Suggestions

MRP80

Awards
Just looking for some general guidance about next steps with my long term plans.

After a long time out of the gym (2+ years) due to marriage, work, a child, unhealthy eating and excessive drinking I have taken the plunge back in to fitness. I have cut out all alcohol and have been intermittent fasting for approximately 45 days, and on keto for the past 30. I started at 192 and I am at 182 today.

I would like some advice as to whether I should continue cutting or whether I should focus more on putting muscle. I am looking to achieve a fit physique with substantial muscle but nothing off-putting as I work in a corporate environment and I'm looking for a more general "fit and healthy" look rather than a "bodybuilder" look. I want to see my abs. Right now I feel like I am losing muscle and feel flat and look worse than a couple weeks ago. It feels as if my bodyweight is going down but my body fat is rising. I have also always had skinny legs and would like to add muscle (whether during this cut or after)

Due to work and home responsibilities I can only visit the gym 3 days a week, and I'm limited to home workouts on the remaining 4. I typically lift weights Saturday, Sunday, and then one other weekday (Tues, Wed. or Thurs)

Stats:
Male
29 years old
6'1' & 182 lbs
Digital scale reads my body fat right around 15%
Well in to ketosis

Eating about 1,550 calories a day - approx. 55% fat, 35% protein and 10% carbs
I typically fast from 8pm-1pm. I do take my supplements first thing in the morning and drink black coffee
Typically lifting weights (fully body) fasted on weekend mornings
Various at-home workouts typically in the evenings after work

Current supplements:
CTD Labs Hypercuts (daily and as a pre workout)
SNS Reduce XT (split 3x per day, per label)
Banaba Leaf (3x per day)
Zinc and Magnesium tablets
CBD Oil after work

I've attached some photos I took for review. One in the morning and two others after a short home work out.

Attachments

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
My view would be a lean bulk from here.

My reasoning:

- your already pretty light for your height. I don’t think you have enough lean mass to achieve the look you want if you keep cutting.

- your calories are already low, where do you go when weight loss plateaus? 1,200? A thousand? Strength will drop off rapidly and test will drop. You’ll feel lousy.

- you have a decent starting point for a bulk. 15% is probably right for bf and you could lean bulk really well from there imo. Looks like a solid frame.

- your long lay off from the gym should allow you to gain muscle quite quickly. Just make sure you focus on heavy compound lifts on the gym days. More muscle makes a successful cut down the road much easier.

Just my view.

Good luck

MRP80

Awards
My view would be a lean bulk from here.

My reasoning:

- your already pretty light for your height. I don’t think you have enough lean mass to achieve the look you want if you keep cutting.

- your calories are already low, where do you go when weight loss plateaus? 1,200? A thousand? Strength will drop off rapidly and test will drop. You’ll feel lousy.

- you have a decent starting point for a bulk. 15% is probably right for bf and you could lean bulk really well from there imo. Looks like a solid frame.

- your long lay off from the gym should allow you to gain muscle quite quickly. Just make sure you focus on heavy compound lifts on the gym days. More muscle makes a successful cut down the road much easier.

Just my view.

Good luck
Hey Whisky,

Thanks for your response. What would you suggest for my target calories during a lean bulk and how long would you suggest I run it? What is the max I should allow my body fat to reach during the bulk?

I’m really open to suggestions and want to take my physique to the next level.

Thanks!

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Hey Whisky,

Thanks for your response. What would you suggest for my target calories during a lean bulk and how long would you suggest I run it? What is the max I should allow my body fat to reach during the bulk?

I’m really open to suggestions and want to take my physique to the next level.

Thanks!
Have you previously been heavier (had more lean mass)? I ask purely because that’ll make a difference as to how quickly you can gain some lean mass initially.

Generally I would add around 250 Cals to your current intake and then a further 150 the following week, 150 again the week after etc until you reach a point where the scale is going up around 0.5lbs a week. Then stick at that level until the scale stops moving (when it does repeat same process until it goes up again) - that will minimise fat gain.

