Refeeds?

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Pushing 2.5 weeks into a cutting phase and was planning a refeed on Saturday of this week.

Does everyone who does them find them very beneficial to make fat loss increase slightly ? Everyone online seems to highly recommend them due to leptin levels dropping etc and also... For psychological reasons.

I have read loads into refeeds and the majority highly recommend them if your diet has lower carbs when cutting. (Mine is)

My plan was to bump carbs to
500grams
160 Grams of Protein and drop fats to around 50 Grams

Calories = 3090

My maintenance hovers around the 2700-2800 marker so its a slight surplus.

With me seeing such good progress even in a small time frame i dont want to upset it too much. My diet has been bang on in this cut and not drifted at all and hunger remains very manageable. My food choices will sway well towards more cleaner carbs and maybe 10-20% more enjoyable foods.

I know some people think a refeed is an all out binge fest and thats when you lose connection with your body targets and relationship with foods also.. In my opinion anyway.

Whats everyone's opinions?

Thanks

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
There's a difference between a cheat meal and a tactical refeed.

Imo the main benefit of a cheat meal is physological with spiking leptin a side benefit.

A tactical refeed (which it sounds like you are planning) is purely to spike leptin (unless you are already really lean or have cut too hard imo 2.5 weeks is too early to need a refeed and if things are progressing well i wouldnt bother until fat loss slows/stops) - to achieve this the plan you outlined looks good to me.

Good luck bro

jdwaca

jdwaca

Awards
Pushing 2.5 weeks into a cutting phase and was planning a refeed on Saturday of this week.

Does everyone who does them find them very beneficial to make fat loss increase slightly ? Everyone online seems to highly recommend them due to leptin levels dropping etc and also... For psychological reasons.

I have read loads into refeeds and the majority highly recommend them if your diet has lower carbs when cutting. (Mine is)

500grams

Calories = 3090

With me seeing such good progress even in a small time frame i dont want to upset it too much. My diet has been bang on in this cut and not drifted at all and hunger remains very manageable. My food choices will sway well towards more cleaner carbs and maybe 10-20% more enjoyable foods.

I know some people think a refeed is an all out binge fest and thats when you lose connection with your body targets and relationship with foods also.. In my opinion anyway.

Thanks
When I’m in prep, I do low carbs as well. Most of the time I do a keto diet because it works very well for me.

That being said, I re-feed, or cheat once a week, generally Saturday night. If I’m eating a CHEAT meal, I KEEP ALL OTHER MEALS THE SAME! I don’t cut back any other meals, I just replace a meal, generally the last one of the day, with a cheat meal (I.e. burger and fries, sushi, eggs and pancakes...whatever).

Sometimes i’ll do more of a re-feed, and keep ALL meals the same, but add 30-40g of carbs to each meal.

I prefer an actual cheat meal to a re-feed. But either way, I always wake up lighter on Monday morning, than I was on Friday morning.

Definitely a good mental break, and good way to rev up your metabolism.

I’ve always been told not to try to counteract the calories consumed in a cheat meal, by lowering calories at all the other meals. It defeats the purpose of a cheat. You want that surplus of calories.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I’d push it further out. 2.5 weeks isn’t really that long and your cals are pretty high. Idk how much cardio/training you’re doing but I’d say hold off until at least 4 weeks. You probably don’t really “need” it.

With that being said, you’re idea is perfect. When I changed over form a “cheat meal” to structure high carb/low fat refeeds my progress accelerated ten fold.

I usually don’t get refeeds until 6-8 weeks into prep

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I’d push it further out. 2.5 weeks isn’t really that long and your cals are pretty high. Idk how much cardio/training you’re doing but I’d say hold off until at least 4 weeks. You probably don’t really “need” it.

With that being said, you’re idea is perfect. When I changed over form a “cheat meal” to structure high carb/low fat refeeds my progress accelerated ten fold.

I usually don’t get refeeds until 6-8 weeks into prep
Im on 2000 calories a day?

180 Protein
150 Carbs
75 Fat

Im certain im very carb depleted. I thought some people done refeeds every week to 10 days? Seemed to be the common trend from reading online.

Im not prepping for anything i just want to get myself lean (A healthy body fat percentage..10% if i can) Looking at myself in the mirror today i actually think im leaner than what i first thought? My abs are getting visible without flexing (Which i have never had before) My plan was to refeed this saturday then start back at 2000 calories up until xmas day (Relax xmas day) then just cut from then onwards into the new year then when im happy i would do a couple weeks at maintenance then just start a bulk from then onwards.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I agree with both jdwaca, and @Distilled Water. By that I mean both apporaches have validity. It really depends on your personal situation, hormonal reactions to foods, and your metabolic flexibility.

