First proper cutting diet

Sparta12

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
So I have never really counted calories or anything before, but I am getting older and extremely out of shape at the moment. I had a few questions about nutrient timing vs training.

8am- Breakfast

10.30- Protein Shake

1.30- Lunch

3.30 - 15 almonds

Here is where my question is, normally I eat around 5.30 then go to the gym around 6.30 then have my post WO shake, but is it still ok to have my protein shake around 5, go home then go straight to the gym so get there around 5.45 then train and eat my dinner as the post work out source, normally pretty high protein with some kind of rice/patato (the mrs makes random ****, atm I am too lazy to cook my own haha)

I am 26, 98kgs, 186cms and around 19% bf
I am on around 2000-2100 calories trying to cut some fat, with 4-5 sets/12-15 reps and 4-5 exercises for big body parts and 1-3 for smaller (bi/tris)

Cardio is not too high atm, just 5 mins on the bike then finish with 5-10 mins HIIT

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Your setup looks fine. What really matters is the calories in each meal, and if you're able to maintain a deficit throughout the week. I wouldn't worry about having a shake close to dinner. If it fits into your macros and you're hitting your protein goals for the day it's all good.

Are you currently tracking macros/calories in all of your meals? What are your goals for the cut?

Sparta12

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Your setup looks fine. What really matters is the calories in each meal, and if you're able to maintain a deficit throughout the week. I wouldn't worry about having a shake close to dinner. If it fits into your macros and you're hitting your protein goals for the day it's all good.

Are you currently tracking macros/calories in all of your meals? What are your goals for the cut?
I am tracking calories in each meal, not really macros tho, eating healthy as possible... my goal is to shred some bf% and not drop too much muscle, want to get down to 12% then will prob look into using lgd or epistane for recomp

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I am tracking calories in each meal, not really macros tho, eating healthy as possible... my goal is to shred some bf% and not drop too much muscle, want to get down to 12% then will prob look into using lgd or epistane for recomp
That's good. Like said above just be in a deficit and you should cut and get down to that bf.

Sparta12

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I am itching to burn this fat off, really tempting to just jump on Epistane and Super Dhea to shred fat fast, but I will stay natty for as long as I can, atleast 15% bf, I am also worried about the DHT from those two products as I do have MPB (under control atm, not really losing any hair at all) when I last used epi I only had slight shedding on right temple, but other than that not much... I was a few years younger tho and it feels like it might be more aggressive now though :(

Sparta12

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
20170716_105646.jpg

So what should my next cycle be? Any input, wanting to recomp/put on a bit of size and maintain or if possible lower bf%

I wont start this for another month atleast, still aiming for 12-14% bf first

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am itching to burn this fat off, really tempting to just jump on Epistane and Super Dhea to shred fat fast, but I will stay natty for as long as I can, atleast 15% bf, I am also worried about the DHT from those two products as I do have MPB (under control atm, not really losing any hair at all) when I last used epi I only had slight shedding on right temple, but other than that not much... I was a few years younger tho and it feels like it might be more aggressive now though :(
What will help you burn fat faster is to kick up your cardio and eat the same boring stuff for about 4 weeks with no cheats. It'll put you in a waaaaay better spot to actually use those compounds for adding size and lowering bf with the help on increased insulin sensitivity.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Well damn I was gonna tag john.patterson lol that's right on point. Grade A info.
Thanks brotha!

That's quite the stash of goodies there. In all honesty though, I would spend the next solid 4 weeks focusing 100% on nutrition. The best way to track progress and see what is working and what isn't (supplement wise and training wise) is to closely monitor nutrition. If your goal is fat loss and you're currently sitting around 19% you shouldn't need any fancy supplements, especially PH's or SARMs, to see some solid results. My only supplement recommendation would be to add in a thermogenic at the most. Using a product like Oxymax XT would be beneficial at controlling appetite, improving mood and energy, and helping aid in fat loss.

Sparta12

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Thanks brotha!

