can you still get fat by drinking alot of water after eating unhealthy food?

Page 3 of 3 First 123

  1. Quote Originally Posted by justhere4comm View Post
    Then drink more so you don't eat a large junk food meal, or don't eat junk food.
    Everyone long timer here knows the battle is fought in the kitchen with at least 70 percent of your effort. This isn't theoretical physics we are discussing.

    • Drink water
    • Eat proper
    • Work out
    • and Rest

    Even drinking more water and LESS junk food would permit losing weight but not because as the OP stated, 'flushing out the fat'. If you do not wish to succeed, then you won't. Fix this, then supplement where needed to assist.
    Totally agree I just feel that some people twist these rules to try and allow them to eat what they want and wonder why they don't lose weight. "I don't understand it I'm drinking a **** tonne of water before every meal so I should automatically start losing weight". My wife is going through a similar thing at the moment with slimming world. They have a group of "free" foods that apparently you can eat as much as you want of and it won't effect your weight loss. They are obviously relying on the theory that they are foods that should fill you up so you should eat less just like the water theory but the foods include pasta and potatoes. I guarantee that there are men or women out there confused as to why they are not losing weight whilst eating six plate fulls of potatoes and pasta a day.


  2. What he is doing helps you feel un-comfortably full which translates to not eating as much garbage in the short term. Otherwise, he lives under a bridge..yes.
    •   
       


  3. High fiber and healthy foods would be better along with not eating garbage.

    That accounts for at least 2/3 of ones efforts. If you canít do this donít go to the gym. Just donít bother.
    BLACK LION RESEARCH
    I am an ambassador of being healthy; fit, and smart.
    15% code: MARK15

  4. Quote Originally Posted by justhere4comm View Post
    High fiber and healthy foods would be better along with not eating garbage.

    That accounts for at least 2/3 of ones efforts. If you can’t do this don’t go to the gym. Just don’t bother.
    I literally had this chat with a friend earlier. Another mate of ours is about 30-40lbs overweight, he’s smashing the gym loads but still eating ****e and getting no where.

    Just crazy how people either don’t get it or suddenly don’t want it enough to not smash down a tub of ice cream every Saturday

  5. Quote Originally Posted by Whisky View Post
    I literally had this chat with a friend earlier. Another mate of ours is about 30-40lbs overweight, he’s smashing the gym loads but still eating ****e and getting no where.

    Just crazy how people either don’t get it or suddenly don’t want it enough to not smash down a tub of ice cream every Saturday
    Right on.

    You have to decide mentally if you are ready to make the sacrifice. Not to get to the gym. That's the easy part... but once you do, make the commitment to yourself to eat right and power that body that is going to the gym and working so hard. It's an insult otherwise.
    BLACK LION RESEARCH
    I am an ambassador of being healthy; fit, and smart.
    15% code: MARK15
    •   
       

  6. can you still get fat by drinking alot of water after eating unhealthy food?


    Quote Originally Posted by Whisky View Post
    I literally had this chat with a friend earlier. Another mate of ours is about 30-40lbs overweight, heís smashing the gym loads but still eating ****e and getting no where.

    Just crazy how people either donít get it or suddenly donít want it enough to not smash down a tub of ice cream every Saturday
    i really dont see the point here, wtf should be the problem with smashing down a pint of ice cream every saturday? (do we speak about 10kg or a pint of ben & jerrys?).

    if you have enough fiber, veggies, fruits, proteins and essential fat acids, you can eat whatever you want. if one eats only white rice as carb source or only gummy bears - both carb sources will give exactly the same results.

    if he eats only ice cream, he wouldnt make as much gains as he could (primarily because lack of protein), thats clear but if he gets in all macronutrients above, he gets as well all micronutrients and if thats the case, you can eat ice cream literally everyday without doing anything bad to your body composition or to your health. of course if you stay within your calories.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by iamyourfather View Post
    i really dont see the point here, wtf should be the problem with smashing down a pint of ice cream every saturday? (do we speak about 10kg or a pint of ben & jerrys?).

    if you have enough fiber, veggies, fruits, proteins and essential fat acids, you can eat whatever you want. if one eats only white rice as carb source or only gummy bears - both carb sources will give exactly the same results.

    if he eats only ice cream, he wouldnt make as much gains as he could (primarily because lack of protein), thats clear but if he gets in all macronutrients above, he gets as well all micronutrients and if thats the case, you can eat ice cream literally everyday without doing anything bad to your body composition or to your health. of course if you stay within your calories.
    And in your last 4 words you identified the problem.....most people don’t sacrifice enough out of the rest of the day to make room for that in their calories. My point was that his nutrition is poor hence why no progress despite hitting it hard in the gym.