There are lots of schools of thought involved, for someone not very metabolically flexible then I think holding off a bit longer before starting to add in high carb refeeds is beneficial. It gives you longer to adjust to the low carb diet and become more efficient at the fat burning. Once this efficiency is built up the leptin levels will already started to have depleted through fat loss enough to slow down the metabolism a bit. So a refeed at that point will be very beneficial.

For someone with good metabolic flexibility I do not believe that their is a need to hold off longer and "earn" the refeed. So long as caloric balance is kept in mind someone who is great at burning both fat and carbs for energy is going to do well and make progress. In that case no need for the extra caution of holding off being worried that you might reverse the adaption to more efficient fat burning by reintroducing a ton of carbs all of the sudden. So starting out with a weekly refeed is not likely to cause any negative adaptation for them, and will also help prevent their leptin levels from ever getting too low because they are not waiting to dig a hole before trying to replenish it. That and glycogen levels in the muscle tend to be higher more often so there is also often a slight overall improvement on performance with this method over one where you are very depleted most of the time.

When it comes to free meals its just that, 1 meal that I am free to have whatever I like but not aim to be gluttonous.

Refeeds on the other hand for me tend to be lower fat, and a prescribed amount of carbs in an effort to replenish both leptin and glycogen stores. I will go anywhere from 500-800g in a day on a refeed day... that is like what Jwaca mentioned with adding carbs throughout the day and not just at one or two meals.

I have also had great luck with refeed meals twice a week with between 200-300g of carbs while running keto the rest of the time. My performance was better doing this, and to be honest I really can not say for sure that I lost fat any faster with the waiting to do it weekly.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

500grams

Calories = 3090

Thanks
A planned refeed is better, in my opinion, when you are low carb and dieting. If one is dieting on higher carbs, a cheat meal may be more beneficial. For a refeed go with a slight surplus above maintenance, fats as low as possible, protein at 1-1.25g/lb of bodyweight and the rest carbs.

The leaner you are, the more you could use a refeed. Usually once a week if you are fairly lean. I also utilize a GDA on refeed days. I'll take 2 caps of Slinmax before my 2 biggest high carb meals. I really find that it helps with my digestion and decreases bloating. I always get an insane pump in the gym the following day, and usually wake up two days later at a new low weight.

Give the following link below a read, it is a good article.

https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/cheat-meal-manifesto

https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/5-reasons-for-failed-body-transformations (read #3)

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ok here is a pic a couple days after my refeed. This is took outside and no pump etc so an exact look of how i am.. Dont know why people post pumped pics because we cant have that look 24/7 but each to thier own.

I know im not carrying a ton of mass but this is my preferred look leanish and *toned* a dont like that phrase but best suits it just now..My legs are my best body part from my upper half aswell. My refeed i bumped the carbs even more than 500 Grams i reckon 6-7 hundred. I know alot over but man it was goooood :D Hopped straight back on my diet no problems at all though and this morning i weighed the exact same weight as i was on Saturday before the cheat/refeed so hopefully no damage done. Mentally i feel alot better as im sure my leptin levels were hitting a low and that classic constant hunger was kicking in. Its gone now though. Xmas will be the next time to relax.

What do use think? Best way to give an idea of my physique over the last couple year.. I use to be over 15 stone 212 pounds to be exact.. 5ft 9. So i was a fatty. This morning i weighed in at 157.6 pounds. Anyone guess what bodyfat % im kicking around? Hoping to a dexa in the new year though.

Plan was to get as lean as possible and then transition into a bulk for a few months.

Screenshot_20171219-130448.jpg

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Creatine Mono.. Use Chromium Picolinate for a GDA & 5-htp to help with the appetite a little.. I added in Arimistane about 6 days ago.. Ive had it sitting for over a year unopened so i seen a few threads talking about it so just threw that in also.

I stopped using fat burners recently as they made me feel far more hungry? I just do a black coffee in the mornings & afternoons and intermittent fast for 20 hours each day (Easy for me now) seems to all be doing the trick

What about yourself?

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Creatine Mono.. Use Chromium Picolinate for a GDA & 5-htp to help with the appetite a little.. I added in Arimistane about 6 days ago.. Ive had it sitting for over a year unopened so i seen a few threads talking about it so just threw that in also.