That's quite the stash of goodies there. In all honesty though, I would spend the next solid 4 weeks focusing 100% on nutrition. The best way to track progress and see what is working and what isn't (supplement wise and training wise) is to closely monitor nutrition. If your goal is fat loss and you're currently sitting around 19% you shouldn't need any fancy supplements, especially PH's or SARMs, to see some solid results. My only supplement recommendation would be to add in a thermogenic at the most. Using a product like Oxymax XT would be beneficial at controlling appetite, improving mood and energy, and helping aid in fat loss.
Yeah man thanks for the advice, I agree I want to get to about 12-14% percent then see how I look and work out whether or not I will start a cycle, I wasnt going to start anything before then, just itching to! haha

I have already made good results just dieting properly in the past week, think ive lost 1% (calipers) I did do an electric scale reading, but they are so random sometimes (the number was higher than I should be, but I will weigh in next week and compare the difference)

What do you think about adding cardarine in? or do you think i should wait until around 15% or as low as I can get then use extra goodies? I kind of want to do that, but I am impatient too haha

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Yeah man thanks for the advice, I agree I want to get to about 12-14% percent then see how I look and work out whether or not I will start a cycle, I wasnt going to start anything before then, just itching to! haha

I have already made good results just dieting properly in the past week, think ive lost 1% (calipers) I did do an electric scale reading, but they are so random sometimes (the number was higher than I should be, but I will weigh in next week and compare the difference)

What do you think about adding cardarine in? or do you think i should wait until around 15% or as low as I can get then use extra goodies? I kind of want to do that, but I am impatient too haha
If you're already starting to see change after just from cleaning up your diet, I would stick with that for now and see how far you can push yourself before adding in cardarine. Like I said, I've never used it, but I know it can be effective - and it's also expensive. So saving it for when you really need that extra push would probably be best.

I would recommend adding in a thermogenic before adding in cardarine while dieting. Once you feel like you're in a good rhythm with your diet and you're being consistent with nutrition and training, utilizing a thermogenic would be a good option. A product like Oxymax XT would help you with energy levels and mood which can make dieting a lot easier. I think saving cardarine toward the end of your cut would be the best option, add that in when you're really digging deep and working off that last bit of bodyfat.

APC80

APC80

Awards

Cardarine won't help with fat loss IME but it gives you a definite endurance boost and better recovery. Save it till you're really hitting the cardio hard near the end of your cut.

agsiul

Awards
Hey brother, I don't know anything about this Macros/Calories thing. All I know is count the calories!! Make sure you burn more calories than you take in. Not only that, but for us to really give you any advice we would need to know: What you are eating for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The reason for this is to be able to see if the calories are "full" or "empty calories. Not only that but what is in your protein?

So here is what I am seeing from your post:

1. Your not eating enough protein. Protein is the key to maintaining what you have and burning what you don't want. If you do not maintain your protein your body will break down the muscle to create glucose to feed other muscles. So you would basically be eating yourself while you personally eat what your body doesn't need and only stores because it thinks your starving. If your protein is low in carbs you can eat it as much as you want. You will just urinate or defecate out what you don't need. So eat protein all you want, especially when you feel your getting hungry.
2. Your workout system needs to be adjusted. (I might be miss understanding the times of exercises). You need to do the HIIT training first thing in the morning when waking. DO NOT EAT before this. But do drink at least 16oz water before and then more during. This will throw your metabolic rate into hyper drive and start burning the fat cells for fuel. Drink a protein shake right after. Make sure your protein does not have a lot of carbs, or no carbs at all. After about an hour of getting ready for your day or whatever you have going on, eat a nice "FULL" Calorie breakfast (eggs, 1piece of toast, and some vegetables. Do not eat sugar cereal or anything crazy like that). Get out of the mind set that you MUST eat cereal for breakfast and that social capitalistic stigma of what is appropriate for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Don't eat for taste, eat for necessity. Break up your carbs (almonds or another nut through out the day) don't eat your good carbs in one sitting. Your making your body go crazy and wanting to hold on to whatever it can. As far as carbs goes. Anything white will turn straight to sugar. Like white rice, potatoes, cauliflower things like that. Eat brown rice and lots of greens. I think i might be going to far into the diet here. Sorry about that. Do your research on good carbs, good proteins and good fats. Also look up the diet for your blood type. Not that you have to follow it to a "T" but to help get you on the right path to helping your body get what it needs.

