Anabolic diet

New Body

Awards
I was thinking of trying this diet . . . Has anyone ever tried it and gotten good results? (I'm considering buying the Dr.'s book)

Here's a quick and dirty summary of the Anabolic diet:

Monday through Friday

Eat a diet consisting of 60% fat, 35% protein, and only 5% carbs. You'll get the fat and protein mainly from steak, hamburger, eggs, and fish. Turkey, chicken, and tuna are all okay, but the password here is red meat. You'll also eat full-fat cheeses, pepperoni, sausage, and certain nuts. The key is to generally avoid carbohydrates, eating only around 30 grams a day.

As for calories, the Anabolic diet has three phases—maintenance or start-up, mass, and cutting. We'll focus here on the start-up phase, which allows a person to gain some muscle and lose some fat. During this phase, which lasts about three to four weeks, you keep the macronutrient ratios above and eat calories equivalent to 18 times your bodyweight. In other words, a 200-pound male would consume 3,600 calories per day. The next two phases will simply manipulate those numbers while keeping the same 60/35/5 ratios. The start-up phase ends once your body has adjusted—in other words, you can **** without Metamucil and small pieces of plastic explosives—and has gone through the "metabolic shift."

Saturday and Sunday

Switch gears. On the weekends, eat 30% fat, 10% protein, and a whopping 60% carbs! Bring on the pizza, beer, and cheap sluts!

Note: Cheap sluts were suggested by TC, not Dr. DiPasquale.

Almost anything goes on the weekend. DiPasquale only cautions against taking this carb-loading period overboard and making yourself sick. The weekend food festival is important for many reasons, but the best thing is that it allows you to go out and be sociable like you normally would on the weekend, instead of sitting back and watching your friends have fun while you scan the pathetic "lite" section of the menu. This has a powerful psychological effect. For one, you know that you'll get to satisfy any craving you have during the week on the weekend, making it much easier to stick with the diet.

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
What is the Dr's reasoning for this kind of weekly nutrient cycle?

John Benz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Good prescription for turning into a complete tub of lard in just 8 weeks!
:saw:

New Body

Awards
Here's his explanation

Although it's been around longer than BodyOpus, you may not know much about Dr. Mauro DiPasquale's Anabolic diet. The general public is really clueless. This is primarily because DiPasquale didn't design it for them. You see, the good doctor is one of us. He's not only a gifted physician, he's a former world champion powerlifter who's set records in five different weight classes. He's held top positions in several bodybuilding, powerlifting and athletic organizations and still squats over 600 pounds. He's written several books on steroids and their uses in sports, but he's written the book on using food to mimic the anabolic effects of steroids. This came about partially because the World Bodybuilding Federation (now disbanded) wanted their athletes to get clean yet maintain their muscle mass and low bodyfat percentages. Dr. DiPasquale refined the Anabolic diet to help them do this. Could the effects of anabolic steroids be reproduced through the manipulation of diet? The answer, DiPasquale decided, was yes.

Let's look at the goals of the Anabolic diet, and then we'll get into the details. According to DiPasquale, the Anabolic diet will:

• naturally maximize production and utilization of the "Big Three" growth producers—testosterone, growth hormone, and insulin

• shift the body's metabolism from that of a sugar-burning, fat-producing machine to that of a fat-burning, muscle-building machine

• decrease catabolic activity in the body

• increase strength and endurance

• help you avoid health problems and stay in shape year round

• increase energy and decrease mood swings

• decrease even "problem area" fat

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Its a CKD. Whats the big deal?

New Body

Awards
Sorry BOBO but what's a CKD?

I was just wondering about this type of diet. I presently cycling my carb days (three low carb days one high carb day). For the past several months I've been on a low carb diet, high in protein and moderate in fats. (ex. 297 g protein, 106 g carbs & 64 g of protein totaling 2,188 cals)

I'm in a cutting phase

Any input would appreciated.
thanks

Draven

Awards
  • Established
Sorry BOBO but what's a CKD?
CKD stands for Cyclical Ketogenic Diet, a generic term for a diet that restricts carbohydrates to induce a metabolic state known as ketosis and includes a period of high carbohydrate eating to replenish glycogen stores depleted by exercise.

Check out www.c-k-d.com

andro69

andro69

Awards
  • Established
I remember Leo Costa (Big beyond belief) was promoting that diet. Saying that was all he was doing to attain the physique he had. Oh and his Bulgarian training methods. I've never tried but but am seriously condering it since you get that weekend carb load which may make it not too bad. I've always used a high protein, medium carb, low fat diet which used to always work perfectly for me. But I don't know if it's cause I'm getting older or what but my body isn't responding to it as quick as it used to. When do you guys following this type of high fat, high protein, no carb diet start seeing noticable results?

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by Bobo
Its a CKD. Whats the big deal?

I thought I was missing something for a minute there.

