What Body Fat % am I???

Page 4 of 4 First ... 234

1. Quote Originally Posted by YoungThor View Post
    The eating aspect of this bulk won’t be an issue. I’m hungry constantly and I can really throw down a lot of grub. I’m actually an ectomorph, if you believe in those categories. I was always 155-160 lbs through high school and into my early 20s (and I’m 6’1). I was an all league basketball player and could run up and down the court all day, but stamina was all we worked on. Our team’s strength training was a joke. Then I went through a phase for a few years were I was making bad choices that were destroying my health, I only weighed 150 lbs, and I finally decided to get myself in order, started eating healthy and working out, ballooned all the way up to 200 because I overdid the eating and wanted to get there way to fast. I spent about a year working out at home doing mostly calisthenics and fighter-type workouts (I love boxing). The next year I started going to the gym but my workouts were predominantly isolation movements, and the compound movements I’d do were with dumbbells. This year I added some of the powerlifts but consistentcy hasn’t been there for me because of an injury. Now I’m finally healthy enough to pretty much do any type of lift again.

Well that was a little bit of my back story, but there is a question at the end of this. If I start making heavy compound movements my main focus when pursuing a more bulky looking musculature, should I stick to the medium to high rep range like a bodybuilder (let’s say 8-15 reps), or should I go close to my heaviest most the time like a power lifter (so more like 1-5 reps)? Obviously doing both is an option but there’s only so much time in a week, so which one should be my focus?

Thanks for any input. I’m glad I made this thread, it’s been productive.
    IMHO, it doesn't matter. Both approaches lead to strength and hypertrophy. Maybe, considering your love for boxing, you should go the higher volume - less weight route, to keep mobility -and speed.
    Life is fair it's your expectations that aren't.

2. I've tried this road you are on man. Keto and cardio mixed with high rep, low weight resistance workout does not work, for me at least. Carbs are not bad, I cant stand when people chastise it. I guarantee if you start eating clean carbs [100-150g] and then start lifting very heavy... you will look bigger. LBM at 20% BF looks bigger than flat muscle at 15% BF. Just sayin. I dont overdue it on carbs, but I dont ccut them out totally.
    •   

3. I just tried to go heavy on the bench and felt like I was gonna f*ck up my shoulder again. I should’ve known I’m not ready for it. Eating in a big surplus should help me recover faster though. It’s been 4 months since I injured it and I’m still only doing my shoulder isolation exercises at 50-75% of the weight I used to use. So for now I’ll have to stick with medium to light weight.
    @mikeymike85 - I was probably quite a bit under 150g of carbs on most days for the last couple months. I was getting a lot of my carbs from fruit. I’m getting out of that “carbs are bad” mindset now. I’ll probably add 5 lbs in the first week just from holding more water and muscle glycogen.

4. I dont preach using gear, but if you know what you're doing, I think dmz would help you out too.... calorie deficit on dmz should change your physique substantially

5. Quote Originally Posted by mikeymike85 View Post
    I dont preach using gear, but if you know what you're doing, I think dmz would help you out too.... calorie deficit on dmz should change your physique substantially
    I’ll be natty for a while now but I have heard DMZ is super powerful. Some people say it increases anxiety and panic though which worries me. I was thinking about tbol when I run my next cycle. I’ll do some research on DMZ in the mean time.
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by YoungThor View Post
    I just tried to go heavy on the bench and felt like I was gonna f*ck up my shoulder again. I should’ve known I’m not ready for it. Eating in a big surplus should help me recover faster though. It’s been 4 months since I injured it and I’m still only doing my shoulder isolation exercises at 50-75% of the weight I used to use. So for now I’ll have to stick with medium to light weight.
    @mikeymike85 - I was probably quite a bit under 150g of carbs on most days for the last couple months. I was getting a lot of my carbs from fruit. I’m getting out of that “carbs are bad” mindset now. I’ll probably add 5 lbs in the first week just from holding more water and muscle glycogen.
    I had shoulder issues too.
    Instead of bench, I do elevated push ups with handles, switching from regular tempo to 4:1:1 (4 seconds lowering). After 1 year of doing that and DB hex presses, I tried if I could BB bench. Guess what... I did 11 reps with 225lbs and a few reps with 265lbs. Meaning: Elevated push ups are a valid substitute for bench press. Cant complain about an underdeveloped chest either.
    Life is fair it's your expectations that aren't.

