Help with ketogenic diet.

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. I prefer it this way, 1.5gm protein per lb of bodyweight, carbs at 30gm or less and the reminder of my maintenance calories from fat. Works extremely well for me when recomp is my goal

2. Yo guys, i just had my first carb up since going on keto for 2 weeks and i really am suffering from this flat look in my muscles and pumps are weak as **** sometimes. Do u think i would be better off just going on 50/30/20 protein/carbs/fat ratio for keeping muscle fullness but also dosing my carbs at the exact amount i need just for recovery,glycogen and energy say 130-150g a day?
    At the same deficit as on keto it wouldnt make much of a difference except a bit of water weight right?

FYI im also using some help if u know what i mean so i could use the carbs(nutrient partitioning is one of the stuff my help is really good at), just thought this would be extremely useful for u guys to know.
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by JoeStethics View Post
    Yo guys, i just had my first carb up since going on keto for 2 weeks and i really am suffering from this flat look in my muscles and pumps are weak as **** sometimes. Do u think i would be better off just going on 50/30/20 protein/carbs/fat ratio for keeping muscle fullness but also dosing my carbs at the exact amount i need just for recovery,glycogen and energy say 130-150g a day?
    At the same deficit as on keto it wouldnt make much of a difference except a bit of water weight right?

FYI im also using some help if u know what i mean so i could use the carbs(nutrient partitioning is one of the stuff my help is really good at), just thought this would be extremely useful for u guys to know.
    Depends on your goals. How much bf do u have. If bf is on the higher side it's hard to get a good pump. U can try carb cycling, or keto style with a refeed 1x per week. Or just stay balanced with lower calories. It's something you gotta figure out how it works best for you

4. By help do you mean just juice or insulin too.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Smont View Post
    By help do you mean just juice or insulin too.
    Just juice.
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by Smont View Post
    Depends on your goals. How much bf do u have. If bf is on the higher side it's hard to get a good pump. U can try carb cycling, or keto style with a refeed 1x per week. Or just stay balanced with lower calories. It's something you gotta figure out how it works best for you
    The thing is my waist did begin to get tighter and my face too, but my arms compared to before have deflated as if, the glycogen depletion made me look flat as hell especially in my arms, so i thought since i have already dropped around 2 kg of water and the rest would be fat, i realized there isnt that much of a difference if i were to continue on a normal caloric deficit and gained a bit of that water back, because the flat look and especially my arms is killing me.

Did u understand what i mean?

Also i wouldnt complain about normal fat loss or weight loss while cutting and getting kinda smaller over time, but the glycogen depletion is what was too much for me.
    Might make a new thread about my new diet, ill post the link later on and tell me what u think.

7. New cutting diet, what do you think?

All advice and help is appreciated^

8. Quote Originally Posted by JoeStethics View Post
    Yo guys, i just had my first carb up since going on keto for 2 weeks and i really am suffering from this flat look in my muscles and pumps are weak as **** sometimes. Do u think i would be better off just going on 50/30/20 protein/carbs/fat ratio for keeping muscle fullness but also dosing my carbs at the exact amount i need just for recovery,glycogen and energy say 130-150g a day?

It's not the carbs, it is the sodium and electrolytes in general that you are lacking.

9. Quote Originally Posted by DieselNY View Post
    It's not the carbs, it is the sodium and electrolytes in general that you are lacking.
    This. High fat, low carb is diuretic. Gotta up those electrolytes.

10. Quote Originally Posted by DieselNY View Post
    U really think i can keep my muscle fullness(not all just the glycogen pump with carbs level or maybe less) if i up my sodium and supplement with magnesium and potassium?

Could give it another try because my workouts didnt really suffer that much, but what about the diet i posted above, u think i can get same results as it is a big deficit too?

11. Quote Originally Posted by JoeStethics View Post
    U really think i can keep my muscle fullness(not all just the glycogen pump with carbs level or maybe less) if i up my sodium and supplement with magnesium and potassium?

Could give it another try because my workouts didnt really suffer that much, but what about the diet i posted above, u think i can get same results as it is a big deficit too?
    You shouldn't be doing keto without really monitoring your electrolyte intake. It can be crucial not only to your health but also the success on the diet!
    Current Workout Log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/296714-mr-supps-keto.html

12. Quote Originally Posted by Wimsicle View Post
    You shouldn't be doing keto without really monitoring your electrolyte intake. It can be crucial not only to your health but also the success on the diet!
    If i do monitor my electrolyte intake will it help with muscle flatness?

Thats what i wanna know i had sodium kinda in check but not magnesium and potassium.

13. Quote Originally Posted by JoeStethics View Post
    If i do monitor my electrolyte intake will it help with muscle flatness?

Thats what i wanna know i had sodium kinda in check but not magnesium and potassium.
    Sodium will help most but all should be kept in check.