So Im going to adjust your routine for you to better simplify what Im trying to say:

6:30.... wake up and drink water, get ready for HIIT
7:00.... Conduct HIIT training (drink water during)
7:15, 7:30.... HIIT workout finished, **DRINK PROTEIN** and start getting ready for the day
8:00....eat a small breakfast (a fruit (for your sugars) eggs or something (for protein), almonds or green veggies (for carbs), and Avocado (or something for fats)
10:00 - 10:30.... Protein shake
1:00 - 1:30.... Meal. same as breakfast but instead of eggs eat pork, fish, tofu, or some type of read meat.
3:30....drink a protein shake with your almonds.

ok... I think I gave you a lot of extra info. To answer you question. I would not eat my meal before bed. Its too heavy and your body needs easy access to protein to build. If you wanted to do that I would eat a protein drink with your dinner and another before bed. The reason I say this is anything from dinner you body does not need it will get rid of. Now know this too.... that when you change something in your routine your body will go into a "save everything mode" until it sees that "oh wait.. Im getting everything I need so I can let this stuff go" mind set. Its kind of crazy to think but yes. Your body has a mind of its own. And that is the way you have to look at it and work with it.

Brother. I truly apologize for going off on a tangent. I get caught up in stuff like this. If you have any questions please ask.

APC80

APC80

Awards
Please don't listen to the above advice. Nuts are NOT a source of carbs, they're mostly fat with some protein and you can't eat as much protein as ya want without getting fat. Also fasted cardio is good but it's not much better than doing it after your workout when glycogen stores are depleted. Ffs the man thinks cauliflower is full of sugar lol

Don't worry about eating simple carbs post workout either you'll just be replacing glycogen, in fact if you're going to have sugars at all this is the best time.

Also, what the **** does "empty calories" mean?

agsiul

Awards
Its Carnivore brother. Im allergic to soy, wheat, barley, dairy....basically all I can eat is Carnivore. I don't use the mass. Its 120 cal, 0 fat, 8g carbs, and 23g protein per 1 scoop. So yeah.... I can eat as much of it as I want. Plus with something like this I ensure that while I'm eating Im also staying hydrated. Which being de-hydrated actually increases or confuses the person to think they are hungry and make bad choices.

Dz23

Dz23

Awards
**** sake you Yorkshire lads really are cheap skates lol
I like to use a good quality protein powder before bed and usually go with chocolate flavour, add oats and powdered peanut butter mixed up with milk.

If u haven't tried that powdered peanut butter then I recommend u look into it, It is really versatile and macros are good ?

Dz23

Dz23

Awards
I like to use a good quality protein powder before bed and usually go with chocolate flavour, add oats and powdered peanut butter mixed up with milk.

If u haven't tried that powdered peanut butter then I recommend u look into it, It is really versatile and macros are good ?
Obviously no good to the op as he is lactose intolerant.

APC80

APC80

Awards

If u haven't tried that powdered peanut butter then I recommend u look into it, It is really versatile and macros are good ��
I'll have to check it out cos the PB I have is natural, it's really oily I'm not fancying it at all. Would ya get it on amazon?

I'm lactose intolerant too, I have a whey shake without taking my lactase tablets ya don't wanna be in the same room as me for about 3 hours after. Farts would make ya puke, literally. Dont even talk to me about casein I would need to wear a nappy after a scoop of it, does some nasty nasty things to my insides.

Sparta12

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
How much protein should i roughly be going for? Im at the bare minimum over 130grams of protein a day... im away atm and cbf calculating properly lol

Atm i seem to be maintaining weight and losing fat ?

98kgs probs around 18%

APC80

APC80

Awards
How do you know you're losing fat? At your bf% you'll drop fat fast as hell if your diets right, unlikely that you'll maintain weight and lose fat as the rate of building muscle won't be fast enough to cancel out the fat loss on the scale. Taking waist measurements at the navel every morning before you've eaten is a good indicator of fat loss, in men anyway.