I stopped using fat burners recently as they made me feel far more hungry? I just do a black coffee in the mornings & afternoons and intermittent fast for 20 hours each day (Easy for me now) seems to all be doing the trick

What about yourself?
20mg of ostarine and loving it. Might add some HMB.

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Isnt HMB meant to be bunk?

Hows the results from the ostarine?
Osta gives you a huge pump and I bought mine from a seller on ebay lol. I bought the HMB a long time ago, might as well use it. I just started Osta last week for an 8 week run.

jdwaca

jdwaca

Awards
Isnt HMB meant to be bunk?

Hows the results from the ostarine?
HMB has been proven to work, however results show it works best in untrained athletes. So for guys with years of lifting, prob won’t see much.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Ok here is a pic a couple days after my refeed. This is took outside and no pump etc so an exact look of how i am.. Dont know why people post pumped pics because we cant have that look 24/7 but each to thier own.

I know im not carrying a ton of mass but this is my preferred look leanish and *toned* a dont like that phrase but best suits it just now..My legs are my best body part from my upper half aswell. My refeed i bumped the carbs even more than 500 Grams i reckon 6-7 hundred. I know alot over but man it was goooood :D Hopped straight back on my diet no problems at all though and this morning i weighed the exact same weight as i was on Saturday before the cheat/refeed so hopefully no damage done. Mentally i feel alot better as im sure my leptin levels were hitting a low and that classic constant hunger was kicking in. Its gone now though. Xmas will be the next time to relax.

What do use think? Best way to give an idea of my physique over the last couple year.. I use to be over 15 stone 212 pounds to be exact.. 5ft 9. So i was a fatty. This morning i weighed in at 157.6 pounds. Anyone guess what bodyfat % im kicking around? Hoping to a dexa in the new year though.

Plan was to get as lean as possible and then transition into a bulk for a few months.

View attachment 158593
Bodyfat probably around 9-10% but hard to tell. Simple response to what is your body fat. "Who cares check out my abs!"

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Bodyfat probably around 9-10% but hard to tell. Simple response to what is your body fat. "Who cares check out my abs!"
Lollll thanks man

I always thought i was kicking near 13-15%.. But.. I wouldn't have too visible a abs if so ?

This is the first in my life i have had visible abs.. Feels gooooood :D

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Lollll thanks man

I always thought i was kicking near 13-15%.. But.. I wouldn't have too visible a abs if so ?

Obviously can’t be exactl guessing from a picture but I’d eat my Christmas tree (baubles and all) if you aren’t under 13%.

10% would be my guess. Upper body looks well proportioned imo (bearing in mind the look you said you wanted) - pretty much what I’m working towards myself - looks good bro

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Lollll thanks man

Well see that is why I said it is hard to tell and just go with check out my abs!

If you have large well developed abs they show earlier, some people can get to 3% and still not ever actually show a 6 pack due to the muscle surface being flat and not raised. Me you can start seeing mine around 15-17%, but at 8% they are stupid ripped but I still have fat on my lower back. So a lot of it has to do with where you store fat. Me I carry more in my back, and the fat in my arms and legs is almost nonexistent. I am around 18-20% right now and I still have striations, separation and quad veins in my legs, and my arms are vascular and lean.

My guess not seeing the rest of you would be around 10% give or take 3% in either direction based on individual fat storage patterns. To be honest the only real value I see in bodyfat measurement at this point is to know what your LBM is for setting up protein req's but to be honest those can easily be estimated to ideal ranges. Other than that you can look in the mirror and decide if you are growing, or not, or if you are lean enough for how you want to look. You don't need a number to look in the mirror and be like damn I look ripped...

By the way I think you described yourself as "leanish" or some other word that implied you didn't think you are very lean. Here is my leanness identification chart, and where you fall on it. LOL

Lean
Cut
Ripped - YOU ARE HERE!
Shredded -
Diced
Peeled

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Obviously can’t be exactl guessing from a picture but I’d eat my Christmas tree (baubles and all) if you aren’t under 13%.

10% would be my guess. Upper body looks well proportioned imo (bearing in mind the look you said you wanted) - pretty much what I’m working towards myself - looks good bro
Thanks i appreciate that

Its took me a very long time to get into shape.. Years tbh. But if you keep at it your body will adapt to whatever you do so if your training heavy and with a routine your body changes to support this. Just keep at it. Whats your stats at the moment?

