Strange but true: Fidgeting may fight fat

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Strange but true: Fidgeting may fight fat.

In a recent study, scientists from the Mayo Clinic issued motion-sensing skivvies to 10 heavy people and 10 thin ones, then recorded even their tiniest movements 24 hours a day. Ten days later they found that overweight people simply moved less than their lean companions, burning 350 fewer calories per day. Lead researcher James Levine, M.D., refers to the micromovement burn as Nonexercise Activity Thermogenesis — NEAT for short. He's not yet sure why thin people seem to do it more than thick ones, but he's sold on the concept. In his office, chairs are out; stand-up desks are in. If you're not quite ready to go that far, just switch your chair for a stability ball for 15 minutes each hour and use it to keep yourself in perpetual motion.

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
Strange but true: Fidgeting may fight fat.

In his office, chairs are out; stand-up desks are in. If you're not quite ready to go that far, just switch your chair for a stability ball for 15 minutes each hour and use it to keep yourself in perpetual motion.

Hmm could explain why I do most of my office work standing up :) That and almost dancing in my chair when Im actually sitting down.:bruce1:

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
Basic physiology...shivering helps as well. Quick, everyone sleep without sheets. LOL

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Hmm could explain why I do most of my office work standing up :) That and almost dancing in my chair when Im actually sitting down.:bruce1:
It's a pretty good idea. I should start taking my phone calls while standing up (of course that would make it difficult to surf the web while people prattle on).

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
It's a pretty good idea. I should start taking my phone calls while standing up (of course that would make it difficult to surf the web while people prattle on).

Im the only one in the office that does it. I got weird looks at the start but now its normal to them. I can get stuff done faster this way as well because its easier to move around. Feels good to stand after working on the computer for a bit.

CareTaker

Awards
I kinda like the idea of sitting on a ball all day