You should be hitting around 1g per lb of body weight in protein to keep/build muscle.

agsiul

Awards
Please don't listen to the above advice. Nuts are NOT a source of carbs, they're mostly fat with some protein and you can't eat as much protein as ya want without getting fat. Also fasted cardio is good but it's not much better than doing it after your workout when glycogen stores are depleted. Ffs the man thinks cauliflower is full of sugar lol

Don't worry about eating simple carbs post workout either you'll just be replacing glycogen, in fact if you're going to have sugars at all this is the best time.

Also, what the **** does "empty calories" mean?

I guess being in your 20s and thin you know what an obese person needs. Seriously kid!!!?? Hey "Sparta12" do your research. Lets see... IF you googled how many carbs are in 1.0oz whole raw almonds (preparation will also play a role) you would see that there are 6 grams of carbs and 6 grams of protein. The fats in almonds are good fats...FATS you need. There are good fats and bad fats. I would think anyone on a forum like this would have a basic understanding of "empty calories"- I digress.... Eating lean meat calories would not be the same as eating potato chips. Simply: "Cheeseburger bad, roast chicken good".... In regard to cauliflower being "sugar", cauliflower and other white colored foods (by and large) have carbs. Unused, carbs become sugar- aka- glucose. Something you do also need, but in moderation if you are attempting to lose weight. YOU CAN EAT AS MUCH PROTEIN AS YOU WANT as long as it is low sugar, low carb- AND it has to be in *direct correlation with how much you are working out.* YES if youre drinking a **** ton of protein shakes and sitting on your ass it wouldn't be much different than choking down snickers. A lack of protein and too much muscle use can result in Rabdo.... because your muscles will begin to break down other essentials- like your ORGANS. In regard to protein, the general rule is 1g/1lb of body weight just to MAINTAIN.... but if you continuously progress to more reps/weight, it will add more stress and repair necessity to your muscles, requiring MORE protein. Bottom line, as long as youre doing the work, you're fine. In order to lose weight, you have to gain muscle.

Sparta12

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
How do you know you're losing fat? At your bf% you'll drop fat fast as hell if your diets right, unlikely that you'll maintain weight and lose fat as the rate of building muscle won't be fast enough to cancel out the fat loss on the scale. Taking waist measurements at the navel every morning before you've eaten is a good indicator of fat loss, in men anyway.

You should be hitting around 1g per lb of body weight in protein to keep/build muscle.
I am looking leaner and muscles are already more defined/shapely... i used to be around 9-12% for years, I kind of feel like the body remembers and really wants to help me get in shape haha, I have dropped around 2% according to the electronic scales, but i am also around the same weight... in regards to the protein, I read its LBM not body weight that is recommended, I hate trying to udnerstand all this stuff haha, it changes person to person

APC80

APC80

Awards
Kid?? lol I'm 36. At least you've researched a bit and realised nuts are a source of good fats but you need to do a bit more. Fats and protein can be turned into glucose for your body to use as fuel and you won't lose weight if you eat too much protein, 1g of protein is 4 calories, you eat more calories than you burn and you gain weight.

Really, in order to lose weight you have to gain muscle?? Muscle is weight, you gain muscle you gain weight. What planet are you on?

Ps the guys not obese.

agsiul

Awards
wow... re-read. Lets talk about communication ****tard. Don't read to RESPOND... Read to understand. You basically just said what I said. With his BMI he would have been considered obese. Not only that.. but if you looked at his stats.. he is 6'2 and 196lbs and only eating 130g of protein. So in theory, if just to maintain his current muscle mass he isn't eating enough "PROTIEN". As far as gaining muscle to burn fat he needs to BUILD muscle to burn the fat.... strange... I feel like we are saying the same thing over and over again. And Im def not sure I would take advise from someone who doesn't post stats but can sure give a **** ton of info. Your a freaking keyboard hero. Have your mom bring you a hot pocket. I'm going to spend time with my fine ass wife while you keep trolling for ego points.