For me personally.. I prefer the slimmer sort of physique. Like a physique model appearance?. I dont like the big muscle'y bulk some people go for but were all different.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Thanks i appreciate that

Its took me a very long time to get into shape.. Years tbh. But if you keep at it your body will adapt to whatever you do so if your training heavy and with a routine your body changes to support this. Just keep at it. Whats your stats at the moment?

For me personally.. I prefer the slimmer sort of physique. Like a physique model appearance?. I dont like the big muscle'y bulk some people go for but were all different.
Are you sure? Your avatar implies you like more of a classic bodybuilder physique. Just picking, I saw that and thought it was ironic after reading that statement. Either way you are looking great, just hope you have some wheels to match your upper body development.

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well see that is why I said it is hard to tell and just go with check out my abs!

If you have large well developed abs they show earlier, some people can get to 3% and still not ever actually show a 6 pack due to the muscle surface being flat and not raised. Me you can start seeing mine around 15-17%, but at 8% they are stupid ripped but I still have fat on my lower back. So a lot of it has to do with where you store fat. Me I carry more in my back, and the fat in my arms and legs is almost nonexistent. I am around 18-20% right now and I still have striations, separation and quad veins in my legs, and my arms are vascular and lean.

My guess not seeing the rest of you would be around 10% give or take 3% in either direction based on individual fat storage patterns. To be honest the only real value I see in bodyfat measurement at this point is to know what your LBM is for setting up protein req's but to be honest those can easily be estimated to ideal ranges. Other than that you can look in the mirror and decide if you are growing, or not, or if you are lean enough for how you want to look. You don't need a number to look in the mirror and be like damn I look ripped...

By the way I think you described yourself as "leanish" or some other word that implied you didn't think you are very lean. Here is my leanness identification chart, and where you fall on it. LOL

Lean
Cut
Ripped - YOU ARE HERE!
Shredded -
Diced
Peeled
Thanks man ?

Yeh took a long time for me to take a good look at myself and think.. Yea...Your getting in good shape now ? A get comments all the time saying looking a bit thin are you no? It use to bother the life out me and thats the reason i quit my last cut.. Thats when i have clothes on.. Looking at the above image though. Does that look unhealthy? A dont do the dad bod sorry ? Ive had that comment from fat folk also.. I personally think thats what physique all your athletes will have.

I carry fat on my back also.. A think its a common area for men. One of the last spots for it to come off. What % do you bulk up to before you start doing a cut?

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Are you sure? Your avatar implies you like more of a classic bodybuilder physique. Just picking, I saw that and thought it was ironic after reading that statement. Either way you are looking great, just hope you have some wheels to match your upper body development.
My legs are better than my upper body tbh.. My upper body is catching up though but a good year might see it similar. I dont really train legs too hard these days. Deadlifts, 'Lunges and leg extensions once a week. I cycle a good few mile each week and it keeps them in shape also.

A will need to change that profile desciption.. I never really bother too much with my profile. Prefer just browsing and posting on here.. But a will change it

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Thanks i appreciate that

Currently I’m 6’2 and 207 lbs. picture below from about 8 days ago (posted it on my cycle log at the end of my first ph run). My guess is 13-15% bf

I used to be really overweight (loose skin overweight) so asthetically it screws things a bit but as friends on here have highlighted, if I can keeping working hard and get to around 225 then that muscle should fill most of the skin. It’s been 4 years since I lost that weight and I’m discovering just how much harder gaining lean mass is compared to losing weight �� that said I love the journey so if it takes many more years that’s what it takes.....

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/attachments/158459d1513027200-first-cycle-log-ea2e0e3e-dcbf-482d

Last edited:
bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Currently I’m 6’2 and 207 lbs. picture below from about 8 days ago (posted it on my cycle log at the end of my first ph run). My guess is 13-15% bf

I used to be really overweight (loose skin overweight) so asthetically it screws things a bit but as friends on here have highlighted, if I can keeping working hard and get to around 225 then that muscle should fill most of the skin. It’s been 4 years since I lost that weight and I’m discovering just how much harder gaining lean mass is compared to losing weight ? that said I love the journey so if it takes many more years that’s what it takes.....

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/attachments/158459d1513027200-first-cycle-log-ea2e0e3e-dcbf-482d
Awesome... Brilliant job losing all that weight.. Yeh i can notice the loose skin but tbh.. Atleast you have your health now and a far better physique ? The skin should should tighten with time ' lifting & gaining mass.. Its also a good incentive to keep at it as the end result will look great ?

Your carrying a healthy amount of muscle.. Arms are looking on point.

How much weight did you lose all in?