    I know all the theory that you can whatever you like and obtain your ideal body composition as long as you hit your macros - I personally don’t think this approach is sustainable as eating crap too often makes you feel like crap thus hindering adherence. It’s also much easier to consume excess calories from junk food.
  8. can you still get fat by drinking alot of water after eating unhealthy food?


    Quote Originally Posted by Whisky View Post
    And in your last 4 words you identified the problem.....most people donít sacrifice enough out of the rest of the day to make room for that in their calories. My point was that his nutrition is poor hence why no progress despite hitting it hard in the gym.

    I know all the theory that you can whatever you like and obtain your ideal body composition as long as you hit your macros - I personally donít think this approach is sustainable as eating crap too often makes you feel like crap thus hindering adherence. Itís also much easier to consume excess calories from junk food.
    as said above - if you hit your macros and then also your MICROS (enough whole foods, vegetables and fruits) THEN you can eat junk without problems. ive never said that only your macros count, thats not what IIFYM is. people misunderstand IIFYM and think they can eat junk the whole day as long as it fits in their macros but that BS. 800g vegetables/fruits per day should be the goal, enough protein, 3g epa/dha and if you hitted those macros/basics, you also hit a lot of the micros with this food. and now you can eat your ice cream, everyday if you want. of course you should track your food intake.

    its true that people who cant regulate their intake, will easily overeat on sweets, at least easier than with chicken and rice, im with you at this point, absolutely.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by HIT4ME View Post
    Guys, I am gonna side with the OP on this. You are all wrong...provided he is drinking very cold water.

    Now, if he drank a gallon of water that was COLD, like 3 degrees Celsius. The body would need to heat that to 34 degrees (human body temp).

    It takes 1 calorie to raise a gram of water 1 degree C.

    A gallon of water weighs about 3785 grams.

    3785 grams x 34 degrees = 128,690 calories.

    We are really talking kcals though, so almost 129 calories are burned.

    Well, kind of. There is heat in our bodies that is already wasted and just sitting there, ready to heat the water or dissipate. So in the real world this isn't exact...but that gallon could likely save him at least 50 calories.

    Drinking 10 gallons of cold cold water is like spending an hour on a treadmill at 5 mph. Shred city.
    I was twitching reading this until it became obvious it was satire. You big stinkah!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whisky View Post
    You got me thinking, rather than drinking cold water surely the same principle could be applied if external temperature was lowered......thus the idea of ice baths in fast food joints has been born....
    Yes this is very true, not only does an ice bath work but so does cryogenic treatments in a cryo chamber. I got noticeably leaner without dietary changes when I was doing cryo stuff twice a week during my meet prep. It was like I added in cardio all of the sudden.
    Quote Originally Posted by HIT4ME View Post
    Well, actually - ice baths would burn more calories than drinking water. I mean, you could "easily" get in a bath with 20-30 gallons of ice and try to melt it with your own body heat...although, this may kill you because you won't be able to heat the ice fast enough. But if you could find a cold temp that you could survive and heat up a bunch of water through your body heat, you would burn more cals of course...basic physics.

    BUT, being in cold environments also causes the creation of brown fat (at least in theory) - so beyond getting the actual calorie burn from heating the water, your body would adjust and create new ways to burn more calories all the time (through brown fat) - thus increasing metabolism even when not in the cold bath.

    Not sure I'd advise going to extreme on this though.
    No need for extremes 15 minutes in an ice bath would benefit your entire body and not risk hypothermia. Professional athletes with access to ice tubs do this all of the time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Whisky View Post
    I literally had this chat with a friend earlier. Another mate of ours is about 30-40lbs overweight, he’s smashing the gym loads but still eating ****e and getting no where.

    Just crazy how people either don’t get it or suddenly don’t want it enough to not smash down a tub of ice cream every Saturday
    Now now, don't go saying he is not getting anywhere. He is making improvements for sure!!!! His weight may not be going down but he is increasing muscle mass, as well as his general conditioning and I am sure somewhat his heart health. He is just not making aesthetic progress. People can be overweight but in excellent condition. I know overweight people in far better aerobic condition then I am. Can run miles at a time and have excellent health markers. They just also eat what they want so to those of us that vanity guides a lot of our motivation this is not progress but the most important progress to be made from exercise is better health, and they are getting that even if not dieting how we see fit.

