Bodyfat confusion

xcendo

Awards
I went in to the gym today and got skinfold measurements done with calipers, before working out and after breakfast. The average skinfold was 22 mm, and the personal trainer did rough math in his head and came out with 9.5% bf.

I'd be happy with this, but my abdominal muscles are barely visible and my waist (measured about half an inch above the umbilicus) is 33". Measured at the umbilicus, 33.5".

A lot of people found the estimation on http://anabolicminds.com/forum/weight-loss/45958-suprisingly-accurate-bodyfat-calculation.html?highlight=bodyfat to be pretty consistent with their caliper readings, but that calculator puts me at 14.5%, which sounds more reasonable considering my abdominal fat.

Is it just that I'm more genetically prone to store the majority of my fat around the waist? What's the deal?

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Men are prone to store fat in the abdominal area.

peterson24

Awards
  • Established
I would say 14.5% is more accurate. He must of just got the math wrong. My caliper measurements go from 12-20mm and I am at 12.5-13% currently. My abs show but they can be a lot better. anything under 10% and you are pretty shredded and most likely have a 6 pack. Oh, and the 20mm is my stomach. the rest are much lower.

diamonddave

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I think the trainer doing the test is fvcked. At how many points did he take skinfolds? Then doing this in his head isn't probably the most accurate method. Hell, he's working in a gym, not NASA. I doubt doing math in his head is his strong point.
From what you've described, the 14.5% sounds more accurate. jmho

dd

xcendo

Awards
He took it at three points: tricep, subscapula, and suprailiac. On the sheet he just wrote two of the skinfold measurements - 20 mm and 25 mm. I gotta assume the 25 mm is suprailiac.

Granted, he told me that my waist width can be explained by squatting and deadlifting, so he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer. He did use the calipers right, though...

Body fat Percentage puts this skinfold estimation at 8.1% bf. What the fck.

My weight is 187 lbs, height 5'10, age 18 if it helps.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
He took it at three points: tricep, subscapula, and suprailiac. On the sheet he just wrote two of the skinfold measurements - 20 mm and 25 mm. I gotta assume the 25 mm is suprailiac.

Granted, he told me that my waist width can be explained by squatting and deadlifting, so he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer. He did use the calipers right, though...

Body fat Percentage puts this skinfold estimation at 8.1% bf. What the fck.

My weight is 187 lbs, height 5'10, age 18 if it helps.
Sounds like he doesn't have a clue what he is doing. Just for sake of argument, if your average for THREE sites is around 22mm per site, then your BF is above 9% and probably closer to around 15% give or take.

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
Sorry for linking to a different forum, but you might find this helpful:
LINKY LINK LINK
From those pics you can see the difference between 12% and 10%.
It may help you to guage where you are.
KG
None of the links to pics on that page seem to work for me...

I'd say you're probably around 15%, that trainer obviously isn't good at doing skinfolds.

karategirl

karategirl

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
None of the links to pics on that page seem to work for me...

I'd say you're probably around 15%, that trainer obviously isn't good at doing skinfolds.
If you scroll down, the pictures are posted further down the page.
KG

moklepaul

moklepaul

Awards
  • Established
Calipers put me at 17%. My electric scale puts me at 15%. The "extremely accurate BF formula" puts me at 16%.

Not too different.

I'd say he did the math wrong. :)