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Awesome... Brilliant job losing all that weight.. Yeh i can notice the loose skin but tbh.. Atleast you have your health now and a far better physique �� The skin should should tighten with time ' lifting & gaining mass.. Its also a good incentive to keep at it as the end result will look great ��

Your carrying a healthy amount of muscle.. Arms are looking on point.

How much weight did you lose all in?
Thanks bro. I dropped 140lbs initially - took me down to 182lbs (a dexa put me at 10.4% bf at that point but I looked and was weak). Since then I’ve added (very slowly) 25lbs of relatively lean mass. Made loads of mistakes (including listening to other people rather than trusting my own knowledge) and learnt loads - still learning and I’m sure I’ve got mistakes still to make, just hopefully less of them now lol.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Looking good Whisky
bell1986, no you do not look unhealthy but to people used to seeing you larger in clothes you probably do. Plus if most of the loss was recent your face probably looks a little emaciated. Again next time you hear that say Nope, pull your shirt up and show those abs and pecs and say I think I am good.

My first competition I went from walking around at 215 and 20+ % down into the upper 170's for my show and people thought I looked ill in my clothes. When they would ask I would tell them no, I am just getting ripped, see. Then bam show em the guns or the abs... Normally it would be an "OH I had no idea you looked like that under there!!!!"

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks bro. I dropped 140lbs initially - took me down to 182lbs (a dexa put me at 10.4% bf at that point but I looked and was weak). Since then I’ve added (very slowly) 25lbs of relatively lean mass. Made loads of mistakes (including listening to other people rather than trusting my own knowledge) and learnt loads - still learning and I’m sure I’ve got mistakes still to make, just hopefully less of them now lol.
Wow! That is an brilliant achievement. You must feel so much better? Your health must have improved ten fold?

We all make mistakes but from those mistakes you learn how to never do them again ?.. I use to do the exact same.. But am glad i did. Makes you a better person.

How long did that weight loss take you?

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Wow! That is an brilliant achievement. You must feel so much better? Your health must have improved ten fold?

We all make mistakes but from those mistakes you learn how to never do them again ��.. I use to do the exact same.. But am glad i did. Makes you a better person.

How long did that weight loss take you?
Ironically that was one of my mistakes, it took just under a year. 100% would have done it slower if I knew then what I know now.....

Initially it was all about my health (have two young beautiful guys and didn’t want them to be caring for me in my 50’s when they should be enjoying their life’s).

Then I found I loved the fitness lifestyle as does my wife. Now it’s also aesthetics that keep me going (having never experienced being in shape I really enjoy looking ‘fit’)

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ironically that was one of my mistakes, it took just under a year. 100% would have done it slower if I knew then what I know now.....

Initially it was all about my health (have two young beautiful guys and didn’t want them to be caring for me in my 50’s when they should be enjoying their life’s).

Then I found I loved the fitness lifestyle as does my wife. Now it’s also aesthetics that keep me going (having never experienced being in shape I really enjoy looking ‘fit’)
Must be very proud of yourself. ;)

People always want to lose weight but the % that actually stick to a diet is very little these days. Im still young and vein so i want to look good! lollll :D

I recently had a friend ask me to help them structure a way to lose weight/fat. Ive always been concerned for him as hes taking a ton of med's to keep his blood pressure in check. He was very stubborn that its not the weight that's causing the blood pressure increase but i one day turned round and says... Your weight is causing the increase bro a hate to sound rotten. Lose weight and your blood pressure will stabilise. He did take it on board though. (5ft8 and 18.5 stone) Anyway... I wrote him up a diet (Calorie consumption more than just sticking all healthy foods) started him in a 3-500 deficit at the start and for cardio i would just go an hour's walk 2-3 times a week with him (Nothing over the top but just some mild cardio) i says give me a weekly weigh in and 3 month later he was over 2+ stone down. Fast forward to recent he had a break in his diet and just binge'd but deny'd it but i seen him gain weight and also not giving me his weigh in's... He never ever returned and regained everything + more and his blood pressure has rocketed again. A was like so 3 month of diet'n and your back taking a ton of med's again and back to your start... Why? I says you have 3 kids to look after you need to get your health in check or your gonna get major health problems ie Diabetes ' Heart trouble etc. Amaze's me how people wait till health issue's arrive before actually panicking.

What im getting at is reading storys like your's shows me your want this so bad and your gonna stick to it. You have reached a point where you can just look better and better with your hard work. You have pushed about double what my friend got to (When he did lose weight) so fair play to you. Be good to see your progress as you go along

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Update.