Sparta12

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Btw re calculated what I eat and its roughly around 180-195 grams of protein, i wasnt including protein snacks before i have these low fat/low carb mousse things i eat, about 25 grams in them

Sparta12

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
20170722_123246.jpg

Love these bad boys for when im craving sweets

APC80

APC80

Awards
What stats do ya want me to post on someone else's thread ya nut?

BMI is a load of crap, I'm obese according to my BMI sitting at ~11-12% body fat. I seriously doubt OP is obese.

Btw I'm not just a "keyboard hero" I'm a ****in hero full stop lol ask your wife

agsiul

Awards
Hi! Wife here.
On your own profile, limp dick.
I'd agree BMI is a load. That was his point.
I'll pass. If he's 44 and I'm 32- you can see that I'm here for a reason. :)

APC80

APC80

Awards
Hi! Wife here.
On your own profile, limp dick.
I'd agree BMI is a load. That was his point.
I'll pass. If he's 44 and I'm 32- you can see that I'm here for a reason. :)
Yes I can see you're here to lose a lot of weight, good luck with that. You'll get plenty of good info here on AM. Can't post stats I'm on the app they'd be in kg anyway you 'murecans wouldn't understand them.

Btw only joking about the wife mate don't take it personal. I'm sure she looks like a bag of spuds anyway.

APC80

APC80

Awards
I am looking leaner and muscles are already more defined/shapely... i used to be around 9-12% for years, I kind of feel like the body remembers and really wants to help me get in shape haha, I have dropped around 2% according to the electronic scales, but i am also around the same weight... in regards to the protein, I read its LBM not body weight that is recommended, I hate trying to udnerstand all this stuff haha, it changes person to person
If you're naturally lean you'll get there in no time mate, the weight will fly off. Just don't drop cals too quickly, if you do you'll have nowhere to go when fat loss stalls. I'm speaking from experience, as an impatient twat, I just had to have a week diet break there just to jump start my metabolism again.

I know there's so much contradicting info about protein intake you should just monitor how it goes. Everyone's different there's so many variables like how much of it your body's actually absorbing and using. A lot depends on how hard you're training, I cut volume way down when cutting so I can recover better so I just go with 1g/lb but someone training harder and longer may need more. Listen to your body.

Sparta12

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
If you're naturally lean you'll get there in no time mate, the weight will fly off. Just don't drop cals too quickly, if you do you'll have nowhere to go when fat loss stalls. I'm speaking from experience, as an impatient twat, I just had to have a week diet break there just to jump start my metabolism again.

I know there's so much contradicting info about protein intake you should just monitor how it goes. Everyone's different there's so many variables like how much of it your body's actually absorbing and using. A lot depends on how hard you're training, I cut volume way down when cutting so I can recover better so I just go with 1g/lb but someone training harder and longer may need more. Listen to your body.
Thanks for the info mate, I am naturally lean, when i tell people I am cutting they get very confused, but I have a fair bit of fat I need to get rid of and tone up (mainly lower abs, hips and glutes). Then I can get dat size

APC80

APC80

Awards
Thanks for the info mate, I am naturally lean, when i tell people I am cutting they get very confused, but I have a fair bit of fat I need to get rid of and tone up (mainly lower abs, hips and glutes). Then I can get dat size
Same here, with a shirt on at 18% bf I still don't look fat but it's a different story when I take it off lol

Don't panic if it looks like you're losing muscle, even if you are it'll come back quickly once you start eating properly again, as it's probably just empty glycogen stores meaning less water held in the muscle. You'll go through periods where you think you're small and flat and just wanna give up but just push through it and keep the end goal in mind, cutting can be a psychological head **** but all the hard work shows through when you hit ~12%.

Good luck with it mate.

Dz23

Dz23

Awards
I'll have to check it out cos the PB I have is natural, it's really oily I'm not fancying it at all. Would ya get it on amazon?

I'm lactose intolerant too, I have a whey shake without taking my lactase tablets ya don't wanna be in the same room as me for about 3 hours after. Farts would make ya puke, literally. Dont even talk to me about casein I would need to wear a nappy after a scoop of it, does some nasty nasty things to my insides.
Yeah amazon bro