Imo you could go up to 18% bf with no issues and still cut easy from there down the line, aim is to lean bulk for a long time though, adding muscle naturally (especially if it’s new muscle and not regaining what you’ve had previously) is a real slow process......

MRP80

Awards
In my early 20s I weighed approximately 195 around 15% body fat. I never had the discipline to get my diet where is should have been but was pretty lucky to have a solid metabolism and stayed relatively thin.

I weighed in at 182.3 lbs this morning at 15.1% body fat. Photo below

Based on your suggestion, I am thinking of coming off keto to include approximately 150-200g carbs a day (possibly more on heavy lifting days) and bumping up my calories beginning today to 1800 per day- Then ramping up another 150 for each week after, as directed.

I am going to continue intermittent fasting to stay disciplined on my food quality, but shortening my fast to 16 hours instead of 17 hours. I think quitting the fasting and keto would make me too undisciplined with my diet.

Should I expect the carbs to improve my vascularity and the hardness of my muscles? Any supplement suggestions you can think of? Possibly a quality creatine?

Morning 2.jpg

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
In my early 20s I weighed approximately 195 around 15% body fat. I never had the discipline to get my diet where is should have been but was pretty lucky to have a solid metabolism and stayed relatively thin.

I weighed in at 182.3 lbs this morning at 15.1% body fat. Photo below

Based on your suggestion, I am thinking of coming off keto to include approximately 150-200g carbs a day (possibly more on heavy lifting days) and bumping up my calories beginning today to 1800 per day- Then ramping up another 150 for each week after, as directed.

I am going to continue intermittent fasting to stay disciplined on my food quality, but shortening my fast to 16 hours instead of 17 hours. I think quitting the fasting and keto would make me too undisciplined with my diet.

Should I expect the carbs to improve my vascularity and the hardness of my muscles? Any supplement suggestions you can think of? Possibly a quality creatine?

View attachment 170516
I don’t think you’ll notice a huge difference off 200g carbs a day in terms of appearance (although you might get slightly fuller muscles). You’ll probably perform better in the gym though.

Sounds like a good plan to me

MRP80

Awards
Consumed about 145g of carbs yesterday with total cals around 1,920 with no weight lifting. Of course I wake up and I lost a pound, weighing in at 181.1.

I did a good full body workout with emphasis on ass to grass squats this morning. About to do some yard work and then feast. May eat a dirty meal tonight just because I think my body needs it.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
Your body doesn't need a cheat meal man

MRP80

Awards
I wish I had looked at this sooner! Broke down and had 4 glasses of wine last night at my buddy’s engagement party. Then inevitably stopped for a bacon whataburger/small fry on the way home.

Instant regret this morning but headed to the gym and steam room.

MRP80

Awards
IMG_0204.JPG

Yikes. These are my macros yesterday estimated from the food served at the party. Had to guess on a lot of the food options on the MyFitness app

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Like others have said, definitely up your calories, not alot but some. It will be a little of a game to see what type of diet works best, high carb, low carb, keto etc...

Either way, great luck

MRP80

Awards
Woke up this morning over 185lbs, which i think is due to water weight from the carbs. Definitely looked softer but my pumps in the gym today were great and I was able to push more weight around. Ended with some sprints to pay for that whataburger on Saturday. I am really going to dial in on my diet this week after the long weekend.
IMG_0229.JPG

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I wish I had looked at this sooner! Broke down and had 4 glasses of wine last night at my buddy’s engagement party. Then inevitably stopped for a bacon whataburger/small fry on the way home.

Instant regret this morning but headed to the gym and steam room.
That's ridiculous. You are in perfectly fine shape to be having cheat meals, especially if you aren't trying to cut. Are you stepping on stage in a couple months? If the answer is no then don't listen to that clown lol

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You don’t need very much at all in a technical and literal sense, but that doesn’t mean you can never indulge or engage in something that isn’t an absolute necessity. If occasional controlled cheat meals help him to stay on his normal diet, then it’s at least a benign thing, or even a good one.

MRP80

Awards
No workout today but enjoying a good dinner! Red fish, risotto and veggies. After a snack before 8 I should be right around 1850 cals for the day.

IMG_0239.JPG