Vegetarian Relapse

Anzview360

Anzview360

Awards
Most people by looking at me wouldn't be able to tell I am a vegetarian. I have been vegetarian for the last 4 years and some change (vegan for the first 2)! However, I found that when switching from a meat eating diet to a veggie one, that I barley lost any weight. When I say weight yes I mean the scale, but I also noticed I wasn't getting any leaner. Pre veggie I weighed roughly 225-235lbs at 74", BF around 14-18%, and as a vegetarian after the first year I was the same!!! Let me add here before y 'all do on the comments. I workout almost everyday in the military and most days it was twice (weight training on my own). As a new vegetarian I ate so clean (whole foods, hella veggies) and balanced like a man who just been baptized! That's a little back story to what I am bout to say.

Now that's out the way, I'll try and keep this part short. I recently tried the keto diet (vegetarian of course), thinking that it would help me lose some weight. It was working beautifully. Not only was I getting more defined, I also had strong ab definition. After 2 months on keto I couldn't bare it anymore. Big mistake. I rebounded so hard that I had to take a break. So I started eating bad, I mean really bad. I was so upset that I reverted back to eating meat. Not only did I gain back to my homeostatic weight, But I "Yo-Yoed" 20lbs heavier. Now, I am back on the road to my goals, which has changed from applying a healthy lifestyle to learning MY body. Because, I am just not sure what is going on with my body. Maybe too much supplement abuse? maybe my body rejects carbs? IDK. This goes against everything I learned in school with my two healthcare and fitness related degrees and certification.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Surely your two degrees should tell you that caloric balance is the primary dictator of changes in weight.

It seems like it’d be more difficult to hit optimal/high protein intake as a vegetarian with low calories unless you use a lot of supplements/powders.

Why vegetarian? Ethical, moral, or theological reasons? If not, if you think it’s somehow healthier to never ever eat even a single bite of meat, I’d have to question your degrees lol.

Anzview360

Anzview360

Awards
Lol, well one of my degrees tells me that. But, I have slowly cut my calories and I have also counted every bit of food I ate. I did notice that when I committed to a vegetarian lifestyle, that my daily protein went down and carbs went up (which is obvious for such a change).I did eventually get it up to 40/40/20 split. However, I personally think I may have an issue with processing grains. When I went on keto the weight came off at a steady pace, with no sign of stalling. Also, no counting of any macros (besides carbs) or calories. I just couldn't commit to that life. I went vegetarian for multiple reasons, but mainly ethical.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Lol, well one of my degrees tells me that. But, I have slowly cut my calories and I have also counted every bit of food I ate. I did notice that when I committed to a vegetarian lifestyle, that my daily protein went down and carbs went up (which is obvious for such a change).I did eventually get it up to 40/40/20 split. However, I personally think I may have an issue with processing grains. When I went on keto the weight came off at a steady pace, with no sign of stalling. Also, no counting of any macros (besides carbs) or calories. I just couldn't commit to that life. I went vegetarian for multiple reasons, but mainly ethical.
So what exactly is your issue/concern/question? Or are you just sort of venting here?

Anzview360

Anzview360

Awards
Yeah, I am just crying to you guys lol. I want to talk myself back into keto, but I don't think that will work, unless I start eating meat again.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, I am just crying to you guys lol. I want to talk myself back into keto, but I don't think that will work, unless I start eating meat again.
Ok. I wasn’t sure if you were asking something lol. I also agree that keto as a strict vegetarian would be rather difficult. What about eggs? Sort of a middle ground between vegetarian and eating actual meat? Eggs have lots of protein and fat. And they’re cheap, easy, and tasty!

Anzview360

Anzview360

Awards
Keto on vegetarian gets difficult as hell, unless you like eating the same meals or have plenty of time to plan and cook. I do eat eggs now. I think my next plan I will cut out grains and see how that works out. Carb cycling could also be a possibility, but my schedule can be to crazy to try that. Really I just want to find that balance of eating healthy foods I enjoy without gaining weight and religiously monitoring everything lol.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Keto on vegetarian gets difficult as hell, unless you like eating the same meals or have plenty of time to plan and cook. I do eat eggs now. I think my next plan I will cut out grains and see how that works out. Carb cycling could also be a possibility, but my schedule can be to crazy to try that. Really I just want to find that balance of eating healthy foods I enjoy without gaining weight and religiously monitoring everything lol.
How do you do with rice? Sweet potatoes? Those could be good primary carb sources.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Look into carb back loading by John Kiefer. It is a modified way to do keto, eating carb laden dinners on the evenings of the days you train. The days you dont train, eat strict keto through the day. Also, watch the documentary called the magic pill on Netflix. There was a vegan on there, for ethical reasons, who ended up going back to meat after finding out veganism was not truly an ethical alternative. She gives step by step to show why it isn't, and why she went back to meat.

Anzview360

Anzview360

Awards
Well more why vego and keto? Making life incredibly difficult for yourself there and im struggling to see the benefit?
I like to experiment and try different things. I actually did the vegetarian keto because of a few friends that said it was pretty good. Personally I don’t like the taste of meat anymore, except maybe chicken

Anzview360

Anzview360

Awards
Look into carb back loading by John Kiefer. It is a modified way to do keto, eating carb laden dinners on the evenings of the days you train. The days you dont train, eat strict keto through the day. Also, watch the documentary called the magic pill on Netflix. There was a vegan on there, for ethical reasons, who ended up going back to meat after finding out veganism was not truly an ethical alternative. She gives step by step to show why it isn't, and why she went back to meat.
Sounds like carb cycling a little bit. I might give it a try. Right now I am doing intermittent fasting. As for the documentary I will def watch it tonight, thanks!

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
On a side note I had a 32oz porter house for dinner, fuc your veggies lol

DGator86

DGator86

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
It’s simple.

Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch, and no sugar. Keep intake to levels that will support exercise but not body fat.

This simple set of rules highlights the importance of both food quality and quantity in the diet.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The way you describe your rebound I wonder a few things about your diet setup. How are you getting facts and how much? How low were your carbs?

Most importantly - you mention weight loss was going fine - what kind of deficit were you in?

And you mention two-a-day workouts? How many days a week? Everyday?