What is the best portable protein that's real food?

baham99

Awards
Protein bars are out, cuz you can't eat it all day with all that sugar, and it's not good for ya anyway since it's not real. Other than sliced grilled chicken breast, what else is there that's high in protein and a real food that's clean enough to carry around outside of home? These days I carry a half a dozen bagles wherever I go...I get all my calories and never have an empty stomach, but the tradeoff is I end with much more carbs and very little protein.

Btw...I was always too out of the loop to ask this...what is Keto?

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
Nuts is the best "portable" protein food, portable being the keyword. There are other less preferrable for "portablilty" but would be good for protein like the obvious chicken, etc.

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Tuna is good. Peanut butter, as Jake mentioned nuts (make sure they arent salted or coated.)

As far as Keto, theres a sticky about it in the nutrition section

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
There are ton of other foods that are less portable. What are you restrictions as far as transporting the food?

labrad

Awards
  • Established
You can also get canned chicken breast. For those of you who can't stand the taste of tuna.

Hard boiled eggs are not a bad idea. Not sure how long they would last unrefrigerated, but I would think at least 6 hours.

Yeah, as Jake asked what are your restrictions? If you have access to a refrigerator at work or school then the sky is the limit.

RaulJimenez

Awards
  • Established
Eggs are my portable meal, easy to carry around in a backpack, eat it and go to my class.

Hal

Awards
Eggs, nuts & jerky are all great. My folks used to hide easter eggs around the house on Easter and they'd be out att least 12 hours before they were all found and I never got sick from that--they are fully cooked----of course, I'll toss a couple cooked chicken breasts in a tupperware container and graze on them after they've been out all day--maybe I just have a strrong constitution. A package of hot dogs works good too, especially if you're keto.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
mine are peanuts and cashews and homemade bars. however, like most have said already, canned tuna/chicken, hard-boiled eggs can easily be carried around all day but the stink gonna get to the people around you. (i personally dont care....ha) Sage

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
yeah, eggs are a great choice, used to carry some to class as well, I'd just take em out and pop a few during lecture I don't care. fuckin double bump to the homemade bars... dammit those fuckers taste sooo good... and I'd say probably preserve better for longer periods of time.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
yeah i carry beef jerky with me sometimes.. like zero fat and a shitload of protein... tuna is good too although unless its albecore your breathe will be smelled by everyone within a 4 block radius so i suggest gum too ;)

Nelson

I`ve stopped using gum because of the sugar in it - only realised it had lots sugar recently.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
I`ve stopped using gum because of the sugar in it - only realised it had lots sugar recently.
umm...there are sugar-free (sugar alchohol) gums partner (ha....kidding) Sage

Cardinal

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
These days, I always carry a jar of almond butter with me. Tastes better than any peanut butter imo (except skippy maybe).

Also, protein pancakes are highly portable and taste decent. I just use egg whites, oats and cinammon. Blend, fry and refridgerate. Great protein + carb meal on the go.

locoangmo

Awards
Cottage cheese, low carb bars, myoplex, homemade yogurt mixed with fruit, or just whey in a shaker bottle I add water to. It really depends on what diet I am on.
LOCO

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
dry roasted vs all the other kinds, honey roasted etc that are sugar/salt coated and what have you... no good fo you... salt ain't bad in moderation, but there's no point in taking in shitloads via your little peanut snack

baham99

Awards
Whoa...these are all great ideas. I personally like the sound of beef jerky. Sounds clean, won't go bad, and convenient. Opening a can of tuna or peeling an egg is gonna get some attention...I like it!! I'll do that during class tomorrow. As for my portability restrictions, I don't have too much freedom. It's in my bag or car all day. I just feel I'm eating WAAAY too much sugar from protein bars...so I wanted something more rich in protein, and more efficent than huge as bagels. I don't know how to find uncoated peanut butter...I'll work on that one. (Aren't they real fattening?)

JohnGafnea

Awards
I love beef jerky but I have 2 problems with it. One it's too expensive and two I can't control myself when I have it. :(

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
well all good suggestions....but when i was in college, i kept a blender in my car.......when i wanted a shake...walked out there...brought the blender into the one cafe...plugged the fucker in and and started blending...... VVVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

**** was loud and lotsa people stared (jealous i think) but oh well....after i was done....washed it in a sink then back into my car......all in about 15 minutes.

jerkey is good, but like others said you dont wanna get too much sodium in just your snacks, so just try and get a low sodium one.....or TURKEY JERKEY.....

shiats expensive though....

h19

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
also, i remember i used to drink these shakes in a can. it was pure protien (like the bars) from WWN. THey only had like 2g carbs and were real portable. Im not sure if they make them anymore though.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
try and find some homemade jerky somewhere.. cheap as hell and its ten times better :)..

