IF or cal in/out?

Brain5ick

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Do you think IF has a point other than calorie restriction? Or is just controlling your calories throughout the day just as good? What’s your opinion on it?

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
There's no difference except in how you accept the process. If you are able to restrict calories better and manage with IF which is common, then it is better. Only because of consistency. There is no difference in the final outcome.
Calories in / out or IF.

I prefer IF because it helps to control hunger for me, so it's better, for me.

Brain5ick

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
There's no difference except in how you accept the process. If you are able to restrict calories better and manage with IF which is common, then it is better. Only because of consistency. There is no difference in the final outcome.
Calories in / out or IF.

I prefer IF because it helps to control hunger for me, so it's better, for me.
I like it because it helps me manage calories as well, I tend to lose weight rather quickly but I feel like there aren’t many real benefits to it other than calorie management. I feel like I burn fat a little faster when I do IF but it may be placebo.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
IF is just an eating schedule. It can be used for cutting or bulking. There are no benefits that are going to make a huge difference from a regular diet.

banjobounce

banjobounce

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
There are theories being thrown out that autophagy is eventually necessary to get muscle building going at optimal rates. I have been doing IF while tracking macros at my usual maintainence. I feel stronger after about 24-48 hrs of doing an 18 hr fast. My appetite is increased as well. I feel that my digestion is improved as well. This is just my opinion.

bosskardo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I find IF easier. Also has some longevity benefits.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I like it because it helps me manage calories as well, I tend to lose weight rather quickly but I feel like there aren’t many real benefits to it other than calorie management. I feel like I burn fat a little faster when I do IF but it may be placebo.
I think it's great to help control/manage calorie intake. Other than that, there aren't many benefits to it over a standard eating schedule. If it works for you to eat all of your meals in 8-10 hours, do it. Calories in to calories out will still be the make or break factor in progress

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
There are theories being thrown out that autophagy is eventually necessary to get muscle building going at optimal rates. I have been doing IF while tracking macros at my usual maintainence. I feel stronger after about 24-48 hrs of doing an 18 hr fast. My appetite is increased as well. I feel that my digestion is improved as well. This is just my opinion.
Autophagy is the "Atkins" of 2018

Newth

Awards
Saw some snake diet videos
Mind blown that people actually do crap like that
I think it has a place, but it ain't for the masses dieting thats for sure.

BloodManor

BloodManor

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think it has a place, but it ain't for the masses dieting thats for sure.
It does I agree but any diet where you don’t eat any food for 6 days is dumb. All you drink is salt water

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
That's a bad idea
I also saw that - the dumb ass pushing it actually also talks about a dry fast where you don’t even let water touch your body (let alone drink it) for days. Total load of crap by someone who just wants to get u tube famous imo.

Guy wasn’t even in amazing shape - certainly not better shape than anyone else following normal nutrition approaches anyway

musclemaker

musclemaker

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Do you think IF has a point other than calorie restriction? Or is just controlling your calories throughout the day just as good? What’s your opinion on it?
Some of the guys have hit on this but there are numerous health benefits such a cell regeneration. From a fitness and physique perspective, I would just say calorie restriction.

thebadbambino

Awards
Hey guys, UCLA physiology grad here. IF is beneficial for the induction of cellular autophagy. I learned a lot about autophagy and CR/DR in a molecular biology of aging class i took with one of the leading researchers on the subject. Just to clarify when you’re in an autophagic state your body switches from a growth/reproduction state into a cellular maintenance, or breakdown and repair state. Think of it like this, if you were an animal in the wild, your only job is to find a mate and reproduce. But what happens when there’s not enough food? That’s when your body transitions to an autophagic state to prolong lifespan in order to reproduce when food is abundant. When in the autophagic state your body breaks down dysfunctional/misfolded proteins (which is important for more reasons than i care to go into).Now back to IF, it 100% DOES have benefits beyond what cals in/out can offer but only as long as you truly enter an autophagic state. Without that you won’t see these benefits. To my knowledge the you really begin to see the benefits after the 16 hour fasting period. The longer the fast the more beneficial. If you prolong your fast though I would recommend doing so with doctor supervision to avoid malnutrition etc.