That cheat day last Saturday seems to have rocket'd my fat loss/metabolism

I was stuck around 157.4 pounds for a wee while thier. Had that cheat day and went up to 161.6 pounds (Water weight/glycogen) and 6 days later i am now at 156 pounds and looking so much leaner. This is the leanest i have ever been.

Its gonna make me never fear a good cheat day (1 a fortnight not weekly) as the results are speaking for themself.

Does anyone else get a major boost after a good cheat day?

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Update.

I was stuck around 157.4 pounds for a wee while thier. Had that cheat day and went up to 161.6 pounds (Water weight/glycogen) and 6 days later i am now at 156 pounds and looking so much leaner. This is the leanest i have ever been.

Its gonna make me never fear a good cheat day (1 a fortnight not weekly) as the results are speaking for themself.

Your workout the next day was probably very good as well.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Update.

This is actually a very typical response when you physically need or are ready for the cheat meal. Not so much if it is a purely psychological desire to have more. Depending on the deficits and what not anywhere from one a week to one a month makes sense. Most people don't have any reason to have a cheat or refeed in the first month of weight loss unless already pretty lean. At least no physically, now psychologically that is a completely different animal that is to broad to get into here.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It depends on your glycogen stores. If they are on empty for too long, strength going down, feeling weak, tired in gym, you need a refeed or cheat meal, in this case refeed probably better, to refill glycogen stores.

DEHUMANiZER

Awards
Thought I'd continue in this thread..

Is there any reason why I didn't see any effects of my last cheat day? I ate a sh**ton of calories but I still felt like I was freezing the next day, didn't have any energy, flat like in a calorie deficit without any of the usual "Full as F*CK" rdy to go feeling?!? Have I been in keto for too long :S?

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Is there any reason why I didn't see any effects of my last cheat day? I ate a sh**ton of calories but I still felt like I was freezing the next day, didn't have any energy, flat like in a calorie deficit without any of the usual "Full as F*CK" rdy to go feeling?!? Have I been in keto for too long :S?
What are your refeed days for? Sanity? Fat loss? A day to relax? Etc

Was it a cheat day or a planned refeed ie.. Very high carbs.. 1g per pound of protein and fat at a bare minimum or was it a eat everything in site day?

If your on Keto your glycogen stores will have fully been filled back up. If your carbs were very high anyway. So you should have seen a change in your physique just from that alone. Your next day gym sesh should have been an improvement also. Not drastic but an extra boost in energy.

Have you done cheat days before with success?

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Try two days in a row of higher carbs, clean carbs mind you, , and reduce fat some. Those carbs will replenish glycogen and help speed up t3 to t4 conversion. Try this this next 4 days you train then go back to keto again. repeat as neccessary

DEHUMANiZER

Awards
Try two days in a row of higher carbs, clean carbs mind you, , and reduce fat some. Those carbs will replenish glycogen and help speed up t3 to t4 conversion. Try this this next 4 days you train then go back to keto again. repeat as neccessary
Sorry! I've been on a long business trip and haven't had time to browse the forum. 2 cheat days in a row did the trick for some reason? Any idea why? Now I feel much better during the rest of the week when I started with this approach.

Usually I only eat once during a cheat day and consume a lot of calories in one sitting. (since I'm doing IF ) On my regular days I eat very little just 2-3h before my training session and have my "higher" calorie meal straight after my training.

Thnx for the feedback guys!

khanhlong123

khanhlong123

Awards
what There's a difference between a cheat meal and a tactical refeed.

DEHUMANiZER

Awards
If I didn't hit the weights the next day after a refeed/cheat day would it make the refeed/cheat day a waste and store everything as fat? Since I have a very busy lifestyle it would kind of be better for me to have the refeeds on a Saturday and have a day off the gym on Sunday and then hit the gym again on Monday? What do you think?

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If I didn't hit the weights the next day after a refeed/cheat day would it make the refeed/cheat day a waste and store everything as fat? Since I have a very busy lifestyle it would kind of be better for me to have the refeeds on a Saturday and have a day off the gym on Sunday and then hit the gym again on Monday? What do you think?
I dont do refeeds days I used to. To answer your question I think it would be a waste of time

jdwaca

jdwaca

Awards
That is perfectly fine. The idea is to let your body rest and replenish. I typically train Saturday morning, have my re-feed Saturday night, and take Sunday off. I always wake up lighter on Monday, and Mondays workout is on point! You will not get fat from 1 meal!