    Could the results be better certainly but Baby steps are better for longevity. If anything like me the more discipline he shows with training the gradually more disciplined he will be on nutrition. Lifting is fun and I still want to stay home sometimes, or skip a very hard exercise on occasion. That is showing a lack of discipine on something I like to do... Dieting sucks so it is going to be that much harder to do it better because there is no enjoyment factor to restricting food or food choices. So for me my training gets in line first then my nutrition follows. Will probably be similar for him if he sticks with it.

    Quote Originally Posted by justhere4comm View Post
    Right on.

    You have to decide mentally if you are ready to make the sacrifice. Not to get to the gym. That's the easy part... but once you do, make the commitment to yourself to eat right and power that body that is going to the gym and working so hard. It's an insult otherwise.
    I don't now why it would be an insult... nothing insulting about it. People have to come to their own decisions on when they are ready to make sacrifices or if for THEIR goals if the sacrifice makes sense or seems too large for them to handle at the time. Besides, I don't think you can offend exercise, or nutrition, so who would be getting insulted? Would you feel insulted by someone else working out but not following a diet plan? If so the question there is why? Their efficiency in obtaining their goals has no bearing on anyone but themselves.

    Quote Originally Posted by Whisky View Post
    And in your last 4 words you identified the problem.....most people don’t sacrifice enough out of the rest of the day to make room for that in their calories. My point was that his nutrition is poor hence why no progress despite hitting it hard in the gym.

    I know all the theory that you can whatever you like and obtain your ideal body composition as long as you hit your macros - I personally don’t think this approach is sustainable as eating crap too often makes you feel like crap thus hindering adherence. It’s also much easier to consume excess calories from junk food.
    Well, again, achieving ideal body composition has NOTHING to do with feeling like crap. It has to do with caloric balance, a little timing and a little but macro choices. Think about bodybuilding prep, most of it is spent feeling like crap! Most people who follow IIFWM appropriately still have about 80% of the diet in clean choices and they are also paying attention to Micro nutrients, this keeps them healthy. Those who achieve success with that type of eating actually have to track closely to make it work.

    Now a lot of others do it less efficiently, and less health consciously. No doubt eating a high percentage of processed junk is not going to lead to feeling optimal. However I also feel that these people would also not do well on a strict diet they are expected to track things on.
    Live Hard, Laugh Hard, Love Hard and Heal Fast! - KLEEN
    Current Training Log -
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/276206-kleen-strong-body.html

  10. Quote Originally Posted by MrKleen73 View Post
    I



    Now now, don't go saying he is not getting anywhere. He is making improvements for sure!!!! His weight may not be going down but he is increasing muscle mass, as well as his general conditioning and I am sure somewhat his heart health. He is just not making aesthetic progress. People can be overweight but in excellent condition. I know overweight people in far better aerobic condition then I am. Can run miles at a time and have excellent health markers. They just also eat what they want so to those of us that vanity guides a lot of our motivation this is not progress but the most important progress to be made from exercise is better health, and they are getting that even if not dieting how we see fit.

    Could the results be better certainly but Baby steps are better for longevity. If anything like me the more discipline he shows with training the gradually more disciplined he will be on nutrition. Lifting is fun and I still want to stay home sometimes, or skip a very hard exercise on occasion. That is showing a lack of discipine on something I like to do... Dieting sucks so it is going to be that much harder to do it better because there is no enjoyment factor to restricting food or food choices. So for me my training gets in line first then my nutrition follows. Will probably be similar for him if he sticks with it.
    In fairness you are quite right, he is making progress, but I should have mentioned his stated goals are asthetic rather than strength based. His cardiovascular health is solid but it’s frustrating when trying to help someone achieve something they say they want but they don’t make that nutritional change.

    Honestly I think it frustrates me more as I know he could get there so easily with just dialling in the nutrition. I like seeing other people achieve fitness goals, whether it’s a lifting partner hitting a pb or even more when it’s someone achieving a body they thought they could never have......

  11. Quote Originally Posted by Whisky View Post
    In fairness you are quite right, he is making progress, but I should have mentioned his stated goals are asthetic rather than strength based. His cardiovascular health is solid but it’s frustrating when trying to help someone achieve something they say they want but they don’t make that nutritional change.