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
I was thinking of trying this diet . . . Has anyone ever tried it and gotten good results?
if you mean CKD (and it looks like ya do), then yeeeeah buddy! :eek:

hey Bobo... you should really think about promoting your "Bobobolics" diet. ;)

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
LOL....Combine Bobobolics and Bobodinol and you would be one huge ripped mofo! :D

Hey New Body, sorry about the short answer. I should of explained why it was a CKD. Luckily Draven got my back. ;)

John Benz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Saturday and Sunday

Switch gears. On the weekends, eat 30% fat, 10% protein, and a whopping 60% carbs! Bring on the pizza, beer,....
Bobo, where does pigging out on junk for 2 full days out of 7 fit into a CKD diet? And combining fats and carbs? :confused:

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thats whats Lyle Mcdonanld originally recommended. Fat + Carbs = High GI and GL. Thats what you want on a refeed. I don't like the fat though myself. I personally substitute carbs for fat when I refeed and keep protein levels high. But including the fat is what the original CKD was based on. I don't usually run a tpyical CKD now. I have my own version that works best for me. Both will work but personally I don't like pigging out so much. Puts me ion the wrong frame of mind for a cutting cycle.

New Body

Awards
BOBO can you give me an example of your version or direct me to the link if it's already available o this board.

Thanks

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well I do a typical CKD during the low carb phase. All my carbs are pre and post workout. The first refeed I do 14 days after I start, then 10 days, then 7, then 5, then 3. Depending how long I do it, its usally spaced out like that. I might do 10 days twice, 7 days twice, etc....
On my refeeds I just eliminate fat and substitute carbs. The first 6-10 hours are High GI then for the next day or day and a half, low GI. Thats pretty much it...

Forgot to add...The less time on a low carb, the less time the refeed is. So if I only go 3 days, then it would only be 5-6 hour refeed post workout. On my refeeds I stay around maintenance calories.

New Body

Awards
Thanks BOBO

I guess I need to learn more about what you guys talk about concerning this subject. Such as refeed the spacing of the refeed from 10 to 7 to5 days etc.

I do appreciate the effort guys.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
There is a wealth of info here on keto tpye diets. Just do a search and you should find more than enough to learn everything you need.

bachovas

bachovas

Awards
Originally posted by New Body
I was thinking of trying this diet . . . Has anyone ever tried it and gotten good results? (I'm considering buying the Dr.'s book)

Here's a quick and dirty summary of the Anabolic diet:

Monday through Friday

Eat a diet consisting of 60% fat, 35% protein, and only 5% carbs. You'll get the fat and protein mainly from steak, hamburger, eggs, and fish. Turkey, chicken, and tuna are all okay, but the password here is red meat. You'll also eat full-fat cheeses, pepperoni, sausage, and certain nuts. The key is to generally avoid carbohydrates, eating only around 30 grams a day.

As for calories, the Anabolic diet has three phases—maintenance or start-up, mass, and cutting. We'll focus here on the start-up phase, which allows a person to gain some muscle and lose some fat. During this phase, which lasts about three to four weeks, you keep the macronutrient ratios above and eat calories equivalent to 18 times your bodyweight. In other words, a 200-pound male would consume 3,600 calories per day. The next two phases will simply manipulate those numbers while keeping the same 60/35/5 ratios. The start-up phase ends once your body has adjusted—in other words, you can **** without Metamucil and small pieces of plastic explosives—and has gone through the "metabolic shift."

Saturday and Sunday

Switch gears. On the weekends, eat 30% fat, 10% protein, and a whopping 60% carbs! Bring on the pizza, beer, and cheap sluts!

Note: Cheap sluts were suggested by TC, not Dr. DiPasquale.

Almost anything goes on the weekend. DiPasquale only cautions against taking this carb-loading period overboard and making yourself sick. The weekend food festival is important for many reasons, but the best thing is that it allows you to go out and be sociable like you normally would on the weekend, instead of sitting back and watching your friends have fun while you scan the pathetic "lite" section of the menu. This has a powerful psychological effect. For one, you know that you'll get to satisfy any craving you have during the week on the weekend, making it much easier to stick with the diet.
Hello T-crap, I mean mag :p

New Body

Awards
Once again Thanks guys. I've already started my search.

New Body

Awards
Thanks for the link BOBO . . . that is some hard reading . . . but I started to outline my new weekly meal plan.

Although I only consume about 100-135 g of carbs now It was sure hard to bring it down to below 30 g.

I don't eat any junk food at all, including pizza and stuff like that. The hardest parrt for me is not knowing what to eat during the 1.5 days of high carbs (200 g).

I plan to start this sat. My high carb days will be on Fri and Sat (my wife's days off). Low carb Sat night through Thurs.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just remember not to count your post workout carbs. They don't count in the total amount for the day ;)

New Body

Awards
That's great to here. I was worried about my post workout drink. That allows me an additional 30 g of carb in my shake.

