Cutting and macros

tindolos2414

Awards
Hi all,

From September 2016 to May 2017, I went from ~240lbs to 190lbs. During that time I was taking Assassinate and Bloodshred raw. I worked out 5-6 days a week, running for about 30 minutes. I logged all my food in MFP, and had my macros set at 40% Carbs, 30% Fats, and 30% protein. This split is something that I can easily hit without really thinking about it too much. From May 2017 to now, I've been bouncing around 190-195lbs, sometimes up to 200lb depending on how I was eating. I was happy with the progress I had made, and wasn't killing myself too much. I wasn't actively working out either, but I kept logging all of my food.

I'm now at the point where I want to drop more weight. I'm no longer happy with my former progress. I'm back to cardio 5-6 times a week for about 30 minutes. I'm also taking an EC stack 3x a day. My macros are still at 40c/30f/30p. Should I switch to a lower carb macro split? Should I be lifting weights instead? Thanks for reading.

Stats
Height: 5' 11"
Weight: 190lbs this morning
Goal weight: 175lbs

Slimp Shady

Awards
What are your total calories and grams for macros?

tindolos2414

Awards
Thanks for asking!

My current daily calories are 1500, as calculated by mfp with the sedentary option. With 40c/30f/30p, that puts me at 150g C / 50g F / 113g P

Anabolic_Stud

Anabolic_Stud

Awards
Thanks for asking!

My current daily calories are 1500, as calculated by mfp with the sedentary option. With 40c/30f/30p, that puts me at 150g C / 50g F / 113g P
I would up your protein to 180. 50g fat is way to much I would say about 30. And carbs is way to low. I'm cutting for a show and I'm at 115. Carb cycle helps to look into that. I lift 5 times a week with 30min cardio after and Thursday and Sunday cardio ok not for 1 hour

tindolos2414

Awards
Thanks for your input!
I can definitely up the protein and drop the fat. However, doing so means I would have to drop my carbs when eating 1500 calories. But it seems your suggestion was to raise carbs?

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
Stats
Height: 5' 11"
Weight: 190lbs this morning
Goal weight: 175lbs
Thanks for asking!

Personally I feel 1500 kcals at 190 lbs is too low, I personally do not drop below 2000 kcals and I am at 170, I tend to try and eat between x13 to x14 body weight and I would still lose a lb a week.

I would up your protein to 180. 50g fat is way to much I would say about 30. And carbs is way to low. I'm cutting for a show and I'm at 115. Carb cycle helps to look into that. I lift 5 times a week with 30min cardio after and Thursday and Sunday cardio ok not for 1 hour
I agree with increasing Protein however when cutting I go to 1.5g per lb of body weight for satiation purposes but to reduce fats down to 30g is asking for hormonal issues particularly if he insists on eating 1500 kcals a day.

My macros for cutting would be

Protein - 1.5g per lb of body weight as this helps with satiety

Fats - 0.4-0.5g per lb of body weight for hormonal balance

Carbs - to balance daily caloric intake

Anabolic_Stud

Anabolic_Stud

Awards
Thanks for your input!
I can definitely up the protein and drop the fat. However, doing so means I would have to drop my carbs when eating 1500 calories. But it seems your suggestion was to raise carbs?
I'm 160 lbs and very active and I eat less carbs than you are not by much but still. I would raise them yes.

tindolos2414

Awards
Personally I feel 1500 kcals at 190 lbs is too low, I personally do not drop below 2000 kcals and I am at 170, I tend to try and eat between x13 to x14 body weight and I would still lose a lb a week.

I agree with increasing Protein however when cutting I go to 1.5g per lb of body weight for satiation purposes but to reduce fats down to 50g is asking for hormonal issues particularly if he insists on eating 1500 kcals a day.

My macros for cutting would be

Protein - 1.5g per lb of body weight as this helps with satiety

Fats - 0.4-0.5g per lb of body weight for hormonal balance

Carbs - to balance daily caloric intake
Thanks for your insight! I work mostly from my desk in the basement, but I do travel up the stairs 3-4 times a day to fill my water bottle or to use the restroom. I'm also working out 5-6 days a week, running for about 30 minutes. I chose 1500 calories based on the mfp app. You're thinking that 1500 isn't enough calories?

Also, 1.5 x 190 is 285g of protein! Holy moley, I'm struggling to hit my protein goal, I can't imagine somehow getting 285g in daily

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
Nowhere near enough in my opinion, I would not be able to function at that level but your mileage may vary. How much are you losing per week at 1500?

Anabolic_Stud

Anabolic_Stud

Awards
Thanks for your insight! I work mostly from my desk in the basement, but I do travel up the stairs 3-4 times a day to fill my water bottle or to use the restroom. I'm also working out 5-6 days a week, running for about 30 minutes. I chose 1500 calories based on the mfp app. You're thinking that 1500 isn't enough calories?

Also, 1.5 x 190 is 285g of protein! Holy moley, I'm struggling to hit my protein goal, I can't imagine somehow getting 285g in daily
Everyone is different I have 35-40 g of protein each meal 6 times a day. 240g a day.

tindolos2414

Awards
Nowhere near enough in my opinion, I would not be able to function at that level but your mileage may vary. How much are you losing per week at 1500?
Somewhere around 1-2lbs. Nothing crazy

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
You do not need 1.5g but that works for me and satiation, my food preference is from protein sources as I tend to feel bloated from carbs, generally I would say 1 to 1.2g per lb is sufficient.

Slimp Shady

Awards
I chose 1500 calories based on the mfp app. You're thinking that 1500 isn't enough calories?

When cutting you're more likely to lose muscle mass especially if your deficit is too low. The extra protein will help prevent this as well.

If you up your cals and start gaining weight you can always drop them again. Also choosing the sedentary option on mfp isnt that accurate in my opinion. You may have a sedentary job but your not living a sedentary lifestyle if youre working out and doing cardio regularly

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
Just re read your original post again, are you currently lifting weights or just doing cardio?

tindolos2414

Awards
When cutting you're more likely to lose muscle mass especially if your deficit is too low. The extra protein will help prevent this as well.

If you up your cals and start gaining weight you can always drop them again. Also choosing the sedentary option on mfp isnt that accurate in my opinion. You may have a sedentary job but your not living a sedentary lifestyle if youre working out and doing cardio regularly
That's a very good point, thank you!

Just re read your original post again, are you currently lifting weights or just doing cardio?
Just cardio

edsd

Awards
Somewhere around 1-2lbs. Nothing crazy
1500 seems really low but if you are only losing a pound a week at that perhaps you need to try something different. Might want to try intermittent fasting either something like 16/8 or a once a week 24 fast. You could also try to drop carbs completely and try keto for a month and slowly introduce carbs back and see if your body starts to process them more efficiently.