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by LakeMountD
try and find some homemade jerky somewhere.. cheap as hell and its ten times better :)..

my friends father makes venison jerkey..thats some good ish

Zen_Lifter

Awards
Whoa...these are all great ideas. I personally like the sound of beef jerky. Sounds clean, won't go bad, and convenient. Opening a can of tuna or peeling an egg is gonna get some attention...I like it!! I'll do that during class tomorrow. As for my portability restrictions, I don't have too much freedom. It's in my bag or car all day. I just feel I'm eating WAAAY too much sugar from protein bars...so I wanted something more rich in protein, and more efficent than huge as bagels. I don't know how to find uncoated peanut butter...I'll work on that one. (Aren't they real fattening?)
well in that case, you have NO restrictions :)
hardcore lifters have a cooler in their car and a portable cooler in school/work bags :) anything goes with a cooler....When I'm out all day I stack a cooler full of tuna, cottage cheese, rice you name it.....doesnt set me back a bit.

SCORPIO

Awards
  • Established
I make my own MRP's....Take some zip-lok snack bags....1scoop whey...1/3 cup skim milk powder....1 tbs fiber (phsillium husks) and a shaker cup. Make several packets....when you're ready dump the powder into your shaker with water, shake and chug. You could also add ground flax seeds or oatmeal which is what I am looking into doing next.

Hal

Awards
I've made really tasty jerky in two different ways. First, you can buy a cheap roast, slice it into thin strips and marinade it with some bottled smoke, chili pepper, cumin and/or whatever else you like (bottled teriaki sauce is good too). After a day in the fridge, hang it with Christmas ornament hooks on the top rack of your oven and let it go at the lowest temp overnight. I've also taken hamburger, mixed spices with it and squeezed it out of a cookie gun onto waxed paper and put that in a dehydrator overnight.

T-Bar

Awards
I like that new tuna that comes in the bag. No cans to open and you dont have to drain it. I buy cases of .5 liter bottles of water (can't stand tap water) and after I drink the water I use the bottle to make an RTD MRP.

Hal

Awards
I refill the bottles half-way with filtered water and freeze 'em. Before I leave I top 'em off with more filtered water.

SUPAJAwS1

Awards
One of my favorite things is string cheese sticks. Go get a bag of those, the reduced fat ones, each stick has like 7g protein and theyre pretty small so you could eat like 2-4 at once for a good amount of protein

tatortodd

Awards
  • Established
Protein bars are the ultimate in portability, and there are a few low carb brands that taste good. I'm a big fan of Universal Nutrition's Dr. Carbrite Bars (8 different flavors). You can get 4 out of their 8 flavors at easypricematch.com for as low as $21.80 per box of 20 (5% discount by beating dpsnutrition.net). Nutritionexpress.com carries all 8 flavors and charges a reasonable $23.80 per box of 20.

~Todd

mcjosh13

Awards
I may be missing something here from all you nut eaters, but although nuts are a good source of efa's isn't the protein content preety much unusable for muscle building being as it is a incomplete protein.

Gethuge

Gethuge

Awards
  • Established
I haven't noticed anyone mention milk? I carry two litres of the stuff in rubermaid bottles and drink them throughout the day.

Rebel

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I was always told begals were not good to eat is this incorrect?

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Almost everything, in my opinion, is portable. When I wa sin school (8 years ago now) I brought my oversized cooler to classes with me each and everyday. Our cafeteria had a microwave which allowed me to heat up the meals that required heating.

The only time things got tricky is when you're dieting down - no sandwiches allowed :(

A

skoal

Awards
Cook up a sirloin or london broil (or chicken), in one of those tupperware contrainers toss in some salad and slice thin slices of the meat. You can carry around most salad dressings all day without them going bad if they are fat free. All you need is a fork and chow down. Beef jerky is great too, check into the Wal-Mart brand. They have a big bag (something like 8 servings) for about 8 bucks.

The new foil pouch tina isn't a bad idea but with that breath all you'll attract are stray cats, and that's just the wrong kind of pussy. Peanut butter is a good choice but most of the all natural kinds need to be refridgerated. If you're counting cals then go for a low fat type. Slice up an apple, let it sit for about a minute in water with some lemon juice and it will keep from going brown for a few hours (aren't anti-oxidents great?).

Everyday I load up enough for 3 meals at work. One is a protien drink, one a decent meal and one ussually an omlette made with egg beaters, some fat free or low fat cheese, some canadian bacon and some salsa on top. Yummy. I make it all the night before and then just pop it in the microwave for a minute at work.

