BMR, 40/40/20 and 40/30/30 spreadsheet

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
Here is a spreadsheet that I was working on for a couple of hours last night...

Page 1: Enter your info where the red numbers are and BAM!! ;)

Page 2: (see above) :p

Attachments

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
aha, here we go :D ... nice LG... now to update that PH sheet you made, clean it up and get it on here! ;)

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
Nice, I like that sheet LG, good work! I may write up a .exe program later that does the same thing (for people without excel) :)

Nelson

Useful

Thanks LG
Do you use the same formula as MathewD to calculate BMR?

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
yes I used the same formula (Harris-Benedict formula, courtesy of YJ's weight gain sticky) except MattD's chart did not include the thermic effect of food, so I added that in...

Timbo

Awards
LifeGuard, that's pretty sweet, bro. I just have one technical exception to which I'd like to call attention.

That is, the blue number that is labeled as Final BMR is actually incorrectly labeled. As you indicated above, the Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) is the number you get with the Harris-Benedict equation. When you add in activity factors, exercise and the thermic effect of food, you get the resultant Total Daily Energy Expenditure (or some equivalent).

BMR and Resting Metabolic Rate--while not completely identical--represent the amount of energy that one expends to carry on normal physiological processes.

I really hate to get all nit-picky--especially with such a cool and useful program--but I do think it's important in this case to have the terminology sound.

Anyway, LifeGuard, excellent job...Karma for you.

Draven

Awards
  • Established
Hey LG, if you like, send me all the equations and I'll make a webpage that does this and you can add it to your http://www.teenbody-building.com site for everyone to use regardless of what browser, comp etc. they have. Just an idea, let meknow.

Chemo

Chemo

Brewing Anabolic Minds
Awards
  • Established
Draven,

Sounds interesting...you gonna do it in Java or Flash?

Chemo

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
Timbo:

I called the blue number the "final BMR" because:

1. I wanted to make it as user-friendly as possible (avoiding all complex terms for the lesser-educated members of the board(s) )
2. the blue number is the number by which you would base all other values off of (ex. gain/lose weight).

its all good, I'l remember your comments the next time I make another sheet.

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
Hey LG I'm not sure whose formula is wrong, but I've been using Matthew Ds released version, and his Beta. I just plugged my numbers into yours and it's off 527 calories. I know that YJ checked out Matther D's and his numbers were right on with what YJ came up on paper. And idea whose is right? I also just private messaged Matthew D to see if he thought about adding total grams of pro, carbs, and fat for the day based on a percentage of what you want to take in. Just a thought.

Draven

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by Chemo
Draven,

Sounds interesting...you gonna do it in Java or Flash?

Chemo

Just in Javascript. That way there's no need to reload anything, it'll do the calcs in realtime. Could do it with PHP too but that would require pressing a submit button to aquire the results.

I still need all the equations to do it though. Someone want to PM me them?

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by N'Pursuit
Hey LG I'm not sure whose formula is wrong, but I've been using Matthew Ds released version, and his Beta. I just plugged my numbers into yours and it's off 527 calories. I know that YJ checked out Matther D's and his numbers were right on with what YJ came up on paper. And idea whose is right?
Ummm...I have been going through the numbers (of both of our sheets) for like the past 20 mins and either I am doing the math wrong or something else is fishy, because I cant find a difference in out formulas, but the end answer is different..I have to take a break from this...I'll try again later...

I also just private messaged Matthew D to see if he thought about adding total grams of pro, carbs, and fat for the day based on a percentage of what you want to take in. Just a thought.
go to page 2 of my sheet and you will find exactly that ;)

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by Lifeguard
go to page 2 of my sheet and you will find exactly that ;)

LOL sweet on that.  I didn't even notice it.

I'm hoping your's is right since my diet is about 10 calories off of what your BMR says for cutting. 

Panther06

Awards
LG,

I tried your spreadsheet and it said my final BMR is 2931.387 with 3431.387 to gain a pound a week. I did matt Ds formula and his was 3480, i have my caloric intake at 3969, I dont know If I am figuring something wrong here or what.

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
Yeah panther, I dont know what is wrong with either of the spreadsheets :confused:

Tell you what...

Keep eating 3969 cals/week, and if you gain about 2 pounds per week, then my sheet is right... :p If you gain 1 pound per week, then Matt's is right ;)

Only time will tell...heheheh

Panther06

Awards
alright, ive been at about 3500 and maintaining weight so we'll see bro:)

nice spreadsheet though!

SUPAJAwS1

Awards
founds the errors...i think

LG, Was just comparing your formula and Matt D's and trying to find out where you went wrong in the formula...pretty sure I found it bro

In your formula you were taking the BMR and multiplying that by .10 to find your thermic food effect. The correct way is to take (BMR + activity factor) and multiply that .10, you were forgetting to add the activity factor to the BMR. So the equation looks like this (BMR + AF) X .10

Also the 2nd error in your calculations was, you were subtracting the thermic food effect from the (BMR + AF), where as it needs to be added to be done properly

-taken from YJ's post
***This Thermic food effect # must be ADDED to your BMR + Activity Factor!

so there ya go bro, fix those up and urs will be right on track with Matt D's

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
ah ha!...good ****...thanks bro

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
BAM!!!...all fixed up...thank you soooo much...that was boggling my mind for like a week

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Georgiepecker Nutrition / Health 5
Georgiepecker Nutrition / Health 5
Weight Loss 1
floyd88jaus Weight Loss 6
Weight Loss 0