Ketogenic Snack Question

jp21590

jp21590

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Quick Keto question....

At the end of the day I have been averaging around 16 net carbs. Will it be counter productive to indulge in a few pieces of 90% Dark Chocolate prior to bed until I hit my daily goal of 25 Net Carbs? Should I avoid the extra carbs if I've held out all day? Will eating these extra carbs prior to falling asleep slow down the rate at which I'm losing fat or does it not matter as long as I am hitting the proper macro ratios? Any advice would be highly appreciated.

RYUX1

RYUX1

Awards
My opinion would be to try and keep carbs around your pre and post workout meals for optimal results. I'm sure a late night snack would not hurt overall results or kick you out long as you keep track of your daily carb intake

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Quick Keto question....

At the end of the day I have been averaging around 16 net carbs. Will it be counter productive to indulge in a few pieces of 90% Dark Chocolate prior to bed until I hit my daily goal of 25 Net Carbs? Should I avoid the extra carbs if I've held out all day? Will eating these extra carbs prior to falling asleep slow down the rate at which I'm losing fat or does it not matter as long as I am hitting the proper macro ratios? Any advice would be highly appreciated.
You can eat carbs before bed.

My opinion would be to try and keep carbs around your pre and post workout meals for optimal results. I'm sure a late night snack would not hurt overall results or kick you out long as you keep track of your daily carb intake
If one is consuming a lot of carbs daily, then I would suggest pre, intra, or post workout, but with such a little amount, he is fine.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Most ppl can get away with 30-50gm a day if they are training hard and stay in ketosis, I don't think it's a problem. And don't forget, when you count your carbs, say you eat something with 10gm carbs but 5gm fiber, that's only 5 grams of carbs.

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
High % cacao dark chocolate before bed would probably disrupt your sleep due to theobromine and caffeine content. This would hinder progress/recovery/fat loss

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
High % cacao dark chocolate before bed would probably disrupt your sleep due to theobromine and caffeine content. This would hinder progress/recovery/fat loss
Not me, I'm like a damn 4year old, caffeine has reverse effects on me lol, I can drink a pot of coffee and fall asleep but with no caffeine I'm up all night like I'm waiting for santa

jp21590

jp21590

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Thank you for pointing this out. Funny you mention it, I've been wondering why I have woken up in the middle of the night the past few nights. Guess I'll have to indulge earlier in the evening.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Very Good analysis Thor 70. Yes it would be wise to keep any snack with caffeine or any stimulates earlier in the day for most people that keep stimulates lower to moderate. I know what people are talking about though, Ive taken caffiene and gone to sleep before, esp when I carbohydrates are low, and, or doing a lot of cardio. Body just gets tired.