What happens to muscle when cutting?

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Was just thinking and thier seems to be too many variables and different ideas but... When your in a calorie deficit (Which i am at the moment). They say you cant gain any new muscle when in a deficit of calories but adequate protein + the Stimulus (Ie weight training) lets your body know to retain your mass your carrying.

What actually happens to the broken down muscle during a cut? Does the body repair it just enough?

I was reading a guy who went on a 12 week cut. Went from 22% bodyfat to 10.2%. He lost 31 pounds in that period. He had before and after DEXA scan results.. Before the cut nd after the cut. Thats where he got his % from. What intrigued me was his scan showed he also gained 4.4lbs of lean mass in that period? He has previous training so wasn't hitting his body like what happens to noobs (Noob Gains)

So just got me thinking....

His protein intake was 1.25g per lb of bodyweight 1g Carbs per lb and 0.27g of Fat per lb.

So does our body repair our muscle and still do enough to gain a little muscle in that process? I always had the belief it was almost impossible as we need energy to synthesize new muscle growth even with the right amount of stimulus?

Just interesting ro read.

I always though 1-2 pounds per month gain is about likely on a mass phase ie bulking and it looks like he has still managed to achieve this even in a calorie defcit. He has psted before after pictures and also screenshots of his DEXA results with dates etc

Also wanted to add in

Say your currently on TRT (Which i am) but you blast for say a 6 week cut. Will that yield any results or just a complete waste?

Anyone done anything like this? I can never really tell when cutting if i am gaining anything at all i notice the fatloss pretty quickly but i wouldnt see any new development and if it was it would be tiny.

Thanks!

bonbon

bonbon

Awards
Muscles will get flat during diet because of lowered carb intake. I would say muscle catabolism is not that big issue unless dieting at very low bodyfat.

bonbon

bonbon

Awards
Additionally, I have built muscle with low calories by following internmittent fasting diet. Fasted training and 8 hour eating window starting right after training.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Was just thinking and thier seems to be too many variables and different ideas but... When your in a calorie deficit (Which i am at the moment). They say you cant gain any new muscle when in a deficit of calories but adequate protein + the Stimulus (Ie weight training) lets your body know to retain your mass your carrying.

What actually happens to the broken down muscle during a cut? Does the body repair it just enough?

I was reading a guy who went on a 12 week cut. Went from 22% bodyfat to 10.2%. He lost 31 pounds in that period. He had before and after DEXA scan results.. Before the cut nd after the cut. Thats where he got his % from. What intrigued me was his scan showed he also gained 4.4lbs of lean mass in that period? He has previous training so wasn't hitting his body like what happens to noobs (Noob Gains)

So just got me thinking....

His protein intake was 1.25g per lb of bodyweight 1g Carbs per lb and 0.27g of Fat per lb.

So does our body repair our muscle and still do enough to gain a little muscle in that process? I always had the belief it was almost impossible as we need energy to synthesize new muscle growth even with the right amount of stimulus?

Just interesting ro read.

I always though 1-2 pounds per month gain is about likely on a mass phase ie bulking and it looks like he has still managed to achieve this even in a calorie defcit. He has psted before after pictures and also screenshots of his DEXA results with dates etc

Also wanted to add in

Say your currently on TRT (Which i am) but you blast for say a 6 week cut. Will that yield any results or just a complete waste?

Anyone done anything like this? I can never really tell when cutting if i am gaining anything at all i notice the fatloss pretty quickly but i wouldnt see any new development and if it was it would be tiny.

Thanks!
I’ve read so much about this over the last few years. First question though is whether this guy was legit natty?? I’ve not seen anything that suggests anyone with more than 2 years training exp can achieve this natty.

Best I’ve seen natty is where someone can reduce bf % by virtue of a precise lean bulk (I.e gaining significantly more lean mass than fat and therefore decreasing bf % rather than actual fat volume)

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Muscles will get flat during diet because of lowered carb intake. I would say muscle catabolism is not that big issue unless dieting at very low bodyfat.
Yeh my muscles are as flat as ever just now.. Im on a low carb approach. I go on holiday in a week and just wanted to do a basic minicut. Been dieting 10 days so far so just over a 2 week minicut. Doesnt yield too much results mind but i have noticed a difference with just the 10 days..

But feels like i cant get a pump and my muscles just don't have that full look.. Will be carb'd up for setting off though.

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I’ve read so much about this over the last few years. First question though is whether this guy was legit natty?? I’ve not seen anything that suggests anyone with more than 2 years training exp can achieve this natty.

Best I’ve seen natty is where someone can reduce bf % by virtue of a precise lean bulk (I.e gaining significantly more lean mass than fat and therefore decreasing bf % rather than actual fat volume)
I doubt he will be natty tbh? Alot of guys have something in thier systems these days.

I have trained over 2 years myself.. Just was curious of it all. Just what your body done with the broken down and damaged muscle? I keep my protein intake to over 200g when cutting (Im 155 pounds) carbs are very low just now and fats medium. Quite a strict quick minicut. With me going on holiday i will gain a few pounds back as i am gonna relax as much as possible and i doubt i will have any training days as i am with my partner (Who isn't fitness orientated) so more of a laid back holiday.. Its self catering mind so i wont be digging into buffets twice a day.. I done that last year and man i felt terrible and bloated!