7. Quote Originally Posted by YoungThor View Post
    Iíll be natty for a while now but I have heard DMZ is super powerful. Some people say it increases anxiety and panic though which worries me. I was thinking about tbol when I run my next cycle. Iíll do some research on DMZ in the mean time.
    Dmz is great. Its the best ive taken so far for changing body comp. I could eat like a horse and get leaner. Loved it

8. Quote Originally Posted by hairygrandpa View Post
    I had shoulder issues too.
    Instead of bench, I do elevated push ups with handles, switching from regular tempo to 4:1:1 (4 seconds lowering). After 1 year of doing that and DB hex presses, I tried if I could BB bench. Guess what... I did 11 reps with 225lbs and a few reps with 265lbs. Meaning: Elevated push ups are a valid substitute for bench press. Cant complain about an underdeveloped chest either.
    This is solid advice. I used to be a push-up addict and would switch up variations but I predominately stuck to standard push-ups. I was a little obsessed with the rep number but that’s not what it’s all about. I like the elevated push-up with pausing idea. The way I used to do them only built muscle endurance rather than bulk. Somehow doing 500 push-ups a day built a super impressive chest for Mike Tyson though. But he was a freak of nature.

9. Quote Originally Posted by christ83189 View Post
    Dmz is great. Its the best ive taken so far for changing body comp. I could eat like a horse and get leaner. Loved it
    I remember your DMZ transformation pics from when you were coming out of an unhealthy phase and the results were impressive. You’re one of the few guys on here who runs it 8 weeks too which is encouraging. So many guys run these super short cycles with it, like 3-5 weeks. It made me uninterested in the compound because I figured if it’s so toxic that people are afraid to take it for longer than 35 days then I might as well take something safer.

10. So it’s been about two weeks since I added in a lot more carbs and here are some things I noticed.

The bad:

1. I burp, fart, and shyt way more
    2. I require at least two more hours of sleep, but my sleep is very deep
    3. I’m way more fatigued throughout the day
    4. My skin looks like hell, I’m breaking out with acne really bad
    5. Anxiety increase (probably the result of blood sugar spikes)

The good:

1. I’m gaining weight easily (was 190 on day one and after two weeks I’m 193-194)
    2. I feel stronger in the gym
    3. I’m looking slightly fuller
    4. The act of eating carbs is extremely satisfying, like consuming a drug

I’m getting my carbs from a variety of sources like potatoes, rice, oatmeal, some noodles, granola. Those are some examples. After eating low carb for a while and then adding them back in, it’s pretty obvious to me how they effect my body. Overall I don’t enjoy what it does but I’ll continue to eat them because they do help with muscle and strength gain.

11. Quote Originally Posted by YoungThor View Post
    So it’s been about two weeks since I added in a lot more carbs and here are some things I noticed.

The bad:

1. I burp, fart, and shyt way more
    2. I require at least two more hours of sleep, but my sleep is very deep
    3. I’m way more fatigued throughout the day
    4. My skin looks like hell, I’m breaking out with acne really bad
    5. Anxiety increase (probably the result of blood sugar spikes)

The good:

1. I’m gaining weight easily (was 190 on day one and after two weeks I’m 193-194)
    2. I feel stronger in the gym
    3. I’m looking slightly fuller
    4. The act of eating carbs is extremely satisfying, like consuming a drug

I’m getting my carbs from a variety of sources like potatoes, rice, oatmeal, some noodles, granola. Those are some examples. After eating low carb for a while and then adding them back in, it’s pretty obvious to me how they effect my body. Overall I don’t enjoy what it does but I’ll continue to eat them because they do help with muscle and strength gain.
    Holy sh1t bro, I'm going through the same thing! After crash dieting for 3 years straight from lack of knowledge, I have some awesome help in my log completely changing my nutrition and training. I'm having the same reactions from increasing macros. I'm sure it will better us in the long haul.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. What body fat percentage?
    By Ihatbanas in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-24-2017, 10:32 AM
  2. What is the Optimal Body Fat Percentage for Testosterone?
    By Z28Luver7777 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-05-2010, 09:51 PM
  3. What body type am I based on these measurements?
    By DerickVonD in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-14-2010, 09:44 PM
  4. What is body fat % ?
    By sonofsteven in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-17-2009, 06:35 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-11-2007, 04:18 PM