5-7g sodium, 1g potassium, 400mg mag a day

Pre load 2g sodium with your pre workout and see how that does for muscle fullness
    Current Workout Log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/296714-mr-supps-keto.html

14. New to ketosis..learning a lot with this thread..
    Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals Representative
    Use Code COLEMAN30 to save 30% on ALL HiTech Pharma Co.:
    APS Nutrition, ALR Industries, Formutech, LG Sciences, IForce Nutrition

15. Guys i think im just gonna leave the keto lifestyle behind, i just hate the flatness and lack of pump on it. As a diet it was very easy and comfortable as i stayed full the whole time(never hungry i would look at the time and realize i need to eat more) and its results in terms of fat and water loss were amazing but as i said the lack of muscle fullness and lack of pump was killing it for me

16. Quote Originally Posted by JoeStethics View Post
    Guys i think im just gonna leave the keto lifestyle behind, i just hate the flatness and lack of pump on it. As a diet it was very easy and comfortable as i stayed full the whole time(never hungry i would look at the time and realize i need to eat more) and its results in terms of fat and water loss were amazing but as i said the lack of muscle fullness and lack of pump was killing it for me
    You could try TKD. Add 10-15g dextrose to your pre workout.
    Current Workout Log:

17. Quote Originally Posted by Wimsicle View Post
    You could try TKD. Add 10-15g dextrose to your pre workout.
    Im currently carb cycling eating carbs on workout days and on rest days i try to stay around a little less than 50-60g of carbs but with high fat, im doing fasted cardio on most rest days thats why i didnt completely eliminate the carbs, but no starchy carbs on rest day though, and even on workout days my carb intake never goes over 150g

18. Wimsicle and DieselNY, I heard Dr. Dominic D'Agostino say in a podcast that muscle glycogen actually comes back eventually while on a ketogenic diet. Have you seen this to be true and how long did that take?

19. I NEVER have issues with pumps etc even when not upping my sodium. But flatness and lack of pump is nothing more than cosmetic and will not stop you from hitting your goals. It is part of the process, you may just have to embrace the suck until you get to the low bodyfat you want then start upping carbs.

Also many guys do a TKD and like it, they actually combine 10-15gms Dexrtrose+MCT's and various pump products - AAKG, Citruline, BetaAlanine, etc etc.
    @JoeStethics it looks to me you really arent keto long enough or not fat adapted if you keep dabbling with 50-60gms of carbs and then you never go over 150gms on workout days? Hate to tell you that is just a low/moderate carb diet, that is not keto at all.

20. Quote Originally Posted by DieselNY View Post
    I NEVER have issues with pumps etc even when not upping my sodium. But flatness and lack of pump is nothing more than cosmetic and will not stop you from hitting your goals. It is part of the process, you may just have to embrace the suck until you get to the low bodyfat you want then start upping carbs.

Also many guys do a TKD and like it, they actually combine 10-15gms Dexrtrose+MCT's and various pump products - AAKG, Citruline, BetaAlanine, etc etc.
    @JoeStethics it looks to me you really arent keto long enough or not fat adapted if you keep dabbling with 50-60gms of carbs and then you never go over 150gms on workout days? Hate to tell you that is just a low/moderate carb diet, that is not keto at all.
    Yeah thats not keto, i told u guys im carb cycling, back on keto i was very strict with carbs definitely less than 30g a day. The 150g on workout days and 50-60g rest is what im doing now. I was thinking because i read that keto does not have any metabolic advantage over any other diet at the same deficit(more water loss tho) and i started to think if it is worth it too look flat and depleted while dieting to he desired body fat or just staying full while getting down even if its takes a bit longer(which shouldnt since there shouldnt be a metabolic advantage) rigth?

21. Quote Originally Posted by JoeStethics View Post
    Yeah thats not keto, i told u guys im carb cycling, back on keto i was very strict with carbs definitely less than 30g a day. The 150g on workout days and 50-60g rest is what im doing now. I was thinking because i read that keto does not have any metabolic advantage over any other diet at the same deficit(more water loss tho) and i started to think if it is worth it too look flat and depleted while dieting to he desired body fat or just staying full while getting down even if its takes a bit longer(which shouldnt since there shouldnt be a metabolic advantage) rigth?
    I've been doing keto for decades because I like the way it makes me feel, is very easy to adhere too which is basically the advantage you get. You are right there's no metabolic advantage but the advantage seems to be adherence in all the studies they have done on comparing different diets. I also like constant energy and no crashing it's just a personal preference. Of course my wild carb ups are fun too.

22. Quote Originally Posted by DieselNY View Post
    I've been doing keto for decades because I like the way it makes me feel, is very easy to adhere too which is basically the advantage you get. You are right there's no metabolic advantage but the advantage seems to be adherence in all the studies they have done on comparing different diets. I also like constant energy and no crashing it's just a personal preference. Of course my wild carb ups are fun too.
    Yeah, i swear if it werent for bodybuilding i would stay on keto the whole time, i have a friend of mine who was trying to lose weight but he just didnt have strong will power, i recommended keto for him and he has lost 3kg on his first week and says he is never going back(not a lifter). The only thing was the flat and depleted muscles, my workouts werent that bad actually and it was much easier to adhere to and was almost always full(dont know why people call this a hard diet).
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. help with ketogenic and anabolic diet please
    By cessna in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 08-13-2008, 09:23 PM
  2. help with first diet plan....
    By bandit9308 in forum Bulking
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11-24-2006, 03:47 PM
  3. Needing someone's help with a diet prob....
    By good_guye28 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-11-2005, 02:15 PM
  4. Any Help with my diet?
    By funkyguru in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-09-2005, 05:51 PM
  5. Need help with cutting diet
    By USOC in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-09-2004, 07:53 PM