Diet Soda Question

zawodwiec

Awards
Hi, I have a possibly damb question regarding diet sodas. Right now I'm on a cutting diet.. abou my stats: 5'7, 166pounds, around 14-15%body fat. My goal is to go down to 9-10%. My diet is pretty much in check, I have also been taking Dicana for 4 days, and I will add venom hyperdrive this week. Now, what I want to know is whether drinking large amounts of diet sodas (Coke, Fanta, etc etc) will stunt my progress in any way? i consume between one to two 2L bottles each day as I find that it is the only "no calories" sweet thing. I'd really like to know if this is not good for dieting, please post ur answers. Thanks

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hi, I have a possibly damb question regarding diet sodas. Right now I'm on a cutting diet.. abou my stats: 5'7, 166pounds, around 14-15%body fat. My goal is to go down to 9-10%. My diet is pretty much in check, I have also been taking Dicana for 4 days, and I will add venom hyperdrive this week. Now, what I want to know is whether drinking large amounts of diet sodas (Coke, Fanta, etc etc) will stunt my progress in any way? i consume between one to two 2L bottles each day as I find that it is the only "no calories" sweet thing. I'd really like to know if this is not good for dieting, please post ur answers. Thanks
You should be worried about the diuretic effect from carbonation. You could try some crystal light if you need something sweet to drink.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
If he's getting enough water (2 gal+ with that amount) I don't see a problem.

Do take into account that they have quite a bit of sodium (at that amount per day).

mtruther

mtruther

Awards
I wouldn't want to be drinking 2 L of Fresca or Diet Sprite a day. Diet sodas are still harsh on your teeth, with the citrusy ones being the worst.

BigMattTx

BigMattTx

Awards
  • Established
I took a Nutrition class last semester and the teacher strictly warned against using anything with Aspartame. Aspartame has tons of side effects but in small amounts, I dont worry about it too much. Anyway, she insisted that if your gonna have a coke, have a regular one, never diet.

Also, this is kind of questionable as to the extent to which it happens but these artificial sweetners do raise insulin to an extent...certainly not to the level that sugar does.

Funny Monkey

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Aspartme is horrible. Thats why I don't do diet. If I need somethign sweet I will through some splenda on it. I have noticed in my experience with losing bodyfat that I achieve my goals more easily without artificial sweetner, but I know sometimes you just want something sweet damnit.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Also, this is kind of questionable as to the extent to which it happens but these artificial sweetners do raise insulin to an extent...certainly not to the level that sugar does.
Where did you get the info that they increase insulin output?

Zero calorie sweetners will have a negligible impact on blood glucose levels and hence insulin output. Artificial sweetners such as sugar alcohols are not zero-calorie so will impact insulin levels.

BigMattTx

BigMattTx

Awards
  • Established
I heard that from my nutrition professor who has a PHD. I did a quick google search and found this page http://www.americaninsurancedepot.com/diabetes/sweet.htm

"Most people don't realize that common sweeteners such as table sugar, honey, brown sugar, high fructose corn syrup, Stevia and artificial sweeteners such as Equal and Sweet ON Low are all high glycemic, which means they WILL elevate insulin and blood sugar (glucose) levels. Elevated insulin and glucose levels encourages the body to store fat and greatly increases your chances of developing serious illnesses."

Its not a reliable scientific source but do some searching and you will see. I also believe it is just some of the artificial sweetners and not all.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
IMO there seems to be much erroneous info on that website.

Here is a link to an article from the FDA on artificial sweeteners that has some good info: http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/fdsugar.html

And a quote:
Other organizations give aspartame and the other approved sugar substitutes a thumbs up. For example, the American Heart Association endorses their use by diabetics and those on weight-loss diets. The American Diabetes Association calls sugar substitutes "free foods" because they make food taste sweet, but they have essentially no calories and do not raise blood sugar levels.

What it really comes down to is how many calories the product contains. So to go back to the original question, zero calorie foods are not going to impact a weight loss regimen.

As for the insulin issue, insulin is hormone that regulates energy storage and it reacts to increases in blood glucose levels. If a food contains no usable macronutrients then there can be no impact on blood glucose and hence no reason for the body to produce insulin.

BigMattTx

BigMattTx

Awards
  • Established
IMO there seems to be much erroneous info on that website.

