Fat burning creams - diuretic vs medicated

Lift Lion

Awards
I figured fat burning creams were all snake oil, until I read some clinical trials showing they worked for spot reduction. I've further seen many reviews and people on this board claiming they really work, as well.

I've noticed what appear to be two types of products on the market, $20 oil based diuretics like Sweet Sweat and $40 medicated creams like Avant Napalm that contain proven fat burners like caffeine and Yohimbe.

Does something like Sweet Sweat actually burn fat, because none of the ingredients seem they would? It seems it just works as a diuretic to cause you to sweat away local water retention. However I'm not sure.

I have lost 15 lbs (down to 14% body fat) and working on losing another 10 lbs (to get down to 10%). If something cheap like Sweet Sweat will burn fat, I'd just use that. If it's only a diuretic, would it make sense to use something medicated like Napalm for fat loss, and then use a cheaper diuretic to temporarily drop some water weight, such as the day before I go to the beach?

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
The studies show clinically significant local fatty acid mobilization which is different from spot reduction or actually losing fat

Lift Lion

Awards
The diuretic creams appear to spot reduce, although that's obviously just water and temporary.

The clinical studies on thermogenic creams are a bit mixed. I read one study that I believe you're referencing, where subjects on calorie restricted diets lost the same amount of body weight but the ones using the creams lost more from the target areas.

At the beach that's a benefit if you can prioritize stomach fat loss to make your abs more visible at the expense of leaving thigh fat which is covered by shorts anyway.

Another study I saw tried creams without modifying diet or exercise, and saw spot reduction and total body fat reduction, concluding the cream would help lose weight without diet or exercise. Although this was on obese people, so may not be applicable.

Mostly I'm wondering, do the cheap non-medicated creams have any affect beyond diuretic, or do you need the more expensive stuff with caffeine and yohimbe to see lasting results? And I would consider being able to prioritize fat loss areas to be results, even if it doesn't affect total fat loss.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I figured fat burning creams were all snake oil, until I read some clinical trials showing they worked for spot reduction. I've further seen many reviews and people on this board claiming they really work, as well.

I've noticed what appear to be two types of products on the market, $20 oil based diuretics like Sweet Sweat and $40 medicated creams like Avant Napalm that contain proven fat burners like caffeine and Yohimbe.

Does something like Sweet Sweat actually burn fat, because none of the ingredients seem they would? It seems it just works as a diuretic to cause you to sweat away local water retention. However I'm not sure.

I have lost 15 lbs (down to 14% body fat) and working on losing another 10 lbs (to get down to 10%). If something cheap like Sweet Sweat will burn fat, I'd just use that. If it's only a diuretic, would it make sense to use something medicated like Napalm for fat loss, and then use a cheaper diuretic to temporarily drop some water weight, such as the day before I go to the beach?
A diuretic will just do that, pull water out from under the skin. This would be great for a day at the beach, pool, photoshoot, etc.

The creams you are talking about, topicals, do get good feedback, especially those from the Evomuse line. dsade could point you top the right direction as to which on would be best for your situation. The thing about topicals though is they are not miracle creams. Generally, these work better on people that have that last stubborn bit of fat and cannot seem to get rid of it. So, if one has a decent amount of fat and apply them, the cream may not be best suited for them. Not saying they will not experience fat loss, but it probably wouldn't be worth the cost.

For what it is worth, you could try spot reduction with any creams. Give the article below a read. I never tried it, but it does make sense how it could work, but I am not saying it does.

https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/spot-reduction-is-real

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
As previously mentioned, they are good for a "temporary" fix but for long term, good ole diet, exercisee and sometimes supplementation.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
The only long term fix is diet and exercise. These creams and lotions can aid in water reduction or some metabolism, but it will only aid not reduce.

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
The only long term fix is diet and exercise. These creams and lotions can aid in water reduction or some metabolism, but it will only aid not reduce.
Amen to that!

Melmel247

Awards
I used Abolene and a sweat belt for temporary looks. People were saying it burns fat which is complete BS. The weight comes back fast. I say give the topical fat burner a try. I just bought my very first topical called Eviscerate Smolder from Evomuse and will be keeping results posted. I am always experimenting and researching. I may be trying other topicals as well but I see tons of great testimonials for Evomuse topicals.

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Topical fat burners are only effective at a certain body fat percentage.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Gotta agree with the masses that topicals are good, but limited in their use to those who are only looking to really "fine tune" somethign that's already there... Realistically most topicals are most effective as just diuretics and short term effects.

If you need to get rid of stubborn fat, my recommendation would be to use something like SNS Yohimbine 2.5 or Alpha Yohimbine as these are proven to target stubborn fat (not localized obviously as they're powders/caps) but the fat that they target will be what you're seeking regardless.