Gonna bulk soon as i get back anyway.. Our summer in Scotland is hit or miss so i dont mind not being too lean as walking about in a t shirt in warm rain.. Lovely ?

I would love to have the extra £££ to do before and after DEXA scans.. Well.. Even just to see exactly what bodyfat % i am just now.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I did measure my stats before and after my cut. Yes, it's possible. I did build about 3lbs of muscle during the cut and also got stronger. Problem is, I don't have the copy of the results I got from the scan. So, no proof to show you.

Low

Low

Awards
Hey this is great post guys and It got me thinking about a question I have had since I am on a cut myself. I am 183 5'9 strong just came off a bulk leaning up my macros are 185g pro, 180-220 carbs(I do a lot of cardio), and 41-61 fat. What do u think about my protein intake and my macros? I'm hitting 1895 kcal daily 2100 max

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hey this is great post guys and It got me thinking about a question I have had since I am on a cut myself. I am 183 5'9 strong just came off a bulk leaning up my macros are 185g pro, 180-220 carbs(I do a lot of cardio), and 41-61 fat. What do u think about my protein intake and my macros? I'm hitting 1895 kcal daily 2100 max
You looking to cut down into the 160's or so?

As for protein 1g per pound of bodyweight would-be sufficient.. I personally go for more.. Protein also has a larger thermic effect ie your body burns more calories to break it down than fats or carbs. Just an extra help in creating a calorie deficit and its also fill your up more. Cant go wrong with extra protein but it might not be cost effective £££

I wouldn't jump straight into low calories like that.. Im personally doing it at the moment though but mines is for a very short minicut. You wont be avle to sustain that low for too long. Your body will fight back and will also your metabolism will match your calorie intake.. I would start with a mild deficit and do that for 2 weeks and see what your losing. Then drop calories further for another 2 weeks then i would see how your weight is doing (Use the mirror also.. The scales can fluctuate all the time) next is then to keep calories as they are but incorporate cardio and i would continue with this until you hit your target.

I was near enough at my desired weight so i just need a quick minicut to shift some excess water and a couple pounda of fat (For a holiday)

Good luck bro ?

Low

Low

Awards
Great feedback Thanks! Mine is also a minicut I dropped from 189 to 183 in 2 weeks. I have tried to get under 180 but can only go down to 177 as my lowest. I would be fine with 177 again. So one more week of cut to 180 and then go back to maintenance or can I just raise calories up at 2500 or 2700 and hold for a few weeks to lean up and prevent muscle catabolism?

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
You looking to cut down into the 160's or so?

As for protein 1g per pound of bodyweight would-be sufficient.. I personally go for more.. Protein also has a larger thermic effect ie your body burns more calories to break it down than fats or carbs. Just an extra help in creating a calorie deficit and its also fill your up more. Cant go wrong with extra protein but it might not be cost effective £££

I wouldn't jump straight into low calories like that.. Im personally doing it at the moment though but mines is for a very short minicut. You wont be avle to sustain that low for too long. Your body will fight back and will also your metabolism will match your calorie intake.. I would start with a mild deficit and do that for 2 weeks and see what your losing. Then drop calories further for another 2 weeks then i would see how your weight is doing (Use the mirror also.. The scales can fluctuate all the time) next is then to keep calories as they are but incorporate cardio and i would continue with this until you hit your target.

I was near enough at my desired weight so i just need a quick minicut to shift some excess water and a couple pounda of fat (For a holiday)

Good luck bro
Yep this ^^^^. I also favour higher protein. I go 1.5 or more whether bulking or cutting.

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Great feedback Thanks! Mine is also a minicut I dropped from 189 to 183 in 2 weeks. I have tried to get under 180 but can only go down to 177 as my lowest. I would be fine with 177 again. So one more week of cut to 180 and then go back to maintenance or can I just raise calories up at 2500 or 2700 and hold for a few weeks to lean up and prevent muscle catabolism?
Why only 177? You struggle with dieting? Try Cut till your as lean as can be... Then when you bulk of its slowly done your still lean looking.

Is your calorie maintenance not higher than 2700? Whats your daily output.. Ie work training etc?

After a cut just raise calories to around 2700 and then after 2 weeks check the scales.. Then just do it again.. Just to see if your are gaining any fat. I also use callipers and use your waist (Belly button area) and check your skin fold size.. The scales are misleading. I do use mine daily but i dont panic if they shoot up.. A large salty meal can do that. So i use the mirror and also the skin fold measurement.. If your gonna gain fat it will be the midsection first.. You will gain weight after a cut due to water and also glycogen stores starting to max out. Mine are as flat as pancakes at the moment. 100g of carbs and 40 of those are fibre. Horrid.

How long did you bulk? Just do it slowly. Our bodys can only synthesise muscle at a certain rate. So if your throwing in an extra 300 calories over maintenance your muscle gain will be 1-2 pounds a month.. Throw in 500-700 calories and you gain 1-2 pounds of Muscle a month.. And extra fat. So slower is better ?

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Screenshot_20180302-115419.png

Hi guys

Just wanted to post a physique update.. Go on holiday next Wednesday. Im just gonna continue to cut till then.

Should i carb load the day before or on the day i set off? I have been on under 100g of carbs for the last 12 days. A good carb up will help as i feel as flat as a pancake!