    Honestly I think it frustrates me more as I know he could get there so easily with just dialling in the nutrition. I like seeing other people achieve fitness goals, whether it’s a lifting partner hitting a pb or even more when it’s someone achieving a body they thought they could never have......
    Totally understandable. Perhaps introduce him to intermittent fasting where he can have a few more calorie dense food choices. Just not taking in calories until 12-1 allows for more "normal" food choices, and is more forgiving of the occasional bad decision. Most people can't stand the idea of restrictive dieting all week but dieting intensely for the first 6 hours of the day and having more normal food choices later in the day is much more doable for many!
    Live Hard, Laugh Hard, Love Hard and Heal Fast! - KLEEN
    Current Training Log -
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/276206-kleen-strong-body.html

  12. Quote Originally Posted by MrKleen73 View Post
    Totally understandable. Perhaps introduce him to intermittent fasting where he can have a few more calorie dense food choices. Just not taking in calories until 12-1 allows for more "normal" food choices, and is more forgiving of the occasional bad decision. Most people can't stand the idea of restrictive dieting all week but dieting intensely for the first 6 hours of the day and having more normal food choices later in the day is much more doable for many!
    Yeah definitely worth a shot......good idea

  13. Is it bad that there are so many threads that are similar and I've been in such a tongue-in-cheek mood the past couple days thay...I don't even remember which convo is which anymore. I have lost myself here...

  14. Quote Originally Posted by muscleupcrohn View Post
    Thatís not what I really mean. Heís at a ďdisadvantageĒ due to his height, but heís a solid offensive player (lots of points, efficient, etc). I heard that on defense he canít make up for his height, that he gives up more points than a great/elite guard should.

    For example, and I know itís not a normal stat, but that newfangled analysis stuff, but the RPM (real plus minus), a metric that ďmeasures how well a team does offensively and defensively with any given on court, and compares it with how well the team does at each with that same player off the court,Ē had Thomas ranked as the 3rd best offensive PG in the NBA, but last (78th) among eligible PGs in defensive RPM.

    I hear lots of people saying that his lack of defensive ability can be exploited in the finals and that may make it difficult to win a championship.
    This is true. But Kyrie Irving also isn't rated as being a top point guard by the RPM ...i think he is 12 or 14th offensively. I am not saying he is a great defensive player and he certainly has struggles and isn't as good defensively as he is offensively.

    The thing is, coaches used to laugh when they were playing against Thomas and saw him stepping on the court. He isn't even supposed to be in the NBA and everyone kept telling him that. The guy is a fighter and, as you say, has a huge chip on his shoulder. I just don't ever wanna say he can't do something...he has made a fool of a lot of people who underestimated him, and even after he did so people still don't realize.

    In other words he is a really good player...he isn't Steph curry or LeBron James, but he is very good. He has EARNED his spot as the starting PG on every team he has ever played on. Liability or not.

  15. Quote Originally Posted by HIT4ME View Post
    This is true. But Kyrie Irving also isn't rated as being a top point guard by the RPM ...i think he is 12 or 14th offensively. I am not saying he is a great defensive player and he certainly has struggles and isn't as good defensively as he is offensively.

    The thing is, coaches used to laugh when they were playing against Thomas and saw him stepping on the court. He isn't even supposed to be in the NBA and everyone kept telling him that. The guy is a fighter and, as you say, has a huge chip on his shoulder. I just don't ever wanna say he can't do something...he has made a fool of a lot of people who underestimated him, and even after he did so people still don't realize.

    In other words he is a really good player...he isn't Steph curry or LeBron James, but he is very good. He has EARNED his spot as the starting PG on every team he has ever played on. Liability or not.
    Oh, for sure heís earned his starting spot, and then some. Even with his poor defense factored in, heís still an above average guard. Weíll see how they do in the postseason.
    Performax Labs Online Rep.
    Facebook.com/pmaxlabs
    www.PerformaxLabs.com
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-03-2015, 12:42 AM
  2. Can you still build muscle PCT?
    By Cwaynemash in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-03-2012, 07:18 PM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-22-2012, 10:32 AM
  4. Can i still get nasty mass?
    By Ricky5145 in forum Purus Labs
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-09-2010, 12:37 AM
  5. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-08-2007, 07:47 AM
Log in
Log in