanine, femoral arteriovenous catheterization, and muscle biopsies from the vastus lateralis were used to determine phenylalanine concentrations, enrichments, and net uptake across the leg. Blood and muscle phenylalanine concentrations were increased by approximately 130% after drink consumption in both trials. Amino acid delivery to the leg was increased during exercise and remained elevated for the 2 h after exercise in both trials. Delivery of amino acids (amino acid concentration times blood flow) was significantly greater in PRE than in POST during the exercise bout and in the 1st h after exercise (P < 0.05). Total net phenylalanine uptake across the leg was greater (P = 0.0002) during PRE (209 +/- 42 mg) than during POST (81 +/- 19). Phenylalanine disappearance rate, an indicator of muscle protein synthesis from blood amino acids, increased after EAC consumption in both trials. These results indicate that the response of net muscle protein synthesis to consumption of an EAC solution immediately before resistance exercise is greater than that when the solution is consumed after exercise, primarily because of an increase in muscle protein synthesis as a result of increased delivery of amino acids to the leg.

Publication Types:
Clinical Trial

Say bye bye to your N-large II junk.... ;)

I'm not sure this is a revelation............but it looks to me that it's reason to continue popping my liver tabs a bit of time pre-WO. LOL

Pre WO more important than PW overall.......I'm not convinced. But why not practice both and get the best results. I opt for more emphasis on post WO.

PEACE

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think the big surprise is that are some are eliminating the post-workout altogether. I'm not convinced of that but for the most part thats biggest surprise to people overall. I agree with you in that both should work the best. I threw it out there more for discussion than anything... ;)

MushMouth

Awards
I think people who haven't done so, yet, would be pleasantly surprised if they started implementing a pre/during work-out shake ... I know I was.

As for Berardi, he has made mention of the Tipton study in one of his Q&A columns and said that because of it he started drinking half of his post workout shake either before or during his workout.

zeppelin

Awards
The idea is that you can keep a moderate level of carbohydrate during the day, and then make them available during exercise if you consume them just before training. Your are not storing them as glycogen, your body will use them before that. If taken pre workout, the flux of nutrients into the working cells is a few hundred percent higher. That means that more of the nutrients go to feuling and recovering the cells that you want it to.

Also, and this is key to this discussion, the pre-workout outperformed during the postworkout period than did the same drink taken immediately after a workout. Now if that does not show it potential, I give up.

Also the EAA have shown a 2-4 fold increase in protein anabolism over a mixed protein. And that is if that is free form. Probably even higher if it is a peptide.

MushMouth

Awards
Zeppelin: I've been aware of the free form eaa thing for a while now, but besides the product you've got coming out and bcaa's, is there anyone who even sells eaa's?

zeppelin

Awards
Not if you don't want to pay with your first born child! And they are most often in tablet form because EAA are the most putrid tasting substance known to man. Tablets elicit a controlled release. We want to take advantage of the free form status and severely spike the blood levels to get the greatest response.

New Body

Awards
I've been drinking a post workout shake during my workout, finishing half of it before the end of my workout. I have found that it be a plus during my workout and post workout.

Although I'm ashame to admit that I got the idea from a Flex article several months ago.

Question . . . Can I eat a carb meal pre-workout although I'm on a low carb diet? I presently do the oatmeal now after my workout.

Thanks
Angel

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
i found this on a search & probably some of the contributors to the thread are long gone but i recently started having Vince Gironda's Power Breakfast (eggs & mushrooms fried in butter) & 6 liver tabs.

i train about 60-90 minutes later & am having fantastic workouts.
i feel strong & have plenty of energy.

love trying new things.

Jag

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
IOW, try to keep nutrient levels high and continous throughout.

In some ways the pre-workout meal can certainly change your post workout meal.

Thanks Alan, I try to keep it nice and tidy.

alan aragon

alan aragon

Awards
pre & postW meals/shakes shouldn't be pigeonholed as separate entities which can be judged against eachother in terms of importance. there should actually be an attempt to achieve steady infusion of substrates throughout the training bout, which is picked up/continued & hiked up by the postworkout meal. to digress from the traditional view, even the timing of the so-called postW meal can be shifted around to various points during training to maximize blood levels of substrate immediately postW.

the timing & composition of the preworkout meal does in fact dictate the behavior of the postworkout meal, but just because this is so doesn't mean it's more important. substrate levels in the blood should be elevated at all points proximal to the training bout, including postW for maximal anabolic/anticatabolic effect. there are always many other contingencies to consider here, like what & when your preW or duringW was consumed -- because these variables can change the whole game.. in the end, postW intake has been overhyped in the domain of conventional wisdom, but there's still no need to drop the baby once you've saved it from drowning in the bathwater [you get the picture, heh]. sandwich that training bout with goodies for the best results. i still maintain my philosophy that they are equally important.

hello bobo, nice board you have here.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Uh...

Look above :D

alan aragon

alan aragon

Awards
IOW, try to keep nutrient levels high and continous throughout.

In some ways the pre-workout meal can certainly change your post workout meal.

Thanks Alan, I try to keep it nice and tidy.
hey do people who have debated with you for over 4 pages automatically get a shirt? if so, i'll pm you my address :D

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Only if you promise to wear it at your seminars :D

alan aragon

alan aragon

Awards
Only if you promise to wear it at your seminars :D
haha. i'd buy the buggah just to support fellow soljahs in da struggle nah mean, lol. plus the dietitians in the audience might go into cardiac arrest at the word "anabolic".

taffer

Awards
:D alan great to see you hear, i cant wait for your new article, based on your recent posts it looks like its going to concentrate on timing alot more than GI/composition

damn i cant wait for it!!!

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dieticians go into cardiac arrest over many words. They are a tightly wound group :D

alan aragon

alan aragon

Awards
Dieticians go into cardiac arrest over many words. They are a tightly wound group :D
taffer - i will try to bury the bases, that is of course until the next round of studies forces us to revise our perceptions.

bobo - that's very true man.. you should see those gals cut loose at a bar!

pu12en12g

pu12en12g

CONTROLLED LABS CONSULTANT
Awards
  • Established
For what it's worth, pre-workout nutrition got me past a plateau during my last bulk, and I'm sure it will again. I also switched to LOW-GI, with lean results.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good to hear.

If it did that, its worth a lot ;)

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
Zeppelin: I've been aware of the free form eaa thing for a while now, but besides the product you've got coming out and bcaa's, is there anyone who even sells eaa's?
PRD makes a product called nitromine, which is free form aminos. The cheapest I have seen it for was 45.00 though. Then there is the bcaa and glutamine drink mixes.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Vendetta.

ZackMurphy

Awards
Well, ICE is their pure-BCAA mix. Vendetta has some sugars tossed in.

So it depends what you need with the BCAAs and if you're taking it with anything (CHO) already.

I've used ICE, though. A little grainy and it didn't mix well, but a decent taste (fruit punch)