Gained weight in deficit

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Gained weight in deficit

I've been cutting since march. By the end of may I had went from 247 to 227 @ 6-7 %bf. My goal was to maintain that all summer but I got a little sloppy and would cheat on the weekends then have to go in a deficit all week to erase the damage. I always would return to 226-227 by the end of the week though so I figured no harm done. Well I got tired of starving myself all week just to cheat on the weekends and started controlling it more. Lately I have been eating a little over maintenance on Saturday and Sunday then just returning to a minor deficit during the week. (4000 cal/day weekends, 2600-3000 cal during the week; maintenance is around 3600 cal). I lift 6 days a week pretty intense and do cardio in the am on the weekends. My concern is that last week my weight never went back down and still hasn't. Im staying at 231 and am confused as to wtf happened.. I don't think it's fat gain unless my metabolism seriously tanked. Anyone else ever get this or know why this could happen?

2. The easy answer is that you are not in a deficit. I eat about 1800 calories a day, train super heavy 5 days a week and still gain weight. 4000 calories is like 2.5 days for me. I weigh 205 and I'm 5'8 with pretty solid muscle mass.
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by Biggoron86 View Post
    The easy answer is that you are not in a deficit. I eat about 1800 calories a day, train super heavy 5 days a week and still gain weight. 4000 calories is like 2.5 days for me. I weigh 205 and I'm 5'8 with pretty solid muscle mass.
    I'm 6'5 226-230 lbs and currently at like 7-8 %bf. When I was bulking I was eating 4100 calories a day and only gained .5-1 lb a week. I'm pretty sure 3500 calories is a good tdee for me.

4. Subbed. Same thing happened to me. I think that at 6-7%bf if your body gets used to a calorie consumption routine it'll start being 'smart' and manipulate your nutrient partitioning to put on some fat. Everyone's precise comfort zone's different but the human body is wired to gravitate towards having a little more fat than 6-7%.
    Would love to hear an a solution

5. Quote Originally Posted by u_e_s_i View Post
    Subbed. Same thing happened to me. I think that at 6-7%bf if your body gets used to a calorie consumption routine it'll start being 'smart' and manipulate your nutrient partitioning to put on some fat. Everyone's precise comfort zone's different but the human body is wired to gravitate towards having a little more fat than 6-7%.
    Would love to hear an a solution
    That could make sense but do you really think it would result in a 4-5 lb gain? I mean I may have been a little off in my cheatday calculations but I don't think by that much.
    •   

6. the simple answer is: its only been a week... sometimes your weight can fluctuate up, down, or not at all for somewhat extended periods of time (even up to a few weeks) inexplicably... you very well may drop it all in a day randomly (termed a "whoosh")... if its still the same after 14-18 days, then change something.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Product Rep - db77 @ seriousnutritionsolutions.com

7. Quote Originally Posted by booneman77 View Post
    the simple answer is: its only been a week... sometimes your weight can fluctuate up, down, or not at all for somewhat extended periods of time (even up to a few weeks) inexplicably... you very well may drop it all in a day randomly (termed a "whoosh")... if its still the same after 14-18 days, then change something.
    You think it could also be from reaching a point where my body just is too taxed? I train 6 days a week and usually do cardio on my off day. Haven't taken any time off in several months. Maybe that and the diet just caused too much stress?

8. Quote Originally Posted by Biggoron86 View Post
    The easy answer is that you are not in a deficit. I eat about 1800 calories a day, train super heavy 5 days a week and still gain weight. 4000 calories is like 2.5 days for me. I weigh 205 and I'm 5'8 with pretty solid muscle mass.
    Something wrong IMO if at 205 you gain weight at 1800, I am sitting at 170 and lost 0.7lb this week at ~2700 kcals

9. Quote Originally Posted by mickc1965 View Post
    Something wrong IMO if at 205 you gain weight at 1800, I am sitting at 170 and lost 0.7lb this week at ~2700 kcals
    Yeah not sure why, maybe it's the 1-ad cycle.

10. Quote Originally Posted by mickc1965 View Post
    What are your training schedule and macros?

11. Quote Originally Posted by mickc1965 View Post
    Also, what's your usual schedule and meal timing?

12. @nduronio what are your macros?

13. Quote Originally Posted by u_e_s_i View Post
    I lift Monday to Friday alternating push pull and legs. I focus on heavy lifts for deadlifts, bench and squat. I typically intermittent fast and have my first calorie intake of an oatmeal bar before the gym around noon. After gym I have a protein shake with 2tbs of peanut butter. Then for dinner I typically have korean food, like pork belly with kimchi. And that's it. All in all its under 2000 calories the majority of days. I don't follow macros I just try to eat sensibly with protein Intake and moderate carbs and fat. The only place I have noticible fat is the love handle and gut area. I have a decent amount of muscle from being consistent and lifting heavy over the years. It's hard to do cardio like I used to when younger since tearing my acl 7 years ago. I'm taking 1-ad and lipodrene in a cycle currently.
  14. Gained weight in deficit

Quote Originally Posted by u_e_s_i View Post
    Train 6 (sometimes 7) days a week, twice a day ~20-30 minutes per workout, each body part 3x per week. Macro target i am for protein at 1.5g per lb so aim for ~250, fats ~100 and carbs ~200g give or take few grams.

15. Quote Originally Posted by u_e_s_i View Post
    @nduronio what are your macros?
    300g pro, 285g carbs, 70g fat.. this has been for the last 2 weeks. Carbs were around 200-230 before when I was still binging on the weekends and had to drastically cut during the week.
  16. Gained weight in deficit

Quote Originally Posted by mickc1965 View Post
    Also, what's your usual schedule and meal timing?
    Workout schedule is 6 (maybe 7) days per week twice a day (20-30 minutes per workout) each body part 3x per week - train at 6am and 6:15pm at weekends possibly a bit later in the morning and earlier in the afternoon depending on what I have planned. Overall I do 18 sets (edit - calves, traps, biceps and triceps at 9) per week of each body part.

Meal timing is 16:8 IF, generally eat at 12pm, 2pm, 4pm, 7pm and 8pm

17. Quote Originally Posted by nduronio View Post
    I'm 6'5 226-230 lbs and currently at like 7-8 %bf. When I was bulking I was eating 4100 calories a day and only gained .5-1 lb a week. I'm pretty sure 3500 calories is a good tdee for me.
    This would all depend on your activity and the changes in your body. I would look to reduce it further. For me I consume 1600 calories to cut and that's low for many people. Start by cutting another 500 out and see how that works.
    Mind and Muscle Code AM10 WWW.mindandmuscle.com
    Muscle Research Code AM10 www.mrsupps.com

18. maybe deload a week then see how you go?

19. Quote Originally Posted by mickc1965 View Post
    This isn't true at all. Everyone's body is different. I'm 5'10", around 185-190 and gain at anything above 1900 and cut at 1700 or less always.

20. OP my suggestion is just ride things out for a couple weeks. Don't worry about it unless it continues to go up.

21. Quote Originally Posted by booneman77 View Post
    OP my suggestion is just ride things out for a couple weeks. Don't worry about it unless it continues to go up.
    Yea I'm hoping it's just water and it whooshes away soon. Kinda lost some vascularity as well so most likely water. Still don't know why I'm holding it but oh well.

22. Quote Originally Posted by nduronio View Post
    Yea I'm hoping it's just water and it whooshes away soon. Kinda lost some vascularity as well so most likely water. Still don't know why I'm holding it but oh well.
    Because nature hates/tortures all of us with vanity issues haha

23. Quote Originally Posted by booneman77 View Post
    Because nature hates/tortures all of us with vanity issues haha
    Haha most likely the case

24. Well I'm trying to not worry about this and just hope it goes away but this morning my weight is still unchanged at 231. I took a couple pics for future reference.
    Name:  IMG_0320.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  378.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_0322.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  427.2 KB

I can notice less separation between abs, obliques and side cuts aren't as defined and I'm less vascular then I was a couple weeks ago. Sorry no photos to compare to. Also maybe worth mentioning that I usually have 2-3 good sized craps a day but lately its barely been one mediocre crap a day. Also noticeably more tired when I wake up and not as good of a pump while working out... Do these signs maybe point towards overreaching?

25. Dude. Stop weighing yourself every day and worrying. The stress alone is probably what's causing all this. Literally every side you listed can be from stress.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Best protein supplement to gain weight in muscle?
    By msully in forum Supplements
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 06-24-2012, 11:18 PM
  2. eating at a deficit, gaining weight?
    By StangBanger in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-16-2011, 08:02 PM
  3. Gaining weight, but staying in shape?
    By someguy1984 in forum Bulking
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-11-2009, 05:54 PM
  4. Replies: 40
    Last Post: 08-19-2005, 11:35 PM
  5. gained weight in the wrong places.....help me
    By iwinulose2980 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-13-2004, 08:17 PM