Eat how long after cardio for best results?

lucifer92

Awards
I know that in the end of the day what counts is calories in vs calories out, but for better results how long should i wait to eat after cardio?

mrhappyoz

mrhappyoz

Awards
I don’t think it’s overly critical, but 3-4 hours could yield better results. Use your resting heart rate as a guide, too.

mrhappyoz

mrhappyoz

Awards
doesn't matter. your first sentence answered your question
Pretty true. I think if he’s looking for that .05%, eating when your resting heart rate is down, outside of an exercise window should allow for maximum autophagy / catabolism / lipolysis. While your BMR is up and you’re fasted, you’re dipping further into the old ketone tank for longer.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't stress it. If you're doing fasted cardio with yohimbine it might be something to look into, but if you're doing cardio in the middle of the day it won't make too much difference.

If it's HIIT, I would recommend eating 30 minutes after to help with recovery. HIIT has an effect on your metabolism that is more long term than steady state cardio. If you're doing fasted lower intensity cardio, it might be beneficial to wait a bit longer (1-2 hours), but the impacts and results seen from waiting to eat will be minimal. Stick to your macros and eat when you're hungry

lucifer92

Awards
I wouldn't stress it. If you're doing fasted cardio with yohimbine it might be something to look into, but if you're doing cardio in the middle of the day it won't make too much difference.

If it's HIIT, I would recommend eating 30 minutes after to help with recovery. HIIT has an effect on your metabolism that is more long term than steady state cardio. If you're doing fasted lower intensity cardio, it might be beneficial to wait a bit longer (1-2 hours), but the impacts and results seen from waiting to eat will be minimal. Stick to your macros and eat when you're hungry
Now that you mentioned it, i was thinking of using some yohimbine

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Now that you mentioned it, i was thinking of using some yohimbine
I would probably wait a bit longer then. I would also recommend reading Lyle Mcdonald's "Stubborn Fat Solution" guide. You can usually find a PDF or copy online - it details some great strategies for fasted cardio with yohimbine, and he mentions meal timing with the protocol as well.

lucifer92

Awards
I would probably wait a bit longer then. I would also recommend reading Lyle Mcdonald's "Stubborn Fat Solution" guide. You can usually find a PDF or copy online - it details some great strategies for fasted cardio with yohimbine, and he mentions meal timing with the protocol as well.
Do you take yohimbine only when you are at low bodyfat or it will work at any percentage?

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Do you take yohimbine only when you are at low bodyfat or it will work at any percentage?
In my opinion, it's more beneficial when you're at a lower bodyfat. But it can still be helpful with higher body fat levels

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I eat right after I workout but I also do cardio right after weight training......ditch the fasted cardio, one of the worst fitness myths out there

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Works great for me
fasted cardio adds no benefit in terms of fat burning....in fact I've seen suggestions that you burn less calories the rest of the day when doing fasted cardio

like you said calories in vs calories out....the timing of cardio makes no difference, burning the calories does

lucifer92

Awards
fasted cardio adds no benefit in terms of fat burning....in fact I've seen suggestions that you burn less calories the rest of the day when doing fasted cardio

like you said calories in vs calories out....the timing of cardio makes no difference, burning the calories does
Im burning my calories thats for sure

mrhappyoz

mrhappyoz

Awards
It’s about BMR. If your BMR is temporarily increased due to thermogenics or exercise, if you’re fasted and preferably in ketosis, you’ll be dipping into more of your ketone stores during that period.

If you are already tracking your BMR via HR monitor / fitbit / whatever and using total calories in/out, then no real benefit, but might feel like more effort / less reward.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I know that in the end of the day what counts is calories in vs calories out, but for better results how long should i wait to eat after cardio?
You can eat whenever after cardio. I would eat sooner rather than later if performing fasted cardio. The only time I would not eat post cardio is if you are supplementing with yohimbine since it best works with no insulin spikes. Even a carbless meal will spike insulin. Generally, if you use yohimbine, you should not eat for four hours.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yohimbine is very very time consuming to get maximum benefit. For a bodybuilder that likes to get in protein , every few hours, yohimbine takes 30 minutes to kick in, then do your cardio. Ive even done fasted training on yohimbine.

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You really are over thinking this lol. The fitness industry has primed you and others into thinking these little trivial things matter and believe me they sure as **** do not. Eat whenever the hell you want after cardio

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I eat right after I workout but I also do cardio right after weight training......ditch the fasted cardio, one of the worst fitness myths out there
Interesting article I just read on this.

Personally I do fasted cardio but it’s more down to the fact I have to do it first thing in the morning (I run with my dog and she has to go out first thing) and I hate training or cardio within a couple of hours of eating.

Personally I think there’s pro’s and cons both ways but though the article below interesting in terms of this thread.....

https://www.t-nation.com/training/tip-burn-fat-faster-than-ever-before?utm_********facebook&************social&utm_**********article5913

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Interesting article I just read on this.

Personally I do fasted cardio but it’s more down to the fact I have to do it first thing in the morning (I run with my dog and she has to go out first thing) and I hate training or cardio within a couple of hours of eating.

Personally I think there’s pro’s and cons both ways but though the article below interesting in terms of this thread.....

https://www.t-nation.com/training/tip-burn-fat-faster-than-ever-before?utm_********facebook&************social&utm_**********article5913
for every article like that theres articles like this

https://www.t-nation.com/training/4-myths-many-lifters-actually-believe

a lot of fasted cardio stuff is bro scienceish, do cardio when it's easiest for you of course but I dont' think ppl need to stress getting on a treadmill as soon as they wake up or they won't burn fat

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer