Night hunger... tips?

Swindler

Swindler

Awards
  • Established
So I have been waking up with hunger in the middle.of the night usually try to go for something somewhat healthy like a can of tune or cottage cheese but end up having to eat a bowl of oat meal or peanut butter and whole wheat sandwich just to get a decent nights sleep. So just wondering if anyone had tips for suppressing night hunger and still get a decent nights sleep? Taking zink, magnesium, and melatonin it only helps so much.

Firreozkan

Firreozkan

Banned
Awards
I had this couple days ago! Up your kcal during the days for a period of time (couple of days) and you wont have this.

Swindler

Swindler

Awards
  • Established
Well I have upped my cals... cause I am currently bulking I did not think I would be this hungry at night am taking in a lot more protein and moderate carbs mainly around training. I dunno if maybe it's cause I am doing low rep heavy weight training.

Swindler

Swindler

Awards
  • Established
Also I have went from 1800kcal to roughly 2300-2500kcal depending on if it's leg day or not but I just can't curve this night hunger...

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I've had this problem my whole life, I wake up hungry multiple times per night. I can rember opening a gallon of milk before bed and it almost gone by morning. That messed up my stomach so I started making 2 pbj's before bed so they were ready. If your trying to get big it's a good problem but not if your dieting obviously.

Swindler

Swindler

Awards
  • Established
I've had this problem my whole life, I wake up hungry multiple times per night. I can rember opening a gallon of milk before bed and it almost gone by morning. That messed up my stomach so I started making 2 pbj's before bed so they were ready. If your trying to get big it's a good problem but not if your dieting obviously.
Yeah I am bulking but food setting in my stomach with no activity at night bothers me cause I know it's setting prolly just turning to fat... I have up my cals and still ravenous at night...

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Your body isn't going to turn what you eat into fat in the few hours your sleeping.

Swindler

Swindler

Awards
  • Established
It's weird cause I will be puffy the next morning till I get about half a gallon of water in me and the puffy Ness starts to go down I'm starting to think I don't handle carbs very well

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
That's a possibility, what about a shake with whey and peanut butter?

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Easiest solution is to have a large, protein and fat based meal right before bed. Fat slows digestion and protein is hardest to digest anyways so this should sit in your stomach a lot longer than some sandwiches.

steak, pork, greek yogurt (can make ice cream if you want more of a "treat"), etc. For me, going to bed stuffed to the gills is the best feeling in the world. There's nothing negative that will come from sleeping on a full stomach as the total cal burn from the day will far outweigh the "loss" while laying down. No worries about "more being stored as fat"... if your body is digesting, your metabolism is humming.

81dcs

81dcs

Awards
  • Established
Easiest solution is to have a large, protein and fat based meal right before bed. Fat slows digestion and protein is hardest to digest anyways so this should sit in your stomach a lot longer than some sandwiches.

steak, pork, greek yogurt (can make ice cream if you want more of a "treat"), etc. For me, going to bed stuffed to the gills is the best feeling in the world. There's nothing negative that will come from sleeping on a full stomach as the total cal burn from the day will far outweigh the "loss" while laying down. No worries about "more being stored as fat"... if your body is digesting, your metabolism is humming.
Agreed I started upping my fats recently starting keto diet and im no longer an over eater and I don't crave food b/f bed any more. ...who'd of thought it'd be something simple as adding fats.

clay

Swindler

Swindler

Awards
  • Established
That's a possibility, what about a shake with whey and peanut butter?
Hah that's funny you say this I just started incorporating casein before bed but I don't think it helps much it's enough for me to take about a 45 minute nap and I right back in the kitchen....

Swindler

Swindler

Awards
  • Established

Yeah I might should up my fats I only take in a little olive oil in te morning and I will throw some on my greens at night with my dinner and sometimes will eat a couple handfuls of some kind of peanuts or pistachios but it's prolly not near enough fats in my diet...

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
You need real food and fats plus protein is it. Shakes are stupid because they are broken down quickly and won't require much digestion. Even a "slow digesting" casein is nothing compared to a hunk of beef.

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Intermittent Fasting ? Fast the majority of the day and then a big meal at night.

What is your calories at the moment?... Cutting?

I have done intermittent fasting on and off and honestly i can easily fast for 24 hours on the odd black coffee and water. Then in the evening i can eat a ton of food that fit the macros. It does take a while to adjust but it has a ton of health benifits over and above. I find that carbs stimulate my hunger so much. So focus on a protein ' Fat meal in the evening? Fat is key for satiety aswell.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Intermittent Fasting �� Fast the majority of the day and then a big meal at night.

I have done intermittent fasting on and off and honestly i can easily fast for 24 hours on the odd black coffee and water. Then in the evening i can eat a ton of food that fit the macros. It does take a while to adjust but it has a ton of health benifits over and above. I find that carbs stimulate my hunger so much. So focus on a protein ' Fat meal in the evening? Fat is key for satiety aswell.
same thing I do... 1-2 giant meals before bed daily keeps me lean, sleeping hard, and rarely hungry. Also super convenient

Swindler

Swindler

Awards
  • Established
You need real food and fats plus protein is it. Shakes are stupid because they are broken down quickly and won't require much digestion. Even a "slow digesting" casein is nothing compared to a hunk of beef.
I eat food all day I just have a shake right after training and casein either before bed or if I wake up in the middle of the night the casein don't help much with night hunger though....

Swindler

Swindler

Awards
  • Established
Intermittent Fasting Fast the majority of the day and then a big meal at night.

That's interesting I am trying to lean bulk and started incorporating more food threw out the day was around 1800 but now I am 2300 -2500 I think maybe some times at night I I sleep eat and it could be getting up to near 2800.... but would the intermitting fasting thing work well even on cycle trying to bulk I have ate similar to going all day and smash at night during the summer it really cut me up....

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Lean bulking on 2300-2500? Whats your stats?

The whole food timing myth has been debunked many a times. All that matters are the macros at the end of the FULL day. Thiers also studies where fasting increased lean mass over a 6 month period over a non fasted group eating the same calories. (Be happy to give the link if you fancied a read) Fasting increases the bodys own HGH levels. Thiers tons of studys to prove it. But... Thats a different subject and also.. Complicated. I personally fast just so i can enjoy big meals and be more flexible. Especially in the evening and if it does increase HGH levels then thats also a added benifit ?

Worth a go but take it easy.. 16 hour fast with a 8 hour eating window is a good start. I have been fasting for 23 hours so far and feel zero hunger. If i had eaten earlier am certain i would be hungry by now... Weird one but it suits me

Swindler

Swindler

Awards
  • Established
Lean bulking on 2300-2500? Whats your stats?

The whole food timing myth has been debunked many a times. All that matters are the macros at the end of the FULL day. Thiers also studies where fasting increased lean mass over a 6 month period over a non fasted group eating the same calories. (Be happy to give the link if you fancied a read) Fasting increases the bodys own HGH levels. Thiers tons of studys to prove it. But... Thats a different subject and also.. Complicated. I personally fast just so i can enjoy big meals and be more flexible. Especially in the evening and if it does increase HGH levels then thats also a added benifit

Worth a go but take it easy.. 16 hour fast with a 8 hour eating window is a good start. I have been fasting for 23 hours so far and feel zero hunger. If i had eaten earlier am certain i would be hungry by now... Weird one but it suits me
I may have to give it a go on the fasting thing I just figured it help with training getting some carbs in around them?
33 age
190 lb
6ft
10-12%bf

But also I just started a cycle and I usually will put on an initial 15-20 the first three weeks which is where I am at now I started at 173lb 23 days ago dunno if that makes since....

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I eat food all day I just have a shake right after training and casein either before bed or if I wake up in the middle of the night the casein don't help much with night hunger though....
It makes sense casein doesn't work, you are consuming a liquid. It is not going to fill you up at all. As other have mentioned, eat a big pre bed meal with whole foods. I would backload your calories. Have smaller meals through the day and then your last meal or two, have most of your calories then. It is not going to negatively affect your body comp.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I may have to give it a go on the fasting thing I just figured it help with training getting some carbs in around them?
33 age
190 lb
6ft
10-12%bf

But also I just started a cycle and I usually will put on an initial 15-20 the first three weeks which is where I am at now I started at 173lb 23 days ago dunno if that makes since....
What is your cycle? That is a huge jump in just over three weeks. Are you running an AI?

banjobounce

banjobounce

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Omelet man. Omelet.

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
33 age
190 lb
6ft
10-12%bf

Whats your cycle? I wouldnt gain a pound on that low a calories to be honest and im smaller than you and lighter than you (Im 31 also) If its an oral like Dbol your more than likely filling up with water. Im around 3100 calories and even on that my weight creeps up.

Swindler

Swindler

Awards
  • Established
Whats your cycle? I wouldnt gain a pound on that low a calories to be honest and im smaller than you and lighter than you (Im 31 also) If its an oral like Dbol your more than likely filling up with water. Im around 3100 calories and even on that my weight creeps up.
test and deca but I put on weight fairly easy so I figured I would just add about 100-200 calories a week... I went all out once on a bulk and started eating 3000 Cal and got fay with a quickness. was a real bad idea... and I was eating clean....

Firreozkan

Firreozkan

Banned
Awards
Haha I'm eating up to 5k a day and I feel like I'm burning through it. I'm only 80kg and 174.5cm... 19 y/o