Post shoulder surgery fat loss goal?

SouthPawSD

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Hey all,

So in two weeks I'm going in for torn labrum/ frayed rotator cuff surgery. I will be in a sling for mandatory 6 weeks and maybe some after that. From what I know, no upper body lifting until 3-4 months. I will be able to train legs and abs.

So my question is would cutting be a horrible idea?

My thought was I know I will lose upper body mass no matter what but I could maintain muscle mass in my legs and abs and drop some bf while laided up.

My other thought would be to just eat at maintenance and once I start lifting again go into a cut.

Thoughts? Thanks!!

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Good luck dude!! I had that same surgery Sept 25th. I stopped wearing my sling around the house after 4 weeks.. Wore it out in public for 6 weeks in case a coworker saw me. Lol. Getting released tomorrow for a light duty job at work. Hoping the Dr tells me to start moving the light (3-5lbs) db's around.
In the meantime, I've been riding the street stationary bike and doing legs 2x a week..

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Do what you gotta do, but don't push it. Shoulder injuries have a way of coming back at you when you get older. Trust me.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
My other thought would be to just eat at maintenance and once I start lifting again go into a cut.

Thoughts? Thanks!!
I think this would be your best option. If you aren't able to train, putting yourself in a deficit will result in a more significant loss of muscle than if you stay around maintenance. Also, eating at maintenance will help with recovery overall. I would try to stay active and as mobile as possible, but I wouldn't recommend trying to cut. I would wait until you can train again and then cut

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hey all,

So in two weeks I'm going in for torn labrum/ frayed rotator cuff surgery. I will be in a sling for mandatory 6 weeks and maybe some after that. From what I know, no upper body lifting until 3-4 months. I will be able to train legs and abs.

So my question is would cutting be a horrible idea?

My thought was I know I will lose upper body mass no matter what but I could maintain muscle mass in my legs and abs and drop some bf while laided up.

Thoughts? Thanks!!
I would suggest eating at maintenance give or take. Even though you cannot lift, remember, your body is going through a recovery process. When the body is recovery from a traumatic experience, it uses energy to do so, calories will help that. You still need to fuel her body so it can recovery as quickly as possible.

Take it from someone who had a heart transplant and was back to lifting in 6 weeks.