TL;DR: IF has benefits beyond that of purely measuring cals in/out

Newth

Awards
Hey guys, UCLA physiology grad here. IF is beneficial for the induction of cellular autophagy. I learned a lot about autophagy and CR/DR in a molecular biology of aging class i took with one of the leading researchers on the subject. Just to clarify when you’re in an autophagic state your body switches from a growth/reproduction state into a cellular maintenance, or breakdown and repair state. Think of it like this, if you were an animal in the wild, your only job is to find a mate and reproduce. But what happens when there’s not enough food? That’s when your body transitions to an autophagic state to prolong lifespan in order to reproduce when food is abundant. When in the autophagic state your body breaks down dysfunctional/misfolded proteins (which is important for more reasons than i care to go into).Now back to IF, it 100% DOES have benefits beyond what cals in/out can offer but only as long as you truly enter an autophagic state. Without that you won’t see these benefits. To my knowledge the you really begin to see the benefits after the 16 hour fasting period. The longer the fast the more beneficial. If you prolong your fast though I would recommend doing so with doctor supervision to avoid malnutrition etc.

TL;DR: IF has benefits beyond that of purely measuring cals in/out
DNA has a funny way to screw us over with immortality.

thebadbambino

Awards
DNA has a funny way to screw us over with immortality.
The research we studied in that class was pretty crazy. The life extension shown through DR in 3 species, if translated 1:1 to humans, would theoretically extend our health spans to 150+ years

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
The research we studied in that class was pretty crazy. The life extension shown through DR in 3 species, if translated 1:1 to humans, would theoretically extend our health spans to 150+ years
IIRC the 16 hour fast in rodents was equivalent to a multi day fast in humans though, not 16 hours. I forget the exacts but I had a hour long Skype conversation with Dr. Longo about it 6 months ago

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
[video=youtube;evGFWRXEzz8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evGFWRXEzz8[/video]

Newth

Awards
[video=youtube;evGFWRXEzz8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evGFWRXEzz8[/video]
Great vid. I first saw it close to 18 months ago, I looked to see if I could find his protocol but nothing was available that I could find.
I haven't chased it up since then though.
IMO he is probably the most knowledgeable person on the topic considering this was the mentor he mentioned.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Walford

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
Great vid. I first saw it close to 18 months ago, I looked to see if I could find his protocol but nothing was available that I could find.
I haven't chased it up since then though.
IMO he is probably the most knowledgeable person on the topic considering this was the mentor he mentioned.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Walford
This is a new one from yesterday, the one done last year was great also. Make sure you watch as there is a lot of new info!

niklaslampi

Awards
Like a lot of earlier replies, there's no difference. Cal in/out is what matters in the end. However IF can certainly help adhering to a caloric deficit.

Newth

Awards
thebadbambino AlexPowell
In the late 90s I heard an interview with a guy who wrote a book called "The Last of the Mortal Generation", it was about life extension and technology.
His basic stance was if Moores Law continued there were people were already alive at the time who could have the chance at a 400'ish year life span.

Looking at where we have come in the 20 years since and with AI and Quantum Computing where they are atm, the next 20 are winding up to be very impressive......or end us all.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
thebadbambino AlexPowell
In the late 90s I heard an interview with a guy who wrote a book called "The Last of the Mortal Generation", it was about life extension and technology.
His basic stance was if Moores Law continued there were people were already alive at the time who could have the chance at a 400'ish year life span.

Looking at where we have come in the 20 years since and with AI and Quantum Computing where they are atm, the next 20 are winding up to be very impressive......or end us all.
Yeah it only took 50 years from inventing a plane to throwing a nuclear bomb out of one
I don't think I'd want to live much past 100 lol

Newth

Awards
Yeah it only took 50 years from inventing a plane to throwing a nuclear bomb out of one
I don't think I'd want to live much past 100 lol
It's all about mobility and cognition IMO.
Coming from an industry that caps most in their 60's.....I'm getting my stubborn on and going for 80+