for those who have trouble eating in the morning

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
How do you overcome it? I am trying to bulk and its getting harder and harder for me to eat in the morning. I am one of those kids who usually has a slight upset stomach upon waking. I have tried eating different things, nothing helps. I can barely get down a shake with milk. Also I work out about an hour after eatting in the morning. I usually puke at the gym or come close to it even if I eat a little.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
I'm the same way. What I do now, is just have like 8 oz. of gatorade to get my stomach out of that quezzy feeling. I wait about a half-hour and then I drink a egg protein shake with oil and milk followed by a bowl of rice. I also only train in the evening now (around 4-5:00 pm. Seems to help me better now.

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
I am so fucken tired after work, I have to work out in the mornings. The sugars in the gatorade makes your stomach less upset? Usually when I drink something sugary like orange juice in the morning, I feel real sick. (I dont mean to be a pussy about this)

Magickk

Magickk

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
(I dont mean to be a pussy about this)
You stole the words right out of my mouth LoL

Nah I used to be the same way, but I just forced it down and got used to it basically... It's not a difficult thing to overcome IMO, if you really want to

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
I do shove it down.....the problem is when I work out, it comes right back up.

tattoopierced1

I've found if you get up once during the night and have yourself a protein shake, that I'm really hungry by the time I get up. Might want to give this a try to see if it helps.

Enigma76

Enigma76

Awards
  • Established
Usually when I drink something sugary like orange juice in the morning, I feel real sick. (I dont mean to be a pussy about this)
Just wondering, but you dont ever mix something like milk in a shake and then separately a glass of OJ or something acidic afterwards do you? I've done that numerous times, and it ALWAYS comes back to bite me in the ass.

Try to shy away from acidic things in the morning maybe?

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Make sure you brush your teeth in the morning too, the sweetness of the toothpaste will make you salivate and might help.

EDIT: I have a friend who brushes his teeth after breakfast and not before... I don't understand why lol

slawton

Awards
I'm lucky enough to be able to stomach just about anything...

anything except multiple tablespoons of flax seed oil ugh

I brush my teeth after breakfast too keeps em feeling clean til the next meal

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Are you getting enough sleep? When I don't get enough sleep I feel nauseous. I never ate breakfast until 3 years ago when I started working out. I just got used to it. Hopefully you will too.

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
Make sure you brush your teeth in the morning too, the sweetness of the toothpaste will make you salivate and might help.

EDIT: I have a friend who brushes his teeth after breakfast and not before... I don't understand why lol
funny you mention this. Actually, brushing my teeth sometimes makes me sick cuz I always swallow a little tooth paste. I brush in the shower now so I can drink the shower water and spit out continously (again, not meaning to be a pussy)

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
Are you eating enough in your bedtime meal?

EDIT: Or too much?

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
Are you getting enough sleep? When I don't get enough sleep I feel nauseous. I never ate breakfast until 3 years ago when I started working out. I just got used to it. Hopefully you will too.
I suck at sleeping, always have. its chronic

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
Are you eating enough in your bedtime meal?

EDIT: Or too much?
It usually doesnt matter how much or little I eat the night before. I tried eating a little, Ive tried eating a lot and in between.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
That could have something to do with it. I'm guessing you've tried melatonin. It works very well for me. I think Nutraplanet just picked up some Blue liquid something that helps with sleep.

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
I took melatonin at 3mg ed for a week and it did nothing.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I've read that it is safe at up to 10mg per day. Double check, but that might be the key. I don't have trouble sleeping, but when I take melatonin, even 1.5mg, I'm out like a light. I've read that endo melatonin deficiency is the root of some insomnia. Try upping the dose. If you fall into this category then maybe 3mg still isn't enough to put you at a normal baseline.

One thing I do know: you'll have a very difficult time making gains and cutting if you don't get this sleep/a.m. eating thing worked out. Keep at it bro

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
where could I find this info out? Abouth the dosages of melatonin?

prime

Awards
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=melatonin+dangers+side+effects

I don't remember where I read all the info. It was over a year ago, when I wanted to make sure the stuff was safe.
dam... i've been taking melatonin now at 3mg every night for over a year and it usually works very well for me. but i just used that link and read some articles and found this:

"There are growing concerns about the possibility of damage to the retina of the eye associated with melatonin use."

anyone heard anything else about this???

FunkMasterFlex

Awards
melatonin is best cycled if there is not a Everyday need for it. Every other day use is what alot of ppl are going with. They have used it in cancer treatment in up to 40mg a day. I would try 6 then 9 mg and try to find a one week on and off schedule if you can. 70% of insominia can be treated with melatonin.

die2live

Awards
GABA can also be of some help in sleeping more soundly, though I have never used it personally. Anyway along these lines - I love to eat first thing in the morning but now I am switching around to eating nothing until after 30mins of cardio. I know you may be trying to add weight but beleive me after a solid 30min session of cardio I am a very hungry boy. Also this regimen of cardio on an empty stomach is a way to naturally promote accelerated fat loss - so you get a higher % fat burned in the same unit time as if you did the cardio after eating or later in the day.... just a thought.

CarryOnTheChaos

Awards
  • Established
bump what funkmasterflex said...i dont feel jack at 3mg but at 9mg I drop like a fly in about 30 minutes, lol

regards,
COTC

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
thanks guys I am gonna bump up the melatonin dose. Are some brands of melatonin better than others?

intv

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Have you ever used ala, r-ala, or GXR? If I take any of those a few minutes before I eat, the drop in blood sugar makes me ravenous. Every used B-12? Injectable B-12/B complex also seems to help my appetite. Maybe try eating just a little bit about an hour before you workout, like a small 1/2 protein, 1/2 oats shake, or even some BCAAs - just enough to keep you from getting catabolic. Then eat a good PW meal.

BULK_CITY

Awards
i was the exact same way... I have even thrown up b/c i tried to force myself to eat my breakfast of 2 scoops protein and 2 cups oatmeal...

after 2.5 yrs i am used to it and actually hungry in the morning (maybe b/c i have a lot more mass and they want nutritents? dunno)

1- get used to it (eventually you will be used to it) and force it down
2- try taking shakes (blend your oatmeal with water and drink it rather than heating it up... assuming you eat oats in the morning, this was the easiest way to get them down)
3- get enough sleep... getting 8-10 hrs of sleep every night will allow your body to use up the nutrients from the day before leaving you near catabolic in the morning.. and you will be hungry and look forward to eating when you wake
4-get pissed at yourself... act like "wtf body? youre so dam weak! you cant even eat this in the morning without puking? well **** you! here it comes"... sounds stupid but it may help

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
4-get pissed at yourself... act like "wtf body? youre so dam weak! you cant even eat this in the morning without puking? well **** you! here it comes"... sounds stupid but it may help
This is a good idea and it does work. I used to tell myself that I'm a pussy little bitch and then I'd just shove it in my face, and down my throat...lmao....get psyched, maybe play some Pantera while you're getting your chug on. :rofl:

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
is it just certain foods or does anything make you nauseous? If I was eating egg whites and oatmeal in the morning I'd probably get sick too :D

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
get pissed at yourself... act like "wtf body? youre so dam weak! you cant even eat this in the morning without puking? well **** you! here it comes"...
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: classic

Magickk

Magickk

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
This is a good idea and it does work. I used to tell myself that I'm a pussy little bitch and then I'd just shove it in my face, and down my throat...lmao....get psyched, maybe play some Pantera while you're getting your chug on. :rofl:
That's entirely too much "crunkness" for that early in the morning for me :lol: