Guys, I am not losing weight!

Industrial

Industrial

Awards
Hey everyone. So, here's my problem...I am not losing any weight! Scratch that, I have lost 4 lbs and now it is not budging. I am 5'10", 300 lbs. I carry the weight well, i'm not like, hugely obese, but my body fat is pretty high.

so, anyway, i eat very high protein and when counting calories, i am in a deficit. I work out with heavy weights and do some cardio sometimes. tonight i will be doing cardio, last night i trained arms.

i take tri andro, beverly ump protein, and my preworkout is usually transparent labs bulk, or sometimes mesomorph or sp250. i take beverly multi (super pak) and vitamin d (i'm deficient)

what am i doing wrong? am i just not being patient enough? my macros are around 60% protein, 30% fat, 10% carbs. I usually eat my carbs right before the workout.

whats going on...is it the andro stack im taking? the weight aint budging.

thanks bros

Hellix2

Awards
Ignore your weight for now, man. You're working out, and your weight is likely just converting from fat to muscle. You need to be patient, and just watch. Get some good before photos, and compare them to your current body composition every few weeks.
Weight is a standard that is far too often given a much higher level of importance than it actually warrants.

Mowglisml

Mowglisml

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
^ this. Monitor your visual changes. Weight will fluctuate. Last weekend i went up to 192 lbs.. still fit into my slacks.. take it back half a year ago i was around 190ish and my slacks felt like bursting from the waist.

Juicedeez utz

Juicedeez utz

Awards
  • Established
Right DO NOT take this the wrong way, I am not being a dick. You are 5'10 300lbs, you are really over weight, hold it well or not. Anabolics will not be a magic bullet for weight loss. Have you had your health markers checked? Possible Elevated BP, potential cholesterol problems etc could be very complicated for someone of your weight! You need to look at your diet, you could loose 100lbs in a year with just diet and cardio alone. What are your calories at? If you're not losing weight, drop you kcals and up your cardio. 40 mins LISS 3-4 times a week with your weight training. Drink a gallon of water a day. If you're not sporting a lot of muscle, 60% protein isn't necessary, it's not necessary atall 1-2g/lbm is all that's needed, you could drop it and add more carbs/healthy fats. What's your typical daily food intake?

Industrial

Industrial

Awards
Right DO NOT take this the wrong way, I am not being a dick. You are 5'10 300lbs, you are really over weight, hold it well or not. Anabolics will not be a magic bullet for weight loss. Have you had your health markers checked? Possible Elevated BP, potential cholesterol problems etc could be very complicated for someone of your weight! You need to look at your diet, you could loose 100lbs in a year with just diet and cardio alone. What are your calories at? If you're not losing weight, drop you kcals and up your cardio. 40 mins LISS 3-4 times a week with your weight training. Drink a gallon of water a day. If you're not sporting a lot of muscle, 60% protein isn't necessary, it's not necessary atall 1-2g/lbm is all that's needed, you could drop it and add more carbs/healthy fats. What's your typical daily food intake?
Hey bro, thanks for your feedback, i dont think you're bein a dick, it's all good.

well for instance, today i had:

morning:

protein shake (20g protein)

mid morning snack:

3 eggs scrambled with onions

lunch:

protein bar (pure protein brand) (i usually have something else, but today i was in a time crunch)

before workout:

tuna with mayo on 2 slices of bread

after workout

protein shake

dinner:

turkey burger is on the menu

i drink about 3 liters of water a day, so i will up it more. i used to be big into lifting, but then I got married and got fat. now i am fed up with being a fatty, so i want to cut big time. i have recently gotten a full physical and blood work, and all looks well. i know anabolics aren't a magic bullet, i just know they help. plus they help me feel great!

i forgot to mention, im taking hydroxyelite by hi tech also. helps with keeping my appetite at bay and great energy

Thanks again

Industrial

Industrial

Awards
Does all that look good? Again, I think I'm doing everything I'm supposed to, but for some reason the scale isn't budging.

Maybe I DO need more cardio. I feel like my diet is on point though.

Hellix2

Awards
Hey bro, thanks for your feedback, i dont think you're bein a dick, it's all good.

morning:

mid morning snack:

lunch:

protein bar (pure protein brand) (i usually have something else, but today i was in a time crunch)

before workout:

after workout

protein shake

dinner:

i drink about 3 liters of water a day, so i will up it more. i used to be big into lifting, but then I got married and got fat. now i am fed up with being a fatty, so i want to cut big time. i have recently gotten a full physical and blood work, and all looks well. i know anabolics aren't a magic bullet, i just know they help. plus they help me feel great!

i forgot to mention, im taking hydroxyelite by hi tech also. helps with keeping my appetite at bay and great energy

Thanks again
How many calories are you taking in, throughout the day? Your diet can be on point as far as content is concerned, but not on point as far as volume is concerned. You very well could be taking in too little, which has the potential to do all kinds of wacky stuff to your body, such as never losing weight.
I'm going to suggest one thing to you, though. Do some research on the Keto diet. After doing some research, decide if that might be a valid option for you. I personally just started it for cutting, and I have a few friends that have had incredible results on it. Just a thought.

Juicedeez utz

Juicedeez utz

Awards
  • Established
To be honest it looks like you're way under eating, which could stall weight loss but not that quickly..... have you done a TDEE? What sort of lifting programme you on? How much cardio do you ACTUALLY do?

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established

morning:

mid morning snack:

lunch:

before workout:

after workout

protein shake

dinner:

Thanks again
You are eating nowhere enough for a 300lb person, at a guess you are eating between 1500 and 1800 kcal a per day and your body is probably in starvation mode. I rarely drop below 2200 kcals even when my weight is low 160s

I would up your calories to reset metabolism and see what happens from there

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
To be honest it looks like you're way under eating, which could stall weight loss but not that quickly..... have you done a TDEE? What sort of lifting programme you on? How much cardio do you ACTUALLY do?
I was thinking the same as I read through your post. Are you tracking calories and macros?

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You need to find an online macro and caloric intake calculator. Then you can figure out your macros for you personally and for your goals of what you need to take in each day. That will be the best place to start in terms of your diet.

Industrial

Industrial

Awards
i haven't done a tdee, but i will today. i lift a body part each day. monday, chest. tuesday, back. wed, shoulders. etc.

cardio, i do about every other day after my bodypart workout. last night i did 30 minutes on the elliptical and the weight is still not budging.

i think you're right. i might be UNDEReating. i thought the weight would come off quicker if i didnt eat that much!

Hellix2

Awards
here is my diary for yesterday.

View attachment 151188
Yea man, your calories are definitely WAY too low...
If you don't put enough food in your guts, your body thinks it is starving and will hold on to everything it can, doling out the nutrients in piecemeal fashion. A very common misconception and mistake is that you must be afraid to eat, if you're trying to lose weight. That is very very untrue. Your body needs fresh nutrients in order to effectively function the way it's designed. You wouldn't put bad gas in a Ferrari just to save money on fuel, because that would only cause problems and you would end up broke, repairing stuff. A caloric deficit is good, but not an extreme deficit.
First of all, you are drinking too many protein shakes. You need real foods in your diet, and less pre-processed proteins. Protein shakes before and after a workout are great, and maybe to help supplement a meal now and then as well, but they shouldn't be used as your only source of nutrients, so frequently.
You are demonstrating that you want to make this work, and that you are capable of following a plan, but you haven't effectively planned yet. I would hate to see you give up, simply because you missed one step. Do some research on different weight loss programs, make a decision on the program that meets your goals, do more research and thoroughly understand it. Do some grocery shopping that fits your program, then nail the **** out of your goals.
Here is the thing, you can ask the folks in here all day long but we aren't you, and can only give generic advice. You have to gain some understanding of the basic concepts, and build your own knowledge base.
I said it once already, and I'll suggest it once more. When you are doing your research, make sure you look into the Keto diet.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Any chance there's a few things that you eat that you're maybe not adding in?

Industrial

Industrial

Awards
Any chance there's a few things that you eat that you're maybe not adding in?
Nope, that's it. I will do better today. I am going to be tracking my calories from here on out.

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
If you don't put enough food in your guts, your body thinks it is starving and will hold on to everything it can, doling out the nutrients in piecemeal fashion. A very common misconception and mistake is that you must be afraid to eat, if you're trying to lose weight. That is very very untrue. Your body needs fresh nutrients in order to effectively function the way it's designed. You wouldn't put bad gas in a Ferrari just to save money on fuel, because that would only cause problems and you would end up broke, repairing stuff. A caloric deficit is good, but not an extreme deficit.
First of all, you are drinking too many protein shakes. You need real foods in your diet, and less pre-processed proteins. Protein shakes before and after a workout are great, and maybe to help supplement a meal now and then as well, but they shouldn't be used as your only source of nutrients, so frequently.
You are demonstrating that you want to make this work, and that you are capable of following a plan, but you haven't effectively planned yet. I would hate to see you give up, simply because you missed one step. Do some research on different weight loss programs, make a decision on the program that meets your goals, do more research and thoroughly understand it. Do some grocery shopping that fits your program, then nail the **** out of your goals.
Here is the thing, you can ask the folks in here all day long but we aren't you, and can only give generic advice. You have to gain some understanding of the basic concepts, and build your own knowledge base.
I said it once already, and I'll suggest it once more. When you are doing your research, make sure you look into the Keto diet.
I agree

Juicedeez utz

Juicedeez utz

Awards
  • Established
^this^ Keto isn't for everyone though and also there is no "best diet" for losing weight, calories in calories out unless you're starving yourself, do a TDEE go 300-500 under that and up your cardio 30-40 mins and go from their. Plan in a cheat meal each weak to help reset your lepton levels etc. Try eating whole foods rich in nutrients: oats, 0% Greek yoghurt, green veg, eggs (you've already got that down haha) fatty fish, have some read meat sometimes. Don't limit or starve yourself.

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
Plan in a cheat meal each weak to help reset your lepton levels
At 300lbs and high body fat would you need to reset leptin levels? I thought cheat meals only really benefited those already under 10% that needed to reset leptin.

Juicedeez utz

Juicedeez utz

Awards
  • Established
At 300lbs and high body fat would you need to reset leptin levels? I thought cheat meals only really benefited those already under 10% that needed to reset leptin.
You're right but a cheat meal also keeps you mentally their, gives you something to look forward to once a week, keeps you on a better track IME

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Industrial, Everyone that's giving you advice is right. But you need to chose the right diet and exercise that You're Comfortable with,that's Effective,that fit your overall Genetics, and you lifestyle..

Industrial

Industrial

Awards
Well, here is today's diary. Wow. I didn't know I was overeating on carbs like that. I really thought I was doing less than 30 a day! But they are hidden in alot of stuff.

So, my calories were ok today, but my carbs were much much higher than I thought. Tomorrow is a new day and I will try harder.

Thanks again for all you guys' help!

Today.PNG

Wimsicle

Wimsicle

Awards
  • Established
Well, here is today's diary. Wow. I didn't know I was overeating on carbs like that. I really thought I was doing less than 30 a day! But they are hidden in alot of stuff.

So, my calories were ok today, but my carbs were much much higher than I thought. Tomorrow is a new day and I will try harder.

Thanks again for all you guys' help!

View attachment 151209
If you intend on keeping carbs low, and continue consuming fruit, I'd recommend sticking to berries. They still add up quick in carbs, but nothing like bananas, pineapple, etc.

I personally when doing keto or low carb days do not eat fruit. I'd rather spend my carbs on nice fibrous greens! 100g of broccoli has more potassium than 100g of banana anyways, if I recall correctly. I use this as an example because everyone always tells me 'but I need nutrients from fruit!'

If you Google 'mfp net carb plugin' you will find instructions (tampermonkey / github link). It's neat plugin that will automatically subtract fiber from total carbs in mfp, giving you your 'net carbs' of the day.. Ones truly digested.

Goodluck with your journey mate. Feel free to keep asking questions! I'd seriously give ketosis a look. And not the stupid high fat low protein BS that people are spewing. That's medical ketosis.

Look up ketogains methodology. Protein is a goal, carbs are a limit, and fat is a lever. Why supplement a ton of fat when we have our own body fat to use ;)

Regardless what diet you choose though, just keep watching those calories! Sticking to whole foods is your best bet.

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Nope, that's it. I will do better today. I am going to be tracking my calories from here on out.
Excellent! Keep adding food until you see the weight go up, then stop adding food and see what your weight does

Industrial

Industrial

Awards
I am now 297 bros. Lost 3 lbs. Taking forever, but it looks like it is working. :D

nubioso

nubioso

Awards
  • Established
I'm glad someone wound up saying it and a few people agreed. When you stop losing weight and you're "in a deficit" chances are you've shorted yourself WAY too much which it sounds like you did.

The problem with being fat and trying to lose weight is that you think "Food made me fat!" No....being lazy and eating the WRONG food made you fat. I know this because I had been fat my entire life up until 4 years ago.

All of a sudden I stopped losing weight and I was eating 1800 calories already. Tried going down to 1500...nothing.....bumped it up to 2250, and voila, started dropping again.

Also, just to echo what's already been said again, if keto works FOR YOU, then do it....otherwise, don't even bother with it dude. Carbs are not the enemy. You must burn more calories than you eat, that's it. Don't complicate it more than that. Guarantee you, you'd still lose weight doing 40% Protein, 35-40% carbs and 20-25% fats. Complex carbs, HEALTHY fats, Lean proteins.

A good place to find your calories without going to an online calculator is take your goal weight and multiply by 10. You want to be 250lbs? Then try 2500 calories. Don't just JUMP up there though. Increase 200 cals per week from where you're currently at.

Check out a website called "Eat to Perform" If you're building muscle, you are burning fat. Lift them heavy ass weights and make the fat cry.

Industrial

Industrial

Awards
Guys I am 295 now! I've lost 5 lbs! Still going....taking forever, but I'm still gonna keep going. It's not a race. It's not a race. It's not a race...(continues chanting)

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
Best of luck to you. You're 5 lbs in the right direction! Stay motivated!

Chados

Chados

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ignore your weight for now, man. You're working out, and your weight is likely just converting from fat to muscle. You need to be patient, and just watch. Get some good before photos, and compare them to your current body composition every few weeks.
Weight is a standard that is far too often given a much higher level of importance than it actually warrants.

Fat doesn't convert to muscles but yeah if you're 300lbs there might be a lot to loose and it takes time.

Chados

Chados

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Guys I am 295 now! I've lost 5 lbs! Still going....taking forever, but I'm still gonna keep going. It's not a race. It's not a race. It's not a race...(continues chanting)
I have a friend at your weight and he complains about only loosing 20 pounds in 3 months. But there are 12 months during a year. You're a big guy and a little might seem very little on you but it will be worth it when you start to see results. Scale goes up and down from water weight so weigh yourself once a month instead of once a week. Keep It up

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Definitely not and to be honest in his situation there should be ABSOLUTELY ZERO CHEAT MEALS! None, not a damn one! A planned refeed of exactly a certain amount of carbs, protein and fats yes. However an uncontrolled cheat meal with just mess with him. Especially early on in the diet. You are right though leptin is stored in fat cells so having a lot of fat it will take much longer for him to need a leptin increase. If you are going to plan a FREE MEAL, make it one meal and make sure it is planned. The difference between a cheat meal and a planned free meal is the cheat meal takes away from the nutrition plan, and the planned free meal is designed into the nutrition plan at specific times.
You're right but a cheat meal also keeps you mentally their, gives you something to look forward to once a week, keeps you on a better track IME
For some it does and others it backfires and brings on cravings that had gone away during the diet. In many ways that situation has to do with hormonal response to foods and is different for everyone. In the beginning of a diet is the wrong time to put someone in a postion where that is a likely scenario. YOu have to get a little better at discipline before really taking advantage of refeeds, especially instinctive ones.

I was also going to suggest that you start your diet around 2500 cals, there is no reason to start out any lower. Where will you cut calories from if you start at the bottom? I am SURE that you were eating more then 2500 cals a day before you started dieting. You will still be in a deficit there.

Since your bodyfat is higher then you are going to want to keep your protein a bit lower, like .8g per pound of LBM, or just go with 1g per lb of your goal weight. No need for all of that excess protein, especially when it can be broken down for energy. It is better to replace that with an energy source like fats or carbs. That way you are teaching the body to use them for fuel. In this case I would keep fats up quite a bit.

You might entertain something along these lines. Protein 225, Fats 145, Carbs 75 and take in 50g of those carbs during or directly after your workout. In a couple weeks when you want more carbs in your life then every 3-4 days change the macros to 225p, 70f, and 240 carbs, getting most of your carbs during your pre, intra and post workout period. That way you are injecting some carbs in to keep leptin levels from dropping at all, but not increasing the caloric intake. Plus it give you planned carbs twice a week so you can always plan a nice meal within those macros for those days.

Industrial

Industrial

Awards
I have a friend at your weight and he complains about only loosing 20 pounds in 3 months. But there are 12 months during a year. You're a big guy and a little might seem very little on you but it will be worth it when you start to see results. Scale goes up and down from water weight so weigh yourself once a month instead of once a week. Keep It up
Thanks man :)

Tinman1

Awards
Carbs are sneaky , fruit juice , fruit, protein bars. Add up quick and retain water. I eat no fruit
But that's me

I'm pretty much straight keto year round and stay around 2000 cal a day at 210lbs

All I eat is meat and fibrous veggies and still struggle to stay under 40g carbs . Wheres the chicken breast , steak , ground turkey, hamburger whole food
The hell with protein bars and sandwiches

You shouldn't cheat at all till your down 10-15lbs

Chados

Chados

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks man :)
No problem buddy. I disagree that you can't eat cheatmeals and I agree you shouldn't start with that first week. Preferably you shouldn't at all but staying at like 2000/2500 kcal at your weight with perhaps cardio will make it impossible to keep weight even if you're eating Ice cream. There are good ways and then there at perfect ways, you find your way but always remember to check calories first and foremost. I'm under 200 pounds and I'm not doing cardio staying at 3000 kcal and I'm standing still. So for you to go under that with cardio you'll be fine.

Working out should be enjoyable too. I like to bake or make pancakes with protein as a snack. If you make them perfect they actually taste like the real deal

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
No problem buddy. I disagree that you can't eat cheatmeals and I agree you shouldn't start with that first week. Preferably you shouldn't at all but staying at like 2000/2500 kcal at your weight with perhaps cardio will make it impossible to keep weight even if you're eating Ice cream. There are good ways and then there at perfect ways, you find your way but always remember to check calories first and foremost. I'm under 200 pounds and I'm not doing cardio staying at 3000 kcal and I'm standing still. So for you to go under that with cardio you'll be fine.

Working out should be enjoyable too. I like to bake or make pancakes with protein as a snack. If you make them perfect they actually taste like the real deal
Nice, I agree with everything but the cheat meals.

Curious, How much weight did you have to lose to get under 200lbs, and how long did it take you to find your maintenance calories that are keeping you from regaining the weight without any cardio?

If referring to me saying there should be Zero cheat meals, you may be mistaking a planned free meal, or refeed for a cheat meal. Cheat meals are just that, cheating yourself and the nutrition plan. A planned refeed or free meal is a good thing. A cheat meal means you cheated... you did not stick to your diet. Its not the same thing. That's why I said he should not have any cheat meals, his higher caloric meals should be eaten with intent. Doesn't mean he can't have goodies at that meal but it should be for a purpose other than just tasting yummy food. Trying to give the guy optimal practices, not lifestyle generalizations about nutrition. Both work but for someone starting a thread asking why he isn't losing weight I figured he would want optimal solutions, and then take what he wants and leave the rest.

As an example of things that can be easily used in your program that are not typically seen as anything you would eat during a period of focusing on fat loss. I use poptarts, or dry sugary cereal for a lot of my post workout carbs. I need the insulin release, it is both easy to eat, and digest which makes it perfect for this time. It is also a time that I am just too amped up to eat most other foods, and they will often make me sick. However nothing like that happens here with the Pop Tarts because they are easy to eat and digest. I get my micro-nutrients from all of my other meals so the fact there are not a ton of them in this is not a problem at all. I am purely after the glycogen and the insulin response here and it works perfectly for me. I have been doing this throughout the last 4 weeks while also losing at least 6lbs of fat and adding 2lbs of muscle back on. Some might consider that a cheat food but in this case it is not. It is planned and the food source picked specifically based on the reaction I want my body to have to the food. So my staunch belief in no cheat meals does not mean that there are not times where highly processed foods can not be of great assistance as long as used with appropriate timing and specificity.

Chados

Chados

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Nice, I agree with everything but the cheat meals.

Curious, How much weight did you have to lose to get under 200lbs, and how long did it take you to find your maintenance calories that are keeping you from regaining the weight without any cardio?

If referring to me saying there should be Zero cheat meals, you may be mistaking a planned free meal, or refeed for a cheat meal. Cheat meals are just that, cheating yourself and the nutrition plan. A planned refeed or free meal is a good thing. A cheat meal means you cheated... you did not stick to your diet. Its not the same thing. That's why I said he should not have any cheat meals, his higher caloric meals should be eaten with intent. Doesn't mean he can't have goodies at that meal but it should be for a purpose other than just tasting yummy food. Trying to give the guy optimal practices, not lifestyle generalizations about nutrition. Both work but for someone starting a thread asking why he isn't losing weight I figured he would want optimal solutions, and then take what he wants and leave the rest.

As an example of things that can be easily used in your program that are not typically seen as anything you would eat during a period of focusing on fat loss. I use poptarts, or dry sugary cereal for a lot of my post workout carbs. I need the insulin release, it is both easy to eat, and digest which makes it perfect for this time. It is also a time that I am just too amped up to eat most other foods, and they will often make me sick. However nothing like that happens here with the Pop Tarts because they are easy to eat and digest. I get my micro-nutrients from all of my other meals so the fact there are not a ton of them in this is not a problem at all. I am purely after the glycogen and the insulin response here and it works perfectly for me. I have been doing this throughout the last 4 weeks while also losing at least 6lbs of fat and adding 2lbs of muscle back on. Some might consider that a cheat food but in this case it is not. It is planned and the food source picked specifically based on the reaction I want my body to have to the food. So my staunch belief in no cheat meals does not mean that there are not times where highly processed foods can not be of great assistance as long as used with appropriate timing and specificity.

Okay well this I agree with. I don't know exactly how I found it and I don't even know I its perfect but I'm standing still. I have never been above 200 since that's not a weight I'm comfortable with. I've been around 198 and that with a very low body fat. To be honest my favorite weight is about 185-190. I dont like looking at the scale but rather the mirror as a measurement.

nubioso

nubioso

Awards
  • Established
I would say for at least the first month, you should not indulge in any cheat meals. The definition I'm using for a cheat meal is like having a pizza or a good hamburger from a restaurant.

When I was initially losing weight, I was very strict with myself and pretty much stuck with a ketogenic diet as well. However, once a week I would have a refeed day and have higher carbs. Even still, these were clean carbs, not sodas and candy. Quinoa, jasmine rice, oats, sweet potatoes, Etc

Got to the point where going out for sushi was a nice cheat meal for me even though that is realistically pretty clean eating especially since I do not get anything tempura fried.

I think a lot of people are saying the same things, but saying them in varying degrees. Ultimately, some combination of everything is true and will work for you, adversely some of that is bull**** and won't work for you.

Also, in regards to the Pop-Tarts, he's absolutely right. This is where just learning about nutrient timing comes into place as well as learning more about each of the macros. You do have to research diet and nutrition a little bit to understand how you are affecting your body via food.

Pinggolfee96

Awards
  • Established
either not tracking right or have a hormonal issue....

Sharlaralphie

Awards
I would just like to add my two cents,
Look into intermittent fasting and educate yourself on insulin and gluconeogenesis, just know protein does cause an insulin spike and high insulin=fat and when insulin is high growth hormone is low.
I have just lost 70lbs this year alone
IMG_20170809_112331.jpg
IMG_20170817_155217.jpg

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I would just like to add my two cents,
Look into intermittent fasting and educate yourself on insulin and gluconeogenesis, just know protein does cause an insulin spike and high insulin=fat and when insulin is high growth hormone is low.
I have just lost 70lbs this year aloneView attachment 153684View attachment 153685
High insulin does not = fat. That statement is simply incorrect. Chronically high insulin levels CAN cause fat, along with a plethora of other issues. However someone could intentionally spike insulin all day long and still not eat enough calories to gain any fat at all. They could actually still get leaner while doing so. There is just a lot more to it than just High Insulin = fat. If someone's maintenance is 3000 calories a day they could eat 400-500 grams of carbs throughout the day but keep the calories under 3000 and still lean up. Macros make a difference but it is only about 5% of the total difference in the results of a diet, the main one is still calories in Vs calories out. So to put that in perspective if macros specificity was not paid attention to, and calories in VS calories out were the same, the biggest difference would be say if you were to lose 10lbs in 3 months you might have managed to lose 10.5lbs if you had your macros perfect.

IF is a GREAT nutritional eating style for fat loss and it's control and manipulation of insulin and insulin sensitivity make it a very convenient and effective lifestyle diet. I think the convenience of it as well as having more calorie dense food options make it more attractive and sustainable for many people who have a hard time dieting in other ways. It's a great suggestion but be careful about over generalizing high insulin, it can and should be used as a very specific tool for anabolic response. I assume you intentionally spike you insulin for anabolic reasons don't you? Most IF protocols for people who workout suggest most of the calories and carbohydrates be post workout and suggest a massive insulin splike IE High Insulin to shuttle the nutrients into the muscle for recovery.

By the way looking good man.

Sharlaralphie

Awards
What im referring to is a carbohydrate or protein induced insulin spike, which will cause you to inhibit fat burning to a degree, depending on what type of protein/carb and how much.

Rule of thumb, insulin can benefit you around workout due to its nutrient transporting and anabolic properties, and if fat loss is the main concern, keeping insulin low, which keeps GH higher, is ideal because lipolysis and fat oxidation will be elevated.
In the end it is a caloric surplus or deficit that will change results though