TravTriggz

Awards
yea reduced fat but, thats still alot of fat in probably just 1 stick let alone 4.
what kinda beef jerkey should i eat people. where can i buy it :)

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Man, what's with the real food hard on :D when you are putting down ~400g protein/day, you're lucky to get half of that from "real" food. When I'm going to be out of the house all day I make a shake with 9-10 scoops of whey and like 5 cups of fruit juice, and water for consistency... Sipping that over the course of the day does me right.

skoal

Awards
The reason for the real food is that there are additional health benfits from the food that you just don't get from protien powders. Plus real food tastes great :) And I'm one of those people who don't believe in ultra high protien. I'm not saying it isn't good for some people, or maybe even most people but I've found when I push my protien up over 250 grams a day I tend to put on fat. I do believe that two people can have very different abosrbtion levels of nutritants. It's probably one of those evolution things. But in this day and age with such abundant food supplies it isn't as much of a factor, except that some people will more likely put on fat.

I'm not sure but exnihilo, I think you and I carry about the same amount of weight and are relatively the same proportions, muscularly speaking of course. So there has to be something that allows both of us to reach that level with very different diets.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
I lose weight when I push protein over 250g/day if calories are in check, and I feel better than dieting down on a lower protein diet. On a high protein bulking diet, again, I just feel better when dealing with a high workload.

I remember seeing some research that showed that under very intense training programs nitrogen retention and some other markers for protein utilization didn't hit their peak till around 2.6g/kg or perhaps even more than that.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Man, what's with the real food hard on :D when you are putting down ~400g protein/day, you're lucky to get half of that from "real" food. When I'm going to be out of the house all day I make a shake with 9-10 scoops of whey and like 5 cups of fruit juice, and water for consistency... Sipping that over the course of the day does me right.

Not that hard at all.

I would be dropping mud all day if I had that much whey.

:D

skoal

Awards
I'd like to see a similar study done but looking at protien absorbed instead of ingested. If I had to make a guess, I would say that absorbtion rates vary between people. Not only for protien but also for calories. Ever notice how two people with weight and ratios may eat very different calories to maintain that weight?

The best thing to do is experiment with different levels of calories and grams of protien. I might be on the low end, which seems to work for me, and you might be on the high end and that certainly works for you. Currently I'm probably around 200 grams of protien a day and 2500 calories and have put on about 5 pounds and 1/4" on my arms in the last 2 months.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Most studies show that anything over 1.5g/kg increased gluconeogensis greatly so the majority over a certain point gets converted into glucose anyway. If you take in large amounts of fast absorbing protein this will increase it further.

So in essence you are using it, but not for the purposes you think you are (or paid for).

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
I would be dropping mud all day if I had that much whey.:D
That's too much information Bobo! But, I do hear ya on that one. :blink:

I'll take a real food diet over a liquid diet any day. I'll save the liquids when I'm wearing diapers and unable to care for myself.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Most studies show that anything over 1.5g/kg increased gluconeogensis greatly so the majority over a certain point gets converted into glucose anyway. If you take in large amounts of fast absorbing protein this will increase it further.

So in essence you are using it, but not for the purposes you think you are (or paid for).
Sip, sip sip.

Lyle has a study laying around somewhere that showed, if I recall correctly, that 70% of a protein meal was being used for gluconeogenesis right off the top, when a certain amount of daily protein was being taken in.

Honestly though, whey is cheap, doesn't cause me gas or any sort of gastric issues, and we've yet to see any studies done on top level competitive athletes with an exhaustive analysis of a multitude of biological markers, besides just simple nitrogen retention. Add in the fact that I physically feel better with an increased protein intake (between 1.25 and 1.5g/lb) and it seems like a no brainer to me. Could be the placebo effect though lol.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lyle has a study laying around somewhere that showed, if I recall correctly, that 70% of a protein meal was being used for gluconeogenesis right off the top, when a certain amount of daily protein was being taken in.

Honestly though, whey is cheap, doesn't cause me gas or any sort of gastric issues, and we've yet to see any studies done on top level competitive athletes with an exhaustive analysis of a multitude of biological markers, besides just simple nitrogen retention. Add in the fact that I physically feel better with an increased protein intake (between 1.25 and 1.5g/lb) and it seems like a no brainer to me. Could be the placebo effect though lol.

It depends on the meal. Whole foods would convert less. Those studies use liquid solutions for the most part in a depleted state to guage reference points but I wouldn't be surprised if the rate was high.

Plus when your taking in that much protein the thermic effect of food starts to become a factor.