Here is a link to an article from the FDA on artificial sweeteners that has some good info: http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/fdsugar.html

And a quote:
Other organizations give aspartame and the other approved sugar substitutes a thumbs up. For example, the American Heart Association endorses their use by diabetics and those on weight-loss diets. The American Diabetes Association calls sugar substitutes "free foods" because they make food taste sweet, but they have essentially no calories and do not raise blood sugar levels.

What it really comes down to is how many calories the product contains. So to go back to the original question, zero calorie foods are not going to impact a weight loss regimen.

As for the insulin issue, insulin is hormone that regulates energy storage and it reacts to increases in blood glucose levels. If a food contains no usable macronutrients then there can be no impact on blood glucose and hence no reason for the body to produce insulin.
Never say never. The data that both of us posted is somewhat biased. Yours supports Aspartame, which is known to have many dangers and mine supports a different sweetner. I do believe that some artificial sweetners to raise blood glucose levels to some extent. You have to consider that most of these sweetners are about 10x sweeter than sugar so less is used.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Never say never.
What are you referring to?

The data that both of us posted is somewhat biased. Yours supports Aspartame, which is known to have many dangers and mine supports a different sweetner.
I think you missed the point of that article. It debunks some of the 'many dangers' that have been attached to various artificial sweeteners. Personally, versus information from a scientific establishment that has done related testing (FDA), I do not place faith in an article that is an anecdotal personal account by someone with no listed scientific credentials or testing methodology - especially from an insurance site that contains links to retailers.

Additonally, 'dangers' have to be subjected to risk analysis. The FDA has tested and concluded that the mentioned sweeteners are safe for general consumption. Driving your car can be deadly, eating healthy food can be a choking hazard, etc. If the original poster's priority was scrutinizing miniscule health risks, I would think that the non-FDA evaluated diet products that he is using would rank higher than the sweeteners found in diet sodas.
I do believe that some artificial sweetners to raise blood glucose levels to some extent. You have to consider that most of these sweetners are about 10x sweeter than sugar so less is used.
Which sweeteners are you referring to and how much will they affect bood glucose levels? It is important that you make that distinction. Diet sodas typically contain zero-calorie artificial sweeteners, which as I have said neither contribute to caloric intake nor to increased blood glucose levels. FYI said sweeteners are 200-600 times sweeter (not 10X) than sugar: http://equal.com/health/facts.html

If it seems like I am nitpicking it is because I am. Hearsay and opinions are not fact and cannot be accepted as such. Additionally, even established facts must be taken in context to the specific situation.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Bah!

Anyone tried the new Diet Dr. Pepper flavors? Cherry Vanilla and Berries and Cream?
:woohoo:

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've read that artificial sweeteners can lower your metabolism. I don't know the severity of it however. That's a lot of diet pop.

Berries and Cream Diet Dr. Pepper tastes like crap, in my opinion, but the cherry vanilla is pretty good.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I like the berries and cream but I only get a diet soda when i'm craving sugar. For some reason it stops the craving. I'll drink a diet soda over a regular one any day.

BigMattTx

BigMattTx

Awards
  • Established
If it seems like I am nitpicking it is because I am. Hearsay and opinions are not fact and cannot be accepted as such. Additionally, even established facts must be taken in context to the specific situation.
I wasnt trying to have an arguement...just bringing up some information that was brought to my attention by a nutrition professor that has a PH.D take it for what its worth.

although i do agree with you that the health risks are quite exaggerated for whatever reason. everything in moderation tho.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I like the berries and cream but I only get a diet soda when i'm craving sugar. For some reason it stops the craving. I'll drink a diet soda over a regular one any day.

seriously, I think the diet versions taste better.

Achilles13

:::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
Awards
  • Established
IMO the diet sodas are better. From my experience when not drinking diet sodas while cutting(drinking crystal light instead) i've been leaner. Recently i've substituted the crystal light with diet sodas and I am NOWHERE near as lean as I use to be. Yes, diet has been clean so and cardio has been somewhat the same. From my experience I would go with crstyal light than diet sodas.

BTW, drinking any coke product will be bad for you. Drink more pepsi!:thumbsup:

faerieeyes3

faerieeyes3

Awards
Diet energy drinks have the same stuff in them like SF red bull and Lo Carb Monster. Will it have the same effects? I doubt it. I know I love it before I work out.

darkpoet3113

Awards
have to to agreed with achille here, i find i 'm leaner when drinking crystal light for some reason, but i still drink deit soda once in a while...
cheers,
darkpoet3113

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Davy25 Nutrition / Health 32
Nutrition / Health 40
brockles Weight Loss 1
Nutrition / Health 28
mister ed Nutrition / Health 43