John Benz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Although I only consume about 100-135 g of carbs now It was sure hard to bring it down to below 30 g.

I don't eat any junk food at all, including pizza and stuff like that. The hardest parrt for me is not knowing what to eat during the 1.5 days of high carbs (200 g).
You would be better of eating low-GI carbs at all times. Lots to choose from, oatmeal, whole grains, rice, sweet potatoes, whole wheat bread, green vegetables, and even some high GI fruits for their anti-oxidant and anti-carginogenic benefits, and also their ability to quickly refill liver glycogen stores depleted by a low-carb regimen. I would still stay away from absolute junk, like pizza and beer.....and all products high in maltodextrin/dexrose.

New Body

Awards
Thanks John Benz . . . that really helps with my weekend carbs choices.

andro69

andro69

Awards
  • Established
When do you guys following this type of high fat, high protein, no carb diet start seeing noticable results?
And how long does it take for your body to switch from burning carbs to fats?

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
Depends on the individual. Anywhere from 2-6 days.

Lgoosey

Awards
Bobo:

On my refeeds I stay around maintenance calories.
Wouldn't this defeat the purpose of a refeed or even a simple "carb-up"

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
Bobo:

Why? Not sure I understand the point. The purpose of the carb-up is glycogen compensation.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Bobo:

No not really. Total muscle glycogen is around 300-350g so whether its high or low GI doesn't make a difference. High GI would do it quicker but since the time limit is two days, I don't see a problem. I usally start with High GI for a couple of hours giving me the chance to eat some nice junk food, then taper it down for the rest. But either way glycogen will fill up and have the same effect on letpin levels overall.

New Body

Awards
Today was going to be my first day on a 30g or less carb diet with 75% being fat and 25% protein but I have found it hard getting my fat that high. Today I got my fat up to 163g from my usual 65g, protein is around 230g and carbs 21g.

What I've decided to do is to use this week to experiment with foods until I reach the desire goal and officially start my diet next saturday.

Quick 2 quesiton . . .
1- Is it ok to add fats to my shakes?
2- I never eat butter but have decided to add it to my diet. I bought Smart Balance (non-hydrogenated). It's made from soy, palm, canola & olive. Is butter ok to add as fats in this deit?

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
Any fat is acceptable on a CKD, providing that carbs are under 20g/day. You can add fat to your shakes, just not post w/o.

New Body

Awards
Hey Guys should I worry that my toal daily cals is increasing with the added fats?

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
Hey Guys should I worry that my toal daily cals is increasing with the added fats?
Regardless of whether or not you add fats, your caloric intake should still be below maintenance while cutting. Post your diet.

New Body

Awards
This is todays diet plan:

Meal one: Eggs (4 white + 4 whole) 38 Protein / 20 fat / 0 carb
Turkey Bacon 12 P / 30 f / 0 c

Meal two: 1/2 can chicken 37.5 p / 3.75 f / 0 c
EV Olive Oil (1 tbsp) 0 p / 14 f / 0 c

Meal three: 1 Can tuna 37.5 p / 2.5 f / 0 c

Meal four: Protein SHK with water (8oz) 22 p / 2 f / 3 c
Natural Peanut butter 9 p / 16 f / 6 c

Meal five: Chicken Breast (1) 34 p / 3.5 f / 0 c
EV Olive Oil (1 tbsp) 0 p / 14 f /0 c

Meal six: Post workout
Protein Shake with water (16oz) 44 p / 4 f / 6 c
Natural Peanut butter 9 p / 16 f / 6 c

Total: 243 Protein / 148.75 fat / 21 carbs

Since I work tonight until 2 am I'll probably have another meal (7) of chicken.

I was thinking of adding 1 cup of oat meal as part of my post workout. BOBO had stated that I don't need to add post workout carbs to my totals. (This would add 54 g carbs to my post workout meal)

I also plan to add other fats such as flaxseed oil as well as more red meats.

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
Before I say anything, I didn't notice your height or weight. It looks like too muck protein and too little fat.

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
180g of each looks about right. If you're not comfortable going that low in protein, adjust it accordingly. However, that much protein is unecessary, and the fat must be increased. But, if you're in ketosis and feel good, do your thing.

New Body

Awards
Thanks, I'll see where I can increase my fats. Maybe I'll double the Olive oil to 2 TBSP for now.

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
Do not increase fats at the sake up increasing overall cals. Decrease protein some at the same time to assure you remain under maintenance.

New Body

Awards
By tomorrow I will have my Protein down to 185, my fat up to 200.75 and carbs steady at 30 g

Thanks Scotty2

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
My math has you at over 2500 cals. IMO, bring fat to about 180.

New Body

Awards
Done it's now 185 protein, 182.25 fats and 30 carbs

New Body

Awards
Hey Scotty I hate to hit you with another question, but I was just wondering about my 26 -36 hours of weekend carbs. Should I